Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are goths and emos still a thing???

Yes, juggalos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shitenshi posted:

You're the same person who thinks people need to stop criticizing those who say, "It's okay to be white," you buy into the right-wing bogeyman of safe spaces and trigger warnings, and once argued on the Walking Dead thread that Dov Charney didn't rape anyone, he just coerced them. Being called a PC baby by you is a badge of honor.

While it's not something I ever thought of, I have no problem with "It's okay to be white." That's not white power, that's just.. uh.. it's okay to be what you are? It's something Mr. Rogers could say for Christ's sake.

And also it's not a right wing boogeyman that makes me think Safe Spaces and Trigger Warnings are total pussifications of people that need a loving backbone, it's the fact I see them brought up on the left all the time. I love this whole left/right doublethink where it's "We demand safe spaces and trigger warnings," then "The right boogeyman created safe spaces and trigger warnings."

For what it's worth the right side of politics also consists of huge loving assholes. I hate both fringes so much right now and I guess so does Parker & Stone from what I've seen so far.

ED: I also loving hate authoritarians. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, left or right, if you think you can force people to conform to your moral compass and claim them as the devil if they don't, or worse (like ruining their lives) you're a loving rear end in a top hat. I've seen too many of that type on the internet lately.

My biggest problem with the left is they want to dictate what everyone should do, claim anyone who doesn't is a fascist nazi and also claim there can be no discussion on it since free speech is 'dangerous.' So the irony is everyone that thinks that way is actually closer to fascism than the pricks they criticize, and it's why I think it's a serious problem.

Hell I got my avatar from people who couldn't stand the fact I refused to think deplatforming and pulling fire alarms like babies instead of debating bad people makes the reasonable left lumped in with a bunch of screaming children and hurts us all. Said people also don't believe that kind of thing is pushing more people to the right or at least away from voting left and as an actual left learner, I think I hate them even more; they don't seem able to grasp they're making things worse for us who want to see the Republicans out of power. We're not going to see sweeping Democratic victories until they denounce these morons, and they won't, so enjoy steaming Republican poo poo from endless assholes I guess.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 20, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It doesn't matter if the Democrats denounce those morons, the Republicans won't care.

Though what does matter is the Democrats actually running on policies people care about, instead they hemm and haw on Medicare for All when 70% of Democrat voters and 50% of Republican voters support it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hmmmmmmm I do have to wonder.. how did 'gay' come to mean 'lame' and 'fag' come to mean 'dick'??? :thunk:

I think "gay" became "something I don't like"* and "fag" meant "someone I don't like."

*Decades ago, I actually had a teacher who noted that "gay" was contemporaneously being used to mean "happy," the aforementioned "something I don't like," and a 3rd thing that I can't remember because it was so long ago. :shrug:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i just looked to see what you're talking about, and you got probated for referring to AAVE as "urban patois" and giving examples of it that were straight out of an A Wyatt Mann comic, you absolute loving dunce

like, you do realize the joke of that R&M bit was that Jerry had no clue what he was talking about, right? things he says in that bit are probably not things you should repeat divorced from context

I really don't want to get into it again in this thread, but the point I was trying to make was that I was borrowing the phrase from another TV show I watch because I'm a nerd who quotes TV shows and movies all the time, and I meant nothing beyond that, however of course anyone else is free to interpret it however they want. The rest of the episode had no bearing on what was being discussed (which was Brett Kavanaugh and boofing, of all loving things.)

I had no idea what "A Wyatt Mann" was before you brought it up here. :shrug:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Atomizer posted:

*Decades ago, I actually had a teacher who noted that "gay" was contemporaneously being used to mean "happy," the aforementioned "something I don't like," and a 3rd thing that I can't remember because it was so long ago. :shrug:

Homosexual, perhaps?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Homosexual, perhaps?

Oh you sweet magnificent bastard, that's it! :doh:

In my defense, it was like 20 years ago and right now I'm working overnight so I'm a little fried, but you're totally right, that was the 2nd "gay" thing he mentioned.

Happy -> homosexual -> hate.... :smith:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

While it's not something I ever thought of, I have no problem with "It's okay to be white." That's not white power, that's just.. uh.. it's okay to be what you are? It's something Mr. Rogers could say for Christ's sake.

