Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Good info, thanks Jamal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

PaintVagrant posted:

Post some pics, my dude.

'14 GSR, which is the 5 speed manual rather than the dual clutch MR. You'll notice the world's cheapest shittiest chinese tires on there because that's what it came with; I did a very light lunch time track session at NJMP this past weekend just to give it a whirl (Hyperdrive with those familiar with NASA) and I made them get loose at like...35 mph on the octopus at Thunderbolt. It's bone stock as far as me and my mechanic can tell, though we're both sure it's been modded a bit and returned to stock due to some scratches around the plastic intake clips. The driver in front of me in the hyperdrive was pushing her S2000 pretty well for that kind of session and I managed to get it up to 90 mph down the straight and braking early, and that's with not even attempting to get a good entry in to it. This car is fast, which makes me happy.

I have two complaints so far. First is that the shift from second to third is clunky as hell and soft, but I'm pretty sure it's just the poo poo bushings and that's easy to fix. The second is that it has 12 (yes 12) gallon tank and gets the kind of mileage you would expect from a turbo AWD car with 5 gears. Highway driving while paying attention to what you are doing gets you around 22-24 if you're careful, but man it goes fast if you start to have fun. I'm gonna need a third fuel canister when I track it for real.

Suspension probably needs a little work but I'm going to start with a rear sway and see where it goes - I've read the same thing Jamal mentioned w/r/t the ride height, so I'm going to stick withe stock springs for now.

In summary I like it a lot so far, the gas tank is the only thing I can see bothering me for the long term; everything else can be modded away. There's an Australian poster on here that has one that gave me a lot of great info before I bought it; I'll pm you his name.

Semi related, was anyone else at NJMP last weekend and catch the corvette eating poo poo down the front straight and nailing the corner worker with debris? I haven't heard anything about what happened but they had to be ambulanced away. Hope they're all right.

e: just thought of another thing: the trunk is miniscule because the battery, the diff fluid reservoir (I think) and the wiper fluid reservoir are all back there. If you take out the spare you can fit two tires with wheels back there and that's it. The seats don't go down since all that poo poo is there. Long way from my old hatchback WRX which could fit a house in the trunk.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 19, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The ride height thing probably comes down to a lack of bump travel as much as anything else. Basically don't slam the car and it'll be fine. And ifyou need shifter bushings or a swaybar or some fancy suspension let me know. I'd probably start with not those tires and set the front camber to max negative.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

jamal posted:

The ride height thing probably comes down to a lack of bump travel as much as anything else. Basically don't slam the car and it'll be fine. And ifyou need shifter bushings or a swaybar or some fancy suspension let me know. I'd probably start with not those tires and set the front camber to max negative.

Well yeah tires are a given :D I'll let you know if I decide on anything! Thanks!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

jamal posted:

Just a little story about ride height I found funny - for the longest time it's been fairly standard practice in Spec Miata to set the car low, to ride on the bumpstops. That was mostly due to the awful quality of the allowed shock package. There is a new shock package for the next racing year, an actual racing shock by Penske; during the combined Q&A session Randy Pobst, who was one of the test drivers, mentioned that you wouldn't want to ride on the bumpstops anymore, and then got come confused-racer questions about "what no bumpstops? Why wouldn't you do that?" followed by him patiently explaining when you have an actual race shock that does what it's supposed to, riding on the bumpstops is a BAD IDEA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlePjBjKn4&t=1401s

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 19, 2018

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Semi related, was anyone else at NJMP last weekend and catch the corvette eating poo poo down the front straight and nailing the corner worker with debris? I haven't heard anything about what happened but they had to be ambulanced away. Hope they're all right.

Yeah I was there volunteering on Friday and just driving and hanging on Saturday Sunday. That situation was very scary as the dumbass TT drivers drove through a red flag.They got chewed out a lot, and deservingly so. The corner worker was released from the hospital and I believe has a broken arm.

Think the corvette had a mechanical failure.

In other news I'm really slow at thunderbolt and I find it scarier driving there than the glen which makes 0 sense.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah I was there volunteering on Friday and just driving and hanging on Saturday Sunday. That situation was very scary as the dumbass TT drivers drove through a red flag.They got chewed out a lot, and deservingly so. The corner worker was released from the hospital and I believe has a broken arm.

Think the corvette had a mechanical failure.

In other news I'm really slow at thunderbolt and I find it scarier driving there than the glen which makes 0 sense.

Yeah the big lecture Christina gave the TT drivers seemed intense. It was especially bad given that Paul and Joe were talking about how well the DE2 guys did with the red flag drill before. It is insane to me that someone driving in TT wouldn't know what to do, or worse, just isn't watching the flags. I'm glad the corner worker is ok.

