Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

lol but seriously I posted:

spin dash was a mistake

This made me unreasonably angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

I hate to piss in your corner flakes but the token lesbian plot wasn't the reason people gave it bad reviews lol

Lol it got generally great reviews wtf are you on about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spin Dash is bad, Drop Dash is incredible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Gone Home for me at least was like being in the mood for a good steak diner, so you hear about a new steak place in town that everyone is talking about and when you get there they place in front of you a perfectly cooked steak that looks and smell delicious and you can't wait to eat it.

But then as soon as you cut into it something feels off, and then once you take the first bite you realize that it is not in fact a real steak, but tofu done up to seem like a steak.

Once the meal is over, you have to admit that it was probably the best tasting tofu you've ever eaten, but you still feel dissatisfied because what you really wanted was beef.

Then you get the bill and realize you paid full steak price for a fake out and that's when you get pissed off.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 20, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's no game to it and the story itself is weak as gently caress. Nothing needs to be said. Unless you can relate to struggles eith coming out, and not every lgbtq out there can, i can't, you're left with a lame story hidden behind a wonky tech demo priced like it's actual entertainment.

Gone home sucks.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

EvilGenius posted:

This made me unreasonably angry.

imagine if you had to puzzle out how to build up enough momentum to get out of certain situations. imagine if sonic hedgehog was actually a game

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Gone home and Stanley parable were good, but it wasn't until Edith Finch and Firewatch when the genre really started to come together.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I like how Gone Home really has nothing political about it, but happens to revolve around a lesbian and it was enough to really piss gamers off.

How could somebody be critical of somebody who charges money for a tour of an average American suburban home? I just don't understand

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gone Home wasn’t anything mind blowing. It was a short, nicely paced little story that was generally entertaining and well made. Maybe reviewers propped it up too much. Not the game’s fault.

I do know one thing though. People that flip out about how “bad” it is are pretty much always gigantic chuds.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Barudak posted:

Spin Dash is bad, Drop Dash is incredible.

Drop dash and Ray the Squirrel are the best things to happen to Sonic since Lock-On technology.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sardonik posted:

Gone home and Stanley parable were good, but it wasn't until Edith Finch and Firewatch when the genre really started to come together.

Speaking of Firewatch I'ma really need these lovely walking simulators to stop pretending they're games in the trailer. They showed that poo poo at E3 like "oooh mystery in a national park far from civilization, cut off from help, girls have gone missing, can you survive and find them?" And instead you get "Walk here while listening to narrative. All done? Walk here while listening to narrative. Okay roll credits thanks for playing our book."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

veni veni veni posted:

Lol it got generally great reviews wtf are you on about.

So did this. What's your point?
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Speaking of Firewatch I'ma really need these lovely walking simulators to stop pretending they're games in the trailer. They showed that poo poo at E3 like "oooh mystery in a national park far from civilization, cut off from help, girls have gone missing, can you survive and find them?" And instead you get "Walk here while listening to narrative. All done? Walk here while listening to narrative. Okay roll credits thanks for playing our book."

if you couldn't tell that game was going to be a walking simulator that's on you lol

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lunchabully posted:

the Bullgut remains the most satisfying rocket launcher I've ever used in a game

rocket launcher scattergun :hellyeah: and red riot is the craziest best bfg ever

steinrokkan posted:

How could somebody be critical of somebody who charges money for a tour of an average American suburban home? I just don't understand

it was cool to me bcause I'm neither american nor suburban. I really liked the subtle and sympathetic B plot about the failed writer dad. it's odd that no gamers commented on his touching failson redemption arc, no wait it's not odd at all

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Responding to the dude who said it got bad reviews? Which is objectively dead wrong. game reviews are loving pointless but it did not get bad reviews.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 20, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The fact that da2 got that critic rating is nuts lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

ok a list of indy games that are a new genre off the top of my head:

Minecraft
Gone Home
Don't Starve
FTL
The Stanley Parable
Cogmind
Dwarf Fortress
Prison Architect
Friday the 13th: The Game
No Mans Sky
The Long Dark
Empyrion galactic survival
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Subnautica
Papers Please
The Curious Expedition
Terraria
Rogue Legacy

Gonna add to this because I've been playing video games for almost 30 years and there's never been a better era for innovation and experimentation than the current one.