The only people who say "It's okay to be white," are literal white supremacists and others. If you want to be proud of your culture, take pride in being British, Scottish, Irish, German, French, whatever. But before you harp on the black power movement, it's acceptable for black people who were ripped from their culture in slavery to take pride in their blackness because a lot of them don't understand where they came from and their skin color in a marginalized society, something they're hated for, is something they learn to take pride in. Most of them don't know if they're Yoruba or Hause or what, they just know they're black and people hate them for that so they learn not to hate themselves for it. Even still, almost two hundred years of oppression has taken them away from their roots and for better or worse, their place in America warts and all is all they know.

Blazing Ownager posted:

And also it's not a right wing boogeyman that makes me think Safe Spaces and Trigger Warnings are total pussifications of people that need a loving backbone, it's the fact I see them brought up on the left all the time. I love this whole left/right doublethink where it's "We demand safe spaces and trigger warnings," then "The right boogeyman created safe spaces and trigger warnings."

No, it's only right wingers who make a big deal about safe spaces and trigger warnings. It's a front to cry about how academia is dominated by liberals and we need more conservative professors, like how they've been doing it for over the past ten years. It's also a cover to hide real campus problems like how nobody gives a poo poo about rape. Get angry about that, not this smokescreen.

Of course, you don't actually understand the purpose of safe spaces and trigger warnings to begin with. People allow for content warnings on books and movies, that's all trigger warnings actually are. Safe spaces are literally just supposed to be refuge for those who feel unsafe and in need of comfort. Obviously nothing works out perfectly and in an environment of vulnerable people problems are gonna arise, but you are completely being led by the string when you buy into this poo poo as today's big problem as much as you do.

Blazing Ownager posted:

For what it's worth the right side of politics also consists of huge loving assholes. I hate both fringes so much right now and I guess so does Parker & Stone from what I've seen so far.

ED: I also loving hate authoritarians. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, left or right, if you think you can force people to conform to your moral compass and claim them as the devil if they don't, or worse (like ruining their lives) you're a loving rear end in a top hat. I've seen too many of that type on the internet lately.

Both sides are at fault, both sides.

Blazing Ownager posted:

My biggest problem with the left is they want to dictate what everyone should do, claim anyone who doesn't is a fascist nazi and also claim there can be no discussion on it since free speech is 'dangerous.' So the irony is everyone that thinks that way is actually closer to fascism than the pricks they criticize, and it's why I think it's a serious problem.

No, coming down hard on assholes doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat, next you're gonna tell me that beating the poo poo out of a wife beater makes you a wife beater. HMMMM. For all the way uninformed morons go on about the horrors of Antifa, this year's Unite the Right rally was cancelled because these people literally said they were scared shitless of Antifa. What do you think is the problem here, right wingers gathering together and actually killing someone or people banding together to stop these people?

Free speech is also the biggest bullshit concept I've ever heard, especially when it's weaponized by the right to popularize it that they're just trying to have a civil argument in the mArKeTpLaCe Of IdEaS. One side tries to legitimize its bullshit with saying they just want a debate, and people in the past and today actually use science to try and justify why people of different races and genders are inferior, no we shouldn't allow that to pass because there are way too many dipshits out there who think that is just fine and dandy. Hell Ken Ham was just some idiotic nobody until Bill Nye public platformed him and though everyone of sound mind think Nye won, Ham still got far too much coverage and funding from people after said debate to get far more power than he originally had. Being in a civil debate with these people tries to make them look more decent than they are, you need to cut it off at the quick. Maher wasn't going to give Yiannopoulos any grief when he compared gay people to sociopathy, it took Larry Wilmore to actually stand up to him. Calling them shitfuckers and be done with it. Even if you agree to the pretense of a debate just to insult them, they'll double down about how they're unfairly oppressed and the cycle continues. It took tapes of Milo advocating for pedophilia to get the right to disown him, otherwise his stint on Maher would have just worked in his favor.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Hell I got my avatar from people who couldn't stand the fact I refused to think deplatforming and pulling fire alarms like babies instead of debating bad people makes the reasonable left lumped in with a bunch of screaming children and hurts us all. Said people also don't believe that kind of thing is pushing more people to the right or at least away from voting left and as an actual left learner, I think I hate them even more; they don't seem able to grasp they're making things worse for us who want to see the Republicans out of power. We're not going to see sweeping Democratic victories until they denounce these morons, and they won't, so enjoy steaming Republican poo poo from endless assholes I guess.

