Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I learned to drive in an Oldsmobile Omega. Things I remember about it: Brown. Square. Rust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My friend did a thing

He's a glutton for punishment but he is awesome, this being only one reason

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo.
Want that pilot's helmet, though.
Needs translation. Hand controlled throttle? I guess he couldn't get it into 5th gear?

There are closed captions if you open it on Youtube :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Guinness posted:

My friend did a thing

He's a glutton for punishment but he is awesome, this being only one reason
What engine is it? a 2.7TT I can sort of understand, if it's a diesel, kick him in the balls for being an idiot.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Darchangel posted:

While I'm not sure what's going on with the mecha-bunny, exactly, I like all the technical stuff. Certainly beats the usual anime waifu.

Holy poo poo.
Want that pilot's helmet, though.
Needs translation. Hand controlled throttle? I guess he couldn't get it into 5th gear?

Yeah he couldn't get it into 5th. I really want to know more about the transmission setup they're using, it seems like some kind of clutchless manual. It has to have some kind of RPM-step down. Torque converter with an absurdly high stall?

worth watching all the way to the end though, they loving destroy those tires hahahah

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

InitialDave posted:

What engine is it? a 2.7TT I can sort of understand, if it's a diesel, kick him in the balls for being an idiot.

Yeah it’s the 2.7TT.

It’s already had the air suspension replaced with regular non-air suspension.

Fortunately my friend is a formerly-professional mechanic. Now he gets his rocks off maintaining mechanical nightmares of his own.

He is already dreaming of engine swaps for when the 2.7 inevitably sheds it mortal coil. He’s pretty AI.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Yeah he couldn't get it into 5th. I really want to know more about the transmission setup they're using, it seems like some kind of clutchless manual. It has to have some kind of RPM-step down. Torque converter with an absurdly high stall?

worth watching all the way to the end though, they loving destroy those tires hahahah

If it’s a dual-spool turbine (which it almost certainly is,) you can just bolt the transmission input shaft to the low pressure turbine and go. It’ll be horribly inefficient, but it’ll make power.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ashley DeLuca, whose AZ-1 was on Leno's Garage a couple months ago, took it to Laguna Seca:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

This lives on the street a couple blocks down from me.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

bennyfactor posted:

When I was a kid in the 80s, my dad went through two Chevettes. Then, in 1987, he "upgraded" to a used Citation. All three had a terrifying number of holes rusted in their floor pans, I'm amazed that dad never accidentally went Fred Flintstone on any of them.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

bennyfactor posted:

There's a mint loving X-11 around the corner from the Goodwill up the street I sometimes just go look at

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

There are closed captions if you open it on Youtube :)

I did, but I couldn’t get English or auto-translate for some reason.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Waldstein Sonata posted:

When I was a kid in the 80s, my dad went through two Chevettes. Then, in 1987, he "upgraded" to a used Citation. All three had a terrifying number of holes rusted in their floor pans, I'm amazed that dad never accidentally went Fred Flintstone on any of them.

What's weird to me is the bizarro world of UK cars where the Chevette is some kind of legend? What? But no, I know people who in all seriousness proclaim the Chevette as One Of The Greatest Cars of its Era. I'm like, you're having a laugh right? Apparently it won some rallies or something? I still don't believe it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Finger Prince posted:

What's weird to me is the bizarro world of UK cars where the Chevette is some kind of legend? What? But no, I know people who in all seriousness proclaim the Chevette as One Of The Greatest Cars of its Era. I'm like, you're having a laugh right? Apparently it won some rallies or something? I still don't believe it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Chevettes, even when new, were made of disappointment and regret. Vile little cars and I'm glad they're now mostly piles of rust and shame.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The last time I saw a Chevette in the wild was in the late 90s, and it was about 200 feet below a cliff-side road on its side wedged against trees.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
are we talkin a 125k miles car here?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A Chevette lasting 50k without holes in the floorboards or the rocker panels is a goddamn miracle.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

If it’s a dual-spool turbine (which it almost certainly is,) you can just bolt the transmission input shaft to the low pressure turbine and go. It’ll be horribly inefficient, but it’ll make power.

Most likely a turboshaft, like so:

The power turbine is its own separate thing, and acts like a torque converter. The green parts in the diagram are a jet engine, the blue thing is spun by the jet exhaust, and goes to the transmission. That's how helicopters and that '60s Chrysler concept car work, anyway. Edit: also American tanks and a lot of big backup electrical generators.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 21, 2018

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Darchangel posted:

"I want the shittiest car GM made outside of the J-body."
I mean, the opinions expresses vis-a-vis airbags and infotainment are not unique, but X-bodies?

