Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Gillibrand is who should be leading the Democrats in the Senate, she's probably the only one on their bench as ruthlessly tactical as McConnell.

Also she's been a blue dog and a liberal so she can represent the whole caucus well :haw:.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's staggering how terrible the Democratic lineup really is.

Bernie is yet again the only legit good potential candidate.

I wouldn't even know how would be the second best option.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Personally I'm morbidly curious as to what Dear Leader's tweets are gonna be once the Dem horserace really gets started.

Cause you know he's not going to miss a single opportunity to blather about things ("I'm running" announcements, Iowa, debates, polls, random toilet thoughts, etc)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's staggering how terrible the Democratic lineup really is.

It's literally going to be the 2016 Republican primary again but for liberals. A whole host of ghouls no one actually likes beyond their team affiliation vs a single charismatic populist. Pretty sure it's going to play out the same way too with a repeating cycle of establishment figures rising to challenge Bernie only to see their support collapse as people realize that they suck. It's going to be pretty great. The only wildcard is going to be how hard the DNC tries to ratfuck the left this time around.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

readingatwork posted:

It's literally going to be the 2016 Republican primary again but for liberals. A whole host of ghouls no one actually likes beyond their team affiliation vs a single charismatic populist. Pretty sure it's going to play out the same way too with a repeating cycle of establishment figures rising to challenge Bernie only to see their support collapse as people realize that they suck. It's going to be pretty great. The only wildcard is going to be how hard the DNC tries to ratfuck the left this time around.

I think at a minimum every single person who voted for Bernie in the primary in 2016 is gonna do so again and no other candidate has that kind of voting base, plus he's only increased in popularity since then.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The only thing I'm worried about for Bernie is the primary lineup. I could see Biden winning a bad state for us early on and the media declaring Joementum! or something.

Also, the age thing, but that's why we send him our energy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
iowa and NH are probably going to be gimmies for bernie, the real tests will be nevada and SC before the super tuesday clusterfuck

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DynamicSloth posted:

Gillibrand is who should be leading the Democrats in the Senate, she's probably the only one on their bench as ruthlessly tactical as McConnell.

Also she's been a blue dog and a liberal so she can represent the whole caucus well :haw:.

I do like Gillibrand, I'll be interested to see how she sets herself apart from all the other senators who started voting hard left in november 2016 for "some inscrutable reason"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think the primary thing Bernie has going for him versus basically everyone else is what appears to be a sincere ability to learn from his mistakes. He hasn't quite figured out how to stop sticking his foot in his mouth about race ("gun ownership is different in Vermont than Chicago") but his push to offer a coherent foreign policy and put his name on stuff like supporting Puerto Rico, Palestine, and his quick turn around on abolishing ICE shows that he's figured out where people want him to be for the most part.

Bernie endorsing Stacy Abrams and campaigning for her despite her not really being in the same progressive camp also shows that he's starting to realize how he has to engage with the black community more effectively, which is good. I think he should be trying harder to engage with stuff like the Poor People's Campaign tbh.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

goethe.cx posted:

I do like Gillibrand, I'll be interested to see how she sets herself apart from all the other senators who started voting hard left in november 2016 for "some inscrutable reason"

Don't get me wrong I like her too, I wouldn't pick her over Bernie but I'd be more confident she could beat Trump then most of these knuckledheads. If nothing else she's not afraid to stick her neck out.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I'd like Bernie and Joe to just step out of it now, but really be the elder statesman of the party. The Obamas are obviously going to be a big force in 2020, but Bill Clinton needs to gently caress off. I think Joe and Bernie could really have a lot of impact as party elders who represent the various wings of the party united.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

goethe.cx posted:

She swung pretty left starting in 2009, for one thing. :v: I get why people would prefer she had been progressive in the House, but to me it makes sense that she was more blue doggy when she lived in a district that was worse than NY State as a whole.

Maybe she'd be a good Bernie VP pick!

DynamicSloth posted:

This would not make me unhappy either.