Oh my god, you're actually claiming that we got Trump because of the SJWs. What's really the problem isn't the party of literal white supremacists, Nazis, pedophiles, wife beaters, rapists, child abusers, and a whole plethora of others, it's those gosh darn people who get oversensitive about everything! So it's completely justified that we need to make a big deal and get oversensitive about those oversensitive people amirite!? Are you actually telling me that almost half of Alabama voting for Roy Moore despite all the poo poo stinking off him is because of a bunch of triggered tumblr people? Get the gently caress out of here. I've even seen so-called liberals claiming they voted for Trump because they believed there was a serious SJW problem. Trust me, when he runs on a campaign of racism and sexism, SJWs are not the problem.

PS. Deplatforming works. Milo Yiannopoulos and those like him aren't interested in a debate, they want to gain recognition for their ideas and become stronger. Milo in particular has on every opportunity used his platform to single out transgender students for harassment, Steven Crowder's idea of debate is based on making GBS threads on transgender and nonbinary people. You wouldn't feel the need to debate anyone who said, "Black people are only 3/4 of a person CHANGE MY MIND," the same logic applies here. The only thing the right has when it's denied a debate its caricature of debate is outreach, what the left loses when they give in is to literally risk jeopardizing peoples' lives. And Milo is now literally reduced to whining on the internet that nobody likes him anymore, that's actually progress. poo poo, literally loving Hitler used the idea of just wanting a simple debate to spread his ideas that the Jews were responsible for everything wrong in Germany and when people criticized him, he and his bros made political cartoons of him with tape over his mouth as some kind of unfairly censored free speech warrior. The only one in the way progress is you and those like you when you say you hate the far-left more than the far-right because surprise surprise, most civil and social reformers don't do things with a gentle touch, they're rude as hell. MLK and his followers would publicly blockade roads to get their way, because the racist social order wouldn't take him seriously.

PPS. You still think Dov Charney isn't a rapist, he just "coerced" his workers under him to suck his dick when he threatened their livelihoods. is this guy for real

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's ok to be goon

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Shitenshi posted:

The only people who say "It's okay to be white," are literal white supremacists and others. If you want to be proud of your culture, take pride in being British, Scottish, Irish, German, French, whatever. But before you harp on the black power movement, it's acceptable for black people who were ripped from their culture in slavery to take pride in their blackness because a lot of them don't understand where they came from and their skin color in a marginalized society, something they're hated for, is something they learn to take pride in. Most of them don't know if they're Yoruba or Hause or what, they just know they're black and people hate them for that so they learn not to hate themselves for it. Even still, almost two hundred years of oppression has taken them away from their roots and for better or worse, their place in America warts and all is all they know.

No, it's only right wingers who make a big deal about safe spaces and trigger warnings. It's a front to cry about how academia is dominated by liberals and we need more conservative professors, like how they've been doing it for over the past ten years. It's also a cover to hide real campus problems like how nobody gives a poo poo about rape. Get angry about that, not this smokescreen.

Of course, you don't actually understand the purpose of safe spaces and trigger warnings to begin with. People allow for content warnings on books and movies, that's all trigger warnings actually are. Safe spaces are literally just supposed to be refuge for those who feel unsafe and in need of comfort. Obviously nothing works out perfectly and in an environment of vulnerable people problems are gonna arise, but you are completely being led by the string when you buy into this poo poo as today's big problem as much as you do.

No, coming down hard on assholes doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat, next you're gonna tell me that beating the poo poo out of a wife beater makes you a wife beater. HMMMM. For all the way uninformed morons go on about the horrors of Antifa, this year's Unite the Right rally was cancelled because these people literally said they were scared shitless of Antifa. What do you think is the problem here, right wingers gathering together and actually killing someone or people banding together to stop these people?

Free speech is also the biggest bullshit concept I've ever heard, especially when it's weaponized by the right to popularize it that they're just trying to have a civil argument in the mArKeTpLaCe Of IdEaS. One side tries to legitimize its bullshit with saying they just want a debate, and people in the past and today actually use science to try and justify why people of different races and genders are inferior, no we shouldn't allow that to pass because there are way too many dipshits out there who think that is just fine and dandy. Hell Ken Ham was just some idiotic nobody until Bill Nye public platformed him and though everyone of sound mind think Nye won, Ham still got far too much coverage and funding from people after said debate to get far more power than he originally had. Being in a civil debate with these people tries to make them look more decent than they are, you need to cut it off at the quick. Maher wasn't going to give Yiannopoulos any grief when he compared gay people to sociopathy, it took Larry Wilmore to actually stand up to him. Calling them shitfuckers and be done with it. Even if you agree to the pretense of a debate just to insult them, they'll double down about how they're unfairly oppressed and the cycle continues. It took tapes of Milo advocating for pedophilia to get the right to disown him, otherwise his stint on Maher would have just worked in his favor.

