Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr.Smasher posted:

The cutscene after the first trial kinda tells you.

go and forge another Sword of Light.

Oh, I already did that, so I could make the Supreme Sword of Light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr.Smasher posted:

The cutscene after the first trial kinda tells you.

go and forge another Sword of Light.

:confused:

You just need the Super Sword of Light, which everyone has in the postgame. You don't need a new sword of light or the supreme one. In fact, I know the supreme one doesn't work because I used it first and it did nothing.

e: Just to clarify for Some Numbers, the "trick" is to use the Super Sword of Light as an item and it will dispel his shield making him weaker.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:confused:

You just need the Super Sword of Light, which everyone has in the postgame. You don't need a new sword of light or the supreme one. In fact, I know the supreme one doesn't work because I used it first and it did nothing.

e: Just to clarify for Some Numbers, the "trick" is to use the Super Sword of Light as an item and it will dispel his shield making him weaker.

Yeah there's literally a Watcher in Drustan's Labyrinth where you can zoom to who tells you to "use Super Sword of Light! Win!" Also it's pretty much exactly like what you do in 3 to weaken Zoma but a sword not a ball.

Also I just made it to the bottom of the final bonus poo poo in dragon warrior 3 gbc and beat the final hidden boss EAT poo poo GAME

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shugojin posted:

Yeah there's literally a Watcher in Drustan's Labyrinth where you can zoom to who tells you to "use Super Sword of Light! Win!" Also it's pretty much exactly like what you do in 3 to weaken Zoma but a sword not a ball.

Also I just made it to the bottom of the final bonus poo poo in dragon warrior 3 gbc and beat the final hidden boss EAT poo poo GAME

now you just gotta play all the other dragon quests!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

now you just gotta play all the other dragon quests!

Oh I have this was just letting me knock out a thing I'd never done before because monster medals are BULLSHIT

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Is there a way to play Dragon Quest III without using an emulator or overpaying for the NES cartridge?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

U-DO Burger posted:

Is there a way to play Dragon Quest III without using an emulator or overpaying for the NES cartridge?

The mobile part is arguably the best version

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Mobile version is recommendable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah mobile version has a personality-filled translation and also doesn't have the monster medals that made me mad

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Sylvando is mostly on support anyway. Wyrm Whip is all he needs.

I prefer him with knives to more easily set-up an Erik combo(and be insanely rude to enemies that start off sleeping with persecutter) but that's a fair point

I just wish wyrm whip did more damage than none whatsoever

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress, my phone is incompatible :negative:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

I'm an outlier in many regards but I didn't play with stronger monsters, with the free-moving camera set-up and used greatswords for the Luminary and I never really felt like I was struggling for defense despite that.

I'm feeling it now, in the post-game but the main story was largely painless. Only time I came close to losing a fight was barging into a boss room early on when I still only had two characters and I didn't heal before walking in. And, y'know, the final boss, but that's to be expected.

I literally never put a shield on the MC once. Greatswords all through act 1 and 2 and dual wielding in postgame.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

The mobile part is arguably the best version

this is also true of 4 apparently. im playing it now into chapter 2, and it is UNBELIEVABLE that this game didnt have party chat in the US until the mobile version came out. Alena and crew have so much personality and great lines you miss out on by only seeing the main dialogue.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

you can basically use whatever you want, the only Protips I have for you on that front is never ever focus on claws, claws suck rear end in this game. So do whips.

boomerangs kinda suck too but have a very specific use in a post-game challenge fight that is incredibly useful

e:

DQ11 borrows a surprising amount from Heroes 2, namely the character skilltree(though xi takes the concept way way farther) and (act 2 spoilers) the entire premise of act 2

Claws loving own dude. Do you understand what a 20%+ crit chance and several attacks that hit 5 times or more means?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Your Parents posted:

Claws loving own dude. Do you understand what a 20%+ crit chance and several attacks that hit 5 times or more means?

