Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

hostile apostle posted:

Weed stocks taking a beating today (-10% for many) with Canada legalization going through.

The stupid axiom is buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

I'm unfamiliar with how Canadian exchanges and reporting works. Will they have to release quarterly reports that might kill this bubble? I mean, the valuations are nowhere near where they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Oscar Wild posted:

The stupid axiom is buy on the rumor, sell on the news.

I'm unfamiliar with how Canadian exchanges and reporting works. Will they have to release quarterly reports that might kill this bubble? I mean, the valuations are nowhere near where they should be.

This wasn't a rumor though - everyone knew this was coming. Just seems to me like a self full-filling prophecy, people trying to get out because all the hype for today was that there would be a sell-off. One might also say things are just getting started and this dip presents a good buying opportunity.

One quarter of revenue in a totally new market is not going to make or break these stocks. The legit names going to still show huge growth. What do you think happens to this market when the US legalizes? We have 4 more states in the US likely to pass legalization measures in this election cycle, 2 for rec use.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I keep saying that in Oregon, margins are super thin. Producers are getting squeezed, there is no differentiation of product really, prices are incredibly low. I'm saying the valuations arent matching the very competitive landscape. Everyone is projecting 20% marketshare.

You can get mediocre ounces for 70-80 US, and by mediocre it's still better than some of the stuff you'd get for $40 per 1/8 ounce. Product is super cheap.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Oscar Wild posted:

I keep saying that in Oregon, margins are super thin. Producers are getting squeezed, there is no differentiation of product really, prices are incredibly low. I'm saying the valuations arent matching the very competitive landscape. Everyone is projecting 20% marketshare.

You can get mediocre ounces for 70-80 US, and by mediocre it's still better than some of the stuff you'd get for $40 per 1/8 ounce. Product is super cheap.

No doubt there will be consolidation, and no one knows who will make it out on top (might not be any of these existing companies either). There will be winners for sure, its all about marketing and branding - those that can do it will differentiate themselves and establish dominate market positions.

Not like tobacco or alcohol is expensive to produce either and that seems to have made some pretty big brands. Starbucks and Shell seem to do pretty well selling commodities too.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 17, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Anyone have any hot tips?! This buying power is burning a hole in my pocket

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Wish I sold some of my ACB on Monday but it's right back where it was before the spike so whatever.

Also happy weed day. :420:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
A bank will gladly pay you Today for a share of Tesla Tuesday.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

hostile apostle posted:

No doubt there will be consolidation, and no one knows who will make it out on top (might not be any of these existing companies either). There will be winners for sure, its all about marketing and branding - those that can do it will differentiate themselves and establish dominate market positions.

Not like tobacco or alcohol is expensive to produce either and that seems to have made some pretty big brands. Starbucks and Shell seem to do pretty well selling commodities too.

They made some pretty big brands back at the turn of the 20th century when you could put full page ads for cigarettes in magazines marketed for teenagers. The marijuana industry is extremely regulated; more so than alcohol or tobacco. That is not going to change no matter what the official legal status of the broader drug is.

There is money in the logistics of the marijuana industry, but if you are expecting brands to be the next Philip Morris in a couple of years you are nuts.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
How much of the OP is still good stuff? I've been dicking around with the simulator at Investopedia and staying in positive growth with little to no knowledge, so I feel like I'm a brilliant investor who just needs more info.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Lucid Nonsense posted:

How much of the OP is still good stuff? I've been dicking around with the simulator at Investopedia and staying in positive growth with little to no knowledge, so I feel like I'm a brilliant investor who just needs more info.

for how long?

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

fougera posted:

for how long?

Only a few months. I'm not losing money, but I need to learn more before I risk real money at this.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone noticing all these random Chinese companies doing insane runs in the last 2 days with incredible volume?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ulio posted:

Anyone noticing all these random Chinese companies doing insane runs in the last 2 days with incredible volume?

How do you say pump and dump in Cantonese?

I've been hearing rumors of china devaluing the yuan to boost trade, even though their leadership is saying differently in public.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

How do you say pump and dump in Cantonese?

I've been hearing rumors of china devaluing the yuan to boost trade, even though their leadership is saying differently in public.

Hasn’t yuan fuckery been going on since... always?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Comrayn posted:

Hasn’t yuan fuckery been going on since... always?

Yes, but it has been appreciating since 2014 ish.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone on Fidelity loss harvested ITOT? What did you switch to?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Small cap bios are hot as gently caress right now. Doubled my account in a month on TRVN, TROV and HSGX. I'm taking a week off to let my emotions settle, I'm never this lucky

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Small cap bios are hot as gently caress right now. Doubled my account in a month on TRVN, TROV and HSGX. I'm taking a week off to let my emotions settle, I'm never this lucky

You're not some kind of rear end in a top hat who would walk away from the craps table on a heater, are you?!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya but playing bio is risky as gently caress. I just sell pre FDA meeting when people buy on rumor/pre news.. loving TRVN I held it till the committee meeting and it went from $3 to 0.8. Hoping FDA still approves it somehow.

