Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

Also, the Schwab flavor of Amex Plat liquidates points at 1.25c/point into a Schwab checking account - so the 4x is effectively 5c/point vs Chase 3x worth 4.5c/point if you're not going down the points transfer route.

per dollar spent for those last ones, you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

astral posted:

per dollar spent for those last ones, you mean

yes sorry, 5c per dollar spent and 4.5c per dollar spent

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

What’s the recommended 2% cash back card to get? I have like 5 cards to chase rotating categories, but still a lot of my purchases don’t fall into any category so I just get 1% on them.

The only one I’ve seen is the Citi Double Cash one, but I’m open to a better one if it exists.

I know I'm really late to reply to this, but it may be worthwhile for others.

As someone who has a lot of cards that earn 3% - 5% on various categories I find myself rarely using my double cash card so it takes me quite a while to break the threshold for redemption. This is why I would consider the PayPal Cashback Mastercard that earns 2% without a minimum redemption.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Girbot posted:

I know I'm really late to reply to this, but it may be worthwhile for others.

As someone who has a lot of cards that earn 3% - 5% on various categories I find myself rarely using my double cash card so it takes me quite a while to break the threshold for redemption. This is why I would consider the PayPal Cashback Mastercard that earns 2% without a minimum redemption.

Personally, I'd rather be able to take advantage of Citi's excellent price protection and +2yr extended warranty. To me, they are worth quite a bit more than the slight drawback of a $25 minimum redemption.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, honestly I'm often better-off putting my Amazon purchases on the DoubleCash rather than the Amazon card. I lose 3% cash back, but usually get more than that back from price rewind. Kind of a disappointing realization after getting the Amazon card earlier this year.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That's fair. I'm not vigilant enough to keep checking prices of things I've already bought, aside from running Honey for thing I buy cyclically through Amazon. I get notified when things on my drop-list hit below a threshold and then I generally stock up on things like protein powder, supplements, and cat food, at that point.

I guess using the Double Cash when such a price valley hasn't come on an item I've run out of wouldn't be a bad idea.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like most of the things I buy off Amazon aren't eligible because they are consumable. Still good to know, though.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 16, 2018

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I guess the fact that I have no storage space is a pretty important factor.

I do get things like soap, toothpaste, etc. on Amazon, so getting 5% on that is still decent. But for everything eligible for price protection, I just check the price history, and if there's a reasonable chance it'll drop, it always goes on the DoubleCash.

Often Citi will find a better price with no effort on my part, and sometimes what they find shouldn't even be valid, but they accept it anyway. The other day I got 80% off a pair of sandals from what I assume was a pricing error at a store I've never heard of, but they found it and gave me the difference no problem. :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hostile apostle posted:

The Amex airline fee credit is basically a rebate in my mind, its very easy to get your money back if you know the tricks. There are many data points on Flyertalk, e.g.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-9.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1812734-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-aa-only.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300459-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-only-22.html

With AA you can buy gift cards. I personally do Alaska. With Alaska, if you book a fare under $100 and cancel during the 24HR refund window, it will still trigger the credit. I try to wait until the next day but before the 24hr period expires to ensure the charge posts. I've done it 2 years in a row now since the United MPX trick no longer works.

----

Personally, I am weighing keeping the Amex Gold and dropping the CSR. Restaurant & grocery 4X put it over the CSR for me. I can definitely use the $10 grubhub credit once a month for takeout.

For flights, I already use 5X on the Platinum card + Uber credit is very easy for me to use, Saks credit can be used for gift cards in store, and I use Centurion lounge. For Hotels, I use the hotel chain card for a much better return (I usually stay at Marriott for work travel and can use personal cards). Citi double cash or Chase Freedom (depending on quarterly bonus) for everything else.

For my personal usage I see limited need for the CSR any more, but everyone is different.

Thanks for posting this since I'm going through the same math. If I cancel my CSR next year, how do I not lose the chase points?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for posting this since I'm going through the same math. If I cancel my CSR next year, how do I not lose the chase points?

Do a product change - you can downgrade to the Sapphire card which does not have an annual fee. You can still transfer the points to partners but they won't be redeemable for 1.5c on travel obviously.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 16, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

Do a product change - you can downgrade to the Sapphire card which does not have an annual fee. You can still transfer the points to partners but they won't be redeemable for 1.5c on travel obviously.

