Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Battle brothers has prepared me for real life nightmare demons If a zombie/skellington/demon starts rushing at me all I need to do is take a couple steps back so that by the time he's in front of me he has to wait until I strike him twice before he can hit me. And then I only have to endure about 6 strikes before he's too tired to strike again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
and just like real life you're an asthmatic bleeding drunkard

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

and just like real life you're an asthmatic bleeding drunkard

Clubfooted fat dastard

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
bloodthirsty chicken with quick reflexes here. I'll stand at the back with the 2H club, you guys rush the nightmare demon!

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I had never experienced a bug in this game besides small display bugs that went away after relaunching but right after you guys all posted about crashes my best run to date has become corrupted or something and now the game crashes every time I try to load the save.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Donkringel posted:

So new campaign! Retired my old legendary company.

I'm still going to finish and retire my current company for achievement reasons, I'm early in the third and final crisis for that. But man am I delighted the expansion isn't going to be 2019.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Things have gone well, I have two guys who ended up with high melee and ranged attack that I turned into pike/crossbowmen and I love the tactical flexibility. One even has solid melee defence so I can rotate him in when needed or cover my archers on a flank.

Got the greenskin crisis which is good fun, and it's turned into quite a struggle, as one of the few towns that has a weaponsmith is on the front lines of the crisis constantly under attack. Given that I only have one great sword and one great hammer, I'm desperately trying to keep the city alive so I can get enough heavy equipment to deal with the heavier orcs that are coming my way. Not sure if I'll pull it off, but at least the money's good.

Playing ironman veteran too. I understand the arguments against student, but I find given that I'll lose guys to mostly my own stupidity, I need to get new bros leveled up ASAP to fill in the ranks. Also a lot of my guys end up as shield bros because either I'm bad at picking out the correct guys or a lot of my guys stats have been pretty mediocre. Two good archers, two guys who I think have enough mdef, fatigue and mattack to become 2 handers, the rest are just okay. High fatigue guys get maces, I've got some swords on lower mattack guys, flails for the rest with one axe user if needed.

I also just haven't had the money to try a hedge knight or something else that's expensive and good (adventurous noble). Maybe I'm not being careful enough about how I spend my cash. I also did screw up and forget to loot a bandit leader fight where I carefully shanked him and got his armour, weapon (winged mace), and helmet. God that was a sad moment.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Got the greenskin crisis which is good fun, and it's turned into quite a struggle, as one of the few towns that has a weaponsmith is on the front lines of the crisis constantly under attack. Given that I only have one great sword and one great hammer, I'm desperately trying to keep the city alive so I can get enough heavy equipment to deal with the heavier orcs that are coming my way. Not sure if I'll pull it off, but at least the money's good.

If you have bro's with Fearsome in the last rank of talents, Daggers make Orc Warriors go crying to mama. Orcs have terrible morale, so don't try to push your way through a warriors ridiculous armor when you can just stab them twice and watch them fail at running away.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dreylad posted:

I also just haven't had the money to try a hedge knight or something else that's expensive and good (adventurous noble).

Adventurous nobles can start with as low as -10 in ranged defense if you're unlucky.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I finally got one of the remaining achievements. Unfortunately it was the one for having a bro desert. He was one of my best greatsword guys, too. He got greedy a while back after an event where I refused to give the company a raise, then I got another event where he came to me asking for a raise again, I told him no, and as a result he not only became extremely dissatisfied but also picked up the Disloyal trait. A few hours later he deserted. Fucker.

So I went hunting for a new greatsword bro and what do you know, like the second guy I recruited turned out to be a militiaman with good starting stats and two stars in each of melee attack, melee defence, and ranged defence. Not great starting fatigue but for talents like that I'll make it work.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So I am entering the Undead Scourge in my newest run. I just recently encountered an event where the spirit of Hoggart returns and his brother asks you to help. It ended with Hoggart being an okay guy and giving me his amazing 2 handed sword.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Ive reached the end of my current run. The problem is that the poor quality of all of my recruits has caught up to me and I cannot find any good recruits to replace them no matter where I go. It is insanely hard to find people with good defense.

Either way, I'm going to wait for the DLC on November 29th for the next run since I finally know when it will be.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah getting recruits past that initial level 1-5 hurdle is hard. Fuckers keep dying to a light breeze and orc warriors are not a light breeze.
I’m not at all happy with the skill choices I’ve made either. I have like colossus, student, pathfinder and rotation on p much everybody. Should have maybe skipped pathfinder but it’s such a good timesaver.

I don’t know why this run is so much harder for me except that I’m actually doing an iron man run for real. Do you generally buy better armor? I only have chain mail on day 50. But spending thousands of gold on hauberks doesn’t feel right either.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Don't ever buy hauberks, they're a trap option IMO. Going from easily farmed basic mail shirts etc. to hauberks costs ~1k gold for a relatively small upgrade, or you can spend 2k on a 210 armour reinforced mail hauberk which makes the guy wearing it nearly invincible for a good chunk of the midgame

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reinforced hauberks are basically the only equipment I will spend money on until my entire frontline is wearing them or better. Any armour worse than that you'll get from killing raiders, tier two or even three weapons you'll get from killing raiders and bandit leaders (and there isn't a huge difference between weapon tiers anyway), but you will not reliably get 200+ durability armour as loot and it's probably the single most important thing that makes a lategame company better than an early-game one.

