Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dongattack posted:

This is my absolute number one beef with current TW games too, i want epic sieges and not smoosh my spearmanii against the exact same map every time.

Thrones has the opposite problem where the siege maps are seriously big and awesome. Too big and awesome for the armies. So there's a gate fight vs like six units and then 3x speed up the seven rings of dark age minas tirith to beat their final spearmanii that's camped at the town center. For extra fun, zone out while one of their units rallies and wanders off to go murder your cav.

Also, if I play again tonight I'm thinking I should recruit second stacks earlier in CnC since they encourage it with removing the extra upkeep. Even just an extra melee lord makes a big difference but I still play like I'm getting 10-15% extra upkeep from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Plavski posted:

Your rose coloured glasses are not remembering the massive administration nightmare that was. So ridiculously tedious, expensive and unengaging. The move to auto-garrisons you can buff up with your own armies is absolutely a move for the better.

I miss not being able to make armies without lords, that's something that really shits me about TWWH

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Plavski posted:

Your rose coloured glasses are not remembering the massive administration nightmare that was. So ridiculously tedious, expensive and unengaging. The move to auto-garrisons you can buff up with your own armies is absolutely a move for the better.

'expensive' is literally a variable in a video game. As for tedious and unengaging I dunno what to tell you except it'd solve a lot of complaints on these last few pages about the defense gig.

Hell I'd have a whole thing where you can zoom into the 'battle' map and put traps and tricks around however you wanna ahead of battle, although I'd cop to a 'hybrid' system where you can place additional units alongside your 'auto' garrison. So if you really wanna hold a settlement you take special precautions but otherwise its done for you

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Thrones has the opposite problem where the siege maps are seriously big and awesome. Too big and awesome for the armies. So there's a gate fight vs like six units and then 3x speed up the seven rings of dark age minas tirith to beat their final spearmanii that's camped at the town center. For extra fun, zone out while one of their units rallies and wanders off to go murder your cav.

They've tweaked the AI so it no longer does this. Now the AI contests you with everything, it never keeps a single unit back at the capture zone any more.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Everchosen Invitational just went live, games all day today and tomorrow and they're on the unreleased patch so Vampire Coast and updated Vampire Counts will show up at some point.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

edit: "all day" referring to US times, I suppose it's "all evening" for the Euro types

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In vanilla, between:

- taking bullshit climate attrition damage

- taking bullshit vampire attrition damage

- depleting your stack to crippling levels to colonize a bullshit city

- having to worry about bullshit rebellions from factions that went extinct ten turns ago

- and the bullshit amount of cities in this game from which the CPU will forever raise competitive 20-stacks even if you've spent the last 30 turns genociding all of their poo poo and they're down to their last two

... It escapes me why cities even deserve automatic garrisons. If you're unwilling to park units on it, there's no garrison. Now they could do novel things like make garrisoned armies not cost upkeep (but still cost money to raise and affect other resources), and give you special things to do with that garrisoned territory to prevent bullshit harassment from every conceivable direction by the CPU, but that sounds suspiciously like a game that doesn't need a shitload of mods to be good.

Speaking as someone hellwar'd the Last Defenders as Queek yesterday (yes I found the skaven goodness mod I was after), who were of no real threat to my armies the entire time, and only succeeded because in all that time no one else declared on me, the game is just filled to the brim with stuff that slows down play. I'm not even convinced public order is a good mechanic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Auto-garrisons are nothing factors when you have a real army. In the late-game, if you're running armies that have trouble with garrisons you're making bad armies. It shouldn't even slow you down, because the turn after you take a settlement should replenish your poo poo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

jokes posted:

Auto-garrisons are nothing factors when you have a real army. In the late-game, if you're running armies that have trouble with garrisons you're making bad armies. It shouldn't even slow you down, because the turn after you take a settlement should replenish your poo poo.

basically this, the autogarrisons are pointless formalities that only matter in the presence of real armies which will generally be full stacks of one description or another. They feel token and more importantly don't do their loving job of holding the goddamn fort.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Turin leaked that Saltspite will be getting a new unit added post-release.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

orangelex44 posted:

Everchosen Invitational just went live, games all day today and tomorrow and they're on the unreleased patch so Vampire Coast and updated Vampire Counts will show up at some point.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

edit: "all day" referring to US times, I suppose it's "all evening" for the Euro types

Basically the whole vampirate army can vanguard!!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

These Mourngul Haunters seem like they're going to be a nightmare.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

basically this, the autogarrisons are pointless formalities that only matter in the presence of real armies which will generally be full stacks of one description or another. They feel token and more importantly don't do their loving job of holding the goddamn fort.

Auto-garrisons are bad, becouse after certain point in campaign the AI will be willing to actually fight your armies only when their full stack is sitting in city with fully upgraded garrison, turning every engagement into either one-sided non-battle that can be safely autoresolved or an absolute agonizing slog of 40+ unit siege with no middle ground.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Those Mournguls are creepy as hell man, love em. Milkandcookies takes the first match against the Dawi with a more monster heavy VCoast build, no guns to be seen.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Motherfucker posted:

However, with walls and/or an army as a supplement they punch way, way above their weight. It solves that issue of having a unit of 5 spearmenii be able to come in and take over settlements far away from the rest of your armies.

It's nice beefing up Marienburg with walls and having its garrison alone hold against single Chaos stacks.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Basically the whole vampirate army can vanguard!!