Her Story
Slay the Spire
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Oxenfree
Antichamber
The Swapper
Book of Demons

That last one really only has one innovative feature but it's a genius one. It learns the pace you play at and then will dynamically create quests for you that will last for however long you set it for. So if you only have 30 minutes to play it will make sure you have a complete experience with mini bosses and a final boss that should wrap up right when you need it to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Click to move is garbage and belongs in the landfill of gaming ideas next to non-maintainable auto lockon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's extremely good and cool that indie games are so accessible for people to make and release, as AAA games have hit the point where they are completely unwilling to break the status quo due to fear of lost sales. It's basically the only way we will see innovation in games in general, because AAA games will just rip off the concepts that work from indie games.

It's also dumb to talk about indie games like it's a genre.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

Gonna add to this because I've been playing video games for almost 30 years and there's never been a better era for innovation and experimentation than the current one.

Her Story
Slay the Spire
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Oxenfree
Antichamber
The Swapper
Book of Demons

That last one really only has one innovative feature but it's a genius one. It learns the pace you play at and then will dynamically create quests for you that will last for however long you set it for. So if you only have 30 minutes to play it will make sure you have a complete experience with mini bosses and a final boss that should wrap up right when you need it to.

i remembered another one: Little Inferno. no one can tell me thats not a new unique genre! the "burning things correctly" genre?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It's extremely good and cool that indie games are so accessible for people to make and release, as AAA games have hit the point where they are completely unwilling to break the status quo due to fear of lost sales. It's basically the only way we will see innovation in games in general, because AAA games will just rip off the concepts that work from indie games.

Endless pixel art games = innovation.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gone home is a neat little experiment in telling a story in the medium of someone wandering round in a first person video game. It was too expensive at launch (like even a blind playthrough takes two hours max).

Though gamers getting offended by poo poo they literally made up to offend themselves with is always really loving funny so I don't regret paying full price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I really hated how in Gone Home that one character looked into the camera and said "ANTIFA IS GOOD"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Controversial opinion: it's okay for games platforms to be curated so that you don't get complete poo poo on them

This came out on PS4 the other day.
Desert Racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_A45LCE4r8

Still, it's better than Steam. Not that that's a high bar or anything.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

I really hated how in Gone Home that one character looked into the camera and said "ANTIFA IS GOOD"

I hated how the EULA made you have a mandatory gay marriage if you completed it

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I would play the gently caress out an oregon trail ftl mod

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrRoMa posted:

I would play the gently caress out an oregon trail ftl mod

just play oregon trail?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Endless pixel art games = innovation.

drat wow good point. they’re all just freakin pixel art. every one

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Maybe there's one that isn't pixelart. But it also sucks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Subnautica is just one of a crop of many generic survival games, but with a gimmick that makes it aggressively unpleasant to play. And the marine environments aren't nearly varied enough to counterweight the oppressive tedium of the game's systems.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Everything about the big submarine is a chore in that game. It had some cool stuff going for it but there wasn't enough to actually explore and find.

Oh, and the vast nothingness of death. There's even an in-game snippet that tells you that on the entire planet the area you landed in is the only place where there's any actual life. Pretty convenient for the developers, I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly can't remember the last Indie game I played that used pixel art. Dead Cells I guess but even that is 3D models meant to mimic pixel art. Claiming every indie game is pixel art is such a stupid hill to die on.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

I hate to piss in your corner flakes but the token lesbian plot wasn't the reason people gave it bad reviews lol

It is however what sa posters want to believe.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

Also we cut the ending because we simply could not be assed to do any more character modelling.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought Firewatch was actually kinda entertaining... would buy it for about $3

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Unpopular game opinions?

Rainbow Six Siege isn't a Rainbow Six game and it's incredibly frustrating that it's so popular.

I saw someone up there posted "Don't Starve". I know absolutely nothing about this game other than when I see screen shots or ads for it the "steampunk invader zim" art style makes me irrationally very angry and I refuse to play it.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 20, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Good on you, it's a bad game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Don't Starve is an ok game but I don't like the art style at all. it was hard for me to get into it because of that. It's also way too drat time consuming for anything I'd realistically get into.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean, what is there to get into? In Minecraft at least you can build things. Meanwhile there is nothing really interesting in Don't Starve except collecting resources for the sake of collecting more resources in the future. I don't understand survival games that offer you nothing beyond just surviving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The best survival game is Stranded II