Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Some of Construct's features are framerate dependent and some are framerate independent--allegedly. I have video evidence of regular, normal rear end gameplay being real slow on one person's screen and perfectly fine on another, with no real explanation from Construct support/staff about what the poo poo's going on there.

Fixed time step is sadly not a toggle I can switch on or off in Construct; I'm going to have to go back through and manually change every "per tick" script to a thing*dt equation which isn't hard but the fact that I have to do this at all is just loving silly. Construct's own tutorials and example games use "per tick" in their events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilcRS5eUpwk

You could limit or lock your framerate for this, couldn't you? Not too familiar with Construct but in most engines I'd just put a thing around my main loop to throttle it.

Something like

code:
elapsedTimeSinceLastFrame = elapsedTimeSinceLastFrame + dt

if elapsedTimeSinceLastFrame >= 1/maxFPS then
   elapsedTimeSinceLastFrame = 0
   do the main loop
else
 don't do that
end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
sadly, Construct 2 is Baby's First Game Making Program (I am a baby), I don't... think? I have that kind of freedom?

at the very least I can't find any forum posts / tutorials / instructions / mentions online for doing that in Construct, but I also have a brief history of doing a bunch of poo poo in Construct that you're not supposed to be able to do soooo

we shall see, I'm well into poorly charted territory now

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
This is 100% a programmer problem and not an engine problem and always has been. Don't perform movement based on the frame, use the delta time.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Lunatic Sledge posted:

sadly, Construct 2 is Baby's First Game Making Program (I am a baby), I don't... think? I have that kind of freedom?

at the very least I can't find any forum posts / tutorials / instructions / mentions online for doing that in Construct, but I also have a brief history of doing a bunch of poo poo in Construct that you're not supposed to be able to do soooo

we shall see, I'm well into poorly charted territory now

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9624/limit-your-framerate-build-to-60-fps

I read through this and it seems like a hack, but, really, cutting anything too sharply w/ as blunt of a tool as Construct 2 is probably going to be a hack. It's not a matter of not hacking at things, its just a matter of hacking at things in a way that it doesn't matter in the end.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

anothergod posted:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/9624/limit-your-framerate-build-to-60-fps

I read through this and it seems like a hack, but, really, cutting anything too sharply w/ as blunt of a tool as Construct 2 is probably going to be a hack. It's not a matter of not hacking at things, its just a matter of hacking at things in a way that it doesn't matter in the end.

Yeah, I saw this for nw.js builds, but all my exporting so far's been as an HTML5 browser build--I don't think I can upload that way to, say, Kongregate (though it does offer a fix for a potential Steam version, which is one less headache going forward).

Kong uploads just kind of involve me dumping all the files but an index.html in a zip file, with no real .json file to edit.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Construct 2 and Ticks

I remember having my mind blown when back in the day I found the leaked source code of a The Games Factory Sonic the Hedgehog fan game and they had a little projectile just offscreen which moved at a constant velocity and bounced between two nearby walls.

They counted each bounce and used that as their timer, incredibly-indirectly fixing the problem of lag. If the game lagged, then the movement took longer to run into the next wall.

It's obviously not what I'd recommend anymore but it was my first introduction to the concept and Construct 2 is basically The Games Factory except that HTML 5 is for poopy-pants.

Usually multiplying everything by deltas is the way to go.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Hammer Bro. posted:

The Games Factory Sonic the Hedgehog fan game

That is amazing, and does sound like the kind of goofy poo poo I'm dealing with

At the very least, I've learned my lesson about deltas, and thankfully not that many people seem to have Unusual Monitors (and this particular game isn't real complicated to begin with) so I'm not totally destroyed because of it

I'm just... still stunned, at how dumb the whole thing is, on principle

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Friends, could you please look at this rough draft of a trailer for my game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZpjj9Hbjo

It isn't done.. it doesn't even have the game's name on it yet. However I want to be sure I'm on the right track.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

baby puzzle posted:

Friends, could you please look at this rough draft of a trailer for my game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZpjj9Hbjo

It isn't done.. it doesn't even have the game's name on it yet. However I want to be sure I'm on the right track.

