Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Epic High Five posted:

I'm not watching this but did they ask said regretful voter how they plan on voting in 2018, or how they'd vote in 2020 based on theoretical matchups?

because unless you're staying home or voting for Dems, your regret doesn't mean loving poo poo

they're all actually scared of trump, but i get the impression they'd all happily vote for a rubio or a jeb if given the option

i recommend watching the dude @ 2:25 where they salt his wound bc he's a dumbshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-J2Z0iqHIs&t=145s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well that's good then, and an object lesson in why Pence is more dangerous than Trump, especially now that dumbass centrists have a positive view of Dubbya

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Total soy boy

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Well that's good then, and an object lesson in why Pence is more dangerous than Trump, especially now that dumbass centrists have a positive view of Dubbya

Centrists pretended to dislike Dubya and were just condescending to have been convinced that torture was bad because people reacted so poorly to Abu Gharib.

Just like how centrists pretended to be convinced that segregation was bad, but said that desegregation was going too far.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they're all actually scared of trump, but i get the impression they'd all happily vote for a rubio or a jeb if given the option

i recommend watching the dude @ 2:25 where they salt his wound bc he's a dumbshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-J2Z0iqHIs&t=145s

idk, "i am making my first political donations of my life, to democrats" and "i've been registered independent for years but i'm canvassing for democrats this cycle" seem like stronger sentiment than "well he's just a bad republican"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

raminasi posted:

idk, "i am making my first political donations of my life, to democrats" and "i've been registered independent for years but i'm canvassing for democrats this cycle" seem like stronger sentiment than "well he's just a bad republican"

they are, but for now they still sound like "never trump" republicans, who do call for dems to win the midterms, as a rebuke to trump that will bring the GOP back to "true conservatism" . but you never know, maybe they will acknowledge the left has some reasonable arguments now that they've left the cult

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the center is shrinking every single day as more and more people are forced to dehumanize and face to radicalization

sometimes they veer right like Tapper and sometimes way to the left like Peter "kill all billionaires" Daou, but we're gonna be seeing more people saying stuff like "well I was hoping for a sensible bipartisan alternative, but since that's not an option anymore I'm 100% behind M4A"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

raminasi posted:

i'll wait and see which democrats they're actually supporting before i pat them on the back

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I completely shut down and walk away from people who say the word bipartisanship to me in discussions.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

As much as folks rightly pillory the idea of the centrist Republican who can be persuaded to vote Democrat, there's a shocking number of voters that are completely without political ideology.

That isn't to say that they always vote, though in places with high voter turnout, they sometimes do vote in every election, just that they aren't looking at where a politician stands on issues, then comparing that to their own internal politics. They're voting on a very instinctual level about who they trust more, or who they think will be less likely to screw them over. Most of these folks call themselves independents but reliably vote for one party or the other, when they do vote.

These folks sound like they're firmly in that camp. They're Republicans who vote that way for a variety of non-ideological reasons, and Trump is blowing that goodwill, built up over decades. Whether or not that holds beyond this one election remains to be seen. Doubt it, but I can hope.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Siljmonster posted:

I completely shut down and walk away from people who say the word bipartisanship to me in discussions.

easiest that way, they need more time to radicalize

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Siljmonster posted:

#walkaway

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I would like a return to bipartisan politics. I also recognize that this means the political right in this country must be destroyed.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Bipartisanship in America is going to have to be like friendly relations with Germany about halfway through the last century.

Something has to be destroyed before diplomatic relations can be renewed.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Azathoth posted:

As much as folks rightly pillory the idea of the centrist Republican who can be persuaded to vote Democrat, there's a shocking number of voters that are completely without political ideology.

That isn't to say that they always vote, though in places with high voter turnout, they sometimes do vote in every election, just that they aren't looking at where a politician stands on issues, then comparing that to their own internal politics. They're voting on a very instinctual level about who they trust more, or who they think will be less likely to screw them over. Most of these folks call themselves independents but reliably vote for one party or the other, when they do vote.

These folks sound like they're firmly in that camp. They're Republicans who vote that way for a variety of non-ideological reasons, and Trump is blowing that goodwill, built up over decades. Whether or not that holds beyond this one election remains to be seen. Doubt it, but I can hope.
obligatory link to that piece by Chris Hayes about undecided voters in 2004 and how they're actually just dumb as loving poo poo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

it's a good read, but also kinda obvious if you pay attention to the kinds of poo poo these people say when they get to express their opinions in a public forum. even in that CNN trumpgret segment i just posted, one of them said she is disappointed in trump b/c when she voted for him she thought he had "values" and now she sees he doesn't. i mean, she's not a hardcore CHUD-- those guys still love his hosed up values. i don't know really how to interpret that as anything besides admitting that she wasn't paying any attention before voting

what's really mind-blowing is that people like her are still more politically engaged than the 40% of eligible voters that just don't vote. dems and gop bitterly polarized, every bill passed is a huge slog, and meanwhile if abstaining were a political party it'd win every major election

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

it's a good read, but also kinda obvious if you pay attention to the kinds of poo poo these people say when they get to express their opinions in a public forum. even in that CNN trumpgret segment i just posted, one of them said she is disappointed in trump b/c when she voted for him she thought he had "values" and now she sees he doesn't. i mean, she's not a hardcore CHUD-- those guys still love his hosed up values. i don't know really how to interpret that as anything besides admitting that she wasn't paying any attention before voting

what's really mind-blowing is that people like her are still more politically engaged than the 40% of eligible voters that just don't vote. dems and gop bitterly polarized, every bill passed is a huge slog, and meanwhile if abstaining were a political party it'd win every major election

when was the last time a president actually pushed for something that helps anyone that makes equal to or less than the poverty line in a meaningful way? LBJ?

