Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Water Closet Sewage Manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
White Collar Survival Music

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Combining an earlier idea, using the same logo

White Collar Sound Machine

fits the logo.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Now that's a simple and elegant solution, though I wonder if White Collar Dance Machine wouldn't work better in spite of the logo change if I really wanted to stick with the whole 'white collar' theme.

Dominating this thread workshopping name replacements is probably going beyond the purview of 'small questions' now though. I'd be happy to bounce some replacement names off folks in PM or something though- This whole thing has taught me the importance of testing names on 'not friends/family'

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 19, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wes Craven’s Scream Movie

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I love how OP is like “ok u can stop” but everyone is like “Who Can Stop Me?”

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Who Came So Much?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wel Come, Stranger! -Merchant

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

What are some audio editing programs besides GarageBand? I'm specifically looking for one where you can zoom in on the waveform (more than GarageBand allows) to be able to precisely cut preceding and trailing silence from short audio samples (0.1-5.0 seconds), bonus if it allows files to be shorter than 0.5 seconds

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

What are some audio editing programs besides GarageBand? I'm specifically looking for one where you can zoom in on the waveform (more than GarageBand allows) to be able to precisely cut preceding and trailing silence from short audio samples (0.1-5.0 seconds), bonus if it allows files to be shorter than 0.5 seconds

try this

https://www.audacityteam.org

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I heard there's a discord. I'm trying to learn the ukulele, can I come hang out? :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jazz Marimba posted:

If you're up for it you could use a command-line tool like ffmpeg or sox to basically trim the silence off of both ends. If you're doing this a lot it might be easier to have a 1-click solution, but it's obviously harder to get started with

there's a blog post here with some examples for one:
https://digitalcardboard.com/blog/2009/08/25/the-sox-of-silence/

I don't actually use any of this but I thought I'd mention it!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

If you're comfortable with garageband then the step up to Logic X is a sensible one, can do all the audio editing you need and you can zoom waaaaaay into the waveform and cut it right at the crossover point so there aren't any pops or clicks. Decently priced for a full DAW suite and you can get it even cheaper if you buy app store cards on sale.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Reaper's Dynamic Split function can probably be teased into auto trimming silence, probably in batch, kinda, I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, Reaper is available on macOS and free to try.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Seconding Logic as a good (non-free) choice, but I will say that while 95% of my time is spent in Logic, I do really like Adobe Audition for its sample editing, and I generally jump into that over using Logic's. The spectral repair brush alone is worth its weight in gold, imo.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Thanks for the recommendations y'all. Turns out I already had Audacity installed, so I messed with that for about 15 seconds before figuring out it does everything I need and is faster than Garageband :woop:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I kinda like the name but hate the logo. I don’t see the point of- picture of thing that’s referenced in the name.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I presume that was meant for me? I opted for the name change, and already changed most of my stuff over. Ironically, despite nobody complaining, the name change announcement got lots of very positive feedback from my friends and Facebook acquaintances. Seems some were shy about the fact they weren't liking/sharing stuff because of the name. :v:

Nonetheless, I am incorporating the old logo into the new one. Plan on commissioning a graphic designer friend to redo it before the album release.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That’s one of the funny things about soliciting criticism. Asking for it is kind of a skill I’m itself because no one likes to tell someone their poo poo sucks. Often I think you get better criticism if you frame it as X v Y option because then it’s a binary decision st least.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello everyone!

I'd like to play guitar and sing some Christmas songs this year for the family.

I have an ok vocal range, but its on the lower end.
I'd like to know if there's a resource or website or something that can tell me what key ill have to transpose a song, say jingle bell rock, to to keep it within my range.
Does such a thing exist or do I have to do all the legwork myself?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I suggest learning the songs in an easy key on guitar, like C major or G major.

If the melody takes you out of your vocal range, use a capo to easily transpose without needing to learn it in a different key.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Is SA-Mart a good way of selling an effects pedal? Haven't tried selling a physical item online before, and I was thinking of trying SA-Mart before resorting to eBay.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Symetrique posted:

Is SA-Mart a good way of selling an effects pedal? Haven't tried selling a physical item online before, and I was thinking of trying SA-Mart before resorting to eBay.

