Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not debating MonsterEnvy's specific numbers at all, but just to keep the design discussion going, a Champion's damage would have be a A LOT stronger than the baseline, to make up for the fact that you can't control where it goes/when it happens, to account for overkill, to account for the low number of swings per combat, and to account for how people might or might not obey encounter pacing rules.

Basically, even if the Champion theoretically dealt more "average damage", it's still likely to be behind in practical terms from the Battlemaster getting more Short Rests than they should, from critting things that were going to die anyway, and from not being able to swing often enough for an average to really form.

You would almost have to set it to a level that feels intuitively too high to be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

...a Champion's damage would have be a A LOT stronger than the baseline, to make up for the fact that you can't control where it goes/when it happens, to account for overkill, to account for the low number of swings per combat, and to account for how people might or might not obey encounter pacing rules.

You would almost have to set it to a level that feels intuitively too high to be right.

This is what I was working towards, with a focus on the "consistent" thing. The first-glance makes-sense damage numbers are way too low, and the miss chances way too high, and the average combat way too short for Champion-type abilities to ever do "consistently" higher damage without the actual damage numbers looking crazy high.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The Champion’s improved critical hit range goes well with the Half-Orc’s Savage Attacks feature as well as the bonus attack from the Great Weapon Master feat. And it’s “always on” not just 4 times per short rest. Personally I prefer the tactical choices of BM but Champion is a great choice if you don’t want to think too much.

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 20, 2018

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
No no it isn't. The Champion is terrible at what it is supposed to do. I have played Champions before and I have pretty much never had the expanded crit range actually matter. I either roll a 20 or roll 18 or below. At least on attack rolls with a Champion. But even if I did roll 19s more often it wouldn't matter. The Champion would be better on a class like Rogue or Paladin that get extra damage dice, or the Barbarian which gets at will Advantage as early as 2nd level and eventually adds extra damage dice on a Crit.

Yes getting 4 attacks, eventually, increases the odds of rolling a single crit in a round. The other classes would still benefit from Champion more.

Now the Brute? That actually did a decent job of what the Champion was supposed to be, was it great? No, but it was better than Champion and much closer to the Battle Master numbers. That said it doesn't sound like we are going to get an official version of Brute, and instead are more likely to get the exact opposite, a daily based fighter archetype.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Brute was unfortunately the victim of a Champion-type needing so much better numbers that it's going to look and sound wildly overpowered to anyone who's not taking a close look at the design

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

The Champion would be better on a class like Rogue or Paladin that get extra damage dice, or the Barbarian which gets at will Advantage as early as 2nd level and eventually adds extra damage dice on a Crit.
Just gift Xanathar's Guide to your gm and ask for an adamantine weapon. Even a 1 damage adamantine toothpick with the finesse trait should turn your rogue into a melee monster.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 20, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Adamantine only gives critical hits against objects, not creatures.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Champion (and Brute and whatever) are interesting rhetorical devices/measuring sticks but never should have been included in the game and are not worth salvaging. If the Champion actually did good enough damage that it was tempting to play one for damage optimization purposes that would probably be worse than the situation we have now.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I don't know why the Champion needs to exist. It's the same autoattack fighter that has literally never worked in any edition of D&D, it's boring to play, and it's obviously the noob trap fighter for people who think that tracking superiority dice is too hard or something. It seems to be a callback to those early articles about opt-in complexity that never materialized because it's difficult and rulings not rules.

There is no good way to balance bigger numbers against abilities really, either your numbers are big enough that the abilities are garbage or having the abilities makes you better enough that numbers are a suckers game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't know why the Champion needs to exist. It's the same autoattack fighter that has literally never worked in any edition of D&D, it's boring to play, and it's obviously the noob trap fighter for people who think that tracking superiority dice is too hard or something. It seems to be a callback to those early articles about opt-in complexity that never materialized because it's difficult and rulings not rules.

There is no good way to balance bigger numbers against abilities really, either your numbers are big enough that the abilities are garbage or having the abilities makes you better enough that numbers are a suckers game.

