Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

People being excited for Dark Souls in 2018 is so weird to me. I loved it at the time and everything, but wouldn't people prefer new stuff?

Insert Skyrim joke here, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There isn't a lot of new stuff as good as Dark Souls

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

People being excited for Dark Souls in 2018 is so weird to me. I loved it at the time and everything, but wouldn't people prefer new stuff?

There is no difference between old and new stuff if you haven't played the old stuff before

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just learned my 8bitdo SNES30 works on the Switch, this is so much better for Shovel Knight than even the Pro.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

whaley posted:

Play EverGrace first

Enters first town, immediately succumbs to madness

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Andrast posted:

There is no difference between old and new stuff if you haven't played the old stuff before

Fair

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I kinda feel like Demon’s Souls popularity was a complete accident. From Software has made so many games like it for so long they probably never expected everyone to fall in love with a game with so many similarities to kings field and evergrace

Barudak
May 7, 2007

whaley posted:

I kinda feel like Demon’s Souls popularity was a complete accident. From Software has made so many games like it for so long they probably never expected everyone to fall in love with a game with so many similarities to kings field and evergrace

Demon's Souls cut out a tooooon of the cruft and player alienating quirks of previous games. I dont think they expected it to make them so rich but they definitely were improving the experience tremendously with that entry.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just learned my 8bitdo SNES30 works on the Switch, this is so much better for Shovel Knight than even the Pro.

Pairing it sucks though, do you have a trick for that? I can only connect it when another controller is connected first so it always registers as player 2, then have to go to reorder controllers menu

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could move faster than a slow crawl for one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not sure what the gently caress happened here with this post but where rhe hell is my Spyro on Switch???

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
I wasn't planning on playing Dark Souls on the Switch but I won a contest at my local game shop and I got it for free, I'm super excited to die fruitlessly and often.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Barudak posted:

Not sure what the gently caress happened here with this post but where rhe hell is my Spyro on Switch???

We need Spyro on switch. Who cares about Trash Bandicoot? :colbert:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I feel the same since Bloodborne just felt like a tremendous step forward in every single way and Sekiro looks like another significant step. But then again I always disliked the incredibly basic bitch "RPG" stuff in the other games, even BB, so a Souls game that centers on more mobility and less RPG stats just appeals to me more.

Also I guess BB/Sekiro resonates more with me due to my personal dislike of boring gray medieval poo poo. Dragon's Dogma's gameplay was so goddamn good but I could not enjoy that game because the setting and story were mind-numbingly boring.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

We need Spyro on switch. Who cares about Trash Bandicoot? :colbert:

I will fight all comers trying to name a better platformer than the Spyro games for that generation, yeah thats right Mario 64 Im calling you out

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I will fight all comers trying to name a better platformer than the Spyro games for that generation, yeah thats right Mario 64 Im calling you out

Spyro is friggin nightmare fuel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Look at this guy who thinks vertexs should be allowed to float wherever they want.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Pairing it sucks though, do you have a trick for that? I can only connect it when another controller is connected first so it always registers as player 2, then have to go to reorder controllers menu
Yeah I don't know of any, I didn't have a problem with it being controller 2, Shovel Knight didn't seem to care, but was annoyed once I wanted to go into sleep mode and had to grab the pro controller, out it down and then use that to turn it back on and re-pair the SNES30 to start playing again.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

why did you post a gif of two balloon mannequins being slowly inflated

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Played some Dark Souls and I actually think the game looks better on Switch than the other Remastered versions since they kept the original lighting. I thought they “cleaned up” the game too much for the other Remastered releases.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Dark Souls 1 has the most well designed world of pretty much any game I have ever played. Demons Souls has the best atmosphere of any game I’ve ever played.

Also, I’m weird with Souls games. Without fail, I bought them at their release, played each for like six hours, then put them down. Then like three months later, I would pick them up and play them all the way through two or three times each.

So, if you buy it and bounce off of it, don’t worry. You’ll come back later and scream through it in a blaze of glory.