Turn 5 in thuderbolt can really gently caress you up if you're going too fast. There's barely any distance between road and wall and lots of people have a problem there; especially when it's wet.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I was in that de2 group!

turn 5 was the least of my worries. I was over-braking for 1 and 4 by a lot. 1 got better over the weekend but I could just not find the balls to carry speed through 4. Surprisingly 6 and 7 were my best turns which I thought were trash but Jordan told me they were very good lines through there.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

I was in that de2 group!

turn 5 was the least of my worries. I was over-braking for 1 and 4 by a lot. 1 got better over the weekend but I could just not find the balls to carry speed through 4. Surprisingly 6 and 7 were my best turns which I thought were trash but Jordan told me they were very good lines through there.

1 is absolutely about how much courage you can build up to brake at the right point, completely understandable. Getting 4 wrong (too fast) is what kills you in to 5, so I can see that too. In my WRX, 4 was about either tapping the brake or just lifting if I didn't get out of 2/3 right and then braking HARD on 5 since there's barely any room between them.

You're in a Miata right? I bet you can fly through 4, but it would definitely seem scary to me with no slow down!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

Just a little story about ride height I found funny - for the longest time it's been fairly standard practice in Spec Miata to set the car low, to ride on the bumpstops. That was mostly due to the awful quality of the allowed shock package. There is a new shock package for the next racing year, an actual racing shock by Penske; during the combined Q&A session Randy Pobst, who was one of the test drivers, mentioned that you wouldn't want to ride on the bumpstops anymore, and then got come confused-racer questions about "what no bumpstops? Why wouldn't you do that?" followed by him patiently explaining when you have an actual race shock that does what it's supposed to, riding on the bumpstops is a BAD IDEA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlePjBjKn4&t=1401s

This is very reminiscent of the time when everyone (developers included) realized that maybe there was a reason 1967 F1 cars weren't slammed to the ground on super-stiff springs, and suddenly GPL was at least drivable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was under the impression that during hard cornering settling on the bump stops was fairly 'normal' for a lot of stock cars :v:
Not saying it is optimal though

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

1 is absolutely about how much courage you can build up to brake at the right point, completely understandable. Getting 4 wrong (too fast) is what kills you in to 5, so I can see that too. In my WRX, 4 was about either tapping the brake or just lifting if I didn't get out of 2/3 right and then braking HARD on 5 since there's barely any room between them.

You're in a Miata right? I bet you can fly through 4, but it would definitely seem scary to me with no slow down!

Nope I’m in a focus RS I definitely need a little braking for 4 and can probably brake around the 2 marker for 1. Paul was telling us to turn in at the 3 marker for 4 which seemed insane. I need to get a ride along with him.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Nice car Gigi. I’ve definitely considered them recently. Their resale doesn’t seem as strong as older evos, so getting a decent one seems very doable for 15-20k.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Nope I’m in a focus RS I definitely need a little braking for 4 and can probably brake around the 2 marker for 1. Paul was telling us to turn in at the 3 marker for 4 which seemed insane. I need to get a ride along with him.

Oh word, I definitely saw you then! Paul's a great driver - see if you can get in with Jordan too, he does some insane poo poo with the BRZ.

Really the best instructor would be someone who is normally in another awd car. If Amy Dilks shows up at one of the days you're at try to get in with her or have her drive your car. She's reaallllly good.

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice car Gigi. I’ve definitely considered them recently. Their resale doesn’t seem as strong as older evos, so getting a decent one seems very doable for 15-20k.

Thanks! The older ones definitely go for less. I would bet that the 09 through 11 or so evos are the cheapest ones you can buy since the 8s and 9s are more rare at this point like you said. You should drive one if you get the chance.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2018

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

Daihatsu Charade that could do 2:18 on the old 15 turn T-Hill track, so I'm pretty sure I could make an actual sporty car fast.

Jesus Christ. At my third T-Hill track day a couple years back in my supercharged Miata 2:18 was my best. I'm a lovely driver.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Joe Mama posted:

Jesus Christ. At my third T-Hill track day a couple years back in my supercharged Miata 2:18 was my best. I'm a lovely driver.

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow again, anyone ever has one and any ideas on what its worth? I remember the 1ZZ would eat pistons from pre-cat disintegration and reversion, but otherwise it was pretty solid.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone ever tried police/government auctions for a cheap track car?