Oh my god, you're actually claiming that we got Trump because of the SJWs. What's really the problem isn't the party of literal white supremacists, Nazis, pedophiles, wife beaters, rapists, child abusers, and a whole plethora of others, it's those gosh darn people who get oversensitive about everything! So it's completely justified that we need to make a big deal and get oversensitive about those oversensitive people amirite!? Are you actually telling me that almost half of Alabama voting for Roy Moore despite all the poo poo stinking off him is because of a bunch of triggered tumblr people? Get the gently caress out of here. I've even seen so-called liberals claiming they voted for Trump because they believed there was a serious SJW problem. Trust me, when he runs on a campaign of racism and sexism, SJWs are not the problem.

PS. Deplatforming works. Milo Yiannopoulos and those like him aren't interested in a debate, they want to gain recognition for their ideas and become stronger. Milo in particular has on every opportunity used his platform to single out transgender students for harassment, Steven Crowder's idea of debate is based on making GBS threads on transgender and nonbinary people. You wouldn't feel the need to debate anyone who said, "Black people are only 3/4 of a person CHANGE MY MIND," the same logic applies here. The only thing the right has when it's denied a debate its caricature of debate is outreach, what the left loses when they give in is to literally risk jeopardizing peoples' lives. And Milo is now literally reduced to whining on the internet that nobody likes him anymore, that's actually progress. poo poo, literally loving Hitler used the idea of just wanting a simple debate to spread his ideas that the Jews were responsible for everything wrong in Germany and when people criticized him, he and his bros made political cartoons of him with tape over his mouth as some kind of unfairly censored free speech warrior. The only one in the way progress is you and those like you when you say you hate the far-left more than the far-right because surprise surprise, most civil and social reformers don't do things with a gentle touch, they're rude as hell. MLK and his followers would publicly blockade roads to get their way, because the racist social order wouldn't take him seriously.

PPS. You still think Dov Charney isn't a rapist, he just "coerced" his workers under him to suck his dick when he threatened their livelihoods. is this guy for real

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

FuriousxGeorge posted:

BIG rear end loving IMAGE

Mate, I am reprimanding someone who thinks we shouldn't call Dov Charney a rapist because threatening to fire and blacklist someone unless they suck your dick isn't rape, it's just coercion. That's not even getting into how my discussion with him had nothing to do with the drat show to begin with. Do you have anything to add besides proving you're every bit the dumbass I pegged you for?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Reprimanding people in the south park thread rofl.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Kinda watching out of habit at this point but South Park has been pretty bad for the last few years. This weeks' ep was pretty funny but the Mr Hankey one didn't appear to have any jokes and just seemed like one huge whiny rant about people not finding some stuff funny anymore

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quote-Unquote posted:

Kinda watching out of habit at this point but South Park has been pretty bad for the last few years. This weeks' ep was pretty funny but the Mr Hankey one didn't appear to have any jokes and just seemed like one huge whiny rant about people not finding some stuff funny anymore

Yes. You actually seem to know what you are talking about. And you aren't going on for pages at a time to make your point that is unrelated to the show.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I genuinely thought any potential effortposts following this episode would be about vaping, but here we are :shrug:

Also, can someone explain the Tegridy-joke to me? Do weed farmers in the US actually honor-duel over integrity, or what am I missing there?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:five:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shitenshi posted:

Jesus loving christ dude. Take your medicine.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shitenshi posted:

... the statement you created and continue to wail on (nobody else was saying it) is "It's okay to be white." Not "It's the best to be white," or "It's ideal to be white." It's, again, it's okay to be white. The fact you think that is the sentiment of a white supremacist - that it's okay to be whatever race you were born, including that one - it brain imploding.

