Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

i wish we had gotten to you first, you'd be praying to Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn right now

I suspect I'd have rammed into syncretism from the Christian side eventually, which would probably be quite interesting in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Senju Kannon posted:

i looked up the biggest facebook group for anarcho-communists and they banned discussion of religious groups that are "anti-anarchist, such as christianity, judaism, and islam" which i think is pretty lol-worthy

when will leftists learn that banning religion does the left no favors

:toot: Historical mainline Hinduism, with a caste of priests and a cast of warriors/nobles, who collectively make the rules for everybody, is fine!

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
in their ridiculous defense, they did say "such as" and not "specifically"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i bet they would allow talk of Hinduism and Buddhism though because that is exactly the kind of white Westerner who posts on an anarcho-communist facebook group

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
unsure. i mean... myanmar. pretty sure internet leftists are aware of the genocide and the monks who help perpetuate it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the type of person i am talking about is the white urban left-leaning American who says things like "i guess i just don't like organized religion" and "i'm spiritual but not religious". many of these people, in my experience, say things like this to (in part) hide two facts. number one, that they have a big stick up their rear end about Christianity, which spills over into hatred and bigotry towards all the Abrahamic religions, aside from a perfunctory and conditional acknowledgement that antisemitism exists. number two, as we established in number one these people don't know poo poo about religion, so it is no surprise that they have some gross Orientalism going on with their view of Hinduism and Buddhism, wait hang on *cough* "the eastern religions"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
like i get it, you're talking about granola crunching hippies who aren't woke to the crimes of buddhists, i just don't know if that's as huge an overlap with anarcho-communists in a closed facebook group as you assume

i mean it's a sample size of less than three thousand, of which i am not one, so it is a mystery. much like whether their ban on identity politics means "don't talk about racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia class only" or "don't talk about those issues without understanding their relationship with class." yeah, probably the first one, but unless i try to join the group i can't be 100% sure what the broad consensus is

edit: and for obvious reasons i have no desire to join a group that doesn't understand that calling all religion anti-anarchist essentially means cutting themselves off from a large majority of working class christians for whom religion is a form of social gathering, an identity marker, and a source of political ideology (and usually a regressive one). like, nazis are in the churches, guys. they're in the pews and they're in the pulpits. maybe make an effort to raise class consciousness and racial solidarity with them as part of a grassroots movement towards worker solidarity? but no, feel free to abandon the rural bible belt to republican snake oil salesmen and worse, that's a winning strategy for any social movement

edit ii: also cause i'm an ex-liberation theologian current anarcho buddhist lmao

Senju Kannon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 18, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The more fundamental issue is that no one actually wants anarchy, because real anarchy looks like Somalia. We're talking about sheltered white suburban kids imagining a world without The Man Keeping Everyone Down. They profess to hate Abrahamic religion because their parents dragging them to church, the Jews in history class, and Islamic boogeymen on the news are the only religions they know about.

Pay them no mind and move on, they're utterly inconsequential.

https://i.imgur.com/MKXVuQS.mp4

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cythereal posted:

The more fundamental issue is that no one actually wants anarchy, because real anarchy looks like Somalia. We're talking about sheltered white suburban kids imagining a world without The Man Keeping Everyone Down. They profess to hate Abrahamic religion because their parents dragging them to church, the Jews in history class, and Islamic boogeymen on the news are the only religions they know about.

Anarchism isn't about that at all though.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'm not aware of any group of people (religious, non-religious, or mixed) that is immune from parochialism. Narrow-mindedness is an affliction of being human, and so it is not alien to me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

cyth I live in the Somali diaspora capital of the world and you really need to shut up immediately

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 18, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If anarchism is being used to talk about the condition of people living in communities of low compulsion and high volition, then some of the closest (though still imperfect and parochial) modern examples I've seen of these kinds of communities have been some religious societies. And I'm happy to learn of more.

It's plain today that we can't all be monastics, but we may all be able to learn something from the monastics. Especially if we're interested in ways to live in communities of all sizes and proximities without wanting to kill each other or make each other suffer.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

not attacking you personally, but you're basically describing proto-alt-right kids and anarchism=Somalia is like the most facile equivalency ever.

to be blunt, your post reads like you've absorbed a lot of American right-wing framing of "anarchism"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

read a book

specifically, the bread book

excuse me, if i'm blunt people get mad about me. please read the bread book.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://thebreadbook.org/

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What gets me the most about white guys with tech jobs who whine that they only serve the iron law of rationality and logical analysis, is that they're clearly emotional wrecks, and just pretend that their arguments isn't supporting what they personally feel strongly about. It comes up a lot in discussions about gender equality, which makes me wonder if there isn't a heriod of some sort guys can be on.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, this is not a derail you really don't want to take (and I really do, but shouldn't).

Anarchist communism is the absence of state legalism and predatory capitalism, not laws, order or democracy. Anarchist labour unions and ideological groups organized 20+ million people in Spain, Mexico, Ukraine, Portugal etc. through the times, and by all accounts worker cooperatives and the economy, as well as political liberties, flourished - That is, until reactionary states and corporations paid to have them all murdered.