I’m sure police auctions are a crap shoot but I remember the university I went to would sell off their fleet of vehicles over time (they had a small rental fleet for university business) and they were kept in pretty good shape. Probably gov fleet vehicles are kept in decent shape too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Oh word, I definitely saw you then! Paul's a great driver - see if you can get in with Jordan too, he does some insane poo poo with the BRZ.

Really the best instructor would be someone who is normally in another awd car. If Amy Dilks shows up at one of the days you're at try to get in with her or have her drive your car. She's reaallllly good.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Ron in the BRZ. Jordan drives an evo and is an AWD boss. I know Amy she's cool people but a little too rough on cars for my taste.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Did someone say Thunderbolt?

https://i.imgur.com/nAcoke4.jpg

Here I am in the BRZ duking it out with the no horsepower cars. The fastest I ran on the day was a 1:41 but the car has more in it. I'd like to see what I could do on a slightly warmer day.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Ron in the BRZ. Jordan drives an evo and is an AWD boss. I know Amy she's cool people but a little too rough on cars for my taste.

Derp, I was thinking of Ron. I didn't know Jordan drove an Evo, I should talk to him.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Derp, I was thinking of Ron. I didn't know Jordan drove an Evo, I should talk to him.

Yeah Jordan will give you good advice. First thing will be more camber. Second will be abuse curbing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just throwing it out there but discounttiredirect on ebay has the PTIRES18 coupon going on now. $100 off orders of $400 or more.
Trick is to buy the 2x sets rather than 4x sets of tires... Just grabbed another set ( gently caress. ) of 255 40 17 NT01s for $670 shipped.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
twoooooo weeeeeeks...

...until this thing's finished with paint, the Kirkey 17" is mounted, and it's ready to come home. Would have been sooner if the entire shop wasn't packing up and heading to Florida to support two racers.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crain posted:

Anyone ever tried police/government auctions for a cheap track car?

I’m sure police auctions are a crap shoot but I remember the university I went to would sell off their fleet of vehicles over time (they had a small rental fleet for university business) and they were kept in pretty good shape. Probably gov fleet vehicles are kept in decent shape too.

Which cars would you want to track, though? I rallycrossed a P71 one season, but man it sucked not having a manual.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

kimbo305 posted:

Which cars would you want to track, though? I rallycrossed a P71 one season, but man it sucked not having a manual.

No clue. This is a long lead project and deciding on what I'll get is dependent on a lot of stuff that's just not concrete yet. Police auctions are a crapshoot but keeping an eye on them I've seen everything from audi quattros to Chargers to BMW 3-series. Problem is half of them are listed as salvage either due to being abandoned cars or stolen and written off by the insurance that covered them.

For a dedicated track car that's not necessarily an issue, I just couldn't drive them on the road too and from. But that makes them ultimately harder to work with since you can't just go out on the road to see if a change worked or whatever.

That said there's also a limitless supply of police cruisers/interceptors for like $50 starting bid in working shape (but at the end of their lifespan).

Crain fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 2, 2018

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm a silly idiot and spent $900 at the Porsche Experience Center Atlanta for the GT3 experience. It. Was. Awesome. I know that I'm pretty solid with car control, but with how direct and responsive that car it can be almost overwhelming--the tiniest input elicits a reaction. Going from my '82 911 with big tall sidewalls to an '18 GT3 with rubber bands...Yowzas.

Was I the fastest non-instructor out there? poo poo yeah. Were there people there who were hilariously slow? poo poo yeah again! Why someone would want to drive a GT3 or Turbo with no prior experience is beyond me, but they were out there.

And yeah, the engine. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIK6xpd7ItM

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Worth.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dave Inc. posted:

I'm a silly idiot and spent $900 at the Porsche Experience Center Atlanta for the GT3 experience. It. Was. Awesome. I know that I'm pretty solid with car control, but with how direct and responsive that car it can be almost overwhelming--the tiniest input elicits a reaction. Going from my '82 911 with big tall sidewalls to an '18 GT3 with rubber bands...Yowzas.

Was I the fastest non-instructor out there? poo poo yeah. Were there people there who were hilariously slow? poo poo yeah again! Why someone would want to drive a GT3 or Turbo with no prior experience is beyond me, but they were out there.

And yeah, the engine. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIK6xpd7ItM

I've been thinking about doing the taming the manual one with a 911T the next time I'm in LA. Was there a decent amount of instruction?

First autocross in my Cayman on brand new PS4Ss yesterday after my last few were on Goodyear asymmetric f1s that had 1/32 and 2/32 left. This is my first year autocrossing but holy poo poo. I went from being bottom of the pack to upper 1/3 in my usual PCA group. These tires are incredible.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

I've been thinking about doing the taming the manual one with a 911T the next time I'm in LA. Was there a decent amount of instruction?

