Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe they made Bullseye's origin even less realistic than his comic book one.

How can it be less realistic than "evil baseball player who has powers cause... Uh... I forgot that part?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

How can it be less realistic than "evil baseball player who has powers cause... Uh... I forgot that part?"

Interesting that Marvel has had (at least) two evil baseball players who throw things with impeccable accuracy. That's Boomerang's origin, too. Has ol' Fred Myers ever gone up against Bullseye?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm not sure what he's on about
They actually kept the evil pitcher thing, but only as a kid, he killed his coach with a ricocheted ball when the coach took him out to let another kid get some in game experience, then he joins the military and becomes a fed, because the military and law enforcement never attracts psychopaths he still has pretanatural good aim that they don't really explain, but that could just be a combo of his intense study and training.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm just starting episode 4 and it is slow going, but I'm into it. It feels like they're building to what would normally be a mid-season finale. Then we'll ramp up heading toward the big finale. So far they've done a great job making Not Bullseye Yet be a creepy fucker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm just starting episode 4 and it is slow going, but I'm into it. It feels like they're building to what would normally be a mid-season finale. Then we'll ramp up heading toward the big finale. So far they've done a great job making Not Bullseye Yet be a creepy fucker.

You're in for a treat.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Does it ever bother people who genuinely have OCD that a lot of fiction uses obsessive-compulsive mannerisms to tell audiences that we have a weirdo on our hands?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Plug has been pulled on Luke Cage

https://deadline.com/2018/10/luke-c...-uveWrMTtuAYItQ

I"m getting the feeling that they're being taken off Netflix to be moved to the Disney Streaming service.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

I"m getting the feeling that they're being taken off Netflix to be moved to the Disney Streaming service.

man that really sucks, Luke Cage was consistently good as hell

I know Disney is Disney and all but it's so weird they're not just trying to go balls deep into Netflix and work out some kinda partnership where they get all the Disney/Marvel/etc stuff and Disney just dumps money on them while shouting 'MAKE IT WORK' like usually they do with their acquisitions. Do they really think "Disney Netflix" is gonna be a massive winner?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

man that really sucks, Luke Cage was consistently good as hell

I know Disney is Disney and all but it's so weird they're not just trying to go balls deep into Netflix and work out some kinda partnership where they get all the Disney/Marvel/etc stuff and Disney just dumps money on them while shouting 'MAKE IT WORK' like usually they do with their acquisitions. Do they really think "Disney Netflix" is gonna be a massive winner?

Yeah, I think it’ll do pretty well. They have a really deep movie and TV catalog to pull from. Also, with the Fox acquisition, they can develop X-Men shows as well as what would be considered traditional Marvel fare. Having LucasFilm properties won’t hurt either.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Disney Netflix is gonna loving kill, yes.

So with Iron Fist and Luke Cage cancelled, seems odds are high for a Heroes for Hire show or Daughters of the Dragon to combine them.

Weird to cancel both shows when they set themselves up on hooks for the next season.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I think it’ll do pretty well. They have a really deep movie and TV catalog to pull from. Also, with the Fox acquisition, they can develop X-Men shows as well as what would be considered traditional Marvel fare. Having LucasFilm properties won’t hurt either.

yea I guess. I mean I'm a big dork for almost all the Disney poo poo so I'm gonna be a fuckin paypig for them already, I'm just unsure how long it'll last.

Then again it's Disney, they've kept absolute failures hobbling along for ages. I imagine 'we have to prop up our streaming service that's only doing fine' is far from the worst case scenario they have.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean they'll probably make a metric fuckton off of parents alone w/ the big Disney movies and Disney Channel catalogs.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Maybe Disney will pick it up on their streaming service but all I know is I'm not anteing up $10 more for another streaming service and this news has soured my viewing of Daredevil season three.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh the only thing in concerned about after hearing about that is if we're gonna get punisher s2 or not

I know its already finished filming and stuff but are we gonna see it, esp since if Disney is taking over we aren't gonna get s3 for sure

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

^^^
Netflix isn't going to squash a show they already paid for.

