Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
only trust us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Are there any sites people would recommend for reliably good reviews? I don't really trust the good folks at myanimelist to have good taste or know what they're talking about, and some other sites seem inconsistent with people often just doing one off reviews or some of them are pretty bad

You basically have to find fellow fans whose taste you trust, everything else is probably ad or industry driven and will be about the big seasonal stuff that's commercially available. There are of course random blogs but at that point you may as well ask us

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Only trust your fists
Mods will never help you

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Need a manga.

Genre: SF or swords and sorcery style fantasy.
Already read as much Berserk and Magi as I want to. I’m watching the Arslan anime right now.
The older the better.
Either completely scanlated or long enough that I’ll run out of interest before I run out of chapters.
I enjoy sincere/melodramatic stories. Saint Seiya would be a good example of the tone I enjoy.
Shounen or shoujo doesn’t matter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

Only trust your fists
Mods will never help you
Hey, I'll have you know we're a perfectly harmless bunch, tyvm. :colbert:

for the most part

Paperhouse posted:

Are there any sites people would recommend for reliably good reviews? I don't really trust the good folks at myanimelist to have good taste or know what they're talking about, and some other sites seem inconsistent with people often just doing one off reviews or some of them are pretty bad
A bunch of goons here have MAL accounts and for the most part, while varied, they do have an overall good choice of faves.

Getsuya posted:

Need a manga.

Genre: SF or swords and sorcery style fantasy.
Already read as much Berserk and Magi as I want to. I’m watching the Arslan anime right now.
The older the better.
Either completely scanlated or long enough that I’ll run out of interest before I run out of chapters.
I enjoy sincere/melodramatic stories. Saint Seiya would be a good example of the tone I enjoy.
Shounen or shoujo doesn’t matter.
How about Basara? Not so much sorcery, but plenty of rear end-kicking.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So I haven't seen much anime in a long time and was hoping for some more recent recommendations. I'm not looking for anything that's super romantic or just dramas in real life. Shows I've liked in the past are

Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy tale
Code geass
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist
Bleach

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My Hero Academia might suit you.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spikes32 posted:

So I haven't seen much anime in a long time and was hoping for some more recent recommendations. I'm not looking for anything that's super romantic or just dramas in real life. Shows I've liked in the past are

Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy tale
Code geass
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist
Bleach

Sounds like you should give JoJo's Bizarre Adventure a try. If you want another robot show like Code Geass, Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans was really good.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Spikes32 posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy tale
Code geass
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist
Bleach

IIRC Hunter X Hunter is by the same guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho, and is generally considered to be even better. Personally one of my top 10. It spans a really wide range of tones and is constantly shaking things up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy tale
Code geass
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist
Bleach
It seems like you generally like action shonen, so:

Hunter x Hunter's original manga is by the same author as Yu Yu Hakusho, and the 2011 anime adaptation of it is very good.

Trigun is in a similar mold as Kenshin in terms of being 90s action stuff. It's wild west/sci-fi themed and its early stuff is more comedic but it still has a very similar texture.

Soul Eater is a really stylish action series in terms of its art direction and has a pretty likable cast. Plus some of the jokes are great.

Gurren Lagann is a very bombastic mecha action/comedy thing that you might enjoy if you thought the robots in Geass were cool and want a more exaggerated version of that with a tone closer to stuff like fairy tail.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spikes32 posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Fairy tale
Code geass
Ruroni kenshin
Full metal alchemist
Bleach

It sounds like you enjoy Shonen action. The good news for you is that there's a ton of this stuff. One Punch Man is a brilliant and hilarious satirical take on the genre. My Hero Academia is just a fantastic example of doing the basic really, really well.

My recent favorite Shonen is Soul Eater, which adds a little bit of a nightmare before Christmas visual flair and has some really wonderful characters/jokes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If you pick One Punch Man just dont do what I did and stop after episode 2. Its crazy how fast that show goes from kind of boring to ludicrous speed.

Also give Mob Psycho a shot. Someone here recommended it to me a few months back and it was probably the best show of the bunch I ended up watching.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I would add to Soul Eater is that if you like it enough be sure to read the manga as well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Looking for some more fun romcoms to read/watch after catching up to We Never Learn, Quintessential Quintuplets and Tomo-chan. Already watched Wotakoi, might check out the manga version. I've also already watched Gamers! and plan to watch MMO Junkie and Tsuredure Children. Any other suggestions? Either medium works for me, and I don't really mind setting, but more working-life ones like Wotakoi would be appreciated to break up the constant high-school setting.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks for al the reccomendations guys! One thing I forgot to mention because I didn't remember their names is I've seen one season of hunter x hunter and soul eater. I think there wasn't more available at the time. So I'll go back and figure out what else has been released for those series. Based on the recommendations I'll check out one punch man and hero academy first then go down the list. I appreciate options you threw out!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ibblebibble posted:

working-life ones

Servant x Service

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Wark Say posted:

How about Basara? Not so much sorcery, but plenty of rear end-kicking.

Thanks for this. It’s definitely just what I was looking for.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Looking for some more fun romcoms to read/watch after catching up to We Never Learn, Quintessential Quintuplets and Tomo-chan. Already watched Wotakoi, might check out the manga version. I've also already watched Gamers! and plan to watch MMO Junkie and Tsuredure Children. Any other suggestions? Either medium works for me, and I don't really mind setting, but more working-life ones like Wotakoi would be appreciated to break up the constant high-school setting.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie e: i read good
It's a high school setting, but Lovely Complex is a top tier romcom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibblebibble posted:

I've also already watched Gamers!

