Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

While I'm an anime-first JoJo experiencer, so I haven't seen the relevant manga chapter, I definitely feel like this episode in particular was enhanced by the addition of sound, colour, and motion. The whole episode had a fairytale vibe, with the meeting with Polpo in particular feeling like Giorno was petitioning some strange and terrible ogre for passage into fairyland.

Like if Miyazaki directed Silence of the Lambs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Bruno says "Leaky Eye Luca was disposed of by our boss. He said that there's no point in him living anymore." Interpret that however you want.

Yeah cause Luca was brain dead.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

While I'm an anime-first JoJo experiencer, so I haven't seen the relevant manga chapter, I definitely feel like this episode in particular was enhanced by the addition of sound, colour, and motion. The whole episode had a fairytale vibe, with the meeting with Polpo in particular feeling like Giorno was petitioning some strange and terrible ogre for passage into fairyland.

Fairies in folklore act like the mob anyway so this tracks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think black sabbath is actually directly called that by a character, it's just on one of those informational little stat pages. not particularly a spoiler.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So the real question for this part: we have a Jojo and we're in Italy, so do we have any Zeppelis?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Not only are they all Zeppelis, this will be the first Jojo series with a TPK.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I mean, like, someone has probably drawn the part 4 characters in the Ed, Edd, Eddy style,right?

Gotchu fam

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

YggiDee posted:

Not only are they all Zeppelis, this will be the first Jojo series with a TPK.

So would that be called a Hindenburg disaster then?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Passione should have been The Zepelli Mafia

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

I think the bed thing is a stand ability

it's more of a laying down ability.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tweet my meat posted:

I think the bed thing is a stand ability

Behold the power of DREAM THEATER!

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I have to ask [pm me or spoiler it.] Does polnareff show up in part 5?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In much the same way that J. Geil's dome that protects him from water is never explained, I don't think Polpo eating his fingers ever comes up again.
Thread sounding like part five has a ton of this random one-off bullshit, was the author just doing whatever he felt like by this point?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jackard posted:

Sounding like the season has a ton of this random one-off bullshit, was the author just doing whatever he felt like by this point?

that's what he's always been doing

remember when the stardust crusaders just had a little girl hanging out with them for a few weeks until she eventually left, having done nothing at all

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ranzear posted:

I don't recall it being referred to as Black Sabbath or any name yet. Thanks for the spoiler manga readers :catstare:
mods please probate all of these dastardly spoiling freaks thanks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jackard posted:

Thread sounding like part five has a ton of this random one-off bullshit, was the author just doing whatever he felt like by this point?
Nah, Araki is just only slightly less Writing By The Seat Of His Pants Than Toriyama.

Only later does he start preparing some notecards

Weekly deadlines are hard man

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Weekly deadlines are the bane of manga

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rohan meets his deadlines no problem, maybe everyone else just needs to get good

(I agree)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

Nah, Araki is just only slightly less Writing By The Seat Of His Pants Than Toriyama.

Only later does he start preparing some notecards

Weekly deadlines are hard man

It should come as no surprise that Jojo gets, somehow, even better once Araki doesn't have to deal with weekly deadlines anymore (or the inherent limitation of aiming at a young demographic). Part 7 is a wonderful thing. It's also far as gently caress if you're an anime-only watcher, but believe me: all the wait will be worth it.

Meanwhile Part 5 is also really good despite how it has quite a bit of Araki clearly not being too sure of what he's writing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Brother Entropy posted:

remember when the stardust crusaders just had a little girl hanging out with them for a few weeks until she eventually left, having done nothing at all

I'm still convinced that Araki mainly just had her there as a red herring for the Blue Moon fight, then his editors forced him to keep her around for a few more chapters because they thought the story needed a kid sidekick character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'd believe that. I feel like I've never read anything about Arakis experience with his editors like I have with Toriyama or Kubo. Whoever Araki had to answer to at Shonen Jump must have been a pretty chill dude and liked him a lot before JoJo blew up because uhh....lol at JoJo in general

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm still convinced that Araki mainly just had her there as a red herring for the Blue Moon fight, then his editors forced him to keep her around for a few more chapters because they thought the story needed a kid sidekick character.

yeah that's not a bad guess as to what happened

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

that's what he's always been doing

she takes the place of that kid from the end of part 1 and smokey from part 2 of being seemingly relevant and nothing happening

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
respect poco

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

she takes the place of that kid from the end of part 1 and smokey from part 2 of being seemingly relevant and nothing happening

Wouldn't surprise me if "it's a shonen so there needs to be a young character in the group" is kind of just a thing an editor demands.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/kenrico7/status/1053529215025348608

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Poco has an actual character arc, and Smokey at least gets to do some Speedwagon-style commentary. The Runaway Girl (she's not even called Anne in the manga) is purely a damsel in distress, when she serves any narrative purpose at all.

I'd say her pointlessness is partly due to Araki not being great with female characters back then, but Erina, Lisa Lisa, and even Poco's sister are better written than that, so that just points to the further question of how Araki lost the ability to write female characters starting around the start of Part 3. I don't think it qualifies as a spoiler to say that there are better female characters later on, though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wouldn't say araki 'lost' the ability to write female characters just because he dropped the boring runaway girl

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

weird red herrings make the adventure more bizarre duh

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i wouldn't say araki 'lost' the ability to write female characters just because he dropped the boring runaway girl

No, I'm saying he "lost" the ability to write female characters because the Runaway Girl, and the Part 3 female characters in general, are not very well-written. Basically every female character in Part 3 is either a damsel in distress or a throwaway villain (and the female throwaway villains tend to be defined by their appearance in a way the male ones aren't). Enya is the exception (although even she turned out to be a less important character than she had been built up as - but that's not a gender thing; other villains who were built up as important, like Jack the Ripper, Straizo, and Santana, got a similar treatment).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 21, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the actual exception is the high priestess lady, who we never even got to see until the capcom fighting game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

exploded mummy posted:

Hey, Poco opened a door and Smokey at least was relevant to show what a good influence Joseph was despite his brusque nature.

Anne/Runaway Girl just kind of existed for no real reason.

Silver2195 posted:

No, I'm saying he "lost" the ability to write female characters because the Runaway Girl, and the Part 3 female characters in general, are not very well-written. Basically every female character in Part 3 is either a damsel in distress or a throwaway villain (and the female throwaway villains tend to be defined by their appearance in a way the male ones aren't). Enya is the exception (although even she turned out to be a less important character than she had been built up as - but that's not a gender thing; other villains who were built up as important, like Jack the Ripper, Straizo, and Santana, got a similar treatment).

I will say that I didn't care for the fact that every female villain in Part 3, Enya aside, winds up being in love with (or intimating they could have fallen in love with) Dio or the Joestars.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 21, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jojo part 5 golden wind

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1053629117172658178

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Anne's purpose was to be Psycho-perved on by a horny orangutan, the noblest of roles.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

man with how wild and random some stands are it feels like a needless risk. you dont wanna poke someone with an arrow and it turns out their stand is a mobile telephone that is always broadcasting the user's conversations into the sky in the form of a banner held by an unidentifiable flying object (stand name: jefferson airplane)

TonegawaPolpo is just a middle level manager. If the boss tells him to do that sort of bullshit then he does it. Such are his tribulations

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

I'd believe that. I feel like I've never read anything about Arakis experience with his editors like I have with Toriyama or Kubo. Whoever Araki had to answer to at Shonen Jump must have been a pretty chill dude and liked him a lot before JoJo blew up because uhh....lol at JoJo in general

his editor probably saw the first page of overly-muscled and extremely homoerotic men and said "this is dope as hell" then went home and never returned, because they knew that any kind of editorial oversight would ruin it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hey, Poco opened a door and Smokey at least was relevant to show what a good influence Joseph was despite his brusque nature.

Anne/Runaway Girl just kind of existed for no real reason.

I will say that I didn't care for the fact that every female villain in Part 3, Enya aside, winds up being in love with (or intimating they could have fallen in love with) Dio or the Joestars.

Nena liked Polnareff, and I don't think High Priestess user ever really did anything one way or another, so that kind of leaves it with Mariah and just Mariah.

I mean there's only like 4 female villains in Part 3, compared to 20 odd male ones, 1 animal, and 1 genderless construct

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Nena liked Hol Horse and only pretended to like Polnareff to distract him from her trying to kill Joseph. Midler winds up falling in love with Jotaro, though she gets over it when she realizes he's bullshitting her.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Araki's fully aware of his problems on this front and DOES take strong steps towards fixing them, though results vary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What popped for me about the surreal color situation is that at first I thought, oh, it's just sunset. Giorno was at the prison and left around 3:30 and probably had to deal with some bullshit on the way home. Except that that would not make a lot of sense: his room is close enough that he walked rather than getting a cab, and it was still bright afternoon out.