Edit: skimming some articles in keeping with my "we genuinely don't know who might plausibly have a shot in 2020" philosophy, I've got another two progressive-ish-at-literal-first-glance names:

Tim Ryan (house member from Ohio) and Jay Inslee (governor of Washington). Why are they Bad, thread?

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 21, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is there a good primer on Gillibrand? I feel like she's the one contender I know next to nothing about.

e: Hey, wait a second, isn't that what this thread was originally for?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mantis42 posted:

Is there a good primer on Gillibrand? I feel like she's the one contender I know next to nothing about.

e: Hey, wait a second, isn't that what this thread was originally for?

The OP wrote a couple primers but the rest of us are lazy-rear end bums who'll mostly just chime in with tidbits we happen to know rather than coming up with something more comprehensive.

that said it would be fitting for me to do both K-Gills and Gabbard if I can work myself up to it before someone else does :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 21, 2018

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

She swung pretty left starting in 2009, for one thing. :v: I get why people would prefer she had been progressive in the House, but to me it makes sense that she was more blue doggy when she lived in a district that was worse than NY State as a whole.

oh yeah you're right, I think I lumped her in with booker. being a blue dog 10 years ago isn't disqualifying imo, especially if that's your constituency. hell, 10 years ago we still had conservative dem senators from arkansas and louisiana, and no high-profile dem was endorsing same-sex marriage

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I assume support for Duckworth is based purely off being darkly curious what heinous poo poo Trump would say

She's the choice of bad dems bc she's a triple idpol threat (disabled, asian, woman) whose pro-war, neoliberal policies fall right into their wheelhouse.

Not to mention her troopness, which gives a patina of respectability to her neocon foreign-policy views.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mantis42 posted:

I would glibly characterize Gillibrand as alternate universe Hillary Clinton in a world where she didn't get stuck with Bill's stupid rear end.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

She's the choice of bad dems bc she's a triple idpol threat (disabled, asian, woman) whose pro-war, neoliberal policies fall right into their wheelhouse.

Not to mention her troopness, which gives a patina of respectability to her neocon foreign-policy views.

Oh goddamnit, we're gonna get goldfish-brained pundits saying that Duckworth is a veteran so Republicans will have to respect her, aren't we?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

The only thing I'm worried about for Bernie is the primary lineup. I could see Biden winning a bad state for us early on and the media declaring Joementum! or something.

Also, the age thing, but that's why we send him our energy.

Joe is going to get Jeb(!)ed so hard once people start paying attention that it will make your head spin.There are just SO MANY pictures of him being creepy with women at this point and he offers nothing policy-wise that would make people want to look the other way.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh goddamnit, we're gonna get goldfish-brained pundits saying that Duckworth is a veteran so Republicans will have to respect her, aren't we?

They've been saying that about Kerry Duckworth for a while, now.

Lightning Knight posted:

I would glibly characterize Gillibrand as alternate universe Hillary Clinton in a world where she didn't get stuck with Bill's stupid rear end.

Clinton is more trustworthy than Gillibrand, but that could be applied to anyone vis a vis Kirsten Gillibrand save for Cory Booker.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

Personally I'm morbidly curious as to what Dear Leader's tweets are gonna be once the Dem horserace really gets started.

Cause you know he's not going to miss a single opportunity to blather about things ("I'm running" announcements, Iowa, debates, polls, random toilet thoughts, etc)

Watch out what you ask for, bc the dude's gonna be branding the dem field with his epigrams.

He's pretty much killed Warren's chances thanks to her biting his bait, he will go all in on Creepy Uncle Joe, and I'm sure he has nicks lined up for the rest of the field, too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dem leaders have been making a concerted effort to draft former troops as candidates so yes, that is correct.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

"How can Tammy Duckworth stand for America when she can't even stand?"

I can loving hear it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

EdithUpwards posted:

"How can Tammy Duckworth stand for America when she can't even stand?"

I can loving hear it.

