Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Scientastic posted:

It’s pretty obvious he’s asking for ways to conceal the jizz. I’d suggest adding a small amount of bicarbonate of soda to increase the pH of the rice, bringing it closer to the pH of semen, preventing the protein precipitation that gives the cloudy appearance.

It would be a lot easier to just use jismine rice instead of basmati

Snype: but I guess that might affect the mouthfeel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Thank you. I will take this advice to heart.

This is how I cook it. Soak for at least 15 minutes, boil it in way too much water, strain and drain.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Makin a pot roast in an instant pot. I browned the meat and then deglazed the pan with some beef broth but I don't have a very good tool for scraping so I only got most of the bottom clean. No big chunks of stuck on poo poo but if I poured the broth out I wouldn't call it clean. Do I have to worry about whatever is still stuck on a bit burning to charcoal when I actually start cooking the pot roast?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Makin a pot roast in an instant pot. I browned the meat and then deglazed the pan with some beef broth but I don't have a very good tool for scraping so I only got most of the bottom clean. No big chunks of stuck on poo poo but if I poured the broth out I wouldn't call it clean. Do I have to worry about whatever is still stuck on a bit burning to charcoal when I actually start cooking the pot roast?

No. Because you’re adding liquid to the pot, it’s certain to dissolve in the cooking.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Great, thanks. 90 minute ETA until pot roast :yeah:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Something like this should be part of every kitchen kit.

Wooden spoons/turners/spatulas are pretty much indispensable for scraping on pots/pans of any material that you don't want to gently caress up.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Scientastic posted:

For those confused about chili rules, I refer you to my 2017 publication.

Scientastic posted:

It’s pretty obvious he’s asking for ways to conceal the jizz. I’d suggest adding a small amount of bicarbonate of soda to increase the pH of the rice, bringing it closer to the pH of semen, preventing the protein precipitation that gives the cloudy appearance.

I have nothing new to contribute except to say: Scientastic, you are a national treasure, and I don't even live in your nation.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'm not sure where on that long stretch you are, but there are a couple of decent spice/chilli shops in Brighton if you ever find yourself near there. Looks like you can order online from at least one of them too if you need an extra option other than Amazon.

Another Brisket option that looks easy and would work for lunches is brisket, potatoes and onions and I always trust River Cottage for good ideas.

I like both of these links, thanks! I'm not particularly close to Brighton but I'll give the online store a look and see how the prices compare to amazon.
Completely agree about River Cottage, I find Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall quite irritating but he does know food.

Thanks for the other replies too. Will judge based on the weather whether or not to fire up the smoker or oven...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does cooked rice freeze okay? I just accidentally made like a gallon and a half of jambalaya.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does cooked rice freeze okay? I just accidentally made like a gallon and a half of jambalaya.

Yes, I do it all the time, although "okay" is the key word here. Try to get it while it's still warm if it's not too late.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

fart store posted:

If you like it with big chili chunks then hell yeah make it with big chili chunks. I'm sure everyone here would agree there's no wrong way to make a chili :can:

wormil posted:

Chili cop: Get yer beens outta muh chilli.

Pineapple is amazing and should be on every pizza but I'm not sure how it works in chili. I like pineapple in salsa but I'm going to pass on putting it my chili.
oh what sights we have to show you

89 posted:

I made some chili and made a video, you guysssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLhYb7gDo6c

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It can get a little bit mushy when you thaw but your jambalaya will taste just fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Elizabethan Error posted:

:barf:
gross is gross.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Elizabethan Error posted:

Hahahhaah
'pluhbonno peppers'

Any time a recipe video is labeled 'meal prep' you know it's going to rule.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a recipe calling for "granulated garlic". Is that just garlic salt, or garlic powder, or something else?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dried garlic and nothing else. Should be roughly sugar sized granules or slightly bigger

Garlic powder can be subbed I think, I'd roughly guess 1 volume of garlic powder = 2 volumes of granulated garlic

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 17, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I have a recipe calling for "granulated garlic". Is that just garlic salt, or garlic powder, or something else?

Granulated garlic is garlic that has been granulated, into granules. :v:

So no, it's not garlic salt, or garlic powder, or anything else. Granulated garlic is a thing in and of itself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is garlic powder not the same thing delivered in smaller particles?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

Is garlic powder not the same thing delivered in smaller particles?