Claws only get a slight crit advantage over spears and the attack loss isn't really worth it, Jade isn't like Alena who was an unstoppable crit machine

Your Parents posted:

I literally never put a shield on the MC once. Greatswords all through act 1 and 2 and dual wielding in postgame.

also, shields kick total rear end. I've gotten away with some truly boneheaded decisions because the boss' big crit animation did 0 damage. Also dual wielding isn't really that useful unless you're Erik(or you want to give Sylvando more charm)

I stopped using greatswords the second I could learn Gigaslash, but that's just personal preference. both work just fine

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 20, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

Claws only get a slight crit advantage over spears and the attack loss isn't really worth it, Jade isn't like Alena who was an unstoppable crit machine

also, shields kick total rear end. I've gotten away with some truly boneheaded decisions because the boss' big crit animation did 0 damage

I stopped using greatswords the second I could learn Gigaslash, but that's just personal preference. both work just fine

Jade in endgame with a great spear and maxed out spear + fisticuffs tree has like a 5-8 percent crit chance. with claws its 20 or more. that is more than slight

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Your Parents posted:

Jade in endgame with a great spear and maxed out spear + fisticuffs tree has like a 5-8 percent crit chance. with claws its 20 or more. that is more than slight

my jade is hanging out around 14% crit chance with a spear and claws only bring it up to 18% or something weird like that, meanwhile her base multifeet damage halves

it's not worth it, i've tried to make claws work so many times but they're just too wimpy and have no good techniques

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But spears are more damaging than Claws. It's asking between steady high base damage or rolling the die on the max potential.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

also, shields kick total rear end. I've gotten away with some truly boneheaded decisions because the boss' big crit animation did 0 damage. Also dual wielding isn't really that useful unless you're Erik(or you want to give Sylvando more charm)

the mc becomes the best target-all damage dealer in the game with the luminary sword abilities and gigaslash/gash, and having another sword tacks on another 150+ damage on every enemy with those attacks.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
plus having two swords of light is badass.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tae posted:

But spears are more damaging than Claws. It's asking between steady high base damage or rolling the die on the max potential.

also for some reason Rab got the actually good claw moves like rake n' break

Your Parents posted:

the mc becomes the best target-all damage dealer in the game with the luminary sword abilities and gigaslash/gash, and having another sword tacks on another 150+ damage on every enemy with those attacks.

The casters outpace him in terms of raw damage but yeah I did rock a 2nd sword to gigaslash fools with for a while which tacked on a couple more damage, that's a fair point. I think it might be a normal-hard difference since a 2nd weapon only gives me a like 40-60 damage boost instead of 150+, unless you're also playing on Hard in which case I'm just bad at video games

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 20, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I overleveled by accident zoning out and doing the electro light/ haulellujah combo for too long so thats probably why my numbers are all weird. also my memory is goldfish-like

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, I finished the game. I know enough DQ lore to know the name Erdrick, but not much more than that. If the thread hadn't mentioned that the post credits scene is a reference to DQ3, I would've been completely lost.

I went Sword and Shield with Hero and Eight for most of the game. Sword Dance and Gyrfalcon Slash have really high damage modifiers and randomly blocking incoming attacks is awesome.

I also didn't get any of the Hero's Giga- skills.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Microcline posted:

There's been an gradual trend in the games of making MP less relevant.

DQ1: Can't recover MP
DQ2: Wizard rings recover some MP but are rare or expensive
DQ3: Same, but with DrainMagic which drains a few points of MP (can be difficult to use effectively as random encounters don't mess around)
DQ4: Introduction of Magic Water, which recovers some MP
DQ5: Introduction of Elfin Elixer, which recovers all MP
DQ6-8: MP consumables become easier to obtain
DQ9: Random encounters can now be avoided
DQ11: Random encounters are now effectively optional and HP/MP recovery sites are found on almost every map

So they've effectively in the same situation Final Fantasy was in where HP/MP persists between fights (and the game is balanced as it if matters) but it doesn't matter.

Yeah, it rules! It's the first game besides Lost Odyssey or a Tales of game that I don't feel cautious about using magic in because it's so easy to get it back.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Microcline posted:

There's been an gradual trend in the games of making MP less relevant.