Also, anarchist resistance to judeo-christian religion is dumb, because all the coolest revolutionary communist movements in the medieval up until the middle modern period were lead by christians and jews.

E: unless you're arguing that a lot of terminally white libertarian tech/gamer bros misuse the term anarchist to mean no checks on markets and the right to kill brown people, in which case we're are in full agreement they're dumb as hell

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 18, 2018

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
those are "anarcho-capitalists" or, more accurately, "fascists"

Tias
May 25, 2008

They're people who don't understand linguistics, at any rate. You cannot place the 'anarcho-' prefix on something transferring illegal authority from an anarchist analysis from state to corporations :eng99:

And also, yeah, most are for christian or libertarian police states and are fascist adjacent if not full fash

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Senju Kannon posted:

read a book

specifically, the bread book

excuse me, if i'm blunt people get mad about me. please read the bread book.

I'm actually reading this rn and the first section is insanely good but then he gets into how the next revolution in france is going to work and it gets really dated

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are you an anglican who thinks anglicanism is boring? why not get weird

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

are you an anglican who thinks anglicanism is boring? why not get weird

Here is your scheduled reminder that the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby speaks in tongues.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I know a couple of tongue-talkers, we have at least a handful of pentecostal congregations in Denmark who are into that poo poo

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
snake handling is cooler

i think one of the funniest things is if you ask them "do people get bit" they go "oh yes, all the time, but that's because they weren't faithful enough." so up front about the people getting bit, and i respect that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

snake handling is cooler

i think one of the funniest things is if you ask them "do people get bit" they go "oh yes, all the time, but that's because they weren't faithful enough." so up front about the people getting bit, and i respect that

they're willing to die for what they believe in

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
technically if they die that means they didn't believe enough, so i'm not sure that axiom really applies

now a jehova's witness who refuses life saving surgery because of their religious beliefs, that defo applies. but a christian scientist? also questionable

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'll never understand how modern speaking in tongues is supposed to work, when literally no-one can understand those 'tongues'. I get the snake handling, even, but speaking in tongues is beyond me. In Acts 'every man heard them speak in his own language', so what gives?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I'll never understand how modern speaking in tongues is supposed to work, when literally no-one can understand those 'tongues'. I get the snake handling, even, but speaking in tongues is beyond me. In Acts 'every man heard them speak in his own language', so what gives?

FWIW My buddy went through every fundamentalist christian sect in this country and says the pentecostals told him it was the language of the Holy Spirit itself, with people normally are not able to fathom or speak. As he puts it, he heard a bunch of them do it until he could replicate it, and then he acted like he was touched by the ghost as well.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 19, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pure

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

it me

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

post/username/av combo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

mood

Tias
May 25, 2008

It competes with La Sangrada pillarturtle for most "HUURGH GIMME A BREAK ALREADY" expression:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tias posted:

It competes with La Sangrada pillarturtle for most "HUURGH GIMME A BREAK ALREADY" expression:

hahaha

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tias posted:

That poor turtle! Someone rescue it from the pillar of oppression!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
just imagining the noises it makes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

just imagining the noises it makes

Fritz, my horse who features in my forums avatar (a very handsome boy), just wants to WORK.

Don't discount that animals might just want to DO A THING. For Snicklefritz Kash (his registered quarterhorse name thank you very much), he wants to WORK. He's a lovely boy but is absolutely not okay for novice riders. Because HE WANTS TO WORK and holy poo poo is that not appropriate for my kid cousins.

Dear Fritz will literally run laps around you if you've dismounted. What are you waiting for? Why are you standing there? Let's work, let's do a thing, let's go NOW, let's go!

I cannot fathom HEY GUNS' cavalry. Combat horses would at all times be like "HEY LET'S FIGHT A MAN, LET'S CHARGE HIM DOWN, LET'S SHOOT HIM UP WITH PISTOLS AND poo poo LET'S GO HOLY poo poo LET'S DO IT NOW. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR LET'S BLAST 'EM LET'S GO!"

e: what I'm saying is that horses are not patient, not remotely.

Having a cursory exposure to the dudes HEY GUNS studies, I honestly wonder to what extent the cavalrys' horses determined battles. Imagine a hyperactive toddler who extremely wants to do a thing but also is an rear end in a top hat and might bite you while ripping massive oat farts.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 21, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Watching some sick rear end giant mammoths in GoT (sorry if spoilers) I suddenly remembered that aurochs were a thing in Europe up until 1627.

I loving hope for everyone's sake no one tried to involve them in direct combat

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Having a cursory exposure to the dudes HEY GUNS studies, I honestly wonder to what extent the cavalrys' horses determined battles. Imagine a hyperactive toddler who extremely wants to do a thing but also is an rear end in a top hat and might bite you while ripping massive oat farts.
also they look like this
https://i.imgur.com/ial8KAC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Watching some sick rear end giant mammoths in GoT (sorry if spoilers) I suddenly remembered that aurochs were a thing in Europe up until 1627.

I loving hope for everyone's sake no one tried to involve them in direct combat
given what we know about human nature, you know someone, somewhere, attempted to either fight one or gently caress it