Regular Sapphire doesn't transfer. CSP/CSR and one of the Inks can, afaik.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

astral posted:

Regular Sapphire doesn't transfer. CSP/CSR and one of the Inks can, afaik.

You can downgrade to keep your points though. Either Freedom would allow you to transfer the points to that card and keep them as well.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
A general question, what's the lowest rate any of you have on a credit card?

I never carry a balance but I was checking up the first credit card I ever signed up for (a Discover) after a limit increase and I noticed the interest rate was 10%, which while not really low on its own is low compared to my other cards, which are typically around 20%.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

How often do you guys have anything eligible for the Citi price rewind? I just recently got my Doublecash and honestly didn't realize that was a feature.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Power of Pecota posted:

How often do you guys have anything eligible for the Citi price rewind? I just recently got my Doublecash and honestly didn't realize that was a feature.

I've had the card for a few years and never use it, but I don't make big purchases often

Kind of wish they'd drop it and waive the Foreign Transaction Fee instead - having to keep an extra card just for international travel is annoying

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

I bought a bike rack at a local store for like 150 and Amazon had it for 120 and I submitted a price rewind and they gave it to me.

It was good because I needed the rack same day and the store couldn't price match because the Amazon price was below wholesale cost

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

A general question, what's the lowest rate any of you have on a credit card?

I never carry a balance but I was checking up the first credit card I ever signed up for (a Discover) after a limit increase and I noticed the interest rate was 10%, which while not really low on its own is low compared to my other cards, which are typically around 20%.

Yeah I have a super old BoA card with like an 11% rate but I don't use it for anything except keeping my age of credit or whatever old. It's why I was stunned when I got my Freedom card at 24%, even though that was like 12 years later and my credit was almost flawless. I know it doesn't matter if you never carry a balance, but it's the principle of the thing!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

A couple of times in the past few months, and I have no doubt some of the things I have recently purchased (or will in the next month or two) will end up going on sale for Black Friday.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 18, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

All the time!

But I use it for tech purchases usually. Things like TVs, monitors, Cell phones, etc where I'm pretty sure the price will change in the next 2 months. It isn't a huge 'reward' as much as making it easier for me to bite the bullet on getting something now while still 'buying it' for the 2 month later price.

I have also used it to purchase from my preferred vendor and then get the lovely vendor price.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

Often. I don't buy much stuff, and I'm at well over $500 back for the past two years. As I mentioned in my previous post above, frequently it finds better prices without any searching on my part, sometimes including pricing errors. Some of the best were the aforementioned 80% back on sandals, and before that 70% back on a jacket. I think I've actually gotten a significant discount on all the shoes, accessories (bags, purses), and furniture I've ever put on the card.

I also built my PC during Black Friday/Cyber Monday last year, and despite those heavy discounts, half the parts were discounted further through price rewind (although I think I submitted some manually after randomly checking a few weeks later).

And yeah, if something is the same total price at two places, but one has a lower item cost with higher tax and shipping, you can absolutely buy at the other place and price rewind to the lower item cost anyway.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Does anyone here have the Alaska Airlines card? I got an email about it, and I'm thinking of picking it up. 30,000 miles plus a companion ticket for just fees/taxes after spending $1000 in the first three months, and then one companion fare ($99 + fees/taxes each anniversary) for $75 annual fee.

Do they have a lot of limits on the companion fares? Like, could I use it for a round trip ticket to Hawaii from Chicago?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Does anyone here have the Alaska Airlines card? I got an email about it, and I'm thinking of picking it up. 30,000 miles plus a companion ticket for just fees/taxes after spending $1000 in the first three months, and then one companion fare ($99 + fees/taxes each anniversary) for $75 annual fee.

Do they have a lot of limits on the companion fares? Like, could I use it for a round trip ticket to Hawaii from Chicago?

There's no limit on the route or cost of the paid fare. However, it can only be used on economy and it has to be done at the time of booking through Alaska only (no 3rd party site like kayak). It only works on Alaska metal, no partners. Also, companion fare is non refundable.

One thing that I wish the card had was better boarding position like a lot of other airlines, but you do get free checked bag at least. The companion pass is a pretty great deal if you know you can use it.

If you want to apply, I have a referral link ;)

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCC...153995767576343

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My mom is an old and set in her ways.

She is retired and has become a snowbird that flies down to Florida about 4 times per year with my Dad.

