Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

But if it had a nice fast native app would you still want to use the web one?

Why would you want to install a native app for texting, when a web client could exist? It's 2018.

e: this is in reference to desktops, where the web client is used, just to be clear

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Taffer posted:

But if it had a nice fast native app would you still want to use the web one?

No. Because why do I want to look at my phone when I can have all my texts in a tab on my browser and respond/read them from the browser?

On my devices? Yes I want a native app experience, but from the web I just require "an experience"

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would you want to install a native app for texting, when a web client could exist? It's 2018.

e: this is in reference to desktops, where the web client is used, just to be clear

I would! If I use something frequently I prefer it to not be in a browser. The web gets slower and more frustrating every year and it's a serious breath of fresh air every time something has a good native (desktop) app.

Of course, if I'm only going to use it occasionally then that's a different story.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

The web gets slower and more frustrating every year

That's....a very odd opinion, and outside the scope of this thread so I won't dive into it. To each their own.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Since I don't want to log into anything personal at work, I'm just super used to using my phone for anything communication. I almost exclusively for Facebook, messages, Twitter, etc, even at home where I'm logged into everything. I'm 50/50 preferring email on my phone vs desktop. I just grab my phone and use it even while doing computer things on my computer, even for things like checking Something Awful.

Basically, if I'm not typing paragraphs, I just do it on my phone.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a P2xl, I want those slick looking new live wallpapers they released for the Pixel 3. I noticed my wallpapers app added several new options recently but I'm not seeing the new live options. Is my only choice to side load that apk with the new ones or was there some word that these would or wouldn't be coming to the p2? I'd prefer not to sideload an APK when I can avoid it but I will if necessary.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

I have a P2xl, I want those slick looking new live wallpapers they released for the Pixel 3. I noticed my wallpapers app added several new options recently but I'm not seeing the new live options. Is my only choice to side load that apk with the new ones or was there some word that these would or wouldn't be coming to the p2? I'd prefer not to sideload an APK when I can avoid it but I will if necessary.

You're going to need to sideload it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I already did this some days ago and haven't yet experienced any issues.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Got it, I'll go ahead and bite the bullet. Thanks for the info

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've never understood the hesitance to sideload apps. It takes seconds and unless you're concerned with updates (not really an issue with a wallpaper app) you don't ever have to worry about it again

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My thought was more "if Google is gonna push it out to me on their own, I don't mind waiting."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

most people don't actually care about encryption (just look at people continuing to recommend Telegram lol)

Secure or not, no one's going to switch to Signal if barely anyone uses it.

There are many large tech groups on Telegram, everyone knows it's not secure...but just about everyone in my circles is also on it. That drives things much more than "but security".

That or Discord. But gently caress Discord because it kills even the flaggiest of flagships.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

But gently caress Discord because it kills even the flaggiest of flagships.

It's perfect compared to snapchat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've had 0 problems with Discord except for in the very beginning the way it handled notifications if you were idle on your PC sucked and when I upgraded to P my notifications got hosed up, had to do an uninstall/reinstall. Otherwise Discord has been perfectly fine for me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's perfect compared to snapchat.

Okay, yeah there's no denying that.

But at least Snapchat lets go of the camera and mic so if you close the app, it doesn't crash it if you open the Camera app. Discord is the only app that made my Pixel 2 get incredibly hot and shut off because it wouldn't stop trying to use the camera.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Something changed in Auto and now I get bloops all the time using navigation even though I have it set to only give me traffic alerts. Yes, I know I am home. No, I do not want you to pause my music for three seconds so I can get a beep alerting me of that fact.

It also interrupts when crossing state lines, which I don't recall it doing before.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ThermoPhysical posted:

Okay, yeah there's no denying that.

But at least Snapchat lets go of the camera and mic so if you close the app, it doesn't crash it if you open the Camera app. Discord is the only app that made my Pixel 2 get incredibly hot and shut off because it wouldn't stop trying to use the camera.

I've definitely not had problems like that using Discord on android, Slack would end up pulling that sort of poo poo sometimes but not Discord.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Discord (and slack and many others) is made in react native (and the desktop app is electron) which incurs huge resource overheads compared to a normal native app, so yeah its pretty bad. But also anecdotally for me it doesn't even approach how bad snapchat was. But i uninstalled snapchat ages ago so I dunno if they ever fixed their poo poo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

so I dunno if they ever fixed their poo poo

Nope. Supposedly the big revamp is still coming this year

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

Something changed in Auto and now I get bloops all the time using navigation even though I have it set to only give me traffic alerts. Yes, I know I am home. No, I do not want you to pause my music for three seconds so I can get a beep alerting me of that fact.

It also interrupts when crossing state lines, which I don't recall it doing before.

I got these too, but I kind of like them.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It's actually Maps that has changed. I get that in (non-Auto) driving mode on phone.

Also, yes my Driving Mode shortcut and my Android Auto shortcuts are literally side by side and yet I still just pick them randomly, not even based on what I feel like, perhaps random malice towards one.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Could have sworn a month or two ago Chrome added a button to the left of the address bar that took you back to the new tab page with recent bookmarks and such, them it disappeared. Hidden behind a setting I can't find or just gone?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Could have sworn a month or two ago Chrome added a button to the left of the address bar that took you back to the new tab page with recent bookmarks and such, them it disappeared. Hidden behind a setting I can't find or just gone?

Drag the address bar down.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Are there any decent or recommended apps for rating/cataloging movies and tv shows you've watched? I really like using the website Criticker.com, and was hoping there was an app equivalent.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BisterdDave posted:

Are there any decent or recommended apps for rating/cataloging movies and tv shows you've watched? I really like using the website Criticker.com, and was hoping there was an app equivalent.

I like seriesguide and I guess there's a movie vers that hooks into IMDB instead of a tvdb

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Does anyone have a simple, transparent agenda widget that isn't completely infested with ads (i'll plop down a dollar or two) or clearly from some shady source with broken english app descriptions?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

blokada is a good adblocking solution

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Does anyone have a simple, transparent agenda widget that isn't completely infested with ads (i'll plop down a dollar or two) or clearly from some shady source with broken english app descriptions?

Is something like this what you are looking for?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.calendarWidget

I use it to display my upcoming calendar appointments. You can fully customize the colors, the text, the transparency of the background, and which calendars it looks at.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Anyone know of an app that actually works to boost Bluetooth audio volume? I'm specifically using stock Android Pie with Bose wireless headphones and Spotify. I tried some older trick in dev options as well but it didn't work.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

torturemyballs posted:

Anyone know of an app that actually works to boost Bluetooth audio volume? I'm specifically using stock Android Pie with Bose wireless headphones and Spotify. I tried some older trick in dev options as well but it didn't work.

Can you boost it in the EQ in either the app, Android, or the Bose app?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Letterboxd

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

Is something like this what you are looking for?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.calendarWidget

I use it to display my upcoming calendar appointments. You can fully customize the colors, the text, the transparency of the background, and which calendars it looks at.

Perfect, thank you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I use this and have no complaints.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 21, 2018

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

LastInLine posted:

This is linking to a calender widget?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

This is linking to a calender widget?

LOL yeah I meant to reply to Maker. Being an idiot, quoting the wrong post is a risk that comes with the territory.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

LastInLine posted:

I also use this one and liked it enough to give them the 2.50 for ad free.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LastInLine posted:

This is what I used to use when I needed a calendar widget. VERY customizable. Highly recommend spending the surveybux on it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Blue Train posted:

blokada is a good adblocking solution

Better than NetGuard and if so, how?
I remember other goons mention it. Can it whitelist sites that would otherwise have blocked elements like Adblock Origin can do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

Better than NetGuard and if so, how?
I remember other goons mention it. Can it whitelist sites that would otherwise have blocked elements like Adblock Origin can do?

It's definitely got a better UI than NetGuard as it doesn't have to do all of the stuff that NetGuard has to do to be a viable VPN app and stay in the Play Store. It's just for adblocking and the UI is centered around that so if that's what you want a VPN app for then it's just more lightweight and direct about how to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Has anyone noticed anything weird with Assistant subscriptions lately? I've generally had a subscription in Google Assistant to tell me the Weather in the morning, and to show me the forecast in the evening, but attempts to create a subscription seem to fail, now.

FOr instance, if I ask:
"What's the Weather"
It shows me the weather, and gives an option to "Send Daily"
If I tap "Send Daily"
It asks "What time should I send it each day?"
If I respond with any time value, through speech or tapping a suggestion
It does a search on the time I specified, rather than setting the subscription.

Similarly, if I try to delete or alter an existing Assistant Subscription, it treats any response I give to "How would you like to change the subscription?" as an independent search, so I can't change the time or cancel the subscription.

Device is a Pixel 3XL on Pie.