Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Bernie needs to demonstrate competency in issues beyond his standard stump speech.

You've got that backwards. The other candidates need to get.on Bernie's level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bernie needs to demonstrate competency in issues beyond his standard stump speech.

Why are we holding him to a higher standard than the rest of the Democratic Party?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, I'd like Bernie and Joe to just step out of it now, but really be the elder statesman of the party. The Obamas are obviously going to be a big force in 2020, but Bill Clinton needs to gently caress off. I think Joe and Bernie could really have a lot of impact as party elders who represent the various wings of the party united.

I would agree with this, if I thought there was anyone else on the Democratic bench who could beat Trump. Unfortunately, Bernie's kind of it, as far as I can see. Yeah, he's old, but I really don't see how anyone else is going to beat an incumbent with a base that is as unified and enthusiastic as Trump's - even if they make up less than 40% of the population.

Have you, like, not been paying attention to him at all over the past two years? Dude's really engaged quite a bit on racial issues, issues of justice, foreign policy, etc.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it difficult to imagine Bernie losing the primary. Especially if Biden and/or Hillary insist on running and utterly destroying their own political legacies forever.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

• Name: Kirsten Gillibrand
  • Joementum Meter: She didn't stab the Clintons in the back in order to have a long career in the Senate.
  • Age in 2020: 53
  • Major Electoral History: Senator from NY (2009-present), Rep from NY (2007-2009)
  • Medicare for All status?: Co-sponsor. Wrote parts of Bernie's bill. Supported Medicare buy-in in her first run in 2006.
  • Good Dem!: First Senator to endorse a jobs guarantee. First Senator to call to abolish ICE. Postal banking. Financial transactions tax. Refuses corporate PAC money Banning "men", the entire gender. Lowest 538 Trump score in the Senate. If there's a leftist cause célèbre, she's probably signed on to it.
  • Yeah, but: Her record in the House was considerably more conservative than her position in the Senate, and there's the question of whether she really means it or is just sensing where the political winds are blowing.
  • Bad Dem!: As a House member, supported cracking down on unauthorized immigration and had an "A" rating from the NRA. Distressingly pro-Israel. Hillary protégée. As a corporate lawyer, represented Philip Morris.
  • In Her Defense: She legitimately did grow up in and represent a district that was conservative on those issues, and tacked left the exact second she was appointed to the Senate, and she did have some very progressive positions on health care even as a House member from a red district. Is a Senator from New York. Burned the Clinton bridges.

Gillibrand's been cozying up to the capital-L Left for a while, and really making it clear that she wants to be considered for their votes. It's easy to view this as cynical, since she's running for President and might view her path as "the candidate who is acceptable to both the left and the hashtag resistance", but hey, Senators pandering to the Left is better than Senators not pandering to the Left. She's made a lot of waves over the past couple of years by taking visible, gutsy stands: she led the bloc of women Senators who forced Franken out, she called to abolish ICE when no mainstream Dem (or Senators-caucusing-with-the-Democrats) was, picked a visible fight with the Clintons, and has been the most consistent anti-Trump vote in the Senate. Those stands haven't come for free - she's pissed off a lot of folks from Clintonworld and the male Democratic establishment. She's got the stink of Hillary to shake off, and it's not clear that she has, despite her efforts: she views Hillary as a mentor, was appointed to take her Senate seat, and there's always this suspicion that the positions she takes are calculated, not from the heart. She's been making sure to support candidates around the country during the midterms, and despite her polling in low-single digits for the moment, the last couple of years have shown she's got solid political instincts, has a great sense of where the Democratic Party is, and isn't afraid to take risks.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 21, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Guy Goodbody posted:

I find it difficult to imagine Bernie losing the primary. Especially if Biden and/or Hillary insist on running and utterly destroying their own political legacies forever.

well hillary at least has no political legacy left to lose

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really don't think that's good enough. They need to have someone who's a genuinely good person and has policies to reflect it, not just a Clinton-style mirror for whatever policies happen to be popular at the time, be they horribly monstrous and disgusting or humanitarian. Anyone who is strongly pro-Israel in 2018 simply cannot be trusted, they support loving apartheid for god's sake.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There is no loving way that Clinton will run. She would never make it through the invisible primary and she knows it.

Majorian posted:

Have you, like, not been paying attention to him at all over the past two years? Dude's really engaged quite a bit on racial issues, issues of justice, foreign policy, etc.
Cool, I hope that shows in the '20 primary. I hope he is able to give sophisticated debate answers on things like foreign policy that aren't just slightly tweaked versions of his stump speech. In fact, even on the stump speech topics, he needs to have more to say than just rolling out the old chestnuts like "millionaires and billionaires."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
To add to the (cartoonishly) bad she was also a lawyer for big tobacco, still at least her career arc is facing the progressive direction and fundamentally I think the timely sensing of where the political winds are blowing is a quality you want in a politician.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

There is no loving way that Clinton will run. She would never make it through the invisible primary and she knows it.

Cool, I hope that shows in the '20 primary. I hope he is able to give sophisticated debate answers on things like foreign policy that aren't just slightly tweaked versions of his stump speech. In fact, even on the stump speech topics, he needs to have more to say than just rolling out the old chestnuts like "millionaires and billionaires."

Those old chestnuts are completely accurate and every single Democrat politician needs to be repeating those old chestnuts constantly.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

To add to the (cartoonishly) bad she was also a lawyer for big tobacco, still at least her career arc is facing the progressive direction and fundamentally I think the timely sensing of where the political winds are blowing is a quality you want in a politician.
The quality you want in a politician is demonstrated commitment to principles, not being an Etch-a-Sketch.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like, that single message that Bernie hammered constantly is literally the reason he's the most popular politician in America and a frontrunner for the 202 nomination. Why on earth would he drop it now? Purely for the sake of novelty?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Oh yeah, that Philip Morris chestnut seems relevant. Added it, thanks~

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

Sure, but the president of the United States is going to have to be better than that, or it's simply not going to matter. She can be a senator or member of the house or whatever else and I'm sure she'd do just fine and vote for bills that generally aren't horrible. The president isn't even that powerful domestically but they have to do a good job being a figurehead to provide an example of what the country wants and what bills and poo poo the uh, elected "representatives" of the country will actually vote for.

A short-rear end four years after Saint Bernard Sanders was robbed of the presidency by the sociopaths in charge of the DNC is not enough for people to accept a candidate who helped cigarette companies give millions of people cancer and thinks that it's okay to massacre Palestinians.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like, that single message that Bernie hammered constantly is literally the reason he's the most popular politician in America and a frontrunner for the 202 nomination. Why on earth would he drop it now? Purely for the sake of novelty?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those old chestnuts are completely accurate and every single Democrat politician needs to be repeating those old chestnuts constantly.
What the gently caress is this strawman? Are you so dense and rabid that you hear "Bernie's speech needs a little more linguistic variety" from a Bernie supporter and you scream "counter-revolutionary"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We made a rapist president because he said "I feel your pain" with passion. We made a junior Senator president because he gave good speeches. But that Bernie Sanders, he, he needs to burnish his platform, even though his policy proposals are the only reason anyone gives a poo poo about this cranky old man.

Newsflash: almost no president in American history has been elected based on foreign policy. Bernie is non interventionist which makes him better on it than every war criminal who's held that office since FDR and more trustworthy than any Dem who has been in office long enough to have voted for Iraq or literally every Dem currently in Congress who voted for reinstituting sanctions on Iran, which is all of them.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Why are we holding him to a higher standard than the rest of the Democratic Party?

Because they lost?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy Goodbody posted:

See, no, Bernie's going to shoot himself in the back deliberately, because good things are impossible and if Bernie was the obvious frontrunner then the Democratic Party might yet be redeemable, and that's not possible

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

We made a rapist president because he said "I feel your pain" with passion. We made a junior Senator president because he gave good speeches. But that Bernie Sanders, he, he needs to burnish his platform, even though his policy proposals are the only reason anyone gives a poo poo about this cranky old man.

Newsflash: almost no president in American history has been elected based on foreign policy. Bernie is non interventionist which makes him better on it than every war criminal who's held that office since FDR and more trustworthy than any Dem who has been in office long enough to have voted for Iraq or literally every Dem currently in Congress who voted for reinstituting sanctions on Iran, which is all of them.
I wrote about the language in his speeches, not the righteousness of his policy platform, please try to read posts before you throw a temper tantrum over an argument no one is making.

ChairMaster posted:

Sure, but the president of the United States is going to have to be better than that, or it's simply not going to matter. She can be a senator or member of the house or whatever else and I'm sure she'd do just fine and vote for bills that generally aren't horrible. The president isn't even that powerful domestically but they have to do a good job being a figurehead to provide an example of what the country wants and what bills and poo poo the uh, elected "representatives" of the country will actually vote for.
Don't confuse a lack of formal powers for a lack of substantive power. The office may not have things like the absolute veto but the American presidency is the most powerful position in the world if you are capable of deploying its influence correctly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

What the gently caress is this strawman? Are you so dense and rabid that you hear "Bernie's speech needs a little more linguistic variety" from a Bernie supporter and you scream "counter-revolutionary"?

I was assuming you meant he needed to say other things, not that he needed to say the same things but in a different way

Which is still wrong. This isn't a poetry contest. You find messaging that works and you repeat it over and over again. Hope and Change, MAGA. If calling out "millionaires and billionaires" works, you don't switch back and forth between that and calling out " the economically over-privileged" just to spice thinks up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't confuse a lack of formal powers for a lack of substantive power. The office may not have things like the absolute veto but the American presidency is the most powerful position in the world if you are capable of deploying its influence correctly.

That's literally what Chairmaster said

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"I won't listen to Henry Kissinger" was already the the best foreign policy statement in national politics and he's absolutely improved from there.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

The quality you want in a politician is demonstrated commitment to principles, not being an Etch-a-Sketch.

In an ideal world, right now I'll settle for defeating Trump. Gillibrand isn't triangulating, she's taking red meat Democratic positions.

Bernie would be best but with the fate of the world on the line I wouldn't mind having a back up who both holds the right positions and isn't going to shoot themselves in the face like Warren just did. It's worth noting that Gillibrand may have been a blue dog in her late thirties, Warren was a Republican into her late 40s.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's literally what Chairmaster said
Not quite. He's talking about public leadership effects. The powers run a lot deeper than that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not enough to beat trump if we lose to trump 2.0 in 2024 because we got another Obama who does none of the good things they talked about.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

It's worth noting that Gillibrand may have been a blue dog in her late thirties, Warren was a Republican into her late 40s.
Warren didn't hold elective office until her 60s. Gillibrand held Blue Dog positions as a Congresswoman. Biiiig difference.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

In an ideal world, right now I'll settle for defeating Trump.

That was the argument that was supposed to get Clinton elected.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DynamicSloth posted:

ehh, she worked for a giant law firm (davis polk) that had philip morris as a client. it's not like she decided to advocate for them pro bono, she was just doing her job as an associate at a biglaw firm

e: because someone downthread characterized her as a "tobacco attorney," davis polk has nearly 1000 lawyers. the fact that she worked on litigation for PM does not mean that she loves big tobacco any more than the fact that wilmer hale has russian clients means that robert mueller is sabotaging the trump probe

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 21, 2018

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

That was the argument that was supposed to get Clinton elected.

I'd dispute the premise that Clinton is anywhere near as canny a politician as Gillibrand. She had major institutional support and still lost one national primary and barely eked out a win against a man who only intermittently identifies as a member of her party.

Warren didn't hold elective office until her 60s. Gillibrand held Blue Dog positions as a Congresswoman. Biiiig difference.

I don't really see the biiig difference Gillibrand was winning a blue seat in a district with 2:1 Republican registration advantage, Warren was a Harvard dilettante masquerading as a poc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

Warren was a Harvard dilettante masquerading as a poc.
Warren was an eminent law professor who checked a box on an application. The only dilettante here is you.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

I'd dispute the premise that Clinton is anywhere near as canny a politician as Gillibrand. She had major institutional support and still lost one national primary and barely eked out a win against a man who only intermittently identifies as a member of her party.