She recently signed up for a United Credit Card on the airplane with no sign-up bonus and an annual fee of $89. She doesn't know what kind of card it is, but it sounds like she has a lovely card. I am knowledgeable about the cashback and general use cards, but I have no clue about cards that deal exclusively in miles.

If they fly exclusively United/American Airlines (I believe they are the same company now) and need roughly 8 roundtrip tickets per year (2 per trip), then is there another card I can convince them to get onto that would be better for their situation?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 19, 2018

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My mom is an old and set in her ways.

She is retired and has become a snowbird that flies down to Florida about 4 times per year with my Dad.

She recently signed up for a United Credit Card on the airplane with no sign-up bonus and an annual fee of $89. She doesn't know what kind of card it is, but it sounds like she has a lovely card. I am knowledgeable about the cashback and general use cards, but I have no clue about cards that deal exclusively in miles.

If they fly exclusively United/American Airlines (I believe they are the same company now) and need roughly 8 roundtrip tickets per year (2 per trip), then is there another card I can convince them to get onto that would be better for their situation?

United and American are different.

I'd be surprised if she didn't have some kind of bonus, probably after $2K spend.

This is probably the card she has:
https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/united-mileageplus-explorer

It's not a bad deal if you want to save on checked bag fees, also it will let you bring a bag on board for free on a basic economy fare. Also now includes a TSA credit.

United card holders have a bit more award availability than non card holders, but that's a marginal benefit.

There are definitely better points earning cards out there for the same AF like the sapphire preferred or even the reserve for her use, which will also allow points transfer to United, but it's not a terrible card if you get value from the bag benefit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

hostile apostle posted:

United and American are different.

I'd be surprised if she didn't have some kind of bonus, probably after $2K spend.

This is probably the card she has:
https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/united-mileageplus-explorer

It's not a bad deal if you want to save on checked bag fees, also it will let you bring a bag on board for free on a basic economy fare. Also now includes a TSA credit.

United card holders have a bit more award availability than non card holders, but that's a marginal benefit.

There are definitely better points earning cards out there for the same AF like the sapphire preferred or even the reserve for her use, which will also allow points transfer to United, but it's not a terrible card if you get value from the bag benefit.

Maybe she was saying a different airline.

She mentioned that she can use her miles on two different airlines.

I don't think she has the Chase card, she showed it to me quickly on a video chat and I believe the card was a deep black.

She also specifically said the AF was $89 per year, but she could be mistaken on that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 19, 2018

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Well it seems like you're unsure about nearly every aspect. Knowing the exact card would be good, but United in particular shills the gently caress out of their card on every single flight so your mom probably fell for it. It's incredibly annoying to be advertised at multiple times about a credit card while onboard, I don't know why more people don't complain. It must be really effective.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the last guy who complained about the service on a united flight didn't fare too well

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

hostile apostle posted:

There's no limit on the route or cost of the paid fare. However, it can only be used on economy and it has to be done at the time of booking through Alaska only (no 3rd party site like kayak). It only works on Alaska metal, no partners. Also, companion fare is non refundable.

One thing that I wish the card had was better boarding position like a lot of other airlines, but you do get free checked bag at least. The companion pass is a pretty great deal if you know you can use it.

If you want to apply, I have a referral link ;)

https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCC...153995767576343

One other important caveat on the companion fare: you have to buy the first ticket. You can't do a mileage redemption and then bolt a companion fare onto it.

Also, it only works in coach; no getting two first class seats for the price of one and a bit. If you're MVP Gold you can apply your upgrades, though.

It's still a pretty good deal if you can count on taking at least one long-distance trip with a partner every year on Alaska.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Space Gopher posted:

One other important caveat on the companion fare: you have to buy the first ticket. You can't do a mileage redemption and then bolt a companion fare onto it.

Also, it only works in coach; no getting two first class seats for the price of one and a bit. If you're MVP Gold you can apply your upgrades, though.

It's still a pretty good deal if you can count on taking at least one long-distance trip with a partner every year on Alaska.

Yeah, I'm probably going to get it. I live in Wisconsin, and Alaska doesn't have many routes over here (One daily to Seattle from Milwaukee, and some out of Chicago to other destinations), but my gf is from Washington state and we take several trips out there each year. Normally fly out of Madison on Delta, but if we can get some free flights it'd probably be worth it to get the card. Even if we don't use it to go to Washington, we're finally getting to a point in our lives where we can take real vacations, and saving on airfare is always a plus.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Am I missing any cards? Any I can lose?