An honest to god literal outgrowth of the "There needs to be a class your little brother can play" thing. Which is a trope that somehow exists only around D&D. Even the other big old dinosaur games never bother with this one, because they rightly recognized it as some weirdly phrased narcissism from old grogs. You never see the "Punches and punches alone man" in Shadowrun. I mean, you can build one, but you have to know how to use all the tools everyone else is using to do it.

It's probably also got a touch of Mearls being regressive about old school fighters in it. Would certainly fit the progression from Essentials.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've played games with people where they 100% didn't really get things like character creation, the math behind characters, or remember anything about their character sheet.

They would, on their own, usually find some way of either being extremely creative in combat, or narrow down what they did to 1 or 2 extremely simple decisions. They didn't play optimally, but really didn't do worse than if they used a Simple Character. And, if you're pretty good at making Good Characters, all you really need to do is support them and cheer like hell when they succeed.

Give'm a paladin, make sure they understand smite, go nuts in game when they get a crit, tell NPCs that this guy is super badass. Everyone has a good time!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

nelson posted:

The Champion’s improved critical hit range goes well with the Half-Orc’s Savage Attacks feature as well as the bonus attack from the Great Weapon Master feat. And it’s “always on” not just 4 times per short rest. Personally I prefer the tactical choices of BM but Champion is a great choice if you don’t want to think too much.

Barbarian does it better. Champion's niche is, at most, a 3-level dip for other classes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only way I can think of to have two different melee flavors of the same class is to give the battlemaster and champion identical abilities but have the champion just get a flat +1 damage/level to each attack, and the battlemaster get +1 to hit on each maneuever

And even that would have absolutely horrible balancing issues. Trying to balance such a tiny niche while also being a balanced member of a group is really tough. Why would you want to be super good vs mooks when a fireball can clear them with ease, especially when your alternative is being able to burst down a boss in two rounds by yourself?

Edit: greatevilkings second paragraph hits this exact same point

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 20, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A "Not think too much" class is in itself, not an issue, but it's also real bad at what it actually doing damage and killing things. A battlemaster outdamages a champion easily, and their "Jack of all trades, but bad" ability is just :rolleyes:

The other problem is there's no way to elegantly segue out of not thinking too much. The warlock is a great not think too much class. Grab a familiar, grab Agonizing Blast, take some generic spells (that scale automatically! No thinking about it!), just roll to attack every turn. But later when you get a better handle on things you can start swapping out for fiddlier invocations that do more interesting things. Do weirder stuff with your familiar. Grab more exotic spells. Or you can just keep rolling EB every turn, it's all good.

If you're a champion fighter and decide hey, I'd like to maybe participate in the rest of the game, well, tough poo poo. You either completely rebuild your character or suck it up as Mr Combat (but boring and bad at it) forever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

The only way I can think of to have two different melee flavors of the same class is to give the battlemaster and champion identical abilities but have the champion just get a flat +1 damage/level to each attack, and the battlemaster get +1 to hit on each maneuever

And even that would have absolutely horrible balancing issues. Trying to balance such a tiny niche while also being a balanced member of a group is really tough. Why would you want to be super good vs mooks when a fireball can clear them with ease, especially when your alternative is being able to burst down a boss in two rounds by yourself?

Edit: greatevilkings second paragraph hits this exact same point
Give them both maneuvers, but give them different maneuver lists and built in maneuvers. Champion and only Champion gets Precise Strike. Battlemaster gets an actually good version of Commanders Strike. Eldritch Knight gets to crunch maneuver dice into spell slots and vice versa.

Give them different out of combat benefits. The lantern-jawed Champion gets +cha to damage and hp and gets training in two social skills. The grizzled old Battlemaster gets +wis to damage and two bonus wisdom skills. The learned Eldritch Knight gets +int to damage and initiative and training in Arcana +one other Int skill. Also unfuck ability scores so putting points into these is actually possible.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Splicer posted:

Give them both maneuvers, but give them different maneuver lists and built in maneuvers. Champion and only Champion gets Precise Strike. Battlemaster gets an actually good version of Commanders Strike. Eldritch Knight gets to crunch maneuver dice into spell slots and vice versa.

