Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's worked out so well for you this far

He's still fighting. How many people do you know that would have given up by this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

That's bullshit. I'd fight it on general loving principle.

I mean if it would've been the difference between 40% and 50% rating obviously it'd have been worth it, but the math doesn't work out that way.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean if it would've been the difference between 40% and 50% rating obviously it'd have been worth it, but the math doesn't work out that way.

An extra ten percent is always worth a few extra points, and might be the difference between 40 and 50 or 50 and 60 further down the road when something else breaks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Absolutely. I have a loving laundry list of ailments and issues. It took a lot to get me from 80 to 100. Think of it as the XP grind in MMOs. First few levels are easy, maxing takes goddamn ages because of the poo poo required. Like how completing a quest near those levels is like a drop in an ocean.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how the gently caress did they deny you for tinnitus

appeal that poo poo dude

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yeah that’s like the one slam dunk, you don’t even need actual hearing loss

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It wouldn't really make sense to now unless I had another pending rating that'd push me to the 50% level? :shrug:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ok, until you go for a hearing aide or something and pay out of pocket because its not service related.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

It wouldn't really make sense to now unless I had another pending rating that'd push me to the 50% level? :shrug:

Press. This. poo poo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

Ok, until you go for a hearing aide or something and pay out of pocket because its not service related.

On that subject, 10-40% rated vets might have a copay for non-service connected treatments but it looks to be fairly minimal if I understand the priority categories? Can someone better explain it?

e: https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/IB10-431_copay_requirements-at-a-glance_2018.pdf

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2018

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

McNally posted:

Press. This. poo poo.

you're owed this money. get it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Getting this rating literally makes zero difference at the moment however. Due to the math my 40% rating would still be 40%.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Soulex posted:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be fair he might have gotten 0% for it, which still covers that sort of thing...

right? is that how it works?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

To be fair he might have gotten 0% for it, which still covers that sort of thing...

No, I literally said "yeah I worked in a loud server room with server fans" and they're like sounds good here's your tinnitus 10% thanks.

Like the only way they can deny something with absolutely no way to prove or disprove it is if they think you're actively malingering.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DoktorLoken posted:

Getting this rating literally makes zero difference at the moment however. Due to the math my 40% rating would still be 40%.

This is the VA equivalent of taking whatever job has a signing bonus.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Depends on service connectability iirc. Even then, a 0% rating is the VA being dismissive basically.

Also, I was 84% at VA math for a loooong time. Like literally a 10% rating on one of my 0% items would have pushed me to 90%.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I need to do an appeal because they listed a mental health issue as non-service connected even though it's documented in my medical records. Wtf? I just dread the thought of doing an appeal though.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Isn't there some kind of easy appeal thing where it's just to correct an administrative error for these things, or did I just make that up?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Two things I wanted to ask:

1) I got hit by a car on Friday while on my bike, messed up my back and wrists really good, so I had to go to the VA hospital. My lawyer said the VA will want to recoup the costs from the driver because they're totally at fault, so I'll need to help the VA with that. The ER docs obviously gave no shits about who was at fault and didn't charge me anything, so is the VA really gonna try to recoup their costs? I guess I don't care too much, I've just never heard of it before.

2) I had to travel to New Haven, and I forgot to bring my diet pills (paying out of pocket for a prescription at an external pharmacy). Anyone know if the local VA can spot me a handful of Welbutrins so I don't go into withdrawal? Not sure if that's the kind of thing I can fast-talk them in to by showing them my prescription.

not caring here posted:

Isn't there some kind of easy appeal thing where it's just to correct an administrative error for these things, or did I just make that up?

Easy correcting of administrative errors? Yeah you must have dreamt it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've wandered into a VA before and told them that I left meds at home and they spotted me an extra 3 days supply.

I don't take anything even remotely addictive though so your mileage may vary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

2) I had to travel to New Haven, and I forgot to bring my diet pills (paying out of pocket for a prescription at an external pharmacy). Anyone know if the local VA can spot me a handful of Welbutrins so I don't go into withdrawal? Not sure if that's the kind of thing I can fast-talk them in to by showing them my prescription.

