Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

SiKboy posted:

I think he means that in the '67 version he was a burnout/hippy. In the '05 musical film (and presumably the stage show it was based on) the hippy role is replaced with a camp gay stereotype. So over time (in the remake) the original version was replaced with an arguably more offensive version.

*she

Yes, I was talking about the '05 movie.
The Producers was a movie, then a musical play, then a musical movie, just like Little Shop of Horrors.

The entire Keep it Gay song leaned hard into the "gay is always funny" trope, but I laughed anyway because I am a terrible person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri2TplWqY1o

Fake edit: gently caress. Gary Beach died in July. And, yes, you don't hire him as an actor unless you want Campy Gay Man.

Edit: Mel Brooks is just problematic all around, but it doesn't matter because he's talented, funny, and insightful, able to pull humor out of the darkest places. It's a rare talent, but one many writers and directors seem to think they have.
I mean, Young Frankenstein has rape leading to a woman falling in love with her rapist because he has a big dick and it's one of my favorite movies. Young Frankenstein has been made into a musical play, by the way. I guess in a few years it'll be made into a musical movie.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Barudak posted:

You know thats an actual mormon belief, right? Like the reason Jesus rode in a concrete submarine to America for the three days he was dead was to preach to the lost tribes.

That is literal fact, especially since we have evidence many of them can change into werewolves and want to gently caress vampire babies

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When I was a young teen in the early 80s I had a well-worn VHS of a TV version of Blazing Saddles. Watched it a million times. There’s a scene with a little old lady saying, “Up yours, friend of the family,” and the TV network dubbed “up yours,” to “outta my way,” but kept the word “friend of the family.”

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His headdress has Hebrew lettering on the poster, in the film his Indian Chief character spoke Yiddish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAYt6dpCgOI

"Where the Fugawi!?"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Lincoln posted:

When I was a young teen in the early 80s I had a well-worn VHS of a TV version of Blazing Saddles. Watched it a million times. There’s a scene with a little old lady saying, “Up yours, friend of the family,” and the TV network dubbed “up yours,” to “outta my way,” but kept the word “friend of the family.”

Geez, and I thought it was weird when they would only cut the “God” in “goddamn”

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Geez, and I thought it was weird when they would only cut the “God” in “goddamn”

They didn't want to take the lord's name in vain, but if you just drat something without god, that's fine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Thought it was neat in Westworld season 2 that (kinda big spoilers if you haven't seen season 2) the only thing that "permanently" killed the hosts was actual bullets from real guns, and not the "smart ammo" in the guest's guns.

Note This seems pretty obvious in hindsight but I didn't think about it until I was wondering how Delores kept being ok after getting shot. Turns out, regular rifle ammo never hit anything important. Other hosts got shot in the heart/chest and were killed by the rifle bullets. They tended to ignore the "smart ammo" rounds.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Oct 19, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IUG posted:

They didn't want to take the lord's name in vain, but if you just drat something without god, that's fine.

The first time I really noticed this was in Hydro Thunder of all places. One of the bots is named drat The Torpedoes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha, I remember my mom sitting me down when I was like 13 or 14, saying you should watch this movie, it was one of your dad's favourites. It was Blazing Saddles, and it is a drat hilarious movie. Is there much in it that's offensive? I mean, Mel brooks as an Indian could be argued as racist, but it's not an unfavourable impression? Obviously the language can be a bit strong, but I wouldn't say it's racist or anything. But I'm white, so I dunno.
The other great movie that my whole family got down to watch that was my dad's favourite was Slapshot (AKA the best hockey movie [better than Mighty Ducks]). Unfortunately, he forgot about the nudity and explicit language.
I still think these movies rule, and I don't think, on the face of it, that it's super offensive. Possibly a bit of bigotry towards gays, since one woman is gay and multiple references are made that if she's a lesbian, does that make her husband a gay?
It's a shame though, since it is still pretty drat funny. Newman was the man.

I tried to watch slap shot and I lost my loving poo poo that he was out in public, in broad daylight, in the famous murderer's mask. The movie murderer who stabs people mask. The silence of the lambs i'm going to eat your loving liver mask. It was all I could think about. Fifteen minutes into the movie they're trying to associate who's who and what their motivations are and I'm googling for the history of the murderer mask and when friday the 13th first came out and whether the movie made actual real life hockey players figure out a different way to keep their teeth from flying out of their faces that doesn't associate themselves with psychopathic iconography.