How good is episode ~6~ huh? :allears:.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So insanely good :allears:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So beyond the regular Attack on Titan anime, there are some spin-offs with OVAs like Lost Girls and possibly other stuff based on magas, too?

I don't really care much for stories that aren't by the original author, so am I missing out on canonical story stuff by Hajime Isayama anime-wise if I just watch the regular show sans OVAs etc? Or are you "supposed" to watch things like Lost Girls for the full experience?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you mean poo poo like before the fall and such, then not really, they're mostly really really bad

If you mean just the side stories, some have neat info but none are required

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I accidentally saw some video of Annie on YT that I hadn’t seen so I figured that person got featured in an OVA, but the writing in S3 is silly enough as it is so I’d rather just ignore middling OVAs if they aren’t super canonical anyway.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ufarn posted:

So beyond the regular Attack on Titan anime, there are some spin-offs with OVAs like Lost Girls and possibly other stuff based on magas, too?

I don't really care much for stories that aren't by the original author, so am I missing out on canonical story stuff by Hajime Isayama anime-wise if I just watch the regular show sans OVAs etc? Or are you "supposed" to watch things like Lost Girls for the full experience?

A Choice with no Regrets is officially canonical backstory focusing on Levi. Ilse's Notebook is an adaptation of a bonus chapter from the manga proper and has some nifty forshadowing in it , but by this point, in part because of the reshuffling done in the anime, all the content it was foreshadowing has already been aired.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
don't know whether to trust a writer with the name gun snark

I also remember some of the chibi stuff on some of the DVDs, don't recall a lot of extra content on my S1 Blu-ray, but maybe I'll take a second look at it.

Which Blu-rays are the OVAs supposed to be on, because my google-fu is failing me? CR doesn't seem to have anything, and I don't have my S1 Blu-ray with me right now.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 21, 2018

content
Feb 13, 2014

Some good romance manga? I know it’s vague, just want some warm and fuzzies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you want warm and fuzzy, a good place to start is girl friends.

Bonnouji is a pretty standard recommendation for a chill, happy romance too

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Itoshi no Nekokke

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 24, 2018

content
Feb 13, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Bonnouji is a pretty standard recommendation for a chill, happy romance too
Yeah, I read that and loved it! I’ll check out the other one.

Everything Burrito posted:

Itoshi no Nekokke

This looks great!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, My Love Story(ore monogatari) is both warm and fuzzy, and also hilarious. The anime is quite a good adaptation of a good chunk of it, too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are there any other good shows in the vein of black lagoon or jormungand? IDK why but for some reason the contemporary quasi-military theme really appeals to me.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

content posted:

Some good romance manga? I know it’s vague, just want some warm and fuzzies.

Otoyomegatari is a series of wonderful romances cleverly disguised as a historical drama.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are there any other good shows in the vein of black lagoon or jormungand? IDK why but for some reason the contemporary quasi-military theme really appeals to me.

They're fairly unique, but if you want to see those kinds of characters but stuck in a world that prizes absolute order, Psycho Pass is good. The aesthetic is very sci-fi though so if that's what you're looking for it's not a great rec. Other than that nothing's immediately coming to mind, but I don't have a super wide range in anime tbh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

klapman posted:

They're fairly unique, but if you want to see those kinds of characters but stuck in a world that prizes absolute order, Psycho Pass is good. The aesthetic is very sci-fi though so if that's what you're looking for it's not a great rec. Other than that nothing's immediately coming to mind, but I don't have a super wide range in anime tbh

That'd be the wrong kind of show for what they're looking for. Psycho-Pass can be AMAZINGLY violent at times, but it's not the same kind of tone or writing as Jormungand or Black Lagoon.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've watched psycho-pass (and gits!) as I love cyberpunky stuff as well

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
With Psycho-Pass, I feel that the action/violence is surprisingly sparse. Like yeah, some of what happens onscreen is hard to watch/stomach, but it usually happens in short bursts so when it does, it tends to stick with you. Again, just a general opinion (and mostly based on the 1st season; the 2nd season wasn't precisely my bag).

Getsuya posted:

Thanks for this. It’s definitely just what I was looking for.
Glad to read as much! :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
One of the most violent scenes in Psycho-Pass is in the first episode, which is also played much straighter than the rest of the series. Like the first episode has a serial killer and cops having to be talked down from shooting a sobbing woman and then like three episodes later you're in full-on "SPOOKY BOOGIE" and "I smoke a pipe made from the bones of a teenage psychopath because it makes me feel young again." territory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wark Say posted:

With Psycho-Pass, I feel that the action/violence is surprisingly sparse. Like yeah, some of what happens onscreen is hard to watch/stomach, but it usually happens in short bursts so when it does, it tends to stick with you. Again, just a general opinion (and mostly based on the 1st season; the 2nd season wasn't precisely my bag).

Glad to read as much! :)

The second season is pretty much a dumpster fire past the half-way mark, and had a different writer. The movie was done by the original script-writer and it's much better.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

theres a bunch of these, so idk why everyone is focusing on the cop series. there's several types of shows to rec here so i'll give you some variety

you have military affiliated stuff, that mostly focuses on the realism. shows like rescue wings, flag. these are a lot lower on the gunplay (0 in rescue wings) but have all the jargon

you have stuff that keeps the gunplay like gunslinger girl, cat poo poo one and canaan

there's an entire genre, mostly made by the now defunct beetrain, of series of girls with guns. just look up the studio

there's a bunch of movies like sky crawlers, but i hated that one myself, or the great jin roh, memories has a bit of military

there's also yugo the negotiator, didn't particularly enjoy that one tho

thats it off the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This might be more comedic and surreal than what you're looking for but the OVA Geobreeders has a lot of well executed operator action