It can, but the flavor is sharper and more one-dimensional. Since they're both dried, the difference isn't tremendous. I wouldn't double the volume of garlic powder though, maybe x1.5.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A few times it's been mentioned that an easier way to make rice is just boil it and pour off the water. I decided to try it, following a video that may have been posted here, or maybe YT recommended it. Washed the rice and soaked for 15 minutes. Boiled for 10 minutes, Drained and put in a serving bowl. It was saturated when first drained but after a few minutes it dried a bit and had a nice texture. The grains were larger than my usual way. I will probably switch to this way for awhile and see how it goes.
How necessary is the soaking?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Is there a vegetarian thread? I'm trying to go meatless (not full-on vegan; don't take my cheese from me) one day a week.

Also, what to put into rice and lentils? Rice and beans or rice and lentils are hearty, healthy, filling, and a great blank canvas for spices and veggies. They're my go-to veggie main dish. Do you have any preferred recipes?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bagheera posted:

Is there a vegetarian thread? I'm trying to go meatless (not full-on vegan; don't take my cheese from me) one day a week.

Also, what to put into rice and lentils? Rice and beans or rice and lentils are hearty, healthy, filling, and a great blank canvas for spices and veggies. They're my go-to veggie main dish. Do you have any preferred recipes?

Peas, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, Chinese longbeans, pearl onions... there are few vegetables I wouldn't mix with rice.

But look up tehari, the vegetarian version of biryani.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

As a vegetarian, you still need some fukkin tacos, and these are amazing
https://food52.com/recipes/33027-easy-lentil-walnut-tacos-with-cabbage-lime-slaw
(off topic but also do you some fried avocado tacos)

I've done Kenji's "vegan chorizo" which was quite good:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/vegan-chorizo-food-lab-recipe.html

Here's an ATK recipe my wife and I do quite a bit. Usually serve with a lighter side, like an herb-heavy salad or assorted quick pickles. Sometimes on naan.

Soup! https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/green-lentil-soup-with-curried-brown-butter-recipe.html with bonus biscuits: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/salt-and-pepper-biscuits

And for when you're lazy, this stuff is uh-mayzing. Sold most places, lasts forever in the pantry, can turn into red beans & rice or frito pie as-is, you can spice it up to have it go with any cuisine.

e: omg I almost forgot these, so good https://www.mynewroots.org/site/2016/11/plant-powered-sloppy-joes/

e2: also Dal is fantastic and foolproof: http://www.acozykitchen.com/red-dahl/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 19, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

Mustard/Collard/Turnip greens are amazing mixed into beans and rice. I recommend doing the greens up soul-food style - sauteed with some onions and garlic until the onions go transparent and the greens are wilty, then simmer them in a vegetable stock with crushed red pepper and hot sauce to taste. Mix that in with the beans and rice and get a dose of vitamins and minerals with the carbs and protein.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Follow Grandpa's channel for occasional vegetarian dishes and feel good charity.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Vegetarians are allowed to eat vegan food, so you can check out that thread. It of course won't have posts about all the food you can eat, but then again, even a vegetarian thread wouldn't accomplish that.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After thinking about it some more, I'd also suggest you just make some vegetable stock and can/freeze it for future use if you're going to be doing lots of beans/rice and a vegetarian diet. Vegetable stock literally is transformative when used as a liquid for making beans/rice. It's also best to make your own to control the amount of salt in it. If you keep the salt down, then you can use a 50/50 veg. stock to water ratio when you're cooking beans and not have them get tough on you, and infuse them with amazing flavor during the simmering.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for the rice/lentils advice. Now, how to spice up (pun intended) chicken pot pie?

I grew up on chicken pot pie and love the basic recipe: A roux of butter and flour to thicken chicken stock, plus chicken, carrots, celery and onion, all baked in a pie shell.

My wife, who didn't grow up on it, thinks chicken pot pie is bland and watered down. She's only had store-bought frozen pot pies. I want to make chicken pot pie for her, and I'd like to break from the traditional recipe.

My current plan is just to mix curry powder with the chicken. She likes curried chicken salad, so she might like curried chicken pot pie. What other spices would work with a creamy chicken sauce? Rosemary? Thyme? A little more exotic, like coriander or sumac?

Maybe some cheese added to the sauce? Or bacon (we make our own bacon)? I'm brainstorming here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going to try making gumbo from scratch this weekend, including making my own roux. The only big soup pot that I have has a non-stick coating on the inside, but I feel like every video I watch of roux-making using a pot without a non-stick lining. Is that non-stick lining going to be a problem for my roux?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bagheera posted:

Thanks for the rice/lentils advice. Now, how to spice up (pun intended) chicken pot pie?

I grew up on chicken pot pie and love the basic recipe: A roux of butter and flour to thicken chicken stock, plus chicken, carrots, celery and onion, all baked in a pie shell.

My wife, who didn't grow up on it, thinks chicken pot pie is bland and watered down. She's only had store-bought frozen pot pies. I want to make chicken pot pie for her, and I'd like to break from the traditional recipe.

My current plan is just to mix curry powder with the chicken. She likes curried chicken salad, so she might like curried chicken pot pie. What other spices would work with a creamy chicken sauce? Rosemary? Thyme? A little more exotic, like coriander or sumac?

Maybe some cheese added to the sauce? Or bacon (we make our own bacon)? I'm brainstorming here.

idk, tom kha gai pot pie

tom kha pie

C-Euro posted:

Going to try making gumbo from scratch this weekend, including making my own roux. The only big soup pot that I have has a non-stick coating on the inside, but I feel like every video I watch of roux-making using a pot without a non-stick lining. Is that non-stick lining going to be a problem for my roux?

Not really, since you aren't going for searing temperatures and you don't really need a fine metal edge.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

You don't need a whisk. If you've got a wooden spoon or a wooden spatula (or even a silicon spatula), then you're good. Just keep it moving.

Bagheera posted:

If you went with coriander and curry spices, you could almost make a pot pie that was sort of like a big samosa, and that would be delicious.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bagheera posted:

pan fry the carrots celery and onion to get a bunch of color on them before baking, same with any chicken you'll be using. throw the spices in with this stuff deglaze with a little white wine and butter.

For spices equal parts
Rosemary, Thyme, Chili Powder, black pepper. Top with a sharp cheddar

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Does anyone know what normally goes into sliced fish bee hoon/have a good recipe for it? Had some in Singapore and can't stop thinking about it but I dunno if what I had was representative of what it's supposed to be.

e: Also, in this thread or one of the other ones a few weeks back someone linked a site to order various beans online. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the link for it?

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 20, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I was gonna suggest the same. The only reason chicken pot pie is bland is if it's underseasoned. Getting some good flavor in the stock and adding some classic herbs and spices should remedy that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bagheera posted:

I'd say adding mushrooms may be good, they can add a nice savory flavor in. And make sure it's all properly salted too! If she thinks the homemade version is bland compared to a pre-packaged one that may be code for salt; the commercial versions will almost always be heavily seasoned. Don't over-do it, just make sure it's sufficient. A lot of stuff will taste not very good until you get the right salt content then it's great (like refried beans).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would also add gelatin to the stock, either through a packet or by boiling chicken feet/wing tips in the stock.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Does anyone know what normally goes into sliced fish bee hoon/have a good recipe for it? Had some in Singapore and can't stop thinking about it but I dunno if what I had was representative of what it's supposed to be.

e: Also, in this thread or one of the other ones a few weeks back someone linked a site to order various beans online. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have the link for it?

Are you talking about Rancho Gordo https://www.ranchogordo.com They have a lot of different beans on their site. Definitely on the expensive side, but I assume they're good beans?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Any recommendations for what hand blender (really, thats the english name?) to buy? I've been looking at braun mq7. Looks decent enough and has all the gadgets I want.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

Any recommendations for what hand blender (really, thats the english name?) to buy? I've been looking at braun mq7. Looks decent enough and has all the gadgets I want.

I don't have any recommendations, I got a cheap one 5 years ago so I'm interested too. But sometimes they're called "immersion blender" or "stick blender" as well. There's also a Kitchen Equipment Thread but I'm sure most of the people reading that are reading this anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

AnonSpore posted:

I have bought a lot of beans from rancho gordo and from this place
https://www.purcellmountainfarms.com