You'd have to be deaf not to now that practically everyone in America has already made that joke.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How can Tammy Duckworth stand up to Trump when she can't even stand up for M4A?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Office Pig posted:

Clinton is more trustworthy than Gillibrand, but that could be applied to anyone vis a vis Kirsten Gillibrand save for Cory Booker.

Trusting politicians to keep to their positions in the first place is a bad idea, I trust that Gillibrand is very good at winning elections and will adopt popular democratic positions.

Booker defending loving Bain capital in the wake of the 47% video was neither tactical nor popular, just part of a blind devotion to certain donors.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

goethe.cx posted:

Didn't Gillibrand sponsor that bill to make supporting BDS a felony?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

readingatwork posted:

It's literally going to be the 2016 Republican primary again but for liberals.

I keep hearing this but I disagree. The difference is that Ted Cruz and ilk are actually legit conservatives, while people on the Democratic side could hardly even be called liberals.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Didn't Gillibrand sponsor that bill to make supporting BDS a felony?

She did, and then she withdrew her sponsorship.

quote:

Gillibrand said she changed her position after meeting with the American Civil Liberties Union, which opposes the bill.

"We went through their reading of the bill and why they believe it says — it chills free speech, which means the bill is ambiguous," Gillibrand said at the town hall.

The bill would fine individuals or companies anywhere from $250,000 to $1 million for engaging in any activity that supports the BDS movement, according to the ACLU. Violators could also face up to 20 years in prison.

Gillibrand changed her position because, in her view, individuals should not face that kind of punishment for expressing their opinion.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pinterest Mom posted:

She did, and then she withdrew her sponsorship.

what was her reading of the bill in the first place?? i'm glad she changed her mind but good lord

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Right, the fact she sponsored it to begin with demonstrates her eagerness to jerk off the Israel lobby.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A good question for 2020 prospects is whether or not they believe the West Wing is a documentary.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yeah, she still says she opposes BDS. I guess she thought it was a meaningless message bill showing ~support for Israel~ (which, in her partial defence: no elected official outside Israel, other than POTUS, represents a larger jewish constituency than she does). Still lovely instincts on that question, and I wish she didn't oppose BDS, but I think it means something that she listened to the ACLU on it.

I guess I'll do the Gillibrand post.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there any elected officials in the Democratic party that aren't ridiculous monsters (Kamala Harris, Tulsi Gabbard, etc) or complete idiots (Elizabeth Warren), and are also women or non-white?

You need the former to get young people to vote for you, and you need the latter to get away from the cudgel that the Democratic establishment will use to keep Bernie from winning the primary again.

If no such candidate exists, then I see no reason to even care about 2020.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ChairMaster posted:

Are there any elected officials in the Democratic party that aren't ridiculous monsters (Kamala Harris, Tulsi Gabbard, etc) or complete idiots (Elizabeth Warren), and are also women or non-white?

You need the former to get young people to vote for you, and you need the latter to get away from the cudgel that the Democratic establishment will use to keep Bernie from winning the primary again.

Barbara Lee. If there was any justice in the world, Barbara Lee would be President in 2020.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ChairMaster posted:

The one person who springs to mind when you type all that is Barbara Lee, but I don't see that campaign happening.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Office Pig posted:

A good question for 2020 prospects is whether or not they believe the West Wing is a documentary.

Divide the field between the people who subscribe to Pod Save America and the people who know what Cumtown is.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Willa Rogers posted:

Watch out what you ask for, bc the dude's gonna be branding the dem field with his epigrams.

He's pretty much killed Warren's chances thanks to her biting his bait, he will go all in on Creepy Uncle Joe, and I'm sure he has nicks lined up for the rest of the field, too.
Hey, I did say morbidly curious :haw:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChairMaster posted:

I think Bernie is going to win the primary this time. He has name recognition now and he has a god-given campaign slogan in "Hindsight is 20/20".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bernie needs to demonstrate competency in issues beyond his standard stump speech.