There was an episode of the 80s Ghostbusters cartoon where they are hired by a car manufacturer to remove gremlins from one of their factories. They had reopened a shuttered WWII bomber factory to manufacture a new line of cars, all of which start to malfunction and self destruct.

The car company was called Generous Motors, the cars were the Y-car.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Most likely a turboshaft, like so:

The power turbine is its own separate thing, and acts like a torque converter. The green parts in the diagram are a jet engine, the blue thing is spun by the jet exhaust, and goes to the transmission. That's how helicopters and that '60s Chrysler concept car work, anyway. Edit: also American tanks and a lot of big backup electrical generators.

...Which is exactly what I said?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

INCHI DICKARI posted:

There's a mint loving X-11 around the corner from the Goodwill up the street I sometimes just go look at

The toyota minitruck class C in the backyard of that house (just barely visible in my photo) makes me think of you when I see it, so back atcha.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

2-spool engines are different from turboshafts. In a 2-spool, the 2nd (outer) turbine drives the first compressor stage, so it has to spin at a speed appropriate for that compressor. You can bolt a shaft to that, but it'll slow the first compression stage way down and kill your power until shaft speed rises, pretty much the opposite of what you want in a car.

In a turboshaft, the 2nd (or whatever, the last one) turbine has the sole purpose of driving the shaft and doesn't affect engine operation in any way. You can full-throttle the engine and leave it there, but accelerate and brake at your leisure, and you'll always have full power available from the power turbine. Basically picture bolting a turbo on a piston engine, but piping the air off somewhere else instead of feeding it to the intake; the engine will run the same regardless of what the turbo is doing.

Some turboprops run the propeller off the same turbine as the first compressor stage, but the prop runs at a pretty steady speed so you can put an appropriate gearbox between the two. Not so with a car where the load speed is fairly often zero, and has a much wider range of operating speeds than the turbine would otherwise.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

There was an episode of the 80s Ghostbusters cartoon where they are hired by a car manufacturer to remove gremlins from one of their factories. They had reopened a shuttered WWII bomber factory to manufacture a new line of cars, all of which start to malfunction and self destruct.

The car company was called Generous Motors, the cars were the Y-car.

But Gremlins were AMC. :D
(And Y-bodies are Corvettes or the 60-64 Skylark/F-85 Cutlass/Tempest)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Kenny from the Block just unveiled his newest Gymkhana toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgqyzQY9gks

:allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That is a very lovely looking machine but it should have been a 2 minute video. I don't wanna see them gab about it, I wanna see it driven. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i dont get it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i dont get it

They jacked that Jeep up and slid the timber under it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TRAIL RATED

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I like this.

(link in case it doesn't work: https://i.imgur.com/kKEPCmO.gifv)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

They jacked that Jeep up and slid the timber under it.
I don't doubt it, but how can you tell?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fifty Three posted:

Because it’s a Liberty

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

builds character posted:

I like this.

(link in case it doesn't work: https://i.imgur.com/kKEPCmO.gifv)
*Does the Homer Simpson shtick of winding the radio receiver indicator to the other end of dial*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fifty Three posted:

It's how they do it at the local dealership.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

You Am I posted:

*Does the Homer Simpson shtick of winding the radio receiver indicator to the other end of dial*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have a lazy half million spare?

https://www.nortnortham.com/1970_Ferrari_Dino%20246GTL_Winter%20Park_FL_24162990.veh

quote:

European 1970 Dino 246GT-L. Total five-year restoration in the 90's, documented with receipts and photos. This Dino is a rare "L" model, 200 pounds lighter than the other steel-bodied Dino 246 with an alloy body. One-off air conditioning from a Ferrari 308, looks factory.

This car is rumored to be their Paris Show Car, although no documentation is available as proof.

This car features an alloy body, knock-off hubs, fifteen additional European horsepower, and a total restoration.

I'm no Ferrari dude but that seems pretty drat good to me. How hard would it be to get it back to factory spec (delete the aircon for example) and confirm its provenance with the manufacturer?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Memento posted:

Anyone have a lazy half million spare?

https://www.nortnortham.com/1970_Ferrari_Dino%20246GTL_Winter%20Park_FL_24162990.veh

I'm no Ferrari dude but that seems pretty drat good to me. How hard would it be to get it back to factory spec (delete the aircon for example) and confirm its provenance with the manufacturer?

If the engine breaks irreparably, you could always stick a F40 engine in it. I'm sure those are easy to get your hands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65mCfloU4hw

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Brony Car posted:

If the engine breaks irreparably, you could always stick a F40 engine in it. I'm sure those are easy to get your hands on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65mCfloU4hw

ARTY SHOTS / quick cuts and horrific overlaid music is the best way for me to close tab. Fuuuuuuuuuucking hell they ruined what should have been the best video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.instagram.com/1955_chupacabra/