For me the three stages of the game equipment-wise are:

early-game: trying to get a decent group of bros together, scavenging off bandit corpses for basically all gear

mid-game: buying 200+ armour for all my melee bros one at a time until they all have that

late-game: buying better armour (scale, plate) and rotating off the reinforced hauberks to other bros as I upgrade the frontliners' armour, buying tier 3 weapons for bros who haven't managed to score one off a dead bandit leader, doing some serious scavenging for uniques

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah. Hauberks fit well into the price curve of stores, but 110 or less armor is free with daggers and some guts.

How does it go for helmets, 150+ worth buying or should I hold out for nicer than that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
When I get a guy in scale i consider that guy basically invincible from then on.

I also stop fighting goblins.

No they're not linked at all why do you ask?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I’m mostly content with the 140 bandit helmets until I can kill some dudes if there is a noble war or buy 200+ if there is another crisis.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Yeah. Hauberks fit well into the price curve of stores, but 110 or less armor is free with daggers and some guts.

How does it go for helmets, 150+ worth buying or should I hold out for nicer than that.

I'd hold out for 200+ like you would with body armor.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

xthetenth posted:

If you are lucky and get noble war as your first crisis you will be swimming in chain mail kettle helmets which is 215 armor. Alternatively piss off a noble faction and then hunt their patrols.

As a side note, I wish the sashes from Sargents would drop as loot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I generally don't buy helmets under 200. The 140 durability helmets (don't remember the name right now) get dropped by bandit raiders all the time and there's no point buying a 150 or 160 durability helmet to replace a 140 imo. Bandit leaders are, again, a good source of 200+ helmets, but I'll still buy those because bandit leaders aren't a super quick source of armour for an entire company.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Helmets aren't that expensive either! I make do with really lovely ancient dead helmets in the early game up until I shank a few raiders, then its onto the leaders/actual weapons.

I remember looking at a guy with a pitchfork around day 60 and going "... what the gently caress" but he had crippling strikes on him so he was still doing what I originally got the dude for. Never gave it a second thought up until that point.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I'm still getting full system restarts after reinstalling and updating drivers. I don't think it's my videocard overheating because I don't run into any issues with other games, and crashes only happen when I'm on the world map. This game is so good but frustrating to have to reboot my machine all the time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, finding good archers on a map without a single forest settlement is pretty rough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Broken Cog posted:

Man, finding good archers on a map without a single forest settlement is pretty rough.

Don't hunters and witch hunters sometimes spawn in swamp settlements?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Don't hunters and witch hunters sometimes spawn in swamp settlements?

Witch hunters yeah, but the only place on this map I've seen hunters have been in the northern tundra settlements.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Jesus. Can rare armor really be worse then regular?

I have one that has 123 armor and -13 fatigue. That is worse then just regular chain mail.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Affi posted:

Jesus. Can rare armor really be worse then regular?

I have one that has 123 armor and -13 fatigue. That is worse then just regular chain mail.

But does it look good? That's the important attribute after all, and can be worth wearing even if it has heavy penalties in other areas!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

What sort of company should I build towards if I'm looking to specifically deal with the undead crisis? I'm guessing lots of axes?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I went melee heavy with 8 front-line brothers and 4 polearm/ranged bros, and didn't have much trouble with the undead crisis as my first,

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ShootaBoy posted:

What sort of company should I build towards if I'm looking to specifically deal with the undead crisis? I'm guessing lots of axes?

Loads of greatswords are the answer to all your problems.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Definitely greatswords. Train up one archer you can use to snipe necromancers, then as many greatswords as you can find good 2-hander bros, and get your tanks using axes and maces for breaking shieldwalls (with axes or stuns) and stunning necrosavants. One or two cleaver bros for beheading zombies and bleeding necrosavants is also good.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Eh, I buy hauberks because I learned how to knife effectively very late in my career. I usually make enough not to worry about it, and besides, not all my bro can effectively wear reinforced hauberks because of build or insufficient fatigue.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I maintain you should have 5 back row guys with crossbows at all times.

It's far easier to play the game if they're charging you all the time. You can use quick hands to swap the crossbows out to weapons they're actually good at using when the enemy is too close to break away.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I skipped the first appoint-a-sergeant ambition because I didn't have a great team at the time. Now the ambition doesn't show up anymore... Will I get a second chance?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you don't have the sash you should get another chance at some point

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The ambition system has these weird quirks. I'm always slightly disappointed if I forget, and I solve a quest in the starting town too quickly, and the "friendly town" ambition doesn't show up anymore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dogstile posted:

If you don't have the sash you should get another chance at some point

Yeah, i'm pretty sure you can game that unless they've fixed it. At one point I managed to get two Banners by selling my banner right before completing an ambition, instantly completing the "buy a banner" ambition again because I had enough cash on hand, then buying my old banner back again.

Unfortunately the resolve bonuses didn't stack but it did make it easier to cover my whole line and, hell, double banner pimpin'

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

double banner pimpin'

that's pretty deece :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if you know an ambition request is coming up you can game it by saving/selling.

You can do the same with the Davkul stuff. If you have a high level cultist and you get an event pop at night (and you were lucky enough to quicksave beforehand) you can just reload the save until the "right" event pops.