As big of an idiot as Clinton is, she's nothing compared to the lunatic she was supposed to beat in the general. And she didn't, she staked everything on the idea that Trump could never be elected president and everyone would vote against him even if it meant voting for her. It didn't work, and I think it's a mistake to expect people to vote for a tobacco lawyer who loves apartheid and guns based on the same argument.

Like I said, the POTUS is a different position than senator or house representative, they have to be better than that in 2020. She has to be at least as good as Bernie, the candidate that most young people think of as imperfect but acceptable.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ChairMaster posted:

Are there any elected officials in the Democratic party that aren't ridiculous monsters (Kamala Harris, Tulsi Gabbard, etc) or complete idiots (Elizabeth Warren), and are also women or non-white?

You need the former to get young people to vote for you, and you need the latter to get away from the cudgel that the Democratic establishment will use to keep Bernie from winning the primary again.

If no such candidate exists, then I see no reason to even care about 2020.

Alexandria Ocasia Cortez.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Alexandria Ocasia Cortez.

She won't be old enough to be president in 2020.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Warren was an eminent law professor who checked a box on an application. The only dilettante here is you.

Yes the white Republican lady checked a box and let Harvard get away with pretending they'd diversified a faculty they definitely hadn't. So much better for the cause then destroying the career of John Sweeney.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I see you've already moved the goalposts from "the Harvard law professor was a dilettante" and "she was pretending to be a Person of Color."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Goddam have we got to get our poo poo unified if we expect to get *anybody* elected in 2020.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

As big of an idiot as Clinton is, she's nothing compared to the lunatic she was supposed to beat in the general. And she didn't, she staked everything on the idea that Trump could never be elected president and everyone would vote against him even if it meant voting for her. It didn't work, and I think it's a mistake to expect people to vote for a tobacco lawyer who loves apartheid and guns based on the same argument.

Like I said, the POTUS is a different position than senator or house representative, they have to be better than that in 2020. She has to be at least as good as Bernie, the candidate that most young people think of as imperfect but acceptable.
Like I said I vastly prefer Bernie, but I don't share the American left's preoccupation with betting everything on one great man fixing everything. A movement that depends entirely on one man is a doomed movement. If the Republicans lost Trump tomorrow, there movement would be fine (probably healthier).

Gillibrand is not going to run as a centrist or as a triangulator or generally on the positions she held 12 years ago, she's been very good at adopting the positions favoured by the progressive base and she's not afraid to buck the party to do so. Hillary by contrast was cautious to the point of political malpractice. Trump may not have read a book in the last 2 decades but he followed his instincts and understood the boomer FoxNews viewer mentality perfectly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Goddam have we got to get our poo poo unified if we expect to get *anybody* elected in 2020.

The whole point of primaries is to argue this out. I'm sure everyone here will vote for the Dem candidate in 2020 whoever it is as long as it's not Kamala Harris.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DynamicSloth posted:

Like I said I vastly prefer Bernie, but I don't share the American left's preoccupation with betting everything on one great man fixing everything. A movement that depends entirely on one man is a doomed movement. If the Republicans lost Trump tomorrow, there movement would be fine (probably healthier).

If Bernie is the only candidate then he's the only candidate, and others will have to be made out of younger people in the 4-8 years he has as president. It would be excellent if there was an alternative to take his place, but so far the only ones that compare to him are too young to run or older than he is.

Why should young people trust Gillibrand to not pull an Obama and gently caress everyone over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guy Goodbody posted:

The whole point of primaries is to argue this out. I'm sure everyone here will vote for the Dem candidate in 2020 whoever it is as long as it's not Kamala Harris.

Biden and Booker are both worse than Harris.

Otoh I'm less down on her than some other posters. She's around the point in the ranking where I switch from "I am reasonably happy to vote for this person in the general" to "I will grudgingly vote for this person in the general".

and given more time in the Senate holding good positions, I might like her more, but that's not really a 2020 consideration