What's even weirder about the Luke Cage news is that the word in the press was that a third season was just waiting on the i's dotted and t's crossed on the contract. So for Netflix to out of nowhere say in second thought, nah makes me think there's more going on than just a referendum on Luke Cage. Like maybe Netflix is rethinking being in business with Marvel, or who knows I don't know enough to read tea leaves, obviously.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's not as many streaming services in Canada (seriously, you Yanks have what, 5 big ones and a bunch of smaller ones?) so i'll certainly sign up for Disney Netflix to suppliment Netflix.

Having access to all the Marvel and Star Wars stuff is enough for me. I'd hope old school Duck Tales would hold up too. Not to mention it will probably have Disney stuff from Touchstone and its other more "adult" studios. That's a lot of content not including all the Fox stuff that will probably be on there.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The lovely thing about Canada is I would 100% subscribe to CraveTV or whatever the gently caress the Bell streaming service that sucks up all the rights to anything cool is ... if only they would loving release a PS4 app already. I wanted to sub for Twin Peaks but I didn't want to bother schlepping my computer tower out to the nice TV every Sunday.

e: also luckily Netflix still has like all the Marvel movies and poo poo r/n in Canada, and will probably keep them if Disney's streaming service doesn't hit Canada, or at least until Disney releases some version of it here idk.

I wish we got HBO's streaming thing too ffs Bell suck my dick!!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm probably alone in this but I don't give a loving about a heroes for hire show; I wanted to see where they were going with Luke Cage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

esperterra posted:

The lovely thing about Canada is I would 100% subscribe to CraveTV or whatever the gently caress the Bell streaming service that sucks up all the rights to anything cool is ... if only they would loving release a PS4 app already. I wanted to sub for Twin Peaks but I didn't want to bother schlepping my computer tower out to the nice TV every Sunday.

e: also luckily Netflix still has like all the Marvel movies and poo poo r/n in Canada, and will probably keep them if Disney's streaming service doesn't hit Canada, or at least until Disney releases some version of it here idk.

I wish we got HBO's streaming thing too ffs Bell suck my dick!!

Wait... Canada doesn't have HBO Go?

I thought they were a first world nation?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

twistedmentat posted:

cancellation is Netflix’s decision, though. I suppose there’s a possibility that Disney is deliberately sabotaging its deal with Netflix so as to allow a move to the Disney service or Hulu, but I’m not sure there’s much precedent for that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

fwiw, Deadline updated their story with a bit more detail

quote:

This axing of Luke Cage came as a surprise. A writer’s room under showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker had been working for around six months producing scripts and taking notes from Netlfix and Marvel. As actors like lead Mike Colterremained under contract, a formal Season 3 order considered almost a foregone conclusion by all concerned.

After tensions the past month, it all went distinctly south in the last 48 hours.

The pink slipping of Luke Cage was ultimately a combo of the age old creative differences and the inability for the parties involved to reach a deal, according to sources. With a season perched on the conclusion of the June 22 launched Season 2 plotted out months and months ago, detailed drafts for the first half of the 10-episode projected third season were delivered to Marvel and Netflix this week.

We hear that some execs had issues with the more developed scripts, even though they strongly incorporated suggestions from both Netflix and Marvel brass.

Add to that, the writers’ room was put on hold for a week in September, as the streamer and the Disney-owned company were figuring out the mechanisms of changing the deal for the planned Luke Cage third season from the original 13-episodes to a slimmed down 10-episodes. It eventually escalated to behind-the-scenes turmoil in the past two days and demands for changes in creative reign. With Marvel and Netflix seemingly in intractable and different sides of the disputes, a harsh cancelation became the only viable exit strategy, it appears.

quote:

In another sense, the cancellation was a done deal as the situation became tense on the corporate level. The Marvel shows on Netflix are costly to make, even with New York’s generous tax credits. Back in 2013, the streamer paid top dollar for the series, that they don’t even own so cutting Luke Cage loose was a shift bottom line call.