This is all super-subjective, but for me:

Good
Catchy music
Visual style is decent
Looks fun

Consider Improving
I don't like opening trailers with reading; assume you'll get 5-10 seconds of someone's attention, and jump straight into gameplay.
I don't really understand how to play from watching gameplay footage. I get "rhythm game with techno/EDM music", but I can't connect the colored lines, command inputs, and ship behavior.
It isn't obvious to me that you're pressing keys in time with the beat; even with the button icons, my intuitive assumption is that this is trackmania with music, and you're moving the ship with the beats.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Consider Improving
I don't like opening trailers with reading; assume you'll get 5-10 seconds of someone's attention, and jump straight into gameplay.
I don't really understand how to play from watching gameplay footage. I get "rhythm game with techno/EDM music", but I can't connect the colored lines, command inputs, and ship behavior.
It isn't obvious to me that you're pressing keys in time with the beat; even with the button icons, my intuitive assumption is that this is trackmania with music, and you're moving the ship with the beats.

Thanks. I think your feedback is in line with what I am expecting.

I tried to keep the reading light. Too many trailers start with the studio's logo or whatever. I don't even have a studio logo!

Maybe it is confusing because I'm playing music on top of unrelated footage, which might be a stupid thing to do. I'm doing that because I want to show a variety of gameplay, but I don't want to change the music every 2 seconds. Also, I've seen this in trailers for other games of this type.

At this point.. I think that people will get it or they won't. There isn't much more that I'm willing to do.. The game just has to ship now.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

baby puzzle posted:

At this point.. I think that people will get it or they won't. There isn't much more that I'm willing to do.. The game just has to ship now.

Yeah, I think you've improved it tons and tons from the earliest stuff you showed us! I hope everything goes well for ya :)

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I appreciate that.

Actually, I do have one specific question. I did insert two seconds of one of the tutorials near the beginning of the trailer. Should I put more of that into the trailer? Would that help people understand what they are looking at? It isn't very exciting or attention-grabbing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I'm not a marketing guy at all, so this may not be good advice, but my approach to trailers is to focus on showcasing gameplay/people having fun; in general, if someone can look at 5-10 seconds of your game and want to play it, there's a higher than average chance that they'll seek out more information. I don't know anything about the rhythm game space, but I think the stuff around 00:10-00:15 is the right direction to head in; it's someone proficiently playing the game while crazy stuff is happening and engaging music is playing. That's hopefully representative of the player experience, and it looks fun, so that's the kind of thing I would focus on articulating to potential customers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kassoon posted:

This is 100% a programmer problem and not an engine problem and always has been. Don't perform movement based on the frame, use the delta time.

Nah mang, if your game engine doesn't have a solid render-independent physics/logic tick loop there's gonna be a lot of issues with consistency. But then I'm the sort of moron who rolls their own loving vector math because I want the pixels to be right so what do I know

Side note how much of the increasing emphasis on randomised elements in video games can be chalked up to developers not wanting to build a consistent physics tick loop and instead half-assing their delta time poo poo and trying to make it seem intentional after the fact

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Regarding Trailer Creation: Derek Lieu's site has a LOT of info on making trailers for games. Two highlights: Debug Tools you should implement to make capturing footage easier and The Making Of The Spelunky 2 Gameplay Trailer.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

baby puzzle posted:

I only took a quick look at it but quick feedback.

1. A 1:50 trailer is too long, aim for under a minute it seems usually most people are aiming 30-50 seconds with a few of those ending seconds lingering on contact/game name info. So 30 seconds of total action/content seems like the current norm.

2. I still don't understand what the ship is for. Having all of the buttons prompts really helps but I'm very confused as to the gameplay. Would the game be functionally the same without the ship?