Shitenshi posted:

No, safe spaces and trigger warnings are an attempt to censor society so not to offend weak-skinned pussies, quite frankly. Since we're in the South Park thread let's get a little music for the rest of this post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

Shitenshi posted:

There's content warnings on books and movies for children. The ratings system is entirely designed around age restriction. I can't stress this enough, you want to be treated like a literal child who's not emotionally advanced enough to handle adult concepts in content, including just objectively talking about actual reality and not fiction and that is the dumbest loving thing I can imagine.

The closest thing I can think of beyond that is warnings for seizures. If saying someone someone didn't like could send them into a mouth foaming, tongue biting seizure, maybe I'd feel more sympathy.

Shitenshi posted:

Coming down hard on assholes in an assholeish manner does, in fact, make you an rear end in a top hat. Attacking an rear end in a top hat doesn't make you a saint. You get two pricks in a bar that start a fight and injury a half dozen nearby people, does it matter who's right? They're both assholes.

As for Antifa, have you ever actually watched just unedited footage of anything they've ever done? They alternate between extremely racist fucks, screaming children and youth looking for any reason for a street brawl. They think the way to make problems go away is to make society mute everything they don't like so they can pretend it doesn't exist.

Children do poo poo like scream over people and pull fire alarms. They are loving children.

Shitenshi posted:

Free speech is also the biggest bullshit concept I've ever heard,

... the funny thing is people all around the internet will tell me people like you don't exist, and that the Alt Right made you up. Are you an Alt Right sock puppet, trying to give the ammunition by acting like their enemy?

Also can I remind you of the dumb as gently caress logic behind this, and why I actually think this mindset is more dangerous than the Alt-Right: Because who the gently caress gets to decide who does the deplatforming? I mean today you have the freedom of speech to discuss the idea of deplatforming for all the reasons you think it's important. But you've seen your enemies learn fast, right? Because who the gently caress is going to protect you when the political wheel turns and they want to deplatform YOU?

That's a scary thing. You act like "We can deplatform the Bad People (TM) because they are clearly Bad People (TM)" but nobody died and made you the king of right and wrong and tomorrow, who knows will be leading that charge. Attacking free speech is the biggest loving thing that hardliners on the left are doing wrong. Oh I'm sorry those people don't exist (except the ones I keep talking to, apparently)

Shitenshi posted:

especially when it's weaponized by the right to popularize it that they're just trying to have a civil argument in the mArKeTpLaCe Of IdEaS. One side tries to legitimize its bullshit with saying they just want a debate, and people in the past and today actually use science to try and justify why people of different races and genders are inferior, no we shouldn't allow that to pass because there are way too many dipshits out there who think that is just fine and dandy.

Did you ever hear of, I don't know, debating those people with actual scientific point to refute them? You know, make them look like idiots, like we used to do?

No? Rather scream a slogan over and over and pull the fire alarm? Boy, you sure are winning over the general public and not at all making them turn against you and vote further and further right. Can't see a link there at all! :mystery:

Shitenshi posted:

Hell Ken Ham was just some idiotic nobody until Bill Nye public platformed him and though everyone of sound mind think Nye won, Ham still got far too much coverage and funding from people after said debate to get far more power than he originally had. Being in a civil debate with these people tries to make them look more decent than they are, you need to cut it off at the quick. Maher wasn't going to give Yiannopoulos any grief when he compared gay people to sociopathy, it took Larry Wilmore to actually stand up to him. Calling them shitfuckers and be done with it. Even if you agree to the pretense of a debate just to insult them, they'll double down about how they're unfairly oppressed and the cycle continues. It took tapes of Milo advocating for pedophilia to get the right to disown him, otherwise his stint on Maher would have just worked in his favor.

I've only seen that Milo douche around a few times. See, we can agree the guy is a douchebag (as is the alt-right, I have zero love for them either) but your own words, he got disowned for bullshit pedo stuff not from your 'deplatforming' campaign. The only reason I ever heard of this prick was because of all the people protesting him. I'd never even known he existed otherwise. The few times I did see him he was easily crushed by anyone with even a fundamental level of education and high school level debating skills.

Shitenshi posted:

Oh my god, you're actually claiming that we got Trump because of the SJWs.

A huge chunk of it, yeah. The biggest deciding factor was loving over Sanders for Hillary loving Clinton. A rewarmed corpse could have beaten Trump, but she's less likable than that.

