Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Hey, look, maybe the design won't be that bad. Some of this concept art looks...okay."

Toei: gently caress YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is Bandai in this case, man. Kenji Watanabe designed her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

This is Bandai in this case, man. Kenji Watanabe designed her.

Does it really matter?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I suppose in the long run, no it doesn't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Diaboromon X looks a lot better in its full official art, it looks positively alien and the slightly transparent limbs are so good. It's a bit overdesigned but that's to be expected for an X Digimon and in general I actually like it quite a bit more now.

Sakuyamon X somehow only got even worse and I feel it's even insulting for the fans of the original. It's such incredibly blatant fanservice with little else to it, ugh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I like parts of it. The new staff and the giant rear end foxes are pretty great.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Sakuyamon X would be amazing if she just wore clothes. It almost makes it worse after seeing the concept art.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who is the demographic for this? Digimon, the card stuff, is largely aimed at kids right? 6-10? There hasn't been some ADULT Digimon sub division that I'm unaware of has there? It'd still be stupid, but if this was aimed at horny teenagers and/or older losers who want to oogle anime girls, whatever I get it. But Digimon is a kids franchise right?

Who is this for? Though uh, I guess this one won't be able to give Ryu a power up by stripping.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Digimon is primarily geared towards young adults and others which grew up with the franchise now. That's the course the franchise took after Xros Wars was a colossal bomb. That's why all the cards and virtual pet releases have been premium bandai releases that can only be afforded by people with a disposable income and ordered from their website or select retailers. This is why the video games have heavier plots geared more towards older gamers, as well.

Part of the goal with Appmon was to create a new sub-division for the franchise that was kid oriented and didn't rely on the older Digimon stuff, which was skewing older. Habu-san has talked about this, and how while Super Xros Wars didn't do so well, most of its buyers were older fans instead of the kids it was marketed to.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, Digimon just realized that children didn't care about it but adult fans were still into it, so there was a big shift towards that particular demographic. In and of itself, Digimon had tried to appeal to an older demographic since Savers, though that was still teenagers. It was with Re: Digitize and onwards that the series moved hard towards late-teens or young adults, the people that watched Adventure (that is, us). Tri followed the same steps by fully aiming towards that instead of children, with...uhh...mixed results.

It should be noted, though, that usually Digimon appeals to adults through more subtle and darker writing, not...this.

All of that said Digimon has been horribly fanservicey since way before that, but there's no doubt that there is some degree of that affecting even the older designs, like modern Angewomon stuff having clearly bigger breasts or this Sakuyamon X design. I'm not a fan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gear it back to kids and release legal Appmon subs, Bandai.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i realize sakuyamon x has literal nothing to do with tamers but it still irks me that design's being used for a character i was introduced to as being at least partly a preteen girl

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Gear it back to kids and release legal Appmon subs, Bandai.

Hell, I'd take a dub at the very least. I also wish they'd make another series that isn't a movie and/or has nothing to do with Adventure but I kind of doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The issue is that kids don't necessarily want Digimon as we know it. Appmon was a moderate success so if we get another kid targeted thing it'll be under the banner of the two tier system they have now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, but it's also possible for them to do something geared towards older audiences without having to bank on nostalgia all the time. I just want to see something new from the anime side of the franchise, that's all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We'll see I guess. But it's always gonna be in the form of limited run stuff, not another regular series.

EDIT - and while Sakuyamon is more blatantly sexualized, it's important to note that Fairymon and Shutumon's outfits are barely above undergarments and in the case of the latter, also includes freaking bondage gear.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 20, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

We'll see I guess. But it's always gonna be in the form of limited run stuff, not another regular series.

EDIT - and while Sakuyamon is more blatantly sexualized, it's important to note that Fairymon and Shutumon's outfits are barely above undergarments and in the case of the latter, also includes freaking bondage gear.

Yeah, all three of those designs are awful.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My point is that, unfortunately, not all of this is neccessarily new. It was even there when the series was kid friendly.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They weren’t as top heavy though. They’re the same on paper but a pretty clear difference when you put the designs next to each other... Well, most of them, I guess.