Reverb.com is worth a look.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
theres a gear trade thread too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Does anyone know a good app on Android for writing guitar tabs? I have all these breaks at work with nothing to do. I'm willing to spend $$$$ for a good one, especially one without ads that take up most of my screen space. Thanks y'all

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I remember someone here was a big proponent of the Peavey Windsor head, who was that, they did a really detailed review I'd like to read again.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Man I hope this is the right thread, if not could someone point me in the right direction.

I work at a gym doing mainly equipment and facilities maintenance. A couple of the aerobics instructions asked me to take a look at the sound system they have, as it's sounding broken as poo poo at times. I don't know much about sound systems but here's my best guess, and I need advice.

It's a fairly simple system it seems, 1 aerobics room w/ 4 Bose speakers mounted in the corners, the components are mounted in a rolling rack and plug into TS plugs in the wall that wired to each speaker. Near as I can tell the Amplifier component is all hosed up, one of the speaker outputs had something fall on it and its all broken, the volume knob is broken off and if you turn it, it outputs a lot of static. They're using the mixing knob to control the volume now.

The CD player works fine, as does the tape player (and gets used often by one instructor)

So mainly what I'm looking for is advice on a rack mountable amp that can take inputs from a CD player, Tape deck and a wireless headset, probably some mixing adjustment for the headset and that can output for 4 speakers.

From my searching, I can't find one that outputs with TS plugs like the one we have now, but it seems like they make barewire to TS cables? I'd like to be able to just plug it back into the wall and not rewire the entire room

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
This is the kind of amp you're looking for, use RCA to 1/8" adapters for the CD Player and tape. Just cut the TS jacks off, twist all 4 together, and wire them straight to the screws on the back.

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-135MA-...DE87Y2Y5MBP3VVF

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Since the iOS music thread is closed, anyone got some current suggestions for iOS instruments? I’m just looking to play around with drones and noise machines. Also something that could take my sounds and let me do live fuckery on them if possible.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i only use garage band op

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's the best way to ship a Telecaster from northern Colorado to Fort Worth? Naturally, I'd like to keep shipping as cheap as possible, including ~$300 insurance.

It'll be in a plush hard case and I have unlimited cardboard and packing supplies with which to package it. I'm envisioning creating a box that fits as closely as possible with a layer of bubble wrap and foam.
USPS, DHL, UPS, FedEx?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
if you have it in a case, that’s the most important thing for ensuring it doesn’t get owned in transit

i don’t have any special advice about shipping other than the case, you might try asking in the guitar thread, because lots of the posters there routinely ship instruments.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have a case already go to guitar center if you have one near by and ask if they have any boxes that the guitars come shipped in.
Then just slide the case into it and go to your nearest ups store.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks, bunch of answers between here and the guitar thread.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What do you guys see when you put this item into your cart: https://reverb.com/p/novation-launchkey-25-mkii

Because for me, it turns from a Launchkey 25 into a Launchkey Mini 25 which is... yeah not what I wanted. Luckily I caught it before putting payment in (it's a small thumbnail and the text isn't super obviously different), but not sure why that's happened. Not used Reverb.com before, but surprised it can break in such a weird way. Thought I was about to get a pretty decent deal for a second too.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

oh, weird, it changes for me too. i've never seen anything like that happen on reverb before

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
For the second app question on this page, is there a good app that will allow me to use an android device as a drum-pad styled midi controller? I don't care if it costs money. Every MIDI out app I can find for android is a control panel or a piano but I was hoping for something with big color coded squares.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i need to know more about the setup you have in mind. like, is the android doing all the work, or is it just providing input to a DAW running on a laptop?

for now, take a look at these, maybe one of them will be close to what you're trying to do

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071989-Apps-for-controlling-Live-with-an-iOS-or-Android-device

https://www.image-line.com/flstudiomobile/

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
I just needed a drum pad with midi out. I had tried touchdaw initially but the different control surface styles were hidden behind its pain in the rear end menu layout. Got what I needed, thanks boss.