But the big push of people to the right? Yeah, it's coming from the left trying to tell people what to think under threat of having their lives ruined and all the other bullshit happening. It's also coming from the fact that people on the hard left as so far hard left that ANYTHING in disagreement is automatically filed as alt-right..

Shitenshi posted:

What's really the problem isn't the party of literal white supremacists, Nazis, pedophiles, wife beaters, rapists, child abusers, and a whole plethora of others, it's those gosh darn people who get oversensitive about everything!

First I hate to break it to you but if you ever want to win, you need Republicans to cross back to the Democrats. Are a lot of them kind of racist dicks? Sure. But this blanket statement about all Republicans are basically keeping them from coming back over and the left's sentiment is "Good, gently caress 'em, we don't need 'em!" But we do need them. We need them badly, or we, again, will keep losing. Hard.

And second the reason that party is gaining so much strength is again, people do not like being screeched and told what to do. My concern isn't being told what to do, it's that this self-righteous censorship via deplatforming of all you disagree with is one of the most dangerous political ideas to ever gain traction since I've been alive. I don't always agree with what the morality police believe now, but the very people you hate will wield this weapon if it stays viable.

It's all fun and :smug: until a few years from now when the new trend is deplatforming SJWs.

Shitenshi posted:

So it's completely justified that we need to make a big deal and get oversensitive about those oversensitive people amirite!? Are you actually telling me that almost half of Alabama voting for Roy Moore despite all the poo poo stinking off him is because of a bunch of triggered tumblr people? Get the gently caress out of here. I've even seen so-called liberals claiming they voted for Trump because they believed there was a serious SJW problem. Trust me, when he runs on a campaign of racism and sexism, SJWs are not the problem.

I absolutely love the mental disconnection you have here. You outright admit that SJWs got votes for Trump, then immediately say they're not the problem.

How can you literally experience the problem first hand then go on to say there's no problem!?

Shitenshi posted:

PS. Deplatforming works. Milo Yiannopoulos and those like him aren't interested in a debate, they want to gain recognition for their ideas and become stronger. Milo in particular has on every opportunity used his platform to single out transgender students for harassment, Steven Crowder's idea of debate is based on making GBS threads on transgender and nonbinary people.

Except, no, debating these fuckwits DOES discredit them. They, as you say, want to gain recognition. I absolutely believe that Milo douche was a troll. The problem is every single time you people show up to start screaming slogans and refusing to act like adults, THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT. You are feeding the trolls with this poo poo. They WANT a bunch of mindless people screaming 3 slogans over and over and completely disrupting things. It makes people with AWFUL ideas look good by comparison and they don't even have to speak!

What doesn't make them look good? Competent counter debate. Research. Being able to listen to their point, deconstruct it, and break down why it's bullshit.

Shitenshi posted:

You wouldn't feel the need to debate anyone who said, "Black people are only 3/4 of a person CHANGE MY MIND," the same logic applies here.

If the person had an audience that believe them, yeah, I would feel the need to debate that. Because it's easily provable and ridiculously simple to make such a person look like a loving moron.

Just screeching at them, blowing air horns and chanting wouldn't accomplish that.

Shitenshi posted:

The only thing the right has when it's denied a debate its caricature of debate is outreach, what the left loses when they give in is to literally risk jeopardizing peoples' lives.

Is this more 'words are violence' poo poo? :eyeroll:

I've seen this opinion that if you debate assholes rather than give them what they want by acting like screaming children, PEOPLE WILL DIE. What the flying gently caress.

Shitenshi posted:

And Milo is now literally reduced to whining on the internet that nobody likes him anymore, that's actually progress.

You seem really fixated on a guy who got kicked to being a footnote over being a lying pedo by his own party, yet keep acting like the noble art of deplatforming is what got rid of him. It's not.

I don't get how someone can look directly at something, explain why they actually got ruined, then go on to act like they got ruined by something else entirely.

Shitenshi posted:

poo poo, literally loving Hitler used the idea of just wanting a simple debate to spread his ideas that the Jews were responsible for everything wrong in Germany and when people criticized him, he and his bros made political cartoons of him with tape over his mouth as some kind of unfairly censored free speech warrior.