not sure if Obamacare counts if you can't afford health insurance to begin with

edit: i guess you can point the Nixon creating the EPA but the poorest americans live closest to polluters so...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If "none of the above" was an option on American ballots, it would win ~90% of elections.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If "none of the above" was an option on American ballots, it would win ~90% of elections.

if your brain is real powerful, you could argue the constant swing between dems & the GOP we take as political orthodoxy as people not getting anything that they want from either party and making the only other choice they're presented with :thunk:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Business Gorillas posted:

when was the last time a president actually pushed for something that helps anyone that makes equal to or less than the poverty line in a meaningful way? LBJ?

edit: i guess you can point the Nixon creating the EPA but the poorest americans live closest to polluters so...

Medicaid expansion would have counted if not tied to the assumption of state governments being made of human beings.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

One of my favorite rituals of the quadrennial political calendar is the Third Presidential Debate, where the networks assemble panels of as-yet undecided voters to watch the two candidates slug it out. Said panels are always made up of the stupidest loving people because if you haven't made up your mind between two candidates who have been blasting you with ads and messages and slogans for an entire year, even though it's just three weeks before election day, it's probably because you're an idiot. These smoothbrains are treated like Solons, furrowing their brows as they struggle to decide.

I remember one exchange from a few cycles ago:
"What are you hoping to hear from the candidates tonight" "I'm very concerned about health care, I'd like to see them discuss health care"
*debate somehow features Obama and McCain clearly laying out their very different visions for health care policy*
"I was very disappointed that they never really talked about health care...no, I'm still making up my mind"

They're just morons play-acting like they would imagine a Serious Thoughtful Person would behave.

It's also why political ads become incredibly broad and stupid and simple in the last two weeks of a campaign - the only people left who haven't made their decision are either almost completely un-engaged, or dumber than poo poo (or both!) so the ads degrade to pure emotional appeals. OTHER GUY BAD (grainy black and white headshot flips back and forth while ominous music plays), ME GOOD (color, smiles, American flag flapping in the bright sun, happy families, cheerful music)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
ken bone thinks he's being so clever by not announcing who he voted for

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

- obamacare doesn't count bc if you're below the poverty line u had medicaid already
- if u make slightly above the poverty line the aca expanded free medicaid to you, but then the cons on the supreme court pulled some bullshit out of their rear end to decide states should be allowed to opt out of that expansion, so it only helps you in non-chud states

anyway im aware of voter apathy from the poor, but the other demographic that doesn't vote much is young adults. and since income tends to increase with age id be curious to see a breakdown of voting rates by both age and income to see which is the biggest factor. anyone seen something like that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ken bone thinks he's being so clever by not announcing who he voted for

we all know he voted bowsette

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I feel like this fits here

https://twitter.com/CharelsCD/status/1053301750269018112

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Grassy Knowles posted:

we all know he voted bowsette

bowsette pregnant with sonic

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Don't worry Charles, Trump is working hard to personally kill you and scores of other people, too. Enjoy!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

mono posted:

ASSISTED SUICIDE ASAP

Trump 2020 campaign slogan.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in the year 2000 when i was in middle school i couldnt remember which one of al gore and george bush was the democrat and which one was the republican and also what the difference was and i imagine being an undecided voter is a lot like that

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

- obamacare doesn't count bc if you're below the poverty line u had medicaid already

Maybe in California or other decent states, if you were in a Republican state get hosed (also the status quo today). States had a lot more control over who got to be on Medicaid, it's one of the reasons conservatives hate the expansion so much because they have to get waivers and beg permission from DHHS before dicking with people

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

anyway im aware of voter apathy from the poor, but the other demographic that doesn't vote much is young adults. and since income tends to increase with age id be curious to see a breakdown of voting rates by both age and income to see which is the biggest factor. anyone seen something like that?

Thanks to the student loan crisis every president has shrugged at for the past 20 years, these two groups are no longer mutually exclusive

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Thanks to the student loan crisis every president has shrugged at for the past 20 years, these two groups are no longer mutually exclusive

lol "shrugged at" the vice president is the architect of making this a permanent crisis

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Stink Billyums posted:

Trump 2020 campaign slogan.

also my next username

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Shear Modulus posted:

it's basicslly what the perfect chud honeypot would be. chuds ars uniformly unsavvy enough to type all their credit card and bank information into a shady site run off a belarussian server if some scammer lures them right and also horny and emasculasted enough that the lure of a woman who isnt disgusted ay them is like blood to a shark and also theyre dumb as balls enough to think that those people actually exist

This just made me wonder what percentage of internet scam victims are chuds.

I feel like those old email scams probably ravaged through them in the 90s, the dating bots now are probably living well off them, and not to mention all the gold poo poo they run on Fox.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the old adage is that it's impossible to con an honest man

so really the question is whether chuds are greedier than other flavors of old

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1053320208692269056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy Hat posted:

Don't worry Charles, Trump is working hard to personally kill you and scores of other people, too. Enjoy!

that guy is seriously having a bad day
https://mobile.twitter.com/CharelsCD/status/1053364124615290880

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

yea, that's why im interested in a breakdown by both age and income together

middle aged parents who have been living below the poverty line their whole life probably have pretty different policy preferences from a 20yo college student taking loans whose income is poverty level while in school. or even from a 22yo in a crappy entry level job who expects to get raises and promotions in the future (regardless of whether the expectations are realistic or not)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

"Excuses. Way to play the victim card again."