Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arivia posted:

This was a very good man for our new product:

https://twitter.com/hotcistakes/status/1052994484177395712

later in the thread it comes out that his "one trans friend' was a random person he accosted at a con and they were just trying to get away from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Wait.

When the hell did Boogie of all people become the Bad Guy?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Probably around the same time he defended the Holocaust? I don't know who the gently caress he is but that sounds Bad.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Loomer posted:

Probably around the same time he defended the Holocaust? I don't know who the gently caress he is but that sounds Bad.

I mean I'll have to go dig for that cause I prefer to see stuff for myself but man I've been out of the loop if that's the case.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arthil posted:

Wait.

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1051944955877490690

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1048288532413009921

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1047963923763351553

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1010581891081228290

https://twitter.com/TomatoGrandpa/status/1010658957382356992

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/969343807471878146

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

For extra hilarity, this particular tweet is the result of this one:

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/969305333645692930

I never knew who this Boogie dude was until recently either but I can't imagine he hasn't always been a huge fuckin toolbox based on the fact that everything he says is ludicrously stupid.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arthil posted:

Wait.

He literally always has been.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

alg posted:

They've had official DCC tournaments at the past several Gencons. The 2017 module just released for home play, and you can upload your results to their site. It's pretty neat, but not worth watching other people play.

DCC is so aggressively old-school that I imagine they feel the need to check off that sort of box; and it's more focused on the crawl than role-play, anyway, so it definitely fits the hole they're trying to plug.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Also did anyone notice that they said they would “recast” the RPGsports team?

Not deselect, bench, or bar, like you do in sports. “Recast”, like you do in performances.

It appears the “AP meta effect” has already been planned in; it’s actually “RPG pro wrestling”...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

He literally always has been.

but francis was funny

Or at least I guess for some people, which is possibly why he got a pass for a while.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Lol at this take: the left is attacking me for something I admittedly got wrong, while the right is attacking me for having a girl in my video. Guess both sides are the same, right??

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the simultaneously held views of "The holocaust wasn't all bad because of all the medical advancement" and "Gay marriage wasn't worth death."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbozig posted:

Lol at this take: the left is attacking me for something I admittedly got wrong, while the right is attacking me for having a girl in my video. Guess both sides are the same, right??

Like Serf said before, he also said that Heather Heyer's death at the Charlottesville white supremacist rally was equally due to "extreme" discourse from the likes of Anita Sarkeesian as extreme language on the right.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Like Serf said before, he also said that Heather Heyer's death at the Charlottesville white supremacist rally was equally due to "extreme" discourse from the likes of Anita Sarkeesian as extreme language on the right.

just to add this onto the pile of poo poo about boogie, here's where he says it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-azOuTN3Ps&t=706s

boogie believes that he occupies some kind of "logical, sane middle" part of the conversation and that politics is downstream from culture, which is obvious bullshit. more than that, he credits himself with pulling people center from the far right and apparently thinks this is some huge favor to people on the left

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

potatocubed posted:

Sage LaTorra was tweeting earlier that the DJA makes great shortlists and terrible winner decisions, and the more I look through this list the more I'm inclined to agree.

James Wallis is one of the panel. James Wallis who has been a hack failure in the industry for most of his life, is an arrogant opinonated wanker, lied multiple times to his kickstarter backers and throws poo poo at his freelancers, who was writing pretentious bullshit in interzone and somehow managed to become thought of as an intellectual in an industry where 100+ people have more of a clue than he does.

Says it all really.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

I love the simultaneously held views of "The holocaust wasn't all bad because of all the medical advancement" and "Gay marriage wasn't worth death."

I love that he has fans after taking the bold stance of 'maybe if you queers weren't so DANG RUDE you woulda gotten rights sooner and also never push for further advancement because you'll spook the nazis and that'd make you just as bad as them. Also if you advocate for gay rights every hate crime death is kinda your fault too'. Like, even before he said 'well hey maybe the holocaust had SOME good...' the dude was, at best, dumb as poo poo.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

hyphz posted:

Also did anyone notice that they said they would “recast” the RPGsports team?

Not deselect, bench, or bar, like you do in sports. “Recast”, like you do in performances.

It appears the “AP meta effect” has already been planned in; it’s actually “RPG pro wrestling”...

No offense, but this would be the first thing I've heard that would make me more likely to watch it. Now we just need like 19 more pieces of news like this, and I'll think about catching it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PST posted:

James Wallis is one of the panel. James Wallis who has been a hack failure in the industry for most of his life, is an arrogant opinonated wanker, lied multiple times to his kickstarter backers and throws poo poo at his freelancers, who was writing pretentious bullshit in interzone and somehow managed to become thought of as an intellectual in an industry where 100+ people have more of a clue than he does.

Says it all really.

On the flip side, Alas Vegas is loving amazing...after it finally was published years late.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I used to watch boogie back when he was just an "aw shucks" kind of inoffensive video game you tuber.

Then gamergate happened and he started doing his maybe both sides have appoint poo poo and I washed my hands of him. he is, yeah, a total spineless centrist boot licker. Also voted for Stein in 2016 :lol:

I'm guessing by this time 2019 he'll have gone full open alt right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mewnie posted:

I used to watch boogie back when he was just an "aw shucks" kind of inoffensive video game you tuber.

Then gamergate happened and he started doing his maybe both sides have appoint poo poo and I washed my hands of him. he is, yeah, a total spineless centrist boot licker. Also voted for Stein in 2016 :lol:

I'm guessing by this time 2019 he'll have gone full open alt right.

he's gonna totes be one of those 'the left got SO extreme and SO mean they MADE me into an alt-right redpill guy' guys by this time next year yea.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

he's gonna totes be one of those 'the left got SO extreme and SO mean they MADE me into an alt-right redpill guy' guys by this time next year yea.

I look forward to his joint IndieGoGo project with Hambly to create a Magic: The Gathering clone for TRUE FANS.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Kurieg posted:

It's also one of my pet peeves because the holocaust didn't actually produce any valid medical research! It was just some loving sadists putting starving people into ice water and then saying "yeah I guess Jews die easily in ice water, unlike Aryans" or doing sadistic experiments on twins. None of it was of any value, and that's even assuming you can trust that a sadistic Nazi wasn't lying when he wrote down how long it took someone to die. This idea in culture that the Nazi's were somehow making scientific progress instead of just coasting on what they inherited is one of the stupidest bits of WW2 propaganda that people somehow take for face value to this day.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neaden posted:

It's also one of my pet peeves because the holocaust didn't actually produce any valid medical research! It was just some loving sadists putting starving people into ice water and then saying "yeah I guess Jews die easily in ice water, unlike Aryans" or doing sadistic experiments on twins. None of it was of any value, and that's even assuming you can trust that a sadistic Nazi wasn't lying when he wrote down how long it took someone to die. This idea in culture that the Nazi's were somehow making scientific progress instead of just coasting on what they inherited is one of the stupidest bits of WW2 propaganda that people somehow take for face value to this day.
Even if they weren't just doing idiot torture stuff, I've never heard of any of this "medical" ""research"" involving a control group. They destroyed a lot of genuine medical research when they came to power, so the Nazis actually contributed a negative amount to the field.

Serf
May 5, 2011

but as internet pedants and callous assholes will readily point out: rocketry

operation paperclip lol

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Even if they weren't just doing idiot torture stuff, I've never heard of any of this "medical" ""research"" involving a control group. They destroyed a lot of genuine medical research when they came to power, so the Nazis actually contributed a negative amount to the field.

Yep. Anything that didn't support the 'Aryan master race' mythology got burned. Germany was a world leader in medical science, including research on gender and sexuality that we're only recently catching back up to, before they decided to destroy all the research that was too Jewish or too queer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zereth posted:

They did horrific twin studies where they'd experiment on one twin and, when they died from those experiments, killed the other twin as well and compared their bodies. :(

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Serf posted:

but as internet pedants and callous assholes will readily point out: rocketry

I loving hate that myth. The age of modern rocketry arguably began with Robert Goddard, an American scientist, in the goddamn 1920's. Yes, during the war Germany developed the V2 - poster child of the potential of the rocket. But that was just a logical iteration of pre-existing technology, rockets would've been developed with or without the Nazis just the same.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
But without Von Braunn, would we have the iconic '3. 2. 1. Liftoff.'?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

I loving hate that myth. The age of modern rocketry arguably began with Robert Goddard, an American scientist, in the goddamn 1920's. Yes, during the war Germany developed the V2 - poster child of the potential of the rocket. But that was just a logical iteration of pre-existing technology, rockets would've been developed with or without the Nazis just the same.

hey, you ain't gotta tell me. tell the paperclip fanclub.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd say that the biggest knowledge that the world gained with operation paperclip is the various interrogation and counter-guerrilla tactics that gentlemen like Mr. Barbie, Mr. Skorzeny and the men of Villa Baviera helped teach the police and military forces of South American regimes to use with grace and tact.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sage Genesis posted:

The scenario 'if the Nazis had won we'd have colonized the Moon at the least by now' is some weird thing I see pop up in alt-histories.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Personally, I'm disappointed the world never got to see a fistfight between literal Space-Wizard Jack Parsons, the true father of the space age, and Wernher von Braun, the sinister nazi saboteur.

In terms of Nazi Holocaust science, basically all we got was some vaguely useful raw data on precisely how long it takes someone to die if you do <x>, which isn't really terribly useful when the people in question were malnourished and routinely disease-ridden concentration camp inmates. Most of the useful science the Allies pillaged out of Germany wasn't developed as part of it, and was in industrial processes, chemical/biological warfare (the nazis, at the time, were the world leaders in it) and bunker design rather than the medical sphere.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

The scenario 'if the Nazis had won we'd have colonized the Moon at the least by now' is some weird thing I see pop up in alt-histories.

Those are horrible money sinks on the game from they are from.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Those are horrible money sinks on the game from they are from.

Keiserreich?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Keiserreich?

No, The New Order, it's still on the making but it's a take on the 'Nazis won WW2!' idea where it shows the victorious Axis powers as being completely incompetent at maintaining their hegemony (Germany's economy is in shambles and the country breaks into a massive hell four way civil war between the Nazi top leaders the moment Hitler dies of old age, the imbecilic nazi Atlantropa project causes massive damage to Italy so they break with Germany and allies with Francoist Spain and Turkey, Japan can barely hold their colonial empire since the still economically and politically powerful USA finances a shitload of guerrilas in china and southeast asia).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

No, The New Order, it's still on the making but it's a take on the 'Nazis won WW2!' idea where it shows the victorious Axis powers as being completely incompetent at maintaining their hegemony (Germany's economy is in shambles and the country breaks into a massive hell four way civil war between the Nazi top leaders the moment Hitler dies of old age, the imbecilic nazi Atlantropa project causes massive damage to Italy so they break with Germany and allies with Francoist Spain and Turkey, Japan can barely hold their colonial empire since the still economically and politically powerful USA finances a shitload of guerrilas in china and southeast asia).

This actually sounds kind of rad in a black comedy sort of way.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DCC is so aggressively old-school that I imagine they feel the need to check off that sort of box; and it's more focused on the crawl than role-play, anyway, so it definitely fits the hole they're trying to plug.

I dunno, DCC roleplaying is pretty great. For one, I like that classes are all really powerful, and they all feel like specific archetypes. Fighters in other games feel like guys that hit hard, but with Deeds, lucky weapons(which are also named in the Lankhmar rules), and the absolutely horrendous amount of damage you can deal, it really does feel like an amalgamation of Aragorn, Conan, etc. You're not "a guy dat fights with a sord!" you're a legendary hero. Thieves, with their luck gambling and "backstabs are always crits and your weapons die get better" are much more threatening than any rogue, you got wizards feeling like warlocks and witches, less "gandalf but with a five minute work day" and there are actual pacts with demons unlike 5e which makes warlocks a damage class that gets 'pacts' as part of mechanics and nothing else. Clerics feel like paladins and holy warriors, and the Elves genuinely feel like the iron-fearing, magic working casters of faerie. Dwarves are sadly generic.

I dunno, I really feel there's a lot of story in DCCRPG, from its XP system that rewards difficulty of encounter, not value of monsters slain or treasure gained, to the fact that...all DCCRPG adventures have a ton of story in there. It's fun and not lovely.

Still, the tournament poo poo is pretty cool. I dunno how much fun it would be to watch, but maybe some animated encounters.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

This actually sounds kind of rad in a black comedy sort of way.

That's probs the intended tone because you have stuff like the bombed ruins of russia being a fallout ref (lysenko's faction as a Big MT expy) or goering launching a monstrously expensive SUN GUN project that immediately crashes to Earth

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Sage Genesis posted:

Pretty much all technology is just the logical iteration of pre-existing technology and pretty much all technology would have been developed eventually. Nonetheless, rocket science is the one field that the Nazis were ahead in. Not terribly far ahead, what with the V-2 being based on Goddard's designs, but the experience learned in going from a design to a working rocket is significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LatwPIAT posted:

Pretty much all technology is just the logical iteration of pre-existing technology and pretty much all technology would have been developed eventually. Nonetheless, rocket science is the one field that the Nazis were ahead in. Not terribly far ahead, what with the V-2 being based on Goddard's designs, but the experience learned in going from a design to a working rocket is significant.

Goddard built working rockets also. He was just interested in their use in for weather forecasting instead of strapping bombs to them.

There also was some decent science that came out of the camps, but none of it was done by the Nazis. Some camped scientists decided to record the physical effects of their starvation, which has proved somewhat useful in saving lives afterwards. But that happened despite the awful conditions and murder people were put through not because of them. Like in basically everything else, Boogie is an awful human being and full of poo poo.