Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan Smithee posted:

make it hard R and then we'll talk

This is what my pirate wife says to me when I ask for sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Time to close the thread I guess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

make it hard R and then we'll talk

honestly, Mortal Kombat is simultaneously the franchise where this makes the most and yet least sense

like, yeah, on one level, of loving course it should be R, half of why the series is famous is because of ridiculous gore. but on the other hand, the first movie was PG-13 and managed fine, and was even surprisingly brutal for the rating, because that's not actually the important part of MK and when you hone in on the actual important parts it starts seeming like something you should probably try to make kid-friendly-ish.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, Mortal Kombat is simultaneously the franchise where this makes the most and yet least sense

like, yeah, on one level, of loving course it should be R, half of why the series is famous is because of ridiculous gore. but on the other hand, the first movie was PG-13 and managed fine, and was even surprisingly brutal for the rating, because that's not actually the important part of MK and when you hone in on the actual important parts it starts seeming like something you should probably try to make kid-friendly-ish.

...do you think that an otherwise-hard-R-for-violence Mortal Kombat movie could get a PG-13 rating if they used the common video game censorship tactic of recoloring the blood and replacing the gore with something silly that's obviously a stand-in for gore? That'd really be something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JethroMcB posted:

holy poo poo, I knew it did poorly but I thought that meant Hollywood Franchise Blockbuster "It only made $200 million" poorly. Split outgrossed it on a $9 mil budget.

(I think Bumblebee is going to underperform at the the US box office due to a crowded marketplace but do just fine in China; the forthcoming Transformers reboot will be about a bunch of robots that transform into BYDs and Geelys while teaching lessons about the importance of allegiance to the Autobot party and never questioning the wisdom of leadership.)

Funny thing is that Transformers Animated had Autobot society (which had won for the war for Cybertron millennia ago with the Decepticons exiled to the fringes) basically something like that.

And Mortal Kombat could go a few ways. Deadpool certainly shows you can go R rated and be a ridiculous comedy. Most of the people who care about Mortal Kombat are adults now anyway.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It would be completely insane to make a PG-13 rated MK movie in a post Saw got eight theatrical releases and Hannibal aired on NBC world.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can make an R-rated Mortal Kombat movie but you're going to have to sell it using more than just ultra violence. Cast or martial arts cred or humour or something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

You can make an R-rated Mortal Kombat movie but you're going to have to sell it using more than just ultra violence. Cast or martial arts cred or humour or something.

Humor is the way to go with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

...do you think that an otherwise-hard-R-for-violence Mortal Kombat movie could get a PG-13 rating if they used the common video game censorship tactic of recoloring the blood and replacing the gore with something silly that's obviously a stand-in for gore? That'd really be something.

from what I'm aware, this is quite literally what Alita: Battle Angel is doing in order to both keep the insane gore from the comic and nab a PG-13

the delays and the fact that it still doesn't have a pinned-down rating makes me think they might be waffling on whether to just make it a straight-up R, though; it'd be pretty simple to color-correct the blood back to red from (apparently) neon blue if necessary

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Humor is the way to go with it.

It's what makes MK 9 and X work, that's for sure. NRS did a really good job making the heroes a charming, funny group of people - even characters like Kotal Khan end up working as the comically serious straight men. And you could do a lot worse for a movie pitch than adapting MKX: the legions of hell are invading, and Earth's best hope is a squad consisting of a special forces general, a cyborg commando, an action movie star, a blind samurai with psychic powers, a young special forces officer, an Olympic kickboxer, a ninja, and a gay Shaolin monk.

And in MKX, Johnny does have a nut punch brutality.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 20, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lobok posted:

This is what my pirate wife says to me when I ask for sex.
:eyepop: Hahahahahahahaha

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HAHAHAHA YES I REMEMBERED RIGHT

it's not the speed-bag thing but you literally nutshot someone so hard their eyes pop out like something out of Riki-Oh

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Neo Rasa posted:

It would be completely insane to make a PG-13 rated MK movie in a post Saw got eight theatrical releases and Hannibal aired on NBC world.

This is ridiculous, Venom broke the October record by 20 million with an audience that was only 36% over 25. They don’t need to make it R because you’re old and nostalgic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Enderzero posted:

This is ridiculous, Venom broke the October record by 20 million with an audience that was only 36% over 25. They don’t need to make it R because you’re old and nostalgic.

isn't Halloween projected to re-break that record as a very, very R-rated movie though

e: basically what I'm saying is, a lot of this depends on the IP. if you have an IP with kid appeal (ie Venom), yeah, making it PG-13 makes sense and is probably the sane choice. but if you have an IP that specifically trades on R-rated content, or if you're doing an original IP in a genre that usually thrives on it (horror, action, comedy), you'd lose a lot more audience members than you'd actually gain by cutting to PG-13; kids either aren't going to give a poo poo or will be disallowed from seeing it anyways, and the adults who would have seen it had it been R will just be mad that you made it kiddy.

being completely honest, I feel like PG-13 Deadpool 2 is gonna be the test of this; if it does particularly well and reviews come in like "the edits didn't hurt the movie at all!", we can probably say goodbye to wide-release non-horror R-rated movies, period. like, to the extent of stuff like John Wick 3 and Halloween 2 probably having mandated PG-13 ratings.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 20, 2018

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

isn't Halloween projected to re-break that record as a very, very R-rated movie though

:lol: Halloween is rated B15 in my country (that's 15 year olds can get in, younger people with their parents or an adult), it didn't even reach the C or D which is the "only adults" rating.