So let me get this straight. Your argument is:
- In Germany, Hitler had terrible ideas.
- Hitler wanted to debate said terrible ideas.
- Nobody wanted to debate Hitler for his terrible ideas, but instead censor him.
- Hitler played on said censorship
- .... you know the rest

I mean what you just said only backs up my point. Maybe, just maybe, if smart people debated and routinely trashed Hitler in debate, he'd be known as a failed painter and we could have prevented WW2? Is that your point? It's not like I can't see another leader playing on moral censorship to expand their base.. :trumppop:

Shitenshi posted:

The only one in the way progress is you and those like you when you say you hate the far-left more than the far-right because surprise surprise, most civil and social reformers don't do things with a gentle touch, they're rude as hell. MLK and his followers would publicly blockade roads to get their way, because the racist social order wouldn't take him seriously.

The problem is the so called 'social reformers' are short cited children that took a few social justice classes and now think they are on a crusade to change the world, without a seeming thought in their head about every reaction having an equal and inverse reaction. Today you think you're king of the world deplatforming people and smugly deciding right from wrong. Tomorrow, it might be the Ultra-Alt-Right deplatforming you while smugly saying you are the morally impure one.

They adopt every tactic, and use it more effectively. You're giving them a nuclear weapon with this deplatforming poo poo. It's why I am so alarmed about this; I don't agree with how it's being used now but I see potential for it to become something worse than you can apparently conceive of.

No matter how bad you think someone is, if society adopts a "They are wrong because they are wrong and I am right because I am right" gauge and uses that gauge to decide who has a voice, we're going down a really dark road. It's why I believe the left is potentially more dangerous than the right is at the moment.

... also the right would have jack poo poo for power if the left would stop pushing people away.

Shitenshi posted:

I literally had to google who the gently caress Dov Charney was, then remembered him... uh.. he seems like a big piece of poo poo? I don't know enough to say if he's guilty of rape or not but from a glance it looks like the dude definitely is guilty of massive, massive sexual harassment at the minimum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
God drat. Just shut up. Take it to DnD. You are even less interesting than most of the recent episodes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

God drat. Just shut up. Take it to DnD. You are even less interesting than most of the recent episodes.

DnD would probably give him a gold medal for having a 'correct' opinion. That said I probably shouldn't have bothered with a full reply. It'll just fall on deaf ears anyway.

I guess I figured I'd break it down after reading an unironic, fully in context "Free speech is also the biggest bullshit concept I've ever heard" line in there. Mostly because of all the 'words are dangerous' claims people hurl around, that sentiment really is dangerous. Still, apologies for everyone trapped in the thread.

Back on topic, at least he does prove my theory that the reason some people hate these episodes is that they are the butt of the jokes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 21, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seriously though, we can see your rap sheet and see you're a lovely DND poster as well.

Keep all your stupid rear end poo poo in DND, don't spill out into the loving South Park thread.

Literally nobody wants to read your stupid rear end DND posts.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seriously though, we can see your rap sheet and see you're a lovely DND poster as well.

I haven't posted in DND in like 5-6 years.

Have you been there lately? It's the biggest circle jerk on the net. It's a debate forum that hates debate.

ED: Also I'd argue this particular exchange while admittedly tedious isn't exactly irrelevant to the show at this point. A lot of this poo poo is sort of the heart of the show right now, which is also why so many people hate it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 21, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You have no idea at all what antifa is or what they do, except for propaganda which is distributed directly by fascists.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Blazing Ownager posted:

I haven't posted in DND in like 5-6 years.

Have you been there lately? It's the biggest circle jerk on the net. It's a debate forum that hates debate.

ED: Also I'd argue this particular exchange while admittedly tedious isn't exactly irrelevant to the show at this point. A lot of this poo poo is sort of the heart of the show right now, which is also why so many people hate it.

Plz mate, you took a 1 month prob from posting in one of the DND sub forums. At least don't lie about being a piece of poo poo.

And no, a 1000 word essay is no relevant to a South Park thread ever. Get lost.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Plz mate, you took a 1 month prob from posting in one of the DND sub forums. At least don't lie about being a piece of poo poo.

Then maybe you noticed that was in 2009?

I think I hit a nerve

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You have no idea at all what antifa is or what they do, except for propaganda which is distributed directly by fascists.

You're right, it all ends up being propaganda for fascists. Their entire organization is the best thing to happen to them, because they consistently act like screaming children full of smug that say things like 'Free speech is bullshit.'

You could not gift a better, more helpful package to the hard right than Antifa. Their logo should be somebody shooting themselves in both feet at once. All they've accomplished is hurting everything they believe in immensely.

