Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

he already fell asleep, lost his balance on his perch, freaked out and had to be comforted, and has also pooped on the majority of the things on my desk already so yeah I'm ready for this i think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Faerie Fortune posted:

Guys I finally did it!

Meet Terra!

We just brought him home from the breeder, he's getting settled right now but currently has decided the top of his cage is where he's going to sit and observe his new surroundings. I'm happy just to watch him because he's so dang cute :3:

Congrats! Wanna pet dat bird.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

he already fell asleep, lost his balance on his perch, freaked out and had to be comforted, and has also pooped on the majority of the things on my desk already so yeah I'm ready for this i think!
Yeah that's basically cockatiels :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Faerie Fortune posted:

Poo-tato!!

At least he knows his job in life... poop on stuff, yell a bit, make a mess, poo some more....I want to come back as a bird!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

Guys I finally did it!

Meet Terra!

We just brought him home from the breeder, he's getting settled right now but currently has decided the top of his cage is where he's going to sit and observe his new surroundings. I'm happy just to watch him because he's so dang cute :3:

You have to tell me where you got Terra from. Such a little cutie! :3:

Also, machine gun quaker...that's actually me. Guys, I'm sorry, I'm a quaker parrot.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I pet a birb two weeks ago on my post lunch walk through campus. No pictures though as I was busy petting while watching out to not get bit.

Anyway, have an image from imgur.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

theHUNGERian posted:

I pet a birb two weeks ago on my post lunch walk through campus. No pictures though as I was busy petting while watching out to not get bit.

I love this perfect mugbirb

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That picture is delightful :3: Smart little budgie

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

theHUNGERian posted:

The Enigma of Budgerigara Fault :3:

Edit: I'm sitting here with Pookie preening beside me, and she did the thing where she put her head over her wing to preen her tail, so I did what I always do, which is to try to poke her really gently in the tummy without her seeing me do it because it's quite hard to do. I succeeded and got my hand away, and she slowly put her head up to see what had happened, saw me grinning at her and did this huge, exaggerated 'What shenanigans are THESE??? ' head movement which I am describing very badly but which was very funny. She knows it was me messing with her but she can't prove it :3:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2018

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Day #2 with Terra the cockatiel and he's settling in wonderfully! Everything I read said he might take a couple of weeks to adjust to his new home but he's been tweeting at me to give him outside cage time and sitting on my shoulder since yesterday! The breeder did an amazing job taming him, he's so sweet and affectionate.

Of course, I can't come here posting about baby cockatiels being cute and not post pictures so here's some!!

and I saved the cutest for last...

Look at his floofy little baby wing feathers and his iddy biddy crest and his awkward fluffenchops that haven't fully grown in yet :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And the prophecy said, there shall be birdpoop on the computer display.

Keep enjoying your potate while he's young and cute. One day he will be grown up and play with you more than you play with him!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Faerie Fortune posted:

Day #2 with Terra the cockatiel and he's settling in wonderfully! Everything I read said he might take a couple of weeks to adjust to his new home but he's been tweeting at me to give him outside cage time and sitting on my shoulder since yesterday! The breeder did an amazing job taming him, he's so sweet and affectionate.

Of course, I can't come here posting about baby cockatiels being cute and not post pictures so here's some!!

and I saved the cutest for last...

Look at his floofy little baby wing feathers and his iddy biddy crest and his awkward fluffenchops that haven't fully grown in yet :3:

He's SO HANDSOME and obviously an exceptionally Good Boy too :kimchi:

Does he smell a bit like baby powder? One of my lasting memories of Looloo was that she smelled very pleasant and kind of powdery.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

nielsm posted:

And the prophecy said, there shall be birdpoop on the computer display.

Surprisingly there was not! I'm starting to notice his little dance he does before he poops, so I see him doing the "gotta poo poo shuffle" and try to put him in his cage before he can poop on my things!

Pookah posted:

Does he smell a bit like baby powder? One of my lasting memories of Looloo was that she smelled very pleasant and kind of powdery.

Oh good I thought I was weird for thinking he smelled nice..

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Faerie Fortune posted:

Oh good I thought I was weird for thinking he smelled nice..

Bird smell is totally a thing. I know conures aren't as powdery but they have a distinct odor that I enjoy as a bird crazy. Wet bird smell on the other hand....

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cockatiels smell delightful. Judah was always tolerant and chirpy when I'd bury my nose against the back of his neck and sniff. Eriza, his predecessor, was less so, she was such an angry little potato despite being affectionate, somehow.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
So, Serra turned 1 this week! Cupcakes to celebrate!

