Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Motronic posted:

I wrecked my car without insurance, what should I do next?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9pv9pv/i_wrecked_my_car_without_insurance_what_should_i/

This is just sad in so many ways.

I mean, wow.

Do they not have lotto in Alabama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

it's a doozy and the only reason they pulled it off for as long as they did was that their retail bank had a goddamn idiot for a branch manager, who kept loving lying to the AML people because she didn't want to lose this massive (ly fake and fraudulent) business.

Do you have a link to the DoJ indictment? Everything is locked right now.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
-Doesn't have money for car payment/insurance

-Traveling out of state to buy lottery tickets

Watch this rear end in a top hat end up being the person to win a billion dollars in Powerball :shepicide:

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

n8r posted:

I recently got to drive a 2018 M2, which was the nicest / most expensive car I've driven by a very long shot. I would say do whatever you can to buy one, it was loving amazing.

Hahahah you just made Chris rock hard, man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He should have stayed and played the Alabama lottery since his odds are probably better now that everyone is shoveling money into the Florida and Georgia lottery.

And by better I mean one in hundreds of millions chance rather than an one in several billion opportunity.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Krispy Wafer posted:

He should have stayed and played the Alabama lottery since his odds are probably better now that everyone is shoveling money into the Florida and Georgia lottery.

And by better I mean one in hundreds of millions chance rather than an one in several billion opportunity.

There isn't an Alabama lottery. Also, lottery odds don't change based on the number of players.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

BMan posted:

There isn't an Alabama lottery. Also, lottery odds don't change based on the number of players.

Wouldn't number of players change the expected value?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Verus posted:

Sure, but if it's fuckoff money regardless...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

So I understand lottery odds only slightly worse than a lottery player.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Verus posted:

Yes but not the odds of winning. More people = higher likelihood of sharing the pot. Same odds of winning the pot though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BMan posted:

Dead money in the jackpot due to a long streak of no winners increases the expectation value of a ticket. It's definitely possible that a ticket in this jackpot has a small positive value (albiet with an extremely high variance)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Dead money in the jackpot due to a long streak of no winners increases the expectation value of a ticket. It's definitely possible that a ticket in this jackpot has a small positive value (albiet with an extremely high variance)

I remember this happening before, where the lottery had "positive expected value", but it actually didn't because they sold way more tickets than the value of the jackpot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

crazypeltast52 posted:

Do you have a link to the DoJ indictment? Everything is locked right now.

Nope, that's just what I recall from when I still had pacer access. If I knew where to find the complaint without needing pacer I'd be linking directly to it :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/1053814357128290304

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Wait, if I put that on my sandwiches my hair will grow back? Holy poo poo how have I not heard of this sooner?

Does Zaurg know about this? He could use a new investment opportunity now that his thread has been moved to E/N and he’s a piss baby about it happening.

you’re welcome :zaurg:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It's even got horse bits in it

:ssh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A chick at work put mayonnaise in her hair because her scalp was dry. She smelled weird for a couple days. Her scalp was still dry.

BWL, but GWM since she took the mayo from the company cafeteria.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

A chick at work put mayonnaise in her hair because her scalp was dry. She smelled weird for a couple days. Her scalp was still dry.

BWL, but GWM since she took the mayo from the company cafeteria.
This post is cursed. Please do not look at it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

you can also make a cost-effective protein rinse with powdered gelatin :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Most likely BWM. Slim chance of being VGWM.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
winning the lottery is not actually gwm, hth

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

Why is there fake text overlay on the screenshot?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lotteries are horrible.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

H110Hawk posted:

Why is there fake text overlay on the screenshot?

looks to be screenshot of a screenshot

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

winning the lottery is not actually gwm, hth

The kind of person who empties their bank account buying bulk lotto tickets is definitely not going to do better with more money, so yea.

On the other hand, this big a jackpot would take time to blow just because of the sheer amount, and would probably yield some really amazing stories.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Ah, good for him! Now he has a 0.0005% chance of winning! :stonk:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sundae posted:

Ah, good for him! Now he has a 0.0005% chance of winning! :stonk:

if only the odds were that good

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashcans posted:

The kind of person who empties their bank account buying bulk lotto tickets is definitely not going to do better with more money, so yea.

On the other hand, this big a jackpot would take time to blow just because of the sheer amount, and would probably yield some really amazing stories.

There is always a bigger island to buy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

if only the odds were that good

$3,200 at $2 per ticket = 1600 tickets.

Odds of winning the jackpot:

quote:

The odds of winning the jackpot are now 1 in 302,575,350.

(1600 / 302575350) * 100% = 5.29*10^-4 = 0.0005%.

They're "that good" in the sense that the number is accurate, but because the odds are actually legible, we mistakenly think the odds are decent. :haw: It's still a one in two-hundred-thousand chance even after spending $3,200 on it to even pick the numbers, excluding all the split-pot stuff.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Tickets in the Mega Millions right now are probably positive EV even after taxes and taking the lump sum so strictly speaking it is likely GWM to buy an affordable number of tickets, the utility of doing so however might be negative considering the marginal utility of one dollar in your pocket versus the marginal utility of the hypothetical 1.6 billionth dollar

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can afford $2 to maybe win 1.6 billion

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Lockback posted:

Honestly, the part I hate the most is him saying he really needs it and it would change his life as if he’s special and all those other people playing couldn’t use a billion dollars. Then he follows it up with saying he’ll donate half to charity as if that makes up for the blatant greed.

The worst thing that could happen is this guy winning ‘cause he’ll proudly tell everyone what he’s done and other people are going to think this is a valid and good strategy to win.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought my first ever lottery ticket out of loss aversion because my co-workers did an office pool.

I'd feel like the biggest moron in the world if they all won without me. It's insurance! Paying $5 today into that makes me just a garden variety moron.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

I bought my first ever lottery ticket out of loss aversion because my co-workers did an office pool.

I'd feel like the biggest moron in the world if they all won without me. It's insurance! Paying $5 today into that makes me just a garden variety moron.

Office pools are the only time buying lotto tickets make sense. You spread the risk across a bunch of people and like you said, it’s insurance against eating a bullet after everyone quits and you’re the only person left.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I get a lottery ticket most weeks because I found that spending $6 to fantasize what I'd do with my winnings is therapeutic.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Heh, that guy is obviously crazy, but surely my little lottery habit is not bad with money! Ha ha!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Office pools are the only time buying lotto tickets make sense. You spread the risk across a bunch of people and like you said, it’s insurance against eating a bullet after everyone quits and you’re the only person left.

Or to be a plaintiff when the person running the pool “buys extra tickets for themselves and those were the ones that won, totally guys”

Edit: I can spell today I guess

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Even the office pools that sign a contract and issue scans of the tickets ahead of the drawing end up in a court battle. Timmy bought Tammy her $10 lunch and she never paid him back so she owes him half the winnings from her $20 buyin

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

crazypeltast52 posted:

Or to be a planiff when the person running the pool “buys extra tickets for themselves and those were the ones that won, totally guys”

That was my first thought too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Nope, that's just what I recall from when I still had pacer access. If I knew where to find the complaint without needing pacer I'd be linking directly to it :shrug:

Control f “Lustig” in this finds a few things, sounds like a bit of a bucket shop even before whatever the current indictment has. There’s some BWM in there about James Lustig’s wife, who was some kind of heiress and ends up with this situation.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...0denver&f=false