I can't tell you a single thing about the movie I was too into that mask conundrum. You say it was a comedy, somehow? And it wasn't funny because a non-murderer was wearing the murderer's mask?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Krinkle posted:

actual real life hockey players

psychopathic

have you seen a hockey match

it's basically attempted murder on ice

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Yeah but it was starring the guy on my salad dressing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

So looking it up to see how much more camp the new one was in comparison, I Learned a Thing:

The original Roger De Bris was Mr. Belvedere.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't forget there was a "Blazing Saddles" TV that had several seasons but never aired in an attempt by producers to keep the rights.

quote:

CBS aired the pilot once on April 4, 1975. The pilot episode featured guest appearances by Gerrit Graham and Brooke Adams and was written by Michael Elias and Rich Eustis. Elias and Eutis later created and executive produced the ABC sitcom Head of the Class (1986-1991).

Interviewed in 1996, Steve Landesberg said Black Bart "was like a joke. ... We did the pilot, and CBS dumped it at the end of the 1975 season in April or May on a Friday. We thought it was done, then CBS tells us to come back and film six more episodes. And then another six. Six episodes each season, when an order was usually for 24 or 26. I was on Barney Miller by that point, and we'd film during the winter break when all other TV shows were on hiatus. And they never aired any of them. It was like a sick joke. If I wasn't under contract I would have walked, but they were paying me so I can't complain."

In 1989, Louis Gossett, Jr. told Entertainment Tonight, "CBS and Warner Bros. made a deal. ... The deal was that CBS would get to air Blazing Saddles, and any sequels from the movie, in exchange for co-producing a TV show. At the time Warners wanted to make Blazing Saddles into a comedy series of films, a new one coming out every year or so. They wanted to use the model that the Brits had for the Carry On films. But [Mel] Brooks had a clause in his contract that said Warner had to keep producing Blazing Saddles stories, in the movies or TV, or they'd lose the rights to make sequels. The TV show was a way to keep the rights. They didn't have to air it, just keep producing it. So for four years I spent my winter on a soundstage being paid to be in show that would never see the light of day, just so Warners could keep the sequel rights to Blazing Saddles. By 1979 they finally figured out the market had changed and they weren't going to make any sequels, so we were cancelled, if a show that never was supposed to air can be cancelled."

Mel Brooks addressed the existence of the Black Bart series in 2005: "My lawyers, bless their souls, came to me and said, 'Warner Bros. is going to try and take away your control of the movie. Let's put in a crazy condition that says they can't do any sequels unless they make it right away or make a TV show out of it within six months.' Which is brilliant. They couldn't make a sequel in six months, and the movie was too vulgar to be a TV show. Now it would air in family hour if that was still a thing. So the lawyers put that in, never thinking they'd make a TV show. ... In 1977, three years later, Warner Bros comes to me and says they want to make another Blazing Saddles, and I say, 'No. You don't have the right to do that.' They say, 'Yes we do, we've been making a TV series and still control the rights.' What TV series? I haven't seen a TV show. They take me onto the lot, into a projection booth, and show me three episodes. My lawyers never thought to put in language that said they had to air the drat thing, only that they had to make it. Oy gevalt! Well, management changed and they never did Blazing Saddles 2, and as far as I know they're still making that stupid show to this day."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Blazing Saddles made 100+ million in 1970's money. Adjusted for inflation that's half a billion dollars.

You better believe they wanted to make sequels.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Don't forget there was a "Blazing Saddles" TV that had several seasons but never aired in an attempt by producers to keep the rights.

Holy poo poo this is insane and now I want to see it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The first episode is on one of the bluray releases. I have it as part of the Mel Brooks collection.

The show is loving awful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

IUG posted:

The first episode is on one of the bluray releases. I have it as part of the Mel Brooks collection.

It was on the DVD release too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

IUG posted:

Not particularly surprised that a show they knew would never get aired would be garbage

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Krinkle posted:

I tried to watch slap shot and I lost my loving poo poo that he was out in public, in broad daylight, in the famous murderer's mask. The movie murderer who stabs people mask. The silence of the lambs i'm going to eat your loving liver mask. It was all I could think about. Fifteen minutes into the movie they're trying to associate who's who and what their motivations are and I'm googling for the history of the murderer mask and when friday the 13th first came out and whether the movie made actual real life hockey players figure out a different way to keep their teeth from flying out of their faces that doesn't associate themselves with psychopathic iconography.

I can't tell you a single thing about the movie I was too into that mask conundrum. You say it was a comedy, somehow? And it wasn't funny because a non-murderer was wearing the murderer's mask?

Haha, I'm really confused what you mean, and I've seen the movie a thousand times. What mask? Like a goalie mask? I can't remember anything like this.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

iajanus posted:

Not particularly surprised that a show they knew would never get aired would be garbage

That was the one they actually aired, I wonder how the unaired ones were.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
That actually raises an interesting question. How much did the show being filmed need to resemble Blazing Saddles for it to count legally towards them using the property? If they never intended to air, could they have set up a camera and filmed two cowboys eating beans for half an hour and call it a day?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

dirksteadfast posted:

That actually raises an interesting question. How much did the show being filmed need to resemble Blazing Saddles for it to count legally towards them using the property? If they never intended to air, could they have set up a camera and filmed two cowboys eating beans for half an hour and call it a day?