Deadpool 1 was actually a C, Deadpool 2 got downgraded ,if I remember correctly.

Movie theaters in my country probably don't wanna miss the sweet sweet money from teenagers.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

No, though it’s looking like it will get second place all time. And of course It and Deadpool helped break the notion that R ratings automatically limit box office. I just think it’s silly to say MK must be R and use a network tv show as proof? You could make it PG-13 or R, who cares, just make something good first and foremost - that was the lesson, not “there’s been harder stuff released”.

Edit: I agree with your edit. I’m think calling it completely insane to make a more widely available movie doesn’t make sense, unless doing that would work against the genre so hard that it makes the movie untenable.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 20, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: Halloween is rated B15 in my country (that's 15 year olds can get in, younger people with their parents or an adult), it didn't even reach the C or D which is the "only adults" rating.

:stare: that... actually kind of surprises me. assuming you're talking about the 2018 one (I am) it's an 18+ basically everywhere else in the world and, having seen it, I'd say that's pretty justified, it's a loving brutal movie in parts.

e: yeah, looking at IMDB, Australia, Mexico, Hong Kong and a couple provinces of Canada are the only places it's not 17/18+. oddly enough, in Quebec it's equivalent to a PG-13; Quebecois people must be pretty loving hardcore, I've seen similarly weirdly low ratings from there before.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 20, 2018

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Edit: ^^Holy poo poo Quebec, what the gently caress guys?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:stare: that... actually kind of surprises me. assuming you're talking about the 2018 one (I am) it's an 18+ basically everywhere else in the world and, having seen it, I'd say that's pretty justified, it's a loving brutal movie in parts.

Yeah. the 2018 one. I did a quick look at this movie theater monopoly's webpage, and yeah, it's a B15. I'm gonna have to endure a few families bringing their young children tomorrow, I suppose.

I'm really not sure how or why, they managed to make it not R. (or who they offered tons of money).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
other movies that are PG-13 in Quebec: Hereditary, Upgrade, Pulp Fiction, Logan, Starship Troopers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

HAHAHAHA YES I REMEMBERED RIGHT

it's not the speed-bag thing but you literally nutshot someone so hard their eyes pop out like something out of Riki-Oh

Cassie, Johnny's daughter, has a similar brutality where she nutshots someone so hard their head pops off. Her x-ray involves nutshotting someone hard enough that on a male character she visibly explodes their scrotum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ratings systems are basically opaque bullshit everywhere. A lot of it is technicalities more than anything, I'm sure.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ratings systems are basically opaque bullshit everywhere. A lot of it is technicalities more than anything, I'm sure.

I've been poking at this a bit, and it seems like Quebec is just absurdly permissive compared to most of the world. Very few things get an 18+ rating there, and the vast majority of them are extreme gore flicks, contain graphic sexual violence, or both; the stuff that would usually be considered a hard R or NC-17 in America is 16+ (for examples, mother!, Mandy, Terrifier, and Hacksaw Ridge got this rating), and pretty much anything PG-13 or R that doesn't fit those categories is 13+.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

isn't the only reason anyone plays MK games is the absurd violence?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

no. It’s a real fighting game that has a low barrier to entry. MK9 the reboot was the best about this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

not... not really. Mortal Kombat 9 and MKX are legit good fighting games from a mechanical standpoint, to the extent where SonicFox, one of the FGC's current top hotshots, pretty much made his name as a MK/Injustice player. it's also relatively simple on top of this, without a whole lot of hand-pretzel-making motions required for special moves or combos, making it a good "gateway game" for people who wanna get into competitive FGs. past that, there's a fuckton of single-player content compared to most fighters (what with the surprisingly good story mode and challenge towers and Krypt and all), meaning even if you don't care about the FGC at all it's probably got something for you provided you like fighters at all.

like, to be completely honest, the gore is kind of starting to be a millstone around MK's neck, because... well, televised esports are starting to be a thing. Street Fighter V is a completely awful fighting game and it's basically eating NRS' lunch where this is concerned, because you basically can't show MKX on TV due to the gore actually being kinda disturbing and not just goofy, and Injustice likely requires licensing agreements with DC making that non-viable.

e: also, on top of this, MK legitimately has a really fun story compared to most fighting game series (Tekken is the only one I'd say is better, and it's... less accessible). like, MK's cosmology is straight bonkers in really hilarious and awesome ways.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 20, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MK needs to bring back the alternate finishers, Hara-Kiri, Brutality, Animality, Friendship, the whole lot. Thing is that while gimmicky in gameplay once the novelty wears off, things like Fatalities are GREAT for a spectator sport.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