ED: There's also a certain level of irony in a group labeled anti-fascists that want to tell people exactly what to do with no discussion. That requires a supreme, ultra lack of self-awareness.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 21, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Blazing Ownager posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840613&pagenumber=1171&perpage=40#post484698579

From June 2018, a subforum of DND. You are a lovely DND poster. So, again. Get out.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think I hit a nerve

You're right, it all ends up being propaganda for fascists. Their entire organization is the best thing to happen to them, because they consistently act like screaming children full of smug that say things like 'Free speech is bullshit.'

You could not gift a better, more helpful package to the hard right than Antifa. Their logo should be somebody shooting themselves in both feet at once. All they've accomplished is hurting everything they believe in immensely.

ED: There's also a certain level of irony in a group labeled anti-fascists that want to tell people exactly what to do with no discussion. That requires a supreme, ultra lack of self-awareness.

Earning that avatar aren't ya m8.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think I hit a nerve

Where has antifa said this? What statements does antifa make on those lines? And what about the people who have attested antifa saved them from being beaten and murdered by fascists at Charlottesville?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Seriously though, can someone help me out here instead of continuing DnD derails?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, can someone explain the Tegridy-joke to me? Do weed farmers in the US actually honor-duel over integrity, or what am I missing there?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I am guessing its just a farming thing and then south park kinda took that premise and dialed it up.

https://www.michiganfarmer.com/master-farmers/tom-braid-grounded-integrity-family-and-hard-work

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
'murica is to america as tegridy is to integrity

e: also isolated what about pc babies sucks the worst: the script says "pc babies don't always know why they're crying" but the ppl who wrote it do. so pretending that people who object to outdated lovely language do so for no reason doesn't make sense when the writers know exactly what they're objecting to and simply expect them not to

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 21, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What didn't make sense about it to me was, literally nobody in the episode could defend Mr. Hankey and even Kyle struggled to find any reason to, and when he did, he got cosmic punishment for it. So everything in the episode pointed towards Mr. Hankey not being worth defending. And yet, they devoted half the episode to a subplot about "PC babies" so they could do a punchline of "PC babies" whining about Mr. Hankey. Normally this would be the kind of moment where you say "a-ha" as the 2 subplots finally intersect. But in this case they seemed opposed to each other. And not in a "truth is in the middle" sort of way, just an incoherent way.

I didn't hate the episode, it was just confusing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I took the "PC babies don't know what they're whining about sometimes" line as is the case with issues like cultural appropriation. There is a real issue there but it gets lost when you have people online whining about the issue without understanding the underlying reasons why it's a problem or misrepresenting the issue entirely. Another example would be people jumping on the Great Wall movie for being a movie where "Hollywood" inserted Matt Damon into a Chinese movie in order to create a white savior when that wasn't actually the case at all. That is an issue that exists but the problem is that a lot of people see something now and immediately react to it based on the problems they perceive with it.

The point of the babies was that they're ignorant of the actual issues but they're informed, in this case by their genes, that there is a problem, so when the doctor starts saying a joke that is probably going to be racist they get triggered even before any racism has actually occurred. There's obviously plenty of ignorance on the right too, not every racist is going to be able to articulate why they actually hate other races beyond some sound bytes that they're heard repeated from their compatriots.

As people mentioned PC Principal isn't a bad dude and his frat was co-opting the message and progressiveness for their own use. The babies simply represent a different section of the liberal crowd who are progressive and aware of the issues but don't actually understand them. However this doesn't mean that they're wrong to be upset about those issues in some cases, as with Mr.Hanky.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SHVPS4DETH posted:

'murica is to america as tegridy is to integrity

e: also isolated what about pc babies sucks the worst: the script says "pc babies don't always know why they're crying" but the ppl who wrote it do. so pretending that people who object to outdated lovely language do so for no reason doesn't make sense when the writers know exactly what they're objecting to and simply expect them not to

At the point that line was uttered, though, the babies just spontaneously started to cry; it wasn't like they were responding to someone saying "oriental" or anything like that.

Sir Lemming posted:

What didn't make sense about it to me was, literally nobody in the episode could defend Mr. Hankey and even Kyle struggled to find any reason to, and when he did, he got cosmic punishment for it. So everything in the episode pointed towards Mr. Hankey not being worth defending. And yet, they devoted half the episode to a subplot about "PC babies" so they could do a punchