Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think it's a huge leap to say that the weird FMV early 90s game might not be very good

Early teenager me in the mid-90s thought Sony entering the console market with a CD console was going to end up like the 3DO and other failed CD systems because the Sega CD and 3DO and all them were full of bad FMV titles that were bad even when they were new, so imagine my surprise when the company that was mostly known for Walkmans and TVs was actually successful at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Go figure a gaming console can be successful when it has actual games people want to play.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also a massive marketing campaign and big jump in development costs.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mega64 posted:

Go figure a gaming console can be successful when it has actual games people want to play.

Those Battle Arena Toshinden demo kiosks really paid off.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Good lord. Mapping jump to clicking L3 in DS has made me a better person.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No more accidentally jumping when you want to roll out of a sprint.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I know it's been brought up before but I can't find it in the thread. What's the recommended grip for handheld mode? Playing handheld is starting to mess with my thumbs a bit and I could use a better grip.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flint_Paper posted:

Good lord. Mapping jump to clicking L3 in DS has made me a better person.

First thing I did along with swapping the bumpers and triggers.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is Hyper Light Drifter good on the switch? any significant downsides to other consoles?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So is DSouls worth it if I’m only gonna play handheld? I did like 2, 3, and BB, but I’m worried the quality of 1 in handheld would be poop.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

is Hyper Light Drifter good on the switch? any significant downsides to other consoles?
Switch version supposed to be the definitive version

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The Switch version is really good, runs perfectly as far as I can tell. Also the co-op is a lot of fun, reminds m of the of how Kirby does it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Brief footage of Warframe on switch at about 10:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZqB04En2Q

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Echophonic posted:

The Switch version is really good, runs perfectly as far as I can tell. Also the co-op is a lot of fun, reminds m of the of how Kirby does it.

Hold the phone, there's co-op? That sounds fun but doesn't that really put a damper on your superdash-everywhere theme?
I guess if they warp-star you to player 1 when he Goes Fast then that sorta works, but it still seems disorienting for P2

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Brief footage of Warframe on switch at about 10:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZqB04En2Q

I know it's just walking around the ship gameplay but christ Panic Button has some loving wizards to make it look that good undocked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

So is DSouls worth it if I’m only gonna play handheld? I did like 2, 3, and BB, but I’m worried the quality of 1 in handheld would be poop.

Yes, I'm playing it exclusively in handheld and it's so much fun.

In a diehard Souls fan and being able to play it on my commute is insane.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I know it's just walking around the ship gameplay but christ Panic Button has some loving wizards to make it look that good undocked.

Holy cow, that does look good. Between that and the work they've done on Bethesda's games they can name their own price if someone wants to port their game to the Switch.

edit: I got as far as killing the Taurus Demon last night, and so far I haven't been having too much trouble. Died like 5 or 6 times maybe. Nothing is ever gonna stack up to how hard DS2 was for me since that was the first one I played.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

THE loving MOON posted:

Holy cow, that does look good. Between that and the work they've done on Bethesda's games they can name their own price if someone wants to port their game to the Switch.

I hope it lives up! I played a little on Xbox to try it out and I like it, having it on switch would be great for me as I travel a lot

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yes, I'm playing it exclusively in handheld and it's so much fun.

In a diehard Souls fan and being able to play it on my commute is insane.

That’s awesome to hear, because I never got more than 5m into the original, but I totally love 2, so how bad can it be?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ignite Memories posted:

Hold the phone, there's co-op? That sounds fun but doesn't that really put a damper on your superdash-everywhere theme?
I guess if they warp-star you to player 1 when he Goes Fast then that sorta works, but it still seems disorienting for P2

Yeah, I played with a friend who 100%ed it on her Xbox and she found being P2 pretty disorienting. You basically cash in a health box to get a full-health second player with the same upgrades. I didn't find it too bad, but I haven't mastered chain dashing even a little yet. It's basically Gooey mode from Dream Land 3.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Took out my first pirate base this morning. They almost killed me a couple of times but then I flew close to their ship and skimmed across going around the underside where they couldn't target me, it ruled

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

THE loving MOON posted:

edit: I got as far as killing the Taurus Demon last night, and so far I haven't been having too much trouble. Died like 5 or 6 times maybe. Nothing is ever gonna stack up to how hard DS2 was for me since that was the first one I played.

I've died a million times and the only boss I've fought is the very first one. I've also only spent like an hour playing any dark souls game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I can't decide if I just want to continue playing Diablo on my PS4 or if I want to get it on the switch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DS2 is a bit extra cruel since you invulnerability frames in a dodge are non perceptible due to being controled by a stat not how your character actually rolls.

That said once youve played one of these you die a whole shitload less in any other youll ever play.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Can you realistically play Starlink without the toys? It seems fun but I have plenty of plastic hobby junk already.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Serenade posted:

Can you realistically play Starlink without the toys? It seems fun but I have plenty of plastic hobby junk already.

Yeah it's even better without it. It's the perfect game to play in short bursts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Serenade posted:

If you buy the game digitally, it apparently gives you all the toy items digitally.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Serenade posted:

I did a lot of research before buying and it's pretty clear digital is a more prudent choice than physical because if you get physical (unless you pay way more for extra stuff) you only get one ship which can be annoying because switching stuff out is valuable in-game, and with digital you get a bunch of stuff even for the standard edition. Also you have to re-scan the physical ships every seven days or you get locked out of using that ship. Finally, combining digital components with physical components is pretty restricted.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you buy the game digitally, it apparently gives you all the toy items digitally.

The deluxe version only right?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

The deluxe version only right?

I have the regular version and I'm just missing like 2-3 guns

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Over There posted:

I have the regular version and I'm just missing like 2-3 guns

Oh poo poo. That's a game changer. I was thinking it was like 80. Somehow that seems a lot more than 60 psychologically.

What the hell does the deluxe give you then?

Googled. Looks like 1 ship 3 pilots and 3 weapons. Dont know how significant they are

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Thanks yall. It looks like a cool game, glad I don't have to drink full and descend.

a7m2 posted:

Also you have to re-scan the physical ships every seven days or you get locked out of using that ship.
lol that part's dumb though.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh poo poo. That's a game changer. I was thinking it was like 80. Somehow that seems a lot more than 60 psychologically.

What the hell does the deluxe give you then?

Googled. Looks like 1 ship 3 pilots and 3 weapons. Dont know how significant they are

Not very. Pilots a take a while to level, so to start with youll only really want like fox and one or two others to deal with. Ships and weapons are definitely nice to have, but you've still got plenty of customization options with the basic digital version.

Ill prob get another digital ship or two when the next wave drops so I have some options.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What can you do with Starlink if you have the physical version with no ship toys? I’d love to rent this game before I buy, or just pick up used a year from now

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

THE loving MOON posted:

Not very. Pilots a take a while to level, so to start with youll only really want like fox and one or two others to deal with. Ships and weapons are definitely nice to have, but you've still got plenty of customization options with the basic digital version.

Ill prob get another digital ship or two when the next wave drops so I have some options.

Can you buy them piecemeal later? Super not worth :10bux::10bux: unless theres something I'm missing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Over There posted:

I can't decide if I just want to continue playing Diablo on my PS4 or if I want to get it on the switch.

I know not everyone is me, but I’ve come to sort of desire big, detailed, narrative, Triple A games on PS4 and anything that is small, bite-sized, more intimate, or can be played in bursts to be something I prefer on Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

What can you do with Starlink if you have the physical version with no ship toys? I’d love to rent this game before I buy, or just pick up used a year from now

Curious about this too. Can we access the Star Fox content that way?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

A few hours into dark souls now and I think I’m really really going to love this game. But wow, what a horrible demo they chose to show everyone beforehand.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It wasn't a demo, it was a network test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you buy them piecemeal later? Super not worth :10bux::10bux: unless theres something I'm missing?

The individual ships are cheaper digitally as well. If you dont care about the toys, digital is just flatly better.

Edit: $7 I think? Hell of a lot better than $20

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 20, 2018