DQ1: Can't recover MP
DQ2: Wizard rings recover some MP but are rare or expensive
DQ3: Same, but with DrainMagic which drains a few points of MP (can be difficult to use effectively as random encounters don't mess around)
DQ4: Introduction of Magic Water, which recovers some MP
DQ5: Introduction of Elfin Elixer, which recovers all MP
DQ6-8: MP consumables become easier to obtain
DQ9: Random encounters can now be avoided
DQ11: Random encounters are now effectively optional and HP/MP recovery sites are found on almost every map

So they've effectively in the same situation Final Fantasy was in where HP/MP persists between fights (and the game is balanced as it if matters) but it doesn't matter.

I'd still run out of MP quite a bit if not for the almighty Happy Hat +3

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Having two Belle's Bow +3's on Jade really helped her MP issues.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

How'd you get two? I've only ever managed to find one

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

How'd you get two? I've only ever managed to find one

That Act 3 event.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

That Act 3 event.

I only ever got the tiara for her from that

guess I'll have to go talk to some more npcs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

I only ever got the tiara for her from that

guess I'll have to go talk to some more npcs

He means the chance to duplicate gear from act 1 in act 3. I think that is the only way to get two Assassin Cards, and things like that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

He means the chance to duplicate gear from act 1 in act 3. I think that is the only way to get two Assassin Cards, and things like that.

Yeah, this. I was trying to be coy and I guess was too good at it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Speaking of, what are the best things to duplicate? Belle's Bow isn't bad, Assassin Card, Shield Bearer, Vanguard are all pretty good as they are decent cards by themselves, and if you are trying to max crit/evasion/block/enemy surprise those are the best way to go.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh, I might actually have 2 and never noticed then

Speaking of, what are the best things to duplicate? Belle's Bow isn't bad, Assassin Card, Shield Bearer, Vanguard are all pretty good as they are decent cards by themselves, and if you are trying to max crit/evasion/block/enemy surprise those are the best way to go.

another Warlock wouldn't be a bad idea, spell crit is both devastatingly powerful and real hard to get outside of very very endgame items

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 20, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

oh, I might actually have 2 and never noticed then

another Warlock wouldn't be a bad idea, spell crit is both devastatingly powerful and real hard to get outside of very very endgame items

Yea warlock wouldn't be bad either, you can duplicate 14 accessories, so with some planning you can duplicate everything you could want.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

4 pep pips if you did the crossbow sidequest for the islands.

And then I guess as many stat seeds as you have because why not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

4 pep pips if you did the crossbow sidequest for the islands.

And then I guess as many stat seeds as you have because why not.

I ended up with 35ish Pep Pips and 5 Pep Pops I didn't use at the end the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Re: claws - use the ones you steal in the final trial that give like a 10% bonus crit instead of 4% or whatever from the final craftable.

At one point I had claws pretty close to spear but I didn't stick with it since it could be streaky at times. It was pretty cool seeing so many crits when the magic happened though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Dang, I wish I'd thought to do that. I ended up with 5 of those schoolgirl uniforms by doing that but didn't think to have her wearing the ribbon. Now I just swap between that and a sorceress ring+3 or just two sorceress rings if I'm doing random battles or a boss fight.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

Dang, I wish I'd thought to do that. I ended up with 5 of those schoolgirl uniforms by doing that but didn't think to have her wearing the ribbon. Now I just swap between that and a sorceress ring+3 or just two sorceress rings if I'm doing random battles or a boss fight.
I'd had a Belle's Bow on Jade at the end of Act 1 simply because it was good, without knowing about the duplication "trick". Also, why would you need to duplicate the school uniforms? You can get enough of them for all of your female party members without duping, IIRC. One from a quest, one from Mini Medals, and one from the Thief's Key door in the Academie, all accessible before the end of Act 1, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'd had a Belle's Bow on Jade at the end of Act 1 simply because it was good, without knowing about the duplication "trick". Also, why would you need to duplicate the school uniforms? You can get enough of them for all of your female party members without duping, IIRC. One from a quest, one from Mini Medals, and one from the Thief's Key door in the Academie, all accessible before the end of Act 1, even.

I wasn't trying to duplicate them. I just happened to get more, because I like how they look on Serena and Jade.

I play dress up in games that don't give me tons of options like this and XCOM 2 okay.