Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Dark Souls 1 is still the best, Demons Souls is great but weird and extra unfriendly, DS2 has some good QoL improvements but is offset by the lame map. Haven't played DS3 yet but I think its more of a direct sequel to DS1 so you might as well do that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS1 = Bloodborne > DS3 > DeS >>>> DS2 imo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BB > DeS > DS 2 > DS1/3

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

BB > DeS > DS 2 > DS1/3

NANI?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BB > DS2 > DeS > DS1 > DS3 imo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

DS1 = Bloodborne > DS3 > DeS >>>> DS2 imo.

This except not such a big gap between DeS and DS2. DS2 is p good :kiddo:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Are you playing on Switch? How's it hold up? I asked earlier and only got one reply with an "apparently it runs bad", I am keen on first hand testimony

Playing on handheld mostly, I don't think it's too bad. I definitely saw some slowdown when I was executing the big attacks, but I was comboing enemies just fine which I think is probably the important part. I think I need to play it some more to be more knowledgeable about it though.

EDIT: To put it bluntly, there's nothing about it so far that makes it unplayable to me.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 19, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

This except not such a big gap between DeS and DS2. DS2 is p good :kiddo:

It's not even a bad game but it's the worst Souls entry by a country mile

I guess people like it for PvP but I never cared about that in Souls games.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DeS > DS3 > BB > DS1 = DS2

I'd rank BB higher but something about the visual design of that game makes exploring it a complete slog for me, a lot of things just look identical and monochromatic and hyper-detailed and I can't navigate it for poo poo. I also don't really care for Blood Vials compared to the estus flask. But goddamn if the combat doesn't make it outstanding anyway.

I'd also rank DS1 higher if it didn't have some questionable parts, like the fight with the camera Capra Demon, or the entire second half of the game.

They're all great (extremely idiosyncratic) games, though. It mostly just depends on which aspects of the design you like having emphasized.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao. I go in GameStop's website to see if the Solaire amiibo was available yet. It wasn't, Wolf was. So I ordered that. A few minutes later Solaire goes on sale.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The vast majority of the second half of ds1 is good actually.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao. I go in GameStop's website to see if the Solaire amiibo was available yet. It wasn't, Wolf was. So I ordered that. A few minutes later Solaire goes on sale.

Congrats on ordering the better amiibo :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

The vast majority of the second half of ds1 is good actually.

This

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah DS1 is fine until you beat O&S then it's downhill all the way, apart from the dlc. I guess the weird prison place that looks like something out of Demon's is okay too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I wonder where this strange rumor that the second half of Dark Souls 1 is bad comes from?

Argue posted:

Talk to one of the kids running around and he'll lead you straight there.

Thanks.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Demon's Souls does have the best area in any of the games by a long-shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any difference between Dark Souls on the Switch compared to Xbox or PS4?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The second half of DS is obviously unfinished but it's in no way bad

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Demon ruins is straight up bad

I like New Londo, the tomb and Duke's archives just fine though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Land of Dino rear end and Fire culminating in a bossfight so bad it has checkpoints that continue after you die is extremely miserable.

The rest of the second half is real good even if due to suddenly becoming open world after carefully paced intended pathways the difficulty of the bosses drops to nearly nothing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Everything past Quelaag is awful culminating in the worst boss out of any of anything in the series or series adjacent games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I know painted world is not technically gated by O&S but I always do it after them so I consider it second half territory and that's the best level in the game

Sakurazuka posted:

Everything past Quelaag is awful culminating in the worst boss out of any of anything in the series or series adjacent games.

:chloe:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean the areas after Quelaag not everything after you beat her jeeze
Unless you genuinely think Bed of Chaos isn't utterly awful I guess.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls is an amazing game but it's also getting old, definitely recommend starting with it and not the sequels because it might feel pretty bad to start with something like Bloodborne or DS3 and then go back to the slower, jankier DS1.

It's no Demon's Souls though, that game is jank as heck.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean the areas after Quelaag not everything after you beat her jeeze
Unless you genuinely think Bed of Chaos isn't utterly awful I guess.

Oh lol, that's fair

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just lol if you don't rush Dark Souls to the DLC and quit after beating the lizard.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I played Demon's Souls and hated it (very stressful) so I'll probably never play another From Soft RPG.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I bought Demons Souls before it was out in the UK, had a whale of a time, and never finished it. Then Dark Souls came out, I played that, had a whale of a time, and never finished it.

Then Bloodborne came out. Played it, had a whale of a time, and never finished it.

BUT THEN!

Finally went back to Bloodborne earlier this year and finished the fucker (which is a hell of an experience when, thanks to a head injury, you're three days into extended déjà vu where every other second you feel like you're remembering a dream, AND there's a red light in your back garden. Take THAT, "immersive" gaming chairs).

Looking forward to getting back into Dark Souls and finally finishing the bastard, on the world's most hurlable console.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I played Demon's Souls and hated it (very stressful) so I'll probably never play another From Soft RPG.

Demon's Souls had a lot of very rude mechanics that DS removed. Then healing crept back in and the games went back to poo poo but at least Scraping Spear stayed forever buried

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RCarr posted:

Is there any difference between Dark Souls on the Switch compared to Xbox or PS4?

The Switch version has a lower frame rate, lower resolution, and lower-quality/missing sound effects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It is also portable in a more convenient format than a tablet and controller.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flint_Paper posted:

Finally went back to Bloodborne earlier this year and finished the fucker (which is a hell of an experience when, thanks to a head injury, you're three days into extended déjà vu where every other second you feel like you're remembering a dream, AND there's a red light in your back garden.
this sounds like the ultimate immersive way of playing Bloodborne

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

It was loving nuts. I started a new character, so remembered loads of the areas, but at the same time, every single thing I saw/heard/said &c. felt like either high octane déjà vu, or like I was remembering a fragment of a dream I'd long forgotten. It was a SUPER intense way to get on board with the world-building.

Then, on closing the curtains one night, I noticed a red glowing lantern in my garden that sort of made my heart stop until I realised that my folks had given me some ridiculous solar powered garden LED thing.

I recommend it as an experience, but only if you're pretty sure you're not going to go completely mad grant us eyesssss

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Weedle posted:

The Switch version has a lower frame rate, lower resolution, and lower-quality/missing sound effects.

It's also lower to the ground (if you put your switch on the floor)

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I have still never played BB despite sinking around 450 hours into the three DS titles.

Any way I hope all you people new to the series love it. The first playthrough is pretty life-changing. Don't give up, skeleton!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbOVTQnbAA

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

f#a# posted:

I have still never played BB despite sinking around 450 hours into the three DS titles.

Bloodborne is worth a whole console for anyone who considers themselves a fan of the souls games. Like sell it once you're done if you have to but Jesus Christ man

Why are you depriving yourself like this? Bloodborne is so loving good, like your first blind playthrough of DS1 good but better

Stop reading this post, go already! Just go out and kill a few beasts, it's for your own good.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Starlink is really well suited to bite sized gaming, A+ handheld game

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Spent some time with No Man's Skylander myself yesterday evening. It's pretty fun! I think it's not super deep but it looks good and is fun to play. A very chill experience. Also Fox and crew are pretty well integrated and more integrated into story than I'd have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Play EverGrace first