First autocross in my Cayman on brand new PS4Ss yesterday after my last few were on Goodyear asymmetric f1s that had 1/32 and 2/32 left. This is my first year autocrossing but holy poo poo. I went from being bottom of the pack to upper 1/3 in my usual PCA group. These tires are incredible.

The quality of instruction is pretty good and they're also good at gauging your ability, but at 1.5 hours there's only so much you can get into. The handling circuit is also very technical and the combination of an unfamiliar car, unfamiliar track and shifting is probably too much to focus on. Your Cayman is a lot closer in technical prowess to the new 911s than mine is, so maybe it wouldn't be as challenging, but I know that if I had picked up the manual GT3 (which they won't let you do on your first time) I would have struggled to put it all together as well as I did.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was looking at a separate set of wheels dedicated to autocross and occasional hpde/track events and was looking at pricey stuff on Tire Rack when I saw a set of stock wheels for my car for very cheap. So here's a question I've been mulling over, is wheel weight going to be a big enough factor in autocross to go the more expensive route?
The weight difference between say, RPF-1's and a stock WRX wheel is about 7 pounds or so each which is a 28 lb difference. It seems significant but if I'm putting RE-71R's on them anyways does it really matter all that much what wheel it goes on?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you think you might stick with it you might want to go with the max width for the class you intend to be competitive in and buy a wheel that will clear upgraded brakes if the WRX has stock brake size as an actual weak point when tracked heavily. I'd guess the RPF1 wouldn't clear STI brembos without decent sized spacers, so just think ahead.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The rpf1 is pretty bad for wheel clearance in some sizes. 17x8 +45? Fits sti brakes fine. 18x9.5 +35? Nope.

Some of the stock sti wheels are likely lighter than the wrx ones and have better brake clearance, so you could be looking at those too. Especially since there are rules for size and offset in auto-x and those are all also 18x8.5 +55.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to getting some of the footage off my gopro for my last day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOe8SmjQNng

This was from near the end of the day getting close to being used to the track. Honestly most of the day was a bit of a nightmare, we had red flags in the double figures. Someone would go off, get stuck in a gravel trap causing the red flag and then we'd wait for the session to start again.

Obviously people were impatient so the track would open up again and people would just go hard from the get go causing another loving red flag. This happened multiple times so they had to have another briefing in the afternoon to bollock people for being stupid.

This also meant the morning session was incredibly busy which made it pretty hard for me to learn the track. I got into a bit of a better rhythm in the afternoon but after looking at the footage I can see where I can improve at least. A bunch of corners where I would be holding it in 3rd instead of going to 4th so I could carry more speed. Plus I kept on turning in early in some corners, like the first one which tightens up significantly.

The crainer curves are scary but fun as you hurtle downhill at 100+ through the curve and then have to line up the car for the corner at the bottom of the hill.

Still was a decent enough day, this was my second time at Donington. The first day had an entire grid of caterhams turn up and one of my calipers bleed nipples broke so I didn't make it past the morrning session.

This time the car was perfect, although I need to raise the front a little and get it aligned again.

I might see if I can do one more day this year if I can find the time and the weather doesn't get much shitter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What kind of harness do you guys run in the passenger side? It seems like HANS belts should be run with HANS only, but at the same time you can't guarantee that everyone sitting over there has a HANS device because JUST A TRACKDAY, DUDE.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Everybody here requires equal restraints be available for the passenger, but the passenger can choose to use the stock 3-point if so equipped. My club will in January start enforcing a hans-with-harness rule, too. They were supposed to get a few loaner hans/helmet setups to facilitate ridealongs, we'll see how it goes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Passenger side? Isn't that where the ballast, radios, firebottle and stuff go?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
passenger side gets belts that are in good condition, but might be expired belts or the adjusters might not be that nice. i bought new 3” g force belts for the passenger side, and i probably wouldn’t do it again.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Anyone ever do an event with Just Track It? I just did one yesterday at Barber and I've never seen a more crowded track with less etiquette being displayed. People tailing at race distance, consistent passing without pointbys, entering corners two or three wide--I've seen less door to door racing at Lemons.

I was in the intermediate 2 group, too, and I was amazed at how few drivers seemed to know how to handle their cars on track.

Oh, and there were two crashes over the day and my group was black flagged in two different sessions for incidents on the out lap.

Organizers didn't seem to do anything or enforce any of the rules, either. Forget this group.

Edit: oh and to add insult to injury my GoPro defaulted to time lapse instead of video for quick capture.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Benny Hill style video complete with Yackety Sax backing...trax, or it didn't happen.