Anyway, I love everything about Sakuyamon X except for Sakuyamon herself. I wonder what’s up with the shadow versions of her baby form floating around.

As for Diavolomon X, I’m kinda unsure how I feel. It’s still creepy, but I think the original edges it out. I like the eye attack and extendable shoulder arms from the concept art, and also its translucent limbs. It would probably look pretty cool animated... It’s a shame there’s a slim chance of that happening.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/gtmwd262/status/1053977401040920577?s=19
Omekamon Zwart D

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's beautiful and should be canonized.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/1059642998357614592

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

So what do these posts about SkullBaluchimon and MetalTyranomon X say?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

those are all digimon we know about

https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/1059346868197449728

their including Tokomon X with an actual profile is far more interesting

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

So what do these posts about SkullBaluchimon and MetalTyranomon X say?

スカルバルキモン/完全体 アンデッド型 データ/感情や知性が無く、体内に張り巡らされた神経のデータだけで反射的に体を動かしているため、容赦も加減も無い攻撃を自らが動けなくなるまで繰り返す。デジコアより止め処なく溢れ出す黒い冷気は、どんなデジモンをも死の恐怖に陥れるという。

メタルティラノモンX抗体/完全体 サイボーグ型 ウィルス/改造されたデジモンの中で、“超高性能”とされるメタルグレイモンに比べ荒々しさは目立つが、地上での破壊活動は最高のパフォーマンスを誇る。獰猛性は凄まじい攻撃力へ変換され、改造内容が完全に引き出されている。

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's just abridged versions of their actual profiles, which are on Wikimon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm playing through Hacker's Memory now and I got to the LordKnightmon fight in Chapter 11. Honestly, I thought I was totally hosed, I had one Vaccine and my Digimon are really weak due to hitting level caps and having to devolve. But uhh...turns out she's really exploitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_03D2oAPag

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
No idea what is happening but is pretty cool

https://twitter.com/nanao2_/status/1060233686845550592

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

it's just abridged versions of their actual profiles, which are on Wikimon

Remember, most people here don't speak or read Japanese, and Google Translate doesn't do much more than slam down random attempts at words when half the text is made up terms to begin with. We need translations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I know that. I was offering an explanation and pointing people at where they can read them translated.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurui Reiten posted:

Remember, most people here don't speak or read Japanese, and Google Translate doesn't do much more than slam down random attempts at words when half the text is made up terms to begin with. We need translations.

If something is wordy and redundant, there's no reason a general description can't suffice.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
So Kenji Watanabe was interviewed about the creation of Omegamon MM: https://withthewill.net/threads/20970

I personally would have used Omegamon X and which would in turn de-digivolve to the X-Antibody versions of Agumon and Gabumon when the did was done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I would kill for that to be teh art style for Digimon Quadro

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

So Kenji Watanabe was interviewed about the creation of Omegamon MM: https://withthewill.net/threads/20970

I personally would have used Omegamon X and which would in turn de-digivolve to the X-Antibody versions of Agumon and Gabumon when the did was done.

it really should have ended with an angemon super ultimate

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It should have ended with either some sort of fusion of all eight of the Megas. Something more than just Metal Garurumon and War Greymon.

Or, considering early on they seemed to be handing out Megas in pairs, I was sort of hoping for them to just go "gently caress it" and make Omegamon-style fusions for each of the pairs. That kind of fell apart though, for obvious reasons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

there's no way they would have used Omegamon X and turned Agumon and Gabumon into their X forms. They're not gonna change the appearance of two mascot characters that drastically and permanently and the whole point of Merciful Mode is to create a new version people hadn't seen before. Omegamon X is old news.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, but imagine the Vikemon/Rosemon fusion we could have gotten. And imagine the reaction from the people who get super invested in Digimon shipping.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, but imagine the Vikemon/Rosemon fusion we could have gotten. And imagine the reaction from the people who get super invested in Digimon shipping.

Wouldn't that be Rosemon and Hercules Kabuterimon?

Oh god that'd be an AMAZING Kamen Rider waiting to happen TOEI MAKE IT HAPPEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

going by the premiere queue Tri used, it'd be Rosemon and Vikemon.

And from there, Hououmon and Seraphimon and Holydramon and Rasielmon.