I've made some good money on VTVT this month. It has had some insane range because of it's low float.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

loving TRVN I held it till the committee meeting and it went from $3 to 0.8. Hoping FDA still approves it.

Ouch. What’s your entry? I bought a fairly large position at 1.4x, sold half at 2.25 and the other half at 3.20. I have been burned holding through binary events so I just play run-ups usually, and those plays have been hot the past month.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

would you buy or sell this index fund?

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 19, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why would shares held by institutional investors aggregated from 13F filings be more than shares outstanding based on 10Q/K?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ouch. What’s your entry? I bought a fairly large position at 1.4x, sold half at 2.25 and the other half at 3.20. I have been burned holding through binary events so I just play run-ups usually, and those plays have been hot the past month.

Ya I had a similary entry but mines was in the high 2s and I held till the comittee meeting which they said the drug might be more addictive than morphine and slightly more potent so that sent the stock to the pennies.

I actually forgot there was a fda event or else I do the same and sell on the run up. I literally forgot I owned this.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

ghosTTy posted:

would you buy or sell this index fund?

Sell that bear wedge

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would shares held by institutional investors aggregated from 13F filings be more than shares outstanding based on 10Q/K?

Shares sold short would also have owners, plus there could be timing differences in the institutional filings.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man there has been some insane gains with these random low float Chinese penny stocks this week.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Whole lotta red.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

Shares sold short would also have owners, plus there could be timing differences in the institutional filings.
I thought about the short explanation, but 1) you’re not required to disclose short positions on 13F, and 2) it should then show up as negative shares.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I finally got approval to buy marijuana stocks so split 80% of the cash I had sitting around into CGC (which I think I'm over paying for a bit, but I'm holding it for a long time) and INSY. Been kicking around the idea of buying more F too, but that's just a gut call and I'd want to liquidate more profits from ARKW to buy it now that my cash is kinda low and with the big dip tech took I just can't bring myself to sell it right now.

I hate having to hold things a lot longer than 30 days now. It's making our gambling thread less fun for me...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought about the short explanation, but 1) you’re not required to disclose short positions on 13F, and 2) it should then show up as negative shares.

Sorry, they would still have the shares and if they were lent out to short sellers, those shares could be sold again to other investors who would count them as well.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
F has been sucking. Unless the tariff situation improves I expect it to continue to suck, even as they fix their payroll.

I will continue to buy until that happens.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

F has been sucking. Unless the tariff situation improves I expect it to continue to suck, even as they fix their payroll.

I will continue to buy until that happens.

I was thinking about jumping in on Ford.

That dividend yield is getting absurd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2018/10/19/messing-with-the-wrong-guy-cleveland-cliffs-ceo-berates-analysts-on-earnings-call.html

quote:

"It's unbelievable that these big banks still employ this type of people, you should resign for your lack of knowledge of things... You are a disaster. You are an embarrassment to your parents... If the stock continues to go down based on these kids that play with computers and somebody else's money, we are going to buy back stock. We are going to screw this guy so badly that I don't believe that they will be able to only resign. They will have to commit suicide."

quote:

"Matthew Korn from Goldman Sachs, you can run, but you can't hide. I will see you at the Goldman Sachs Conference, very soon and bring your commodity that guy because you owe me that for the last year. It will be easier for you if you have the commodity that guy with you interviewing me. If you are alone, it would be a lot worse, it will be bad no matter what, but it will be a lot worse if you're alone,"

hahahhahahahaha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Getting all Musky up in here.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Not clicking through and I am 99% certain that’s Goncalves and if so that’s pretty normal.

I still have a CMG January $500 put that’s up big and has kept me from getting depressed about it but I’m getting killed in BCRH so I’m buying more so the loss doesn’t look as bad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yesterday was bad for me, in part due to weed, but today was pretty much red across the board. Bad way to go into my birthday weekend.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

When you are complaining about sell side analysts instead of running your business, it’s you that is the problem.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Yesterday was bad for me, in part due to weed, but today was pretty much red across the board. Bad way to go into my birthday weekend.
Heh. Same. I turn older on the 22nd. But also ACB is listing on the NYSE on the 23rd soooooo.

:confuoot:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

When you are complaining about sell side analysts instead of running your business, it’s you that is the problem.

It's a coal company, we should be surprised he didn't shoot anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

Heh. Same. I turn older on the 22nd. But also ACB is listing on the NYSE on the 23rd soooooo.

:confuoot:
What up birthday buddy.

Maybe I should buy a little ACBFF on Monday ahead of the listing?