MK needs to bring back the alternate finishers, Hara-Kiri, Brutality, Animality, Friendship, the whole lot. Thing is that while gimmicky in gameplay once the novelty wears off, things like Fatalities are GREAT for a spectator sport.

every character in X has 3 fatalities and like a billion Brutalities, which in the reboot canon, are basically mini-fatalities (like the Johnny Cage "punch their nuts so hard their eyes pop out" one).

with the Alien DLC, in the variation that lets you summon facehuggers, you can get a Brutality that makes a chestburster pop out of the other guy... and if it's a character that wears a hat, the chestburster will also be wearing that hat

so you can get a chestburster with a little Raiden hat :3:

e: that's kind of the other thing that makes me unironically love MK, the games just have the absolute goofiest loving sense of humor and it works perfectly juxtaposed with all the brutal violence. like, honestly, if you made a completely accurate MK movie that gets both the gore and the tone right, it'd probably still get a PG-13 for the same reasons as, like, Drag Me To Hell; it's kind of hard to be disturbed by violence that's surrounded by idiosyncratic jokes.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 20, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Desperado Bones posted:

Edit: ^^Holy poo poo Quebec, what the gently caress guys?

Yeah. the 2018 one. I did a quick look at this movie theater monopoly's webpage, and yeah, it's a B15. I'm gonna have to endure a few families bringing their young children tomorrow, I suppose.

I'm really not sure how or why, they managed to make it not R. (or who they offered tons of money).

It's rated as 15 here in Denmark, but that is partly because we don't have a higher rating. Also, if you're accompanied by an adult you can still get in to see it if you're under 15.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The MSJ posted:

That Playstation Classic coming in December better have Alien Trilogy.

I wouldn't hold my breath for anything that isn't already on the PSN. It looks like the thing isn't even going to have analog sticks so that means no Ape Escape too

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

every character in X has 3 fatalities and like a billion Brutalities, which in the reboot canon, are basically mini-fatalities (like the Johnny Cage "punch their nuts so hard their eyes pop out" one).

with the Alien DLC, in the variation that lets you summon facehuggers, you can get a Brutality that makes a chestburster pop out of the other guy... and if it's a character that wears a hat, the chestburster will also be wearing that hat

so you can get a chestburster with a little Raiden hat :3:

e: that's kind of the other thing that makes me unironically love MK, the games just have the absolute goofiest loving sense of humor and it works perfectly juxtaposed with all the brutal violence. like, honestly, if you made a completely accurate MK movie that gets both the gore and the tone right, it'd probably still get a PG-13 for the same reasons as, like, Drag Me To Hell; it's kind of hard to be disturbed by violence that's surrounded by idiosyncratic jokes.

wait am I to believe this is a xeno-Raiden hybrid? Man prometheus dropped the ball

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alan Smithee posted:

wait am I to believe this is a xeno-Raiden hybrid? Man prometheus dropped the ball

In the xenomorph's arcade mode ending, you also see a four-armed xenomorph from Goro or one of his buddies getting facehugged.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even an R rated mortal kombat movie would have to be more restrained and toned down than the amount of psuedo-realistic violence the last couple of games have gotten to

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that "gritty reboot" Mortal Kombat video where Baraka is a former plastic surgeon who flipped out, mutilated himself and implanted surgical blades in his forearms which he uses to decapitate Johnny Cage? That thing must be nearly 10 years old now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember that "gritty reboot" Mortal Kombat video where Baraka is a former plastic surgeon who flipped out, mutilated himself and implanted surgical blades in his forearms which he uses to decapitate Johnny Cage? That thing must be nearly 10 years old now.

It apparently had Michael Jai White as Jax

http://mortalkombat.wikia.com/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_Rebirth

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

I tried watching that, couldn't make it through the second episode.

I imagine an MK movie would draw in crowds for the novelty of a western studio making a martial arts movie again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never watched the series that came from it. My understanding was that it more or less abandoned the "grounded" aesthetic from the original short and went with the supernatural stuff from the games, i.e. Shang Tsung was an other-dimensional warlord rather than a corrupt businessman who funded unsanctioned underground MMA matches.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I never watched the series that came from it. My understanding was that it more or less abandoned the "grounded" aesthetic from the original short and went with the supernatural stuff from the games, i.e. Shang Tsung was an other-dimensional warlord rather than a corrupt businessman who funded unsanctioned underground MMA matches.

Yeah it was just a low budget adaptation of the games.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The modern Mortal Kombat games are extremely good, so it’s a shame that I gave up on MKX when it became clear that you’d need a spreadsheet to keep track of all its DLC.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah it was just a low budget adaptation of the games.

"Low budget Mortal Kombat" sounds extremely good to me, provided there is some creativity behind it. Of course I'd also love to see the MK version of Lord of the Rings in all it's glorious stupidity, but that seems to be a long way away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dark Universe did so poorly, that they're still making sequels to a spinoff of the pre-rebooted universe's movie from over a decade ago. I just got a Netflix notification that they just got The Scorpion King *checks notes* 5".