And maybe a little bit of breakfast taco.

And maybe a little paracord to keep her occupied while I'm Fortniteing.

Hey, doofus, why are you spending all your time looking for nooks and crannies in my covers?

Oh. That explains it.

So how long until I can steal the egg and have her not make another? One day? One week? Replace it with a ping pong ball?

Edit : She is also not being a food vacuum since the egg was laid. I can’t remember if that’s normal. This is my third cockatiel to lay.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yesss I needed that one embedded.

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Behold, a brave little doofus whose butt fell out four times. They had to keep restitching closer together to stop it from falling out.

Had to say my goodbyes on Saturday morning, knowing that I might not see her again.

Things are apparently holding for now, but "she's not making GBS threads as fast as they would like" in my mother's words, but the vet is "cautiously optimistic". If this doesn't work, next step would be a full hysterectomy, but she isn't a young bird, so it'd be an expensive procedure that might not give her much longer anyway.

So, we'll see.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh no, Murphy :( Get better you pretty bird and FAST :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

So, Serra turned 1 this week! Cupcakes to celebrate!

And maybe a little bit of breakfast taco.

And maybe a little paracord to keep her occupied while I'm Fortniteing.

Hey, doofus, why are you spending all your time looking for nooks and crannies in my covers?

Oh. That explains it.

So how long until I can steal the egg and have her not make another? One day? One week? Replace it with a ping pong ball?

Edit : She is also not being a food vacuum since the egg was laid. I can’t remember if that’s normal. This is my third cockatiel to lay.

Nesty hens will usually eat a whole lot in one go every day or two and nothing else otherwise. Same for poops. Massive poops is a big giveaway sign of a nesty hen.

If you have fake eggs, wait until night and switch one out for her current real one and add extras until she has around the full size of a cockatiel clutch (it'll be around 5-6). She will wake up in the morning and go "wow I laid more eggs without realising! I'm magic!" and adopt them all. Then let her sit on them until she gets bored.

If she has a boyfriend or is otherwise laying fertilised eggs, wait until night, steal her egg, and give it a Real Big Shaking or boil it for a minute, like a regular chook egg. Then give it back to her (once it's cooled down if you boil it). She will not know of your deception and sit on the dead egg until she gets bored. I recommend marking eggs you shake/boil so you know which ones are new and fertile and which ones are old. Let her lay eggs until she has a full clutch. If she's not laying fertile eggs, you can just let her sit on them until she gets a full clutch.

The most important thing is you don't remove eggs from the nest while she's sitting. Cockatiels can count, kind of, and will keep laying eggs until they have a full clutch. If you remove eggs every time she lays, she will keep on laying and wear herself out, in general energy and health as well as calcium (which makes healthy bones) in particular.

She shouldn't stay nesty for more than a few weeks, but it varies from bird to bird. Pre hrt Crouton was perpetually nesty, even with daylight restriction and a low energy diet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Nesty hens will usually eat a whole lot in one go every day or two and nothing else otherwise. Same for poops. Massive poops is a big giveaway sign of a nesty hen.

If you have fake eggs, wait until night and switch one out for her current real one and add extras until she has around the full size of a cockatiel clutch (it'll be around 5-6). She will wake up in the morning and go "wow I laid more eggs without realising! I'm magic!" and adopt them all. Then let her sit on them until she gets bored.

If she has a boyfriend or is otherwise laying fertilised eggs, wait until night, steal her egg, and give it a Real Big Shaking or boil it for a minute, like a regular chook egg. Then give it back to her (once it's cooled down if you boil it). She will not know of your deception and sit on the dead egg until she gets bored. I recommend marking eggs you shake/boil so you know which ones are new and fertile and which ones are old. Let her lay eggs until she has a full clutch. If she's not laying fertile eggs, you can just let her sit on them until she gets a full clutch.

The most important thing is you don't remove eggs from the nest while she's sitting. Cockatiels can count, kind of, and will keep laying eggs until they have a full clutch. If you remove eggs every time she lays, she will keep on laying and wear herself out, in general energy and health as well as calcium (which makes healthy bones) in particular.

She shouldn't stay nesty for more than a few weeks, but it varies from bird to bird. Pre hrt Crouton was perpetually nesty, even with daylight restriction and a low energy diet.

Thank you! The eggs are not fertile, and even though she is the most gentle, non biting bird ever she is always hormonal. It's that age!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
hang in there murphy!

