Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Feenix posted:

Can someone maybe like, make a website that just tracks all Switch software updates? I turned it on today and it was like, TINY GRAPHIC OF HYPER LIGHT DRIFTER and 3 other applications were updated!

SO loving USELESS!

I see similar complaints from time to time and I'm honestly curious why or how it's useful to know exactly what updated. Does it have an effect on which games you play? I guess I make my play decisions independently of software updates. Sometimes things just randomly get better, but I honestly wouldn't mind if it just suppressed that notification entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RZA Encryption posted:

I see similar complaints from time to time and I'm honestly curious why or how it's useful to know exactly what updated. Does it have an effect on which games you play? I guess I make my play decisions independently of software updates. Sometimes things just randomly get better, but I honestly wouldn't mind if it just suppressed that notification entirely.
Sometimes software updates are non-minor things and content updates, and it would be cool to be able to see that without looking it up or being overly connected to the gaming news world.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
PvP sucks in Bloodborne but thats the only knock against it I can think of

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RZA Encryption posted:

You’re clearly not one of the many people who are afflicted by Patch-update-itis. That affliction where you care about updates and it makes you interested in checking out the new stuff.

HyperLightDrifter updated and I couldn’t find peep one about it online. Dev said it improved performance... so that’s cool.

Just something I like knowing about. PS4 does it well. Just need to log patch notes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Whenever I see a game has updated, I always want to know exactly what updated. If it's just stability/bug fixes I let it go but don't tell me you changed gameplay without letting me know what! I think Valve spoiled me, TF2 updates always listed what was being rebalanced, by how much, and why. Then it was followed by a list of which specific bugs got fixed. If my minor game update changes the ceiling colour from 900C3F to 900C3E I expect a goddamn paragraph. I know these are unreasonable, possibly insane desires, but those are my genuine feelings. I think it's a combination of my fear of change, combined with a general desire to know how poo poo gets did. I want the directors commentary on basically everything I see all the time.

This went somewhere weird.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

THE loving MOON posted:

PvP sucks in Bloodborne but thats the only knock against it I can think of

That is actually extremely good because you virtually never get invaded but there are always helpers around

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How the gently caress does Night Trap work? The manual says I need to have the right color for each room to do the traps, but I cycle through all the colors whenever I see a bad guy and nothing happens.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, I think I got Night Trap figured out. It's a fundamentally terrible game You have to have the right color set to trigger a trap, and you have a very narrow time frame in which you can actually trigger a trap. But the color you need changes, and you have to figure out what the color is by watching the characters for clues. But if you watch the characters you'll miss the people sneaking in. You have to constantly be moving from camera to camera. You can't actually watch the plot FMVs for any length of time. I can't imagine how many tries you'd have to do to get the colors worked out, and then your prize is that you can just catch the bad guys but you still can't really watch the movies because of how often bad guys come in. You would have to not only know all the colors, but also when a bad guy is in any given room, and then you'd get the prize of being able to watch the videos with only a minimum of interruptions.

It's really terrible!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Your Computer posted:

this joke didn't work at all!

i'm sorry i just really wanted to poo poo post :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously, is there something I'm missing or is Night Trap basically designed to be completely unenjoyable?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Seriously, is there something I'm missing or is Night Trap basically designed to be completely unenjoyable?

I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the weird FMV early 90s game might not be very good

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the weird FMV early 90s game might not be very good

It's not that it's bad, I was expecting it to be bad. The thing is that it's completely self defeating. The rate of break ins and tiny amount of time to trigger a trap requires you to be constantly cycling through rooms. But the changing color codes requires you to watch the occupied rooms for long stretches. It doesn't work, the game places two completely contradictory demands on the player.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

congrats on actually getting to experience why night trap is bad, instead of just hearing about it from early internet fixtures like seanbaby, maddox, lowtax, etc.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

What kind of games can you play on auto-pilot while listening to podcasts?

I like SteamWorld Dig and Mario Kart 8 for this. Especially Mario Kart, once you are familiar with the maps then you don't need to be pay too much attention. Also, the long waiting time between races online becomes a nice thing when you have a podcast to listen to.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

krampster2 posted:

I like SteamWorld Dig and Mario Kart 8 for this. Especially Mario Kart, once you are familiar with the maps then you don't need to be pay too much attention. Also, the long waiting time between races online becomes a nice thing when you have a podcast to listen to.

Football Manager

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

krampster2 posted:

Dark Souls

e: not a first playthrough obviously

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Disgaea 5, Labyrinth of Refrain, maybe Arena of Valor if you're familiar with MOBAs and are in a stompy match.

Played my first match of Worms. Surprisingly long load times, especially getting to the title screen. Was worried it was frozen.

Other than that, we had a decent time in spite of (or because of) us not knowing what was what. Though I suspect it hasn't aged well when compared to modern pick-up-and-play party games -- there will definitely be a knowledge/skill gap if I play it against anyone else now that I've had a head-start.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

krampster2 posted:

I’ve been doing this with Enter the Gungeon. That game absolutely does not need sound or reading... I’ve gotten through hundreds of hours of audiobooks with it keeping my eyes and hands busy, but able to follow the audio action perfectly.