This looks quite a bit better than your earlier trailers but I'm still confused about the gameplay while looking at it for 15 seconds. Remember the Valve talk where they said according to their analytics most trailer views are less than 10 seconds without sound so you should communicate what makes your game fun under those conditions.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

baby puzzle posted:

I don't like the transition at 45 seconds to the vocal track, where there's some silence. I'd suggest starting the music track from the gameplay before the visuals pop in, while the title card is showing. The music at 55 seconds could probably be abruptly transitioned to when coming off of the first music track and skip the vocal track or leave it for the end of the trailer.

A few other transitions feel like they could be tighter, like the beats or first/last notes could connect better (e.g. at the 1:01 mark).

I'm still confused as to what the vehicle is doing and why it doesn't move laterally. I know this feedback has been given before, but it makes it hard to follow what's going on in the trailer because it's kind of distracting with the car jerking around.

The game looks gorgeous btw! Love the visuals.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I'd like to embed an action shot of the main model from my game directly onto the game's website, so that it is composited on top of the website's background.

Any ideas on how I could record from Unity and mark areas as transparent? Or would I need to mark areas with a specific colour and then use post processing software to cut that area out for transparency? Or is this all a bad idea?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Escape Goat posted:

I'd like to embed an action shot of the main model from my game directly onto the game's website, so that it is composited on top of the website's background.

Any ideas on how I could record from Unity and mark areas as transparent? Or would I need to mark areas with a specific colour and then use post processing software to cut that area out for transparency? Or is this all a bad idea?

Animated or still?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Could you import the model into a modeling program and use its render pipeline instead? Then you could set a transparent background, and wouldn't have to worry about semitransparent pixels or postprocessing or anything.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Here is a much better trailer, but still not 100% done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91cCd1qXtY

Next week I hope to make a new build of the demo, and get the steam store page created.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Good points, I should have been more clear. While the focus is on the model, there is animated gameplay happening (wheels spinning). I could recreate that in a 3D tool, but I'm so bad at them that it would take an excessive amount of time.

I'd like the background gradient to just be transparent so I can embed that gameplay directly onto the website. Although now that it's pointed out, the object silhouettes / edges might look bad with the compression.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah getting clean, good looking edges is going to be tough but to get something out of unity I'd make a bright green background over/instead of the gradient and use other software to edit it out and leave transparent pixels when you make your gif/mp4

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Haven't posted in this thread in yonks, but is anyone here using Haxe? Particularly, is anyone here using Haxe + Heaps + HashLink? Just curious to see if there are similarly crazy likeminds in the thread.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Got the transparency working via Unity Recorder thanks to this helpful fellow:

https://twitter.com/John_O_Really/status/1053707091356147713

I guess video autoplay and HTML5 video formats is a little more complicated than I realized. Even without an audio track and audio muted specifically, I can't tell why it plays sometimes and doesn't. In Safari it doesn't show up at all.

But in Chrome it looks cool:
https://punlock.io/index2.html

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Neat! Way more efficient than the way I was thinking about doing it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

minidracula posted:

Haven't posted in this thread in yonks, but is anyone here using Haxe? Particularly, is anyone here using Haxe + Heaps + HashLink? Just curious to see if there are similarly crazy likeminds in the thread.

I've been messing around with haxe, but I'm using openFL/Haxeflixel rather than heaps.

Although now that I look heaps has castleDB integration already, that would have saved me some time. Hmph.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
GameMaker question for y'all

I'm trying to design an NPC schedule system for my game. In short, I want an NPC to walk from one location in a village to another depending on the time of day.

I haven't touched Paths in my 3+ years with the engine, but they seem in theory to be exactly what I want. I'm envisioning using them to set up a bunch of major 'routes' throughout the village and using my existing scheduler to send people on their way

But every attempt to prototype this has fallen short. Paths are weird and the more I work with them the more it seems they're meant for extremely simple movement - like, an enemy patrolling back and forth forever. Has anybody found success using them, or should I just attempt to do my own thing with more traditional pathfinding?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Went through an old devlog and found an old pic of the forest stage. It definitely looked super dated. I had to make a GIF of the transition.