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

So, apparently it looks like the uterus is pushing down on the cloaca, which is stopping the pooping, so it's birdy hysterectomy time.

But, if they go in and there's too much damage for a successful hysterectomy, then I've made the call to not put her through anything else.

I thought I was prepared for this, but I'm not.

If it does go south, I may need to leave the thread for a while, because even looking at pictures makes me tear up. Give all your birds an extra cuddle from me.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Pookah posted:

^^^ If it's any help, I found that letting a new bird out to fly for the first few times worked better in a small room, simply because they didn't have space there to get up to a dangerous speed.
Once they work out steering, avoiding windows and the mysteries of landing without falling over, they're usually ok in a bigger room.

Great suggestion! Took him into the bedroom and got him out of the cage. He seemed pretty chill, spent most of his time plodding around the bed playing with a ball + eating millet. Did one flight attempt where he flew small circles around the small room until he was out of breath and crash landed back in the bed. He's a good baby borb

On the other hand hes began making awfully loud screms at times. Eardrum piercing lasergun screams. He doesn't seems cared or hungry when he does this, more enthusiastic and riled up. Need to learn him some nicer sounds soon or I'll lose it in the longrun...

e:

Patrovsky posted:

So, apparently it looks like the uterus is pushing down on the cloaca, which is stopping the pooping, so it's birdy hysterectomy time.

But, if they go in and there's too much damage for a successful hysterectomy, then I've made the call to not put her through anything else.

If it does go south, I may need to leave the thread for a while, because even looking at pictures makes me tear up. Give all your birds an extra cuddle from me.

:/// Best of luck, hope she pulls through!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Patrovsky posted:

Over here sending much love and positive thoughts her way :unsmith:

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

On the other hand hes began making awfully loud screms at times. Eardrum piercing lasergun screams. He doesn't seems cared or hungry when he does this, more enthusiastic and riled up. Need to learn him some nicer sounds soon or I'll lose it in the longrun...
These are probably because it is SO EXCITING OH MY GOODNESS FLYING IS SO EXCITING

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Just to confirm, Terra does this too especially after he's tried and failed to fly around the room, landed on the floor and has been placed back in his cage for comfort.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Patrovsky posted:

If there is anything us internet strangers can do, just let us know. Portland is rooting for you and your little sweetheart.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

If there is anything us internet strangers can do, just let us know. Portland is rooting for you and your little sweetheart.

I'm hoping for good news, but at the end of the day, she's had a good life, if not as long as I would've liked, and I'd rather she not be in pain.

I know there are some of you in Brisbane, so I suppose I'd better put a plug in for the vet, the Currumbin Valley Bird Vet, who has been phenomenal so far, even if things might not necessarily work out the way that I'd like.

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Sorry to keep getting all maudlin up in the thread.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Patrovsky posted:

Sorry to keep getting all maudlin up in the thread.

There's no need to apologize. This thread is its own small community and part of being a community is commiserating over the bad, not just celebrating the good. We're all here for you and Murphy and hoping for the best as well.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

WICKEDLY A BIRD posted:

There's no need to apologize. This thread is its own small community and part of being a community is commiserating over the bad, not just celebrating the good. We're all here for you and Murphy and hoping for the best as well.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a good outcome.

Apparently the blockage was in the bowel as the result of egg yolk leaking from the uterus, so the damage was a bit too much for it to be viable to fix.

Mum is going to pick her up tomorrow, and they will bury her under a nice tree.

So :shrug:. For the first time in twenty years, I'm birdless.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss, for what its worth coming from a thread newbie.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so sorry :(

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Oh no :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Patrovsky posted:

Apparently the blockage was in the bowel as the result of egg yolk leaking from the uterus, so the damage was a bit too much for it to be viable to fix.

I'm so sorry :(

Take time and allow yourself to grieve and heal, it hurts to lose such a special little friend. Do what you need so you can properly honor her memory

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Patrovsky posted:

i'm so sorry to hear this

take care of yourself ok

losing birds sucks

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
That’s awful and I’m so sorry. You gave that little bird an awesome life and I’m sure you’ll see them again in Valhalla.

Please, vent here if you need to. This thread can be amazingly therapeutic.

We’re thinking of you. Stay strong.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Patrovsky posted:

I'm so, so, so sorry Patrovsky :(

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

To echo everyone here, my heart goes out to you Patrovsky. You did good by Murphy, and I’m so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sorry.