Before that I did it with Hyrule Warriors. EtG will hold me over until Diablo 3.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
In that vein, Risk of Rain would probably also be good.

Breath of the Wild?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Well, the Asylum demon killed me when I gave it a go with the busted sword hilt, but ya know. Got him on my first proper try after getting the longsword, even though I missed the drop. He's not so tough but boy does he have stage presence

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE loving MOON posted:

Well, the Asylum demon killed me when I gave it a go with the busted sword hilt, but ya know. Got him on my first proper try after getting the longsword, even though I missed the drop. He's not so tough but boy does he have stage presence

fun fact: miyazaki himself designed the asylum demon to be 50% buttcheeks to teach players the number one rule of dark souls - strafe around and stab the monster in the butt

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Your Computer posted:

fun fact: miyazaki himself designed the asylum demon to be 50% buttcheeks to teach players the number one rule of dark souls - strafe around and stab the monster in the butt

yeeeaaaahhh, lots of Souls bosses pretty much come down to hugging the back left quadrant and dodging occasionally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Computer posted:

The thread title for one of the Soulsborne games being along the lines of "What trickery is this, it has no rear end" is relevant for a reason.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is the most assless souls boss

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

there's a reason 90% of the player messages you'll see are like "try from behind"

Actually curious, what are the user messages and co-op/PvP like at launch on Switch?

Heath posted:

Flexile Sentry

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

yeeeaaaahhh, lots of Souls bosses pretty much come down to hugging the back left quadrant and dodging occasionally.

The best part of Shenmue is there is a fight with a one-eyed prize fighter where he is crazy difficult unless you keep dodging to his blind side and punch him from where he can't see.

Heath posted:

Phalanx

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Someone on reddit posted that the audio in the port is lovely. The video makes it seem so. What do you guys think https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9pjfpg/dark_souls_remastered_not_only_has_worse_sound/?st=JNGYOZAM&sh=7270a280

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I got the Master Sword. Is there anything else I should do before going to Hyrule Castle? I have five more of those Zelda memories to unlock, are they worth it? I've done nearly 50 shrines too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure it probably is but I can't tell from watching that video cause I've never given a poo poo about audio quality and never noticed it's bad in anything better than AM radio. I've only ever used headphones that cost less than $10 or my televisions native speakers.

In conclusion, gently caress sound

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I got the Master Sword. Is there anything else I should do before going to Hyrule Castle? I have five more of those Zelda memories to unlock, are they worth it? I've done nearly 50 shrines too.

Burn donuts outside of the castle late at night to piss off Calamity Ganon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

punk rebel ecks posted:

Unlocking Zelda memories is worth it as the last one really fills in the story and gets you a longer true ending

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I'm sure it probably is but I can't tell from watching that video cause I've never given a poo poo about audio quality and never noticed it's bad in anything better than AM radio. I've only ever used headphones that cost less than $10 or my televisions native speakers.

In conclusion, gently caress sound

Believe it or not, some people are like totally different from that

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fun Times! posted:

Someone on reddit posted that the audio in the port is lovely. The video makes it seem so. What do you guys think https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/9pjfpg/dark_souls_remastered_not_only_has_worse_sound/?st=JNGYOZAM&sh=7270a280

I’ve noticed missing sound sometimes. Hopefully it’s something that can be fixed with a patch.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The great thing about botw is that as soon as you're tired of it you can go to ganon. Unless you plan on completely shelving it and haven't done the cool sights like the island or the labryinth(do those), go ahead and fight him. But make sure to explore the Castle, it's design is legit one the best thing about the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fun Times! posted:

Believe it or not, some people are like totally different from that

Sorry can't hear you over this high pitched tone rapidly increasing in volume in my ear

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

gently caress cancer, I want a cure for my tinnitus.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mister Facetious posted:

Burn donuts outside of the castle late at night to piss off Calamity Ganon.

There are bikes in this game?

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Unlocking Zelda memories is worth it as the last one really fills in the story and gets you a longer true ending

gently caress, now I HAVE to do it. That forest picture on the bottom right looks like it is going to be a pain because it can literally be anywhere. And one of them looks like it may be in Ganon's castle.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

There are bikes in this game?

gently caress, now I HAVE to do it. That forest picture on the bottom right looks like it is going to be a pain because it can literally be anywhere. And one of them looks like it may be in Ganon's castle.

The DLC has a Guardian-era motorcycle horse.
It was a freebie for MK8D, too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You are correct, the first one isn't too bad though. If you go to various stables near memories you haven't got yet the artist guy will be there and look at your photo and give your a hint. Even if the hint is not good you know that you're in the right vicinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Model Camper posted:

I’ve been doing this with Enter the Gungeon. That game absolutely does not need sound or reading... I’ve gotten through hundreds of hours of audiobooks with it keeping my eyes and hands busy, but able to follow the audio action perfectly.

Before that I did it with Hyrule Warriors. EtG will hold me over until Diablo 3.

overdesigned posted:

In that vein, Risk of Rain would probably also be good.

Breath of the Wild?

Nice, thank you. I'd forgotten about these two games (I've played and enjoyed them on PC).

Forgot to mention I was looking for quick-play games though. Breath of the Wild is great with podcasts but I don't really like playing it in short bursts.