Weee progress

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Figure I'll post a screenshot for Saturday even though it's still super early dev graphics.

Implemented arbitrary sized borders for tweaking. The tiles in the center can be changed from dirt to grass using the tools in the inventory, with the pickaxe being usable to break the braziers into item pickups. Also got pathfinding in so the little slime can wander about. Next up is differentiating between squares in the garden and those on the border, so I can set up the ai for creatures that haven't yet visited but can appear based on your garden. It's coming together, working in 2D has made this a lot easier than some of my previous false starts.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Escape Goat posted:

Got the transparency working via Unity Recorder thanks to this helpful fellow:

https://twitter.com/John_O_Really/status/1053707091356147713

I guess video autoplay and HTML5 video formats is a little more complicated than I realized. Even without an audio track and audio muted specifically, I can't tell why it plays sometimes and doesn't. In Safari it doesn't show up at all.

But in Chrome it looks cool:
https://punlock.io/index2.html

That looks great! ...but you should definitely cut of the ends of the video when the lock is facing sideways so that it loops cleanly :colbert:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

megane posted:

That looks great! ...but you should definitely cut of the ends of the video when the lock is facing sideways so that it loops cleanly :colbert:

Agreed, that would make a satisfying loop. I'll change the game to reload the same level (or try to figure out Vegas Pro since I bought it in a bundle awhile ago).

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

For system requirements on steam does everybody just make up some bullshit? Or copy from another game? I feel like this is all I can do.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

baby puzzle posted:

For system requirements on steam does everybody just make up some bullshit? Or copy from another game? I feel like this is all I can do.

We’ve done it previously by running a loose-but-closed beta and asking people to try and run the game on some lovely machine and post their results. You do need at least a handful of people hyped enough to try the game out and report back though. We played it safe with the specs and then we refined the info a bit after launch when we got a bigger audience.

With the refunds being super straightforward nowadays the risk isn’t huge either if you’re not entirely off the mark with the min specs on launch so feel free to do some guesswork too if necessary.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I like to find out if my game will run on the HD4000 https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html. The last generation where this was in question was the 3rd gen (3xxx) series of Intel Core CPUs. The 4th gen (4xxx) Intel Core CPUs all have iGPUs that can outperform the HD4000. Tldr, the HD4000 will run Counter Strike at 60fps at 720p, so.... sup 2012 computing sure has happened in 6 years, but barely

Edit: if it helps, a lot of 'real' game companies will provide stupid high specs because that's what they devved on.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 22, 2018

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I've had playtesters that experienced lovely performance but I never bothered to note their specs. Oh well. I really don't know what all of the different video cards and poo poo are anyway. I've never paid any attention to those.

e: how's this? I'm not at all a designer but I'm attempting to make my steam branding images. They don't give you a whole lot of pixels to work with.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 22, 2018

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'd like it better without the head I think. Or maybe it just needs to be cropped a bit differently, as you can see hard cuts like you used a box selection tool

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

there's something about making a trailer for a 30 minute game that feels really silly

Today I'm making a 16:9 YouTube trailer for a word game that plays exclusively in portrait mode. I feel silly.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

baby puzzle posted:

list the weakest system you've tested on without crippling frame drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

baby puzzle posted:

I've had playtesters that experienced lovely performance but I never bothered to note their specs. Oh well. I really don't know what all of the different video cards and poo poo are anyway. I've never paid any attention to those.

e: how's this? I'm not at all a designer but I'm attempting to make my steam branding images. They don't give you a whole lot of pixels to work with.

I think you should definitely keep the head (but crop/insert it a lil more naturally) since it adds a lot of character & differentiates but also-for all the people who just glance at the pics, nothing really overtly conveys "rhythm game" from the pic as opposed to like, "Wipeout", you could try 2 find an elegant way to imply it thru design or u could go the Riff Racer path and just put a tagline on there like "High-Speed Futuristic Rhythm Racing" or whatever but i think thats an important selling point that ur gonna want to convey somehow