Give them different out of combat benefits. The lantern-jawed Champion gets +cha to damage and hp and gets training in two social skills. The grizzled old Battlemaster gets +wis to damage and two bonus wisdom skills. The learned Eldritch Knight gets +int to damage and initiative and training in Arcana +one other Int skill. Also unfuck ability scores so putting points into these is actually possible.

Ability scores are fine, I don't know what you're complaining about!

*only plays Half-elf Charisma-based classes*

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Splicer posted:

:hmmyes: That's the good stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the funny thing is that the whole "simple class to play" arguably didn't quite exist before: even if you were playing a 3e Fighter, you still had to figure out things like avoiding trap options, taking Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Robilar's Gambit, maybe begging your DM to give you access to Pounce, and picking the right items.

And sure, that all just boils down to letting you hit like a mack truck, but you still needed some level of system mastery to get there

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Does danger sense literally allow a barbarian to sense danger or is it purely something that affects saving throws? Because I DM'd my first session recently and there's 2 barbarians in the party who are basically using it as a spidey sense at all times. It's making it a little annoying to set up encounters because they both just ask "do I sense danger" literally every time they walk into a new area.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Does danger sense literally allow a barbarian to sense danger or is it purely something that affects saving throws? Because I DM'd my first session recently and there's 2 barbarians in the party who are basically using it as a spidey sense at all times. It's making it a little annoying to set up encounters because they both just ask "do I sense danger" literally every time they walk into a new area.

It's just for saving throws.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

By the rules, it only applies to things that cause a Dexterity Saving Throw, and only if the character can see (or is aware of? I forget the exact rule) the cause of the saving throw.

Spidey Sense, explicitly, is not part of it.

Edit: Sensing Danger the way those players want to would be a Perception roll, if anything.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the funny thing is that the whole "simple class to play" arguably didn't quite exist before: even if you were playing a 3e Fighter, you still had to figure out things like avoiding trap options, taking Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Robilar's Gambit, maybe begging your DM to give you access to Pounce, and picking the right items.

And sure, that all just boils down to letting you hit like a mack truck, but you still needed some level of system mastery to get there

Go back to AD&D and Fighter makes basically no choices whatsoever, and I think that's what Mearls thinks fondly of. There weren't even kits or dart specialization. You just used whatever weapon was the most magical and rolled a D20. Plus all that stuff you're saying here about 3.5 charop was never intended by the designers. I mean, 3.x is still an era where the designers thought strength was the most heavily weighted stat so the half-orc had to take two penalty stats to get it. Players learning to cobble together little jenga towers of magazine feats to stay competitive was just hobos figuring out how to make mulligan stew.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

You didn't mention resources, but if you were to extend the scenario out over the BM's refresh, how does that work out? In short, when you're talking about burst vs consistent, who does more damage in total over a short rest? Over a long rest?

Also, could you please learn the difference between then and than? It makes your posts much harder to read than they could be.

Sorry about that. I just assumed you would know there would be resources. Because if there is not, there there is not reason not to burst at all times.

Will try to fix the than and then thing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

/when it happens, to account for overkill.

For this I would like it if the Champion had a stronger version of the cleave rules from the DMG always on. Which is pretty much that if you kill something any leftover damage goes into a nearby enemy, if the attack would have hit them. The DMG version is limited by the fact, that both the target of the initial attack and whoever you cleave into, have to be undamaged.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 20, 2018

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Toshimo posted:

It's just for saving throws.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

By the rules, it only applies to things that cause a Dexterity Saving Throw, and only if the character can see (or is aware of? I forget the exact rule) the cause of the saving throw.

Spidey Sense, explicitly, is not part of it.

Edit: Sensing Danger the way those players want to would be a Perception roll, if anything.

Well then I won't feel bad when I clamp down on this for our next session. It really killed any tension or mystery I was trying to create. Both of them have been playing D&D a lot longer than I have so I just kinda took their word for it.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

theironjef posted:

An honest to god literal outgrowth of the "There needs to be a class your little brother can play" thing. Which is a trope that somehow exists only around D&D. Even the other big old dinosaur games never bother with this one, because they rightly recognized it as some weirdly phrased narcissism from old grogs. You never see the "Punches and punches alone man" in Shadowrun. I mean, you can build one, but you have to know how to use all the tools everyone else is using to do it.