I would watch that show

I have a very particular kink

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Turns out Brokeback Mountain was just fulfilling a clause.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha, I'm really confused what you mean, and I've seen the movie a thousand times. What mask? Like a goalie mask? I can't remember anything like this.

I *think* he's trying to say that he never knew that Jason's mask was anything other than Jason's mask, and it baffled him seeing hockey players wearing it, since he didn't know it was a hockey mask.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

That mask has only ever been associated with horror franchises to me. Goalies now wear like, if you started with a motorcycle helmet with a Plexiglas shield and then added mad max wires for the apocalypse to it. And my thesis statement is after the murder movies came out goalies felt silly wearing the old style. Maybe the goalie comes home after a long day puts his hat on the hatrack and his children all scream, he takes off his murderer's mask and they're still crying. There's got to be a better way!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Krinkle posted:

That mask has only ever been associated with horror franchises to me. Goalies now wear like, if you started with a motorcycle helmet with a Plexiglas shield and then added mad max wires for the apocalypse to it. And my thesis statement is after the murder movies came out goalies felt silly wearing the old style. Maybe the goalie comes home after a long day puts his hat on the hatrack and his children all scream, he takes off his murderer's mask and they're still crying. There's got to be a better way!

This is accurate. Coming from both a goalie and a fan of the franchise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In a lot of America kids might play hockey at school and have access to sports equipment so the mask loses its novelty aside from wearing it and chasing your classmates around a few times.

Sports equipment in general is frequently viable weaponry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In a lot of America kids might play hockey at school and have access to sports equipment so the mask loses its novelty aside from wearing it and chasing your classmates around a few times.

Sports equipment in general is frequently viable weaponry.

Vice Versa too, shift the grip on a machete 90 degrees and you could swing it at a baseball easily.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Casey Jones is just such a great character in TMNT because he looks out the window and sees a world of gangster ninjas, mutant monsters, alien invaders, and rogue robots, and decides, I'mma fight that, with the contents of a sporting goods store clearance sale. And he actually does pretty well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't remember anyone in Slapshot wearing a goalie mask. Maaaybe one dude from one of the rival teams during a game. Hell no one even wears a helmet even though, as becomes clear during the movie, they really should have.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is there more than one 70s hockey comedy with a really obvious name? I'm real sorry if I goofed and confused everyone.
e:
okay yeah here at 3 minutes 28 seconds I checked out completely because the french canadian guy from the cold opening put on the murder mask.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Oct 20, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When you said you were surprised at the guy wearing it in public in broad daylight, I thought you meant it was out in the park or something. Not inside during a hockey game where it's completely normal. Do you think Jason created that mask?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just finished season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I love that the intro song for season 2 is foreshadowing for the season finale reveal: "I'm just a girl in love. I can't be held responsible for my actions." Also I like that her psychiatrist has given her a partial diagnosis, in calling out her flashbacks as Dissociative Memory episodes, also that the musical thing is how most of her mental illness expresses itself - she thinks it's a coping mechanism, but it's more a genuine hallucination.

Gonna start season 3 later.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Is there more than one 70s hockey comedy with a really obvious name? I'm real sorry if I goofed and confused everyone.
e:
okay yeah here at 3 minutes 28 seconds I checked out completely because the french canadian guy from the cold opening put on the murder mask.
Well, looks like that one's on me! drat but it's been a while since I saw it, I need to get on that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thank god we got the Goon movies. They're the Slapshot sequels that the actual Slapshot sequels wish they could be.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha, yeah, they're both pretty good and they are almost exacting the same amount of hockey but mostly the hockey culture, which is definitely a hosed up and yet funny culture.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

Just finished season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I love that the intro song for season 2 is foreshadowing for the season finale reveal: "I'm just a girl in love. I can't be held responsible for my actions." Also I like that her psychiatrist has given her a partial diagnosis, in calling out her flashbacks as Dissociative Memory episodes, also that the musical thing is how most of her mental illness expresses itself - she thinks it's a coping mechanism, but it's more a genuine hallucination.

Gonna start season 3 later.

This show has one of the best, most sympathetic but not patronizing, takes on mental illness I have ever witnessed.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Barudak posted:

You know thats an actual mormon belief, right? Like the reason Jesus rode in a concrete submarine to America for the three days he was dead was to preach to the lost tribes.

yeah but they believe those lost tribes were john smith and not actual natives.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

This is probably just me being an idiot, but upon rewatching Raiders of the Lost Ark (probably first time as an adult, to be honest), and I realized why the Nazi copy of the headpiece for the Staff of Ra was one sided and missing information.

They made the copy from the burns on Major Toht’s hand, sustained in the tavern when he tried to grab the original during the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did you just notice the part where Toht saluted with the burn marks on his hand in focus?