BoA Reward Visa - nothing special, don’t use it
Amazon Prime Visa - use for Amazon purchase
Amex Gold - Main card that I use for everything, have it for the $100 travel credit, insurance protections, 4x points on dining
Amex Starwood - my job has me travel for conferences and all of the conferences are at Starwood/Marriot hotels - I use this for those reservations and the one free night (which is worth more than the fee)
Chase Sapphire Preferred - travel card and I don’t pay for a second card for my wife

I could lose the Chase but it has a huge limit so I feel the fee is worth it

Thought about the Amex Plat but don’t travel enough for it to be worth it as I see - I’d use the higher airline credit, but I don’t care about lounge access

I pay $450 a year in fees but easily “earn” that back from benefits

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Chase Sapphire Preferred - travel card and I don’t pay for a second card for my wife

I could lose the Chase but it has a huge limit so I feel the fee is worth it

If you don't really use the Sapphire Preferred and don't want to pay the annual fee, you could product change it to a Chase Freedom (5% rotating categories) or Chase Freedom Unlimited (1.5% everywhere) and keep your huge limit. Neither has an annual fee, though they do have foreign transaction fees.

To product change, just call the number on the back of your card and ask them.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Oof the foreign transaction fee might be an issue. I know the Amex doesn’t have one but the last time we were overseas a lot of places didn’t take Amex.

Is there a no fee no foreign transaction fee card?

Or I could just get a new card if/when I go overseas next time.

Edit: you know what, that’s a good idea. Doing it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Oof the foreign transaction fee might be an issue. I know the Amex doesn’t have one but the last time we were overseas a lot of places didn’t take Amex.

They added the benefit of no foreign transaction fees to the Chase Amazon (and Prime) Visa in early 2017. :)

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

A bunch of the capital one cards have no af and no foreign transaction fees.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Perfect.

And done. Thanks thread!

Of course when I want to cut up the Preferred it cut the poo poo out of my hand.

This trend towards thicker credit cards is stupid. I’m looking at you Amex gold.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Perfect.

And done. Thanks thread!

Of course when I want to cut up the Preferred it cut the poo poo out of my hand.

This trend towards thicker credit cards is stupid. I’m looking at you Amex gold.

Those metal cards are harsh; I use tin snips on them, but if it ever comes up again in the future, you can ask Chase to send you a little envelope to mail it back for destruction.

Edit: Oh, and if you wanted you could contact Bank of America to see if you could product change your existing BoA card to the "Travel Rewards" card, which also has no foreign transaction fees + no annual fee.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 21, 2018

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I’m sure this has come up a million times, but through some googling and searching here I couldn’t find a good solution so hoping someone has an idea.

I go to India a lot and while my chip and sig card works fine it always throws off people at restaurants and what not. So I was looking into getting a chip and pin card.

After some googling I found out that many of the cards I have already can be “chip and pin” but the issuer can choose PIN priority vs signature priority and they’re all signature priority.

Is there any card in the US with no FTF, pin priority, and preferably an offline pin?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Vomik posted:

I’m sure this has come up a million times, but through some googling and searching here I couldn’t find a good solution so hoping someone has an idea.

I go to India a lot and while my chip and sig card works fine it always throws off people at restaurants and what not. So I was looking into getting a chip and pin card.

After some googling I found out that many of the cards I have already can be “chip and pin” but the issuer can choose PIN priority vs signature priority and they’re all signature priority.

Is there any card in the US with no FTF, pin priority, and preferably an offline pin?

I don't think so. A friend mentioned he found cards with tap and pay more convenient on a recent trip to Europe because they worked with most terminals and didn't prompt for a pin or signature. Quicksilver has tap+pay by default with no foreign transaction fee.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vomik posted:

pin priority are pretty rare:

https://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/cardsearch.php?network[]=2&network[]=1&feature[]=offline_pin&feature[]=online_pin&priority=pin&type[]=credit

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Thanks both. drat that’s pretty annoying. I can set a pin for my USAA card (which I never use) so I guess I’ll do that and bring as a backup.

According to those links, I’d have to join a credit union in places I don’t live and keep open an account which is too much of an annoyance.

Good to note on the tap to pay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Hmm, did anyone else get a targeted email offer of 50k Marriott points if you upgrade from their standard hotel card up to their new Premier Plus credit card?

Am I reading that right? That sounds like a sick deal.