At this point there is no plans for owner Marvel to resurrect Luke Cage on the upcoming Disney streaming service. But, being that the Simone Missick co-starrer crashed Netflix in its first season opening weekend in September 2016 and had a very well watched and well received 13-episode Season 2, it could be a Sweet Christmas, as Cage likes to quip.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait... Canada doesn't have HBO Go?

I thought they were a first world nation?

No point in having HBO streaming when Bell owns the rights to all of that and just puts it on Crave Or The Movie Network's streaming thing instead of doing an HBO Canada service.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

fwiw, Deadline updated their story with a bit more detail

Yeah I can see Marvel/Disney purposefully playing hardball with Netflix in order to bait out a cancellation. As for them picking up the shows, if they did, would they also get the rights to stream the previous seasons?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I can see Marvel/Disney purposefully playing hardball with Netflix in order to bait out a cancellation. As for them picking up the shows, if they did, would they also get the rights to stream the previous seasons?

Maybe, but nothing in the Deadline story particularly supports that interpretation. And highly unlikely, as far as I know.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It sounds like Netflix didn't want to keep paying to make it since they don't own it, and maybe were trying to renegotiate the costs since they were gonna cut the episodes down from 13 to 10. So they probably wanted to pay less and Marvel wanted the same amount. Combine that with people not liking the scripts and there it is.

It's surprising to say Marvel doesn't plan on bringing it back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

God drat it, I had a feeling this was gonna happen when they canned Iron Fist S3. It's only a matter of time until the rest of it is gone.

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure what he's on about
They actually kept the evil pitcher thing, but only as a kid, he killed his coach with a ricocheted ball when the coach took him out to let another kid get some in game experience, then he joins the military and becomes a fed, because the military and law enforcement never attracts psychopaths he still has pretanatural good aim that they don't really explain, but that could just be a combo of his intense study and training.

The fact that he had super-aim strong enough to kill a man with a baseball as a kid is definitely a step up in absurdity.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Interesting that Marvel has had (at least) two evil baseball players who throw things with impeccable accuracy. That's Boomerang's origin, too. Has ol' Fred Myers ever gone up against Bullseye?

In a way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

God drat it, I had a feeling this was gonna happen when they canned Iron Fist S3. It's only a matter of time until the rest of it is gone.

The fact that he had super-aim strong enough to kill a man with a baseball as a kid is definitely a step up in absurdity.

Ehh, you hit the temple it doesn't really need to be going fast. There's a reason they make kids wear helmets while playing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, you hit the temple it doesn't really need to be going fast. There's a reason they make kids wear helmets while playing.

It was a god drat ricochet shot!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
At least it wasn't a paper airplane.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Now I'm not sure if I'll watch DDS3 as it's future is uncertain, unless it has a definite ending.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Argh, I even own all of Superior Foes, but haven't read them in years, since they came out. I had forgotten all that, but it was all immediately familiar. Thank you!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Samuringa posted:

Now I'm not sure if I'll watch DDS3 as it's future is uncertain, unless it has a definite ending.

DD is almost definitely safe, barring the season somehow bombing in ratings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The Question IRL posted:

I honestly expect Netflix to announce that Jessica Jones will get a season 3. Everything else will be cancelled.

The wrong show got cancelled. (Proceeds to start an Axe fight like in Walk Hard: The Dewy Cox story.)

THE WRONG SHOW GOT CANCELLED!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

THE WRONG SHOW GOT CANCELLED!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

esperterra posted:

DD is almost definitely safe, barring the season somehow bombing in ratings.

People thought Luke Cage was definitely safe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't understand. If they have video of the attack at the Bulletin, shouldn't Nadeem be like "Hey....that's Poindexter." Surely he should recognize his voice? Somebody should?

And while the tears are flowing for episode 7 leave Melvin alone, drat it. The poor guy just can't catch a break :(

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 20, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Titans confuses me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Titans confuses me.

Okay, so there's Batman, right? He's a human but dresses like a bat and goes around the city at night punching people and he has several Bat-brand weapons that he carelessly uses on common muggers. Pictured That? Now gently caress him.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It was a god drat ricochet shot!

He can kill a man with a toothpick.