Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Yea, the key I found is that if the text says it'll upgrade your lore, that is a dirty lie and it just eats the lessons. I'm assuming that something was partially implemented or maybe planned and didn't get in.

I was just about to do this, it actually says "This will upgrade your influence" when you put a Lore in there. So I don't know what the gently caress its supposed to do. I wonder if you actually put an Influence in it if it would do anything?

Edit: Okay, I just actually tried this With 4 "Erudition: Lesson Learned" with a Level 10 Lantern Lore, and it gave me an additional Reason, which is now maxed. I think you have to choose the right Lore with the right stat. When I threw Moth in there it just offered to subvert it

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Influence merging is in on the beta branch... but I don't think it uses the skills?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Gato posted:

Finally got the Heart ascension. In the end I had to gamble with Augury to get the necessary Heart influence, which was a bit dull, but the whole process was much more interesting overall than the previous Ascensions. It's a shame you have to go out of your way to get a Rival though.

Oh hey! What's up Thunderskin buddy? Didn't realize there was a second way to get Heart influence, but that seems obvious in retrospect.

Sadly I had no partner in ascension. I had my Heart set on a star-crossed lovers thing with the first person to show up out of recruitment, but Pope Cliffton said he wasn't interesting in changing for me? Sooo I let my good friend Poppy know where to find him and then FLEXed him out of the Mansus to go run errands. I didn't NEED no stinking cult to ascend. What do you think this game is, Cultist Management Simulator?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NewMars posted:

I have a simple way to upgrade the UI for this game: get rid of all of it and do something completely different.

Alexis Kennedy is a very good writer and worldbuilder but I swear he actually must have some contempt for the idea of a game that people can actually play.

I legit wish he had a (perhaps somewhat smaller) series of books like Malazan in him, where he could tease out all kinds of insane lore and just write without having to worry about the game parts. I haven't ever really gotten a firm enough grasp on the mechanics in this game to dive as deep into the lore as I'd like, but the cosmology he wrote for Fallen London is loving bonkers, and if he has more of that in him, I'd love to see it expanded upon. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to think he can write a book though, so the best case is probably for this to succeed enough for him to hire another designer to deal with gameplay stuff while he pumps out the words.

I really want to figure this thing out and enjoy it like other people seem to, because I love the concept of this game, but the card management just isn't very fun for me.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
One thing bugs me about this game. I have a cult... so why in the name of my god do I need to WORK?

The recruits should be able to be sent out to earn money. Like real cults I should be able to drain them dry and their families maybe not abuse good recruits just pawns.

I feel more like the game is about about an occultist club then a true cult.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sadly this is more of the "everyone has to have a day job" type of cult rather than "tax shelter" cult. You can send out moth or knock minions to steal stuff though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

One thing bugs me about this game. I have a cult... so why in the name of my god do I need to WORK?

The recruits should be able to be sent out to earn money. Like real cults I should be able to drain them dry and their families maybe not abuse good recruits just pawns.

I mean you can get money from running your cult.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

DropsySufferer posted:

I think the idea is that you're a secret cult (maintaining a cover) not a full time cult, but it'd be interesting to have a cult that talking to your dudes about cult business generated money as they go fleece people. Or have the option to send your followers to work, with a chance they gain a wound or something (since they're out doing heavy labor or borrowing from loan sharks or whatever to feed your laudanum addictions).

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

The game disrespects the hell out of you if you do the entire moth ascension route and then choose your beloved at the last second. You don't even get an achievement or anything out of it. It just says AFTER HAPPILY - FNORD :laugh:

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 19, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

I think the idea is that you're a secret cult (maintaining a cover) not a full time cult, but it'd be interesting to have a cult that talking to your dudes about cult business generated money as they go fleece people. Or have the option to send your followers to work, with a chance they gain a wound or something (since they're out doing heavy labor or borrowing from loan sharks or whatever to feed your laudanum addictions).