It’s a newer thing they’re doing but some VAs have a walk-in mental health clinic usually m-fri during business hours. At the very least check out the mental health clinic and explain the situation. Worst case scenario the ER if they have one. Docs hate doing it, but they’ll almost always at least spot you a few days/week worth.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

theres a VA hospital in West Haven, 950 Campbell Ave. go in on Monday and give it a shot

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The VA sent me their request for evidence packet today and, thanks to my concussed brain, I have no idea what to do.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

The VA sent me their request for evidence packet today and, thanks to my concussed brain, I have no idea what to do.

Have you hired a lawyer yet?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Have you hired a lawyer yet?

Yeah.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know if VA Healthcare is actually considered "health insurance"?

I got hit on my bicycle by a car in Massachusetts, and there's a law that covers my medical bills up to $2000 "if I have insurance", or $8000 if I have "no insurance". I want to go to physical therapy conveniently near my work or home, not to the random mountain summit the VA would send me on an expedition to, and if I'm going for more than a month then I'd easily pass the $2000 mark.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know if VA Healthcare is actually considered "health insurance"?

I got hit on my bicycle by a car in Massachusetts, and there's a law that covers my medical bills up to $2000 "if I have insurance", or $8000 if I have "no insurance". I want to go to physical therapy conveniently near my work or home, not to the random mountain summit the VA would send me on an expedition to, and if I'm going for more than a month then I'd easily pass the $2000 mark.

Do they send you a letter at the end of the year that you are covered for tax purposes?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sarah posted:

Do they send you a letter at the end of the year that you are covered for tax purposes?

That they do, is that what all these other laws go off of for the final say?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Zero VGS posted:

That they do, is that what all these other laws go off of for the final say?

I have no idea! But they send me a letter too, so it was just something I thought of.

According to https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/cost/insurance.asp :

quote:

VA health care is NOT considered a health insurance plan.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
1. When does the VA send an updated COE for GI Bill? I want to know how many more months of benefits I have remaining.

2. If I fail a class while using CH33 GI Bill benefits what happens? I assume they won't charge me back.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you served in a combat zone you get five years of health insurance via the VA. That's why you're getting letters (which will stop eventually) and yes it counts. After that expires, you're on your own unless you're above a certain disability rating.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AFAIK you might have copays after that 5 years is up depending on what priority category you're in? Are you saying it no longer counts for tax purposes?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Howard Phillips posted:

1. When does the VA send an updated COE for GI Bill? I want to know how many more months of benefits I have remaining.

2. If I fail a class while using CH33 GI Bill benefits what happens? I assume they won't charge me back.

If you fail a class nothing happens with the GI Bill. Tuition stays paid and BAH is yours to keep.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DoktorLoken posted:

AFAIK you might have copays after that 5 years is up depending on what priority category you're in? Are you saying it no longer counts for tax purposes?

Coverage for service-connected disability does not count as insurance. Here's a halfway decent info page.

I'm not sure what you mean about tax purposes. Money spent on medical poo poo is money spent on medical poo poo, if you're one of the 342 people left in this country who will itemize their deductions. If you mean the Obamacare individual mandate, then no, VA coverage after the 5 years for combat service does NOT count (there might be an exemption if you're disabled above a certain percentage).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 2, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What’s that magical percentage for it to count after the five years? VA use some weird rear end algorithms i’m sure?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Howard Phillips posted:

The ebenefits/vets.gov page will tell you how many months and days of GI Bill you have left.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Godholio posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about tax purposes. Money spent on medical poo poo is money spent on medical poo poo, if you're one of the 342 people left in this country who will itemize their deductions. If you mean the Obamacare individual mandate, then no, VA coverage after the 5 years for combat service does NOT count (there might be an exemption if you're disabled above a certain percentage).
This is the tax purpose being referred to. Yes, that five years does count; if you're within that timeframe, you should receive a letter from the VA around the end of the year explicitly stating this and that the letter itself should be kept as proof.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What’s that magical percentage for it to count after the five years? VA use some weird rear end algorithms i’m sure?

Yeah it's not exactly clear. My reading is that if you're less than 50% disabled that you might have copays for some non-SC stuff:

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/hbco/hbco_enrollment_eligibility.asp

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/cost/copays.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Thanks for your answers folks. Have a great weekend. No stress now if I fail this one class.