Only the mournghouls and the Sartosa Free Company, looks like? SFC are a lot better unit than I was expecting, I figured they were a T1 filler but they actually seem to be more of a T2/T3 meatgrinder.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Those Depth Guard are just :allears:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
-The new Vampire Lord types are available in multiplayer and have their own set of abilities, e.g. the Carstein one can summon a Varghulf.
-When their ammo's above 80% (some? A lord ability?) VSea black powder units get some pretty massive buffs.
-Depth Guard are a 45 man unit on Large, rather than 18 on Ultra and have beastly stats.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So what are the vampirates actually bad at? They just facetanked some dwarves on stream.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think they've just had good matchups so far. VSea has very poor mobility, and like VC are vulnerable to lord sniping.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One Depth Guard got 322 kills, another over 200. :stonk:

E: Will say that Indy barely had any AP but still.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Depth Guard look pretty insane, just mowing through VC chaff and even Grave Guards efficiently. Harkon looks strong too, VCoast looking fun as hell.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mordja posted:

One Depth Guard got 322 kills, another over 200. :stonk:

And because of regen they still ended the match with full health.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Making smaller siege maps with fixed facings was one of the better ideas TWW1 had, despite all the endless sobbing and crying about how it removes options or makes sieges bland or whatever.

For sure. It's still one of the weakest parts.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cold-blooded no longer heals, it removes Rampage and buffs Leadership instead.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Well that is quite the nerf to Lizardmen.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Good game 3. Gorebulls look pretty scary now.

This entire thing being on the new patch with a new faction means it'll probably be pretty clowny, but Total Warham is fun even when being clowny imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Congratulations to Indypride for winning the first bracket. :toot:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

Oof, that's loving rough for Lizardmen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I enjoy the fact that this big tournament doesn't feature one of the top TWW players, Ninjahund, because he's completely unlikable.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Kanos posted:

Making smaller siege maps with fixed facings was one of the better ideas TWW1 had, despite all the endless sobbing and crying about how it removes options or makes sieges bland or whatever.

I respect where you come from, but i super disagree. The way it is now every siege plays out the same where you are forced to attack straight up the front with no room for any sort of tactic. It's always exactly the same and completely brainless.

With Shogun 2 for instance you could come from any angle, out maneuver the (retarded) AI, maybe sneak some ninjas in key positions and take some towers, do some hit and run, etc. And i at least thought it was a lot of fun with a decent amount of variation. Weather would play a part, the level of the castle would matter and change the map itself. Warhammer has such huge potential to take all of this poo poo to a extreme level with all the unique units and fantastic setting, but instead we get the single line smoosh wall that you rightclick on and then wait until it's over, maybe throw out a spell or two and i think it's a crying shame of a missed opportunity.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hell yes, someone brought in the Queen Bess, hop on Twitch now if you wanna see dat poo poo.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they used to look cool like this:

now they look stupid like this:

And don’t forget about

CHAOS.
DWARF.
BLUNDERBUSSES.

THIS WAY UP

If they’re not at least as stupid as the Shimazu Heavy Gunners, I’m demanding a refund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Nu1MiYSkA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dongattack posted:

With Shogun 2 for instance you could come from any angle, out maneuver the (retarded) AI, maybe sneak some ninjas in key positions and take some towers, do some hit and run, etc. And i at least thought it was a lot of fun with a decent amount of variation. Weather would play a part, the level of the castle would matter and change the map itself. Warhammer has such huge potential to take all of this poo poo to a extreme level with all the unique units and fantastic setting, but instead we get the single line smoosh wall that you rightclick on and then wait until it's over, maybe throw out a spell or two and i think it's a crying shame of a missed opportunity.

Yea old siege battles used to be the highlight of Total War for me. Watch one of those intense, hour long Pixelated Apollo multiplayer games where the attackers are coming from every angle, every stage of the city's defenses are used, and it all ends in a desperate final standoff in the city square. There are no WH videos like that.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Dwarves are maximum bullshit. Unbreakable loving shits

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lol, they turned off the blood DLC between rounds.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
DElves beat VC. An impressive match, a cool list from TGK, worth a watch if you get a chance.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mantis42 posted:

Yea old siege battles used to be the highlight of Total War for me. Watch one of those intense, hour long Pixelated Apollo multiplayer games where the attackers are coming from every angle, every stage of the city's defenses are used, and it all ends in a desperate final standoff in the city square. There are no WH videos like that.

There sort of were, early in the TW1 release cycle. And indypride occassionally makes siege-defence videos on custom maps or with mods. They're just not very interesting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One thing people forget about garrisons is that they save you money. While the garrison alone might not be enough to fight off a full stack, augmenting it with a small army is often enough.

Theres a lot more they could do with it though. Right now sieges are so linear that some races benefit and others suffer because sieges are so linear (for example I find it annoying how few archer units that Brettonian and Tomb Kings armies get).

Wood Elf, Norsca, and Greenskin could have much greater reinforcement range for their garrisons, which would let them actively support armies in the area. Fighting with the garrison support like this (when attacking) fills up greenskin Waagh meter much faster. Maybe greenskin garrison building allows them to occasionally spawn their own Waagh army from time to time,in exchange for emptying out the settlement for a while.

Skaven would get access to garrison units in the region if they performed an ambush or Underway interception,but their garrisons would be proportional to public order.

Directing slaves to particular regions would let Dark Elf settlements have bigger garrisons.

And so on.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

hahahahaha Noctilus' debut on stream was... something.

after much pre-game hype about Noctilus, and fawning over his Necrofex mount he was immediately gunned down by the Empire players' gun battery before the lines even met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Noctlis :dunkedon:

Like let’s be clear though, he got dunked on because he went with the giant monster and no artillery. The Empire had three fire/magic great cannons all next to each other.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 20, 2018