It's probably also got a touch of Mearls being regressive about old school fighters in it. Would certainly fit the progression from Essentials.

The "Little Brother" argument also falls apart pretty quickly because, in my mind at least, if you're building a class designed to ease inexperienced players into the game that same class should probably get more mechanically complex as they level up and progress through the game. Having a character whose only option for the entirety of their career is "I attack" isn't easy your hypothetical little brother into the game, it's giving Little Timmy a rubber ball and telling him to go bounce it in the corner while the big kids do things.

Beyond that, if you take away the Champion, 5e already has another class with a low baseline of mechanically complex: It's called The Barbarian*. The only difference is that they have the one extra option of "I go into a rage" and I somehow don't think Little Timmy's little brain is going to be overloaded if you also introduce that mechanic to him.

* - Fix Berserkers, Crawford!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The HP numbers in 5th ed are too "small" overall, particularly in early combats for a mechanic I wish was in more games to be A Thing for Champ fighters.

"If you hit a monster but don't quite kill them, gently caress it they only have *STR MOD* HP left, they still die." But this would make you a loving monster in low level and then essentially never happen ever again once the campaign gets rolling.

But I do know that overall I am incredibly :sigh: any time I'm playing a tabletop or video game, and your big attacks merely almost but not quite kill poo poo. "Let's action surge and flatten this prone ogre with a maul 4 times... Oh he's got 4 HP left" "Aw yeah, double tap to the dome with a sniper rifle-oh the slightly above trash enemy still has a sliver of health left." "Eat leaping demon axe, rear end in a top hat-oh the beast skeleton had a sliver of health". Even if a follow up attack to finish the job is a guaranteed safe bet, that still gets old.

That new Fist of the North star game on that note will just give you "Eh, close enough" if you do a secret technique. Right as Kenshiro is shouting his attack name it turns out random mowhawk dude still has 1/20th of a health bar. The game just says "Eh, close enough" and they die unless you're fighting stuff notably above your level trash or properly tough enemies.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 20, 2018

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm reading the Eberron magic items UA, and the optional two-handed arcane focus rule for cantrips made me think. If I grab Eldritch blast, increase the range to 300 ft. with eldrich spear and use a two-handed staff, would that give EB an effective range of 450 ft.?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm reading the Eberron magic items UA, and the optional two-handed arcane focus rule for cantrips made me think. If I grab Eldritch blast, increase the range to 300 ft. with eldrich spear and use a two-handed staff, would that give EB an effective range of 450 ft.?

Probably, though "effective" is a misnomer for that kind of range in this game.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably, though "effective" is a misnomer for that kind of range in this game.

According to the PHB, EB doesn't have the same long range disadvantage as a normal ranged weapon. It still has to deal with half & 3/4th cover, unless you add the Spell sniper feat, which also doubles the range of all spells with an attack roll. This would give EB a 900 ft. range.
Multiclass in to a SorLock and you can use the Distant spell metamagic and double that range to 1800 ft.

This is just a weird, little thought experiment, I know that any sane DM wouldn't allow a warlock to spell snipe from a quarter mile away with no disadvantages.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

According to the PHB, EB doesn't have the same long range disadvantage as a normal ranged weapon. It still has to deal with half & 3/4th cover, unless you add the Spell sniper feat, which also doubles the range of all spells with an attack roll. This would give EB a 900 ft. range.
Multiclass in to a SorLock and you can use the Distant spell metamagic and double that range to 1800 ft.

This is just a weird, little thought experiment, I know that any sane DM wouldn't allow a warlock to spell snipe from a quarter mile away with no disadvantages.

Well one reason it would not work is that you normally have to see your target.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Oh yeah. It's cool, in theory, to have an 1800' range on an attack. It's just not something that will ever matter in game more than maybe a couple times.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sorry about that. I just assumed you would know there would be resources. Because if there is not, there there is not reason not to burst at all times.

There are more ways to include burst damage than to make it cost resources.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

AlphaDog posted:

There are more ways to include burst damage than to make it cost resources.