[quote="“KICK BAMA KICK”" post="“489028554”"]
[/quote]

That’s because the Pro controller (reminder: officially designed and released by Nintendo) has the worst D-pad of any current gen console.

What a world we live in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I don't know of any, I didn't have a problem with it being controller 2, Shovel Knight didn't seem to care, but was annoyed once I wanted to go into sleep mode and had to grab the pro controller, out it down and then use that to turn it back on and re-pair the SNES30 to start playing again.

Somehow the new PowerA controller can wake the switch from sleep, and do it faster than a joycon. It's the only third party controller I know of that can do it, but PowerA controllers aren't very good quality generally. I don't know why they figured it out but 8bitdo hasn't.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I noticed a few first party games come in "starter pack" editions. Are the included books interesting? Some neat art/comics or anything along the lines of Playing With Super Power would be worth the few extra bucks for me.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does Switch Dark Souls have the expansions?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Does Switch Dark Souls have the expansions?

Yes it has the single DLC

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Climbed down Blighttown and the framerate was quite stable. Maybe some single digit drops but miles better than the original releases. Good port.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just unboxed Starlink physical and booted up the game. Been trying to get the game to recognise that I have the ship attached to the grip but it is not registering. If I hold the ship in a specific position it registers for a split second then disapears. Tried cleaning the connectors on both ship and grip but no change. Anyone else encounter issues with the toys? Google has zero results.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One of my toys, the anti gravity gun, would not seem to connect. I tried it on each wing to no result, then put it directly in the cockpit and it worked. Then it worked everywhere else with no issue since then.

So my recommendation would be trying to pull it off and on a few times.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Somehow the new PowerA controller can wake the switch from sleep, and do it faster than a joycon. It's the only third party controller I know of that can do it, but PowerA controllers aren't very good quality generally. I don't know why they figured it out but 8bitdo hasn't.

The PowerA controller is officially licensed by Nintendo so they have all the protocol specs, unlike 8bitdo and others who have to reverse engineer them.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
My roommate finally ended up beating O&S by hucking poop at them until they died on account of all the poop

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think I'll play Dark Souls on PC instead of the sort of lovely sounding Switch port I've been hearing about

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

GreatGreen posted:

That’s because the Pro controller (reminder: officially designed and released by Nintendo) has the worst D-pad of any current gen console.

What a world we live in.

For me this was true until I did the tape 'fix.' Afterwards, playing Hollow Knight with the Switch Pro feels even better than my DS4.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alan_Shore posted:

I think I'll play Dark Souls on PC instead of the sort of lovely sounding Switch port I've been hearing about

Where are you hearing it’s lovely? It seems perfectly fine to me unless you really need 60fps.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

My roommate finally ended up beating O&S by hucking poop at them until they died on account of all the poop

that's what they deserve tbqh

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE loving MOON posted:

is this a metaphor

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where are you hearing it’s lovely? It seems perfectly fine to me unless you really need 60fps.

I mean objectively the game is technically superior in every other console. Better resolution, better frame rate, no weird compressed audio issues, etc.

I do agree with you that the new lighting kinda sucks but someone new to the game won't even notice that. I'd also advise newcomers to stick with the console or PC ports for a more enjoyable experience, unless you really want portability.

Sticklers for the old lighting are still better served by the original prepare to die release + dsfix than by the switch version imo

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

People in this thread mainly, talking about dips into the single digits of frame rates and having bad/missing sound?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Any version of Dark Souls where blighttown is above 20 FPS is a bad version of dark souls

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Alan_Shore posted:

People in this thread mainly, talking about dips into the single digits of frame rates and having bad/missing sound?

I wouldn't call choppy frames a total deal breaker (hell, it's true to the dark souls experience smh) because it only happens occasionally it seems, but I personally thought the compressed audio sounded tinny and horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I used to have more problems getting the 8bitdo stuff synced but it's stopped happening for a while. Probably because I will reboot the whole switch occasionally. It seems like over time something in the Switch stops responding well to the 8Bitdo controllers but a reboot clears it back up. Since then I just hold Start + Y until a light comes on and let go until it syncs after a few seconds.