Well your cult isn't exactly a secret given when you send Heart cultists out it says that they're out there talking up your "society" and getting rid of Notoriety and stuff. I mean obviously you're not telling everyone your cult is dedicated to you becoming a god, but it's not a secret that all your peeps get together and do...something.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dragonturtle posted:

The game disrespects the hell out of you if you do the entire moth ascension route and then choose your beloved at the last second. You don't even get an achievement or anything out of it. It just says AFTER HAPPILY - FNORD :laugh:

Were you playing on the non-beta/gate of horn branch? If so, that's actually a glitch.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

There we go, that fixed it. Thanks, opted into it and was able to get it on my backup save.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Well your cult isn't exactly a secret given when you send Heart cultists out it says that they're out there talking up your "society" and getting rid of Notoriety and stuff. I mean obviously you're not telling everyone your cult is dedicated to you becoming a god, but it's not a secret that all your peeps get together and do...something.

I envision it more like how crazy conspiracy people think the free masons/shriners are. Hide the secret cult club stuff behind charities and community service stuff. Of course Jim isn't running a murderous cult in the basement of the church, we just spent the last weekend expanding the children's wing of the hospital together! His wife has a bake sale coming up to help fund the homeless shelter. These are fine, upstanding members of the community!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So are there literally no Heart influences in the game? How are you supposed to upgrade your dances or get scars and stuff?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

Have you tried the Wildwood Club? Or the Society of the Holy Wound? Or the Unflinching Order? Because those are all things you can do, but you need to be talking to cultists with the correct aspects. (And the 3 cults I mentioned are the cults that can Exalt members with the correct aspects.)

That said, honorable mentions for making money are the Church of the Bright Edge and the Order of the Bloody Cup, because you kidnap people and turn them into Iotic Essence by means of the Spider Door.

So are there literally no Heart influences in the game? How are you supposed to upgrade your dances or get scars and stuff?

Contentment, Restlessness, Vitality, and a Lesson in Vitality are sufficient to take you right before the end. The last push is quite a bit trickier, but there's at least two ways to get a 6 strength Heart influence.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

You can get strong Heart influences by painting using rose-pearl pigments while loading up on passions and what not but it is unreliable at best since you're dealing with multiple levels of RNG to get them and they still degrade into vitality at a quick rate.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DropsySufferer posted:

At a certain point, the proceeds from commissions become significant enough that you don't need to work anymore, which kind of meshes with the idea that your cult develops enough to be self sustained.

And higher level followers (Forge, I think?) can reliably get you stuff to sell.

Your cult can make you money, you just have to be creative about it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

NewMars posted:

Alexis Kennedy is a very good writer and worldbuilder but I swear he actually must have some contempt for the idea of a game that people can actually play.

I think he is way too entrenched during his time with Fallen London and his "gameplay" design mentality is all based around that: if you check how Sunless Sea works under the hood, it has many similar problems with CS.

For example, why for gently caress's sake use timers to restrict activity in a single-player game? Well, Fallen London is a web browser game, so using timers to restrict player activity is all well and good. But in single-player is just way too much of a grind.

I was doing a mock concept for CS for what really bugs me and I think I found out the issue at the root of the gameplay: Kennedy doesn't know that he wants turns to manage player activity. It makes perfect loving sense for Cultist Simulator: you get a bunch of random events, you assign your tasks and manage your resources to deal with whatever has come up with and/or plan the next move, your adversaries do their things and there you go, no more insane UI clutter, no more crippling whole gently caress ton of timers to deal at once and game flow becomes way better

(of course that might require a totally new game to do it but still)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Smooth Sailing mod 1.1.0 released - https://mods.thefansus.com/mods/smooth_sailing/

Don't forget that you need to repatch frangiclave each time cultist simulator is updated.

Changelog:

* Compatible with the Dancer DLC
* Added gradient success system to vaults - each point in an aspect improves your success chance. A longer explanation is in the mod description. Cult activities still use hard breakpoints.
* Capital and Shire vaults now have increased success chances, especially at lower levels. Capital vaults in particular are much easier to tackle with low level cultists, pawns, and hirelings.
* Land Beyond the Forest, Rending Mountains, Lone and Level Sands, and Evening Isles vaults now have reduced success chances, especially at lower levels.
* Unique paintings can now be granted to followers like other tools.
* A new item, "Cracked Madrugan Handmirror" has been added to the common vault rewards table. It is a repairable mirror- when repaired, it has identical stats to the Bone Flute, except it is a mirror and can be used at the peacock door. There is a broken one on the common loot table and a repaired one on the uncommon loot table.
* The Ascent of Knives, beyond the Stag Door, can now draw A Forbidden Epic.
* Cultist Simulator Bugfix: Edge cultist abduction failures are no longer guaranteed to result in a wounded follower.
* Smooth Sailing Bugfix: Evening Isles vaults and a few stray Lone and Level Sands vaults are now correctly randomized.
* Smooth Sailing Bugfix: Vault obstacle telegraphs now display the correct icons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the idea is that you get about 1 thing to do every 10 seconds if you never pause and play on normal speed, which is kinda neat, but if you do that you won't be reading much and just get a clunky plate spinning game so instead you set game to fastest and pause for every action to read the text and then the waiting just becomes a chore and it sucks.

it should be a turn based game instead.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'll probably play through one more ascension before I drop this game until the next big update, but I'd like to do some mods to switch it up.

I see about 7 mods on TheFansus, but is only the Smooth sailing one usable with Dancer DLC now?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The dancer's just a couple files, I'd be surprised if the others didn't work. I just put it was compatible so people wouldn't ask that question.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Any highly recommended ones? I see there's a Beauty ascension path and a SH cultist one.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mine was the first mod on there that wasn't put up by the frangiclave creator as an example so I'm pretty skeptical of the others, although they might actually be great. There's a few people in the discord now starting to work on stuff so I think there will be some good ones in a few weeks.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Kinda wish it was easier to restart as dancer if I die.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I peeped the Discord and it was a lot of anime avatars talking about the philosophy of transhumanism.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

Kinda wish it was easier to restart as dancer if I die.

IMO anyone who isn't a masochist should at least create a backup save after getting some of the early game work out of the way so when you restart you at least don't have to grind up stats again.

I don't think it's even really cheating since the game has a built in option to take you to the file location for a reason. Obviously everyone gets to/has to decide where to draw the line themselves, but starting over from scratch over and over again is nuts to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 19, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

I think he is way too entrenched during his time with Fallen London and his "gameplay" design mentality is all based around that: if you check how Sunless Sea works under the hood, it has many similar problems with CS.

For example, why for gently caress's sake use timers to restrict activity in a single-player game? Well, Fallen London is a web browser game, so using timers to restrict player activity is all well and good. But in single-player is just way too much of a grind.

I was doing a mock concept for CS for what really bugs me and I think I found out the issue at the root of the gameplay: Kennedy doesn't know that he wants turns to manage player activity. It makes perfect loving sense for Cultist Simulator: you get a bunch of random events, you assign your tasks and manage your resources to deal with whatever has come up with and/or plan the next move, your adversaries do their things and there you go, no more insane UI clutter, no more crippling whole gently caress ton of timers to deal at once and game flow becomes way better

(of course that might require a totally new game to do it but still)

On one hand I understand your point, but translating the game into turn based isn't quite as simple as it seems, and it would also change the feel of the game quite a bit.

With timers you basically have pseudo-turns, but many actions take different amount of time and there are a lot of things you can do to manipulate timers. You'd lose a lot of the granularity in the transition. As a quick example upgraded health skill gives reduced time per rank, which has several benefits outside of getting funds faster. How would you handle that?

Turns also change how tension builds and is handled. Look at say FTL, and how the tension of combat works out, especially compared to something like darkest dungeon. Personally I think the style of timers causing messy scrambles as you work to smooth everything out works a lot better to generate an atmosphere where it feels like you're trying to keep all your crazy bullshit going long enough to become a god, as opposed to the more controlled feeling that turns give you.

Even if you feel a turn-based interface would be best for the game you'd have to overhaul a lot of the game to make it work. I do think there are some UI things that could be improved, mostly with how temporary cards are handled and some funky behavior with card stacks. Game-play wise there are things that could be tightened up and others that would be better for some balance work, along with some features that need fleshing out (cough cough headquarters), but even with that I've put in ~50 hours and probably will get another 20-40 out of it pretty easily.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

On one hand I understand your point, but translating the game into turn based isn't quite as simple as it seems, and it would also change the feel of the game quite a bit.

I agree with you. IMHO, it is for another game or implementation of such a theme, but the feel I get from games like CS is a far more cerebral type of tension rather than urgency/frenetic one. You mentioned FTL, and I think Into the Breach is a great example of what I proposed: sure, you can have all the time in the world and you know the enemy movements, but still means you can fail and fail pretty hard.

Also, since that the player in CS is dealing with the occult, I think a methodical-but-tense feel is exactly in line like making a ritual that you have only sort of an idea of what actually it does, haha

The other point that it didn't get evident as much is more in line to the fact that there is a lot of reading done in these games, which doesn't actually flow too well with the timer mechanics. But, yeah, I am not expecting that this game is going to be adapted to have turn-based mechanics or anything, but I would like to see Weather Factory tackling that system in another game for sure.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Well there is an entire branch of law enforcement out there hunting those having wrong kind of dreams and can arrest you for the themes of your artwork. Presumably heart cultists are just convincing everyone your a very large bridge club with no religious underpinnings and no we've never even heard of Kerisham village though that does sound like a dreadful bit of business.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish FTL was turn-based.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This game has the weird dichotomy that is as great, weird and magical when I didn't know how it worked, and mundane, mechanical, without a glint of magic and slightly dull once I learned how it really works.
Trying to fix that... I don't think it can be done in a patch.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Ragnar34 posted:

I wish FTL was turn-based.

ew

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

This game has the weird dichotomy that is as great, weird and magical when I didn't know how it worked, and mundane, mechanical, without a glint of magic and slightly dull once I learned how it really works.
Trying to fix that... I don't think it can be done in a patch.

Now try to imagine how the Hours feel all the time.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I never realize how terrible the final grind is. In my first playthrough I only entered the peacock door once and immediately snagged the highest level influence and got a win. Trying to get a dance victory and holy hell I must've went in there 20 times. The new influence study system is barely any help because how fast influence decay. Unless there's a knock victory it's unlikely to help anyone. Then I died to dread when my contentment couldn't get suck into my 3 dread timer fast enough (I got the contentment card .6 second before the timer expired.)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

if you don't either 1.) Get the Frangiclave or 2.) Have a bunch of Spitria saved up to repair certain items, the last part of the grind is just miserable. I quit at the end of my first Moth run because I went through probably 25 Bronze/Silver Spitria and was getting no SH to get my last transformation.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Sell Silvers, keep the rest unless you are desperate for cash.

Grinding writing commissions is a very good way to get money. It also spams Mystique, which is a good way to keep a detective busy and let evidence fade.

Also, apparently the 10 min (600 seconds) counter on evidence doesn't reset anymore when it goes through the detective/Season of suspicion.

So basically as long as you keep your nose clean for 10 minutes after getting a Notoriety nabbed, you are free and clear.

I'm never going to lose to that again.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 19, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It is easy to forget, but you can dream with 1 fund to buy some laudnaum or whatever which is 1 contentment.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If you're not constantly rocking your Heart and Moth cultists to clear your name you don't deserve to be a Long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Tenasscity posted:

So basically as long as you keep your nose clean for 10 minutes after getting a Notoriety nabbed, you are free and clear.

My biggest complaint about the game is that the optimal response to almost every crisis is to do nothing (or only do one completely safe thing that will solve it given enough time) until it passes, which of course makes for dull gameplay. You can solve them earlier with riskier means but the only reward is saving time. Erratic investigators are the only exception I can think of where you need to take active countermeasures. Possibly rival cults as well but I haven't had any experience with those yet.