I mean, implicitly, it kind of does, because if your burst damage is available all the time, then it's not burst and just damage; burst implies it's somehow greater than your personal "baseline" damage, however you want to define that. The only exception I can think of is crits, but I'm not sure if that's something you should take into account as a part of your typical baseline performance.

Honestly, I don't think it's unreasonable to just forget that Champion exists as an archetype and give its abilities to every fighter for free.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Potential sources of burst damage:

-Whenever a creature (friend or enemy) within 5' of the Fighter is bloodied, the Fighter can make a free attack.

-Whenever the Fighter kills an enemy, they can move up to half their speed and make a free attack against a creature.

-Whenever the Fighter provokes an opportunity attack for moving out of a threatened square, the Fighter can perform an attack against that creature as a free action.

-Whenever the Fighter makes an attack against a creature within 5', they can make it with Disadvantage. If they do, another ally within 5' can make a free melee attack against that same creature with Advantage.

I'm not a game designer by any means but these seem like the type of thing a Champion would do in combat; not as nuanced or tactical as the Battlemaster but leads to extra damage without spending resources.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lightrook posted:

Honestly, I don't think it's unreasonable to just forget that Champion exists as an archetype and give its abilities to every fighter for free.

It's not super elegant but I could see that working, I was thinking of giving this a try in an upcoming game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

-Whenever the Fighter kills an enemy, they can move up to half their speed and make a free attack against a creature.

-Whenever the Fighter makes an attack against a creature within 5', they can make it with Disadvantage. If they do, another ally within 5' can make a free melee attack against that same creature with Advantage.

On those two abilities. The first is actually kind of in the game already, as an ability granted by Great Weapon Master. Though it costs a bonus action instead.

The second ability I would imagine more as a Battlemaster or Baneret ability. As the image of Champion I have is more self reliant and focused on themselves in combat. Rather then giving their allies extra attacks and such.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

On those two abilities. The first is actually kind of in the game already, as an ability granted by Great Weapon Master. Though it costs a bonus action instead.

The second ability I would imagine more as a Battlemaster or Baneret ability. As the image of Champion I have is more self reliant and focused on themselves in combat. Rather then giving their allies extra attacks and such.
The point being made is that there's more ways to do burst damage than spend resources.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Trying to balance burst damage vs. average damage is dumb, because the burst damagers will just use all of their resources and then insist on resting, while the average damagers end up being worse, except for the few times that rests get interrupted and the resource-depleted characters get to groan through a meatgrinder encounter with no useful abilities.

Champion vs. Battlemaster should be Bigger Numbers (Champion) vs. Normal Numbers plus Special Effects (Battlemaster). The fact that the superiority dice end up turning the special effects into burst damage is the bad design, on top of the superiority dice being too far between. If the Champion's niche is going all day, he should have higher AC, better saves, more HP/free healing, hit more, and do more at-will damage than the characters who have short rest/long rest resources that will do more than the Champion's at-wills. Then it's actually a meaningful choice in the party's ability balance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Infinite Karma posted:

Trying to balance burst damage vs. average damage is dumb, because the burst damagers will just use all of their resources and then insist on resting, while the average damagers end up being worse, except for the few times that rests get interrupted and the resource-depleted characters get to groan through a meatgrinder encounter with no useful abilities.
The solution here is to define skills as being useable per number of encounters, not per rest.

I used to do this when I ran 4e, because constant rests made no sense for the story. I think I also tried per session, which is nice if you want your players to use abilities more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

lightrook posted:

I mean, implicitly, it kind of does, because if your burst damage is available all the time, then it's not burst and just damage; burst implies it's somehow greater than your personal "baseline" damage, however you want to define that. The only exception I can think of is crits, but I'm not sure if that's something you should take into account as a part of your typical baseline performance.

The very simplest example of an ability that switches you from consistent to bursty without using resources is one that trades +hit for +damage.

Another would be trading +hit for +critrange.

Then there are things that consume no resources but require a setup. Sneak Attack is one example.

There's a bunch of stuff you can do with situational and positioning triggers too (eg, "when you become bloodied...").

Then there's weirdo crap like "You take a -1 to hit, and an additional -1 to hit each round. When you do hit, calculate your damage X times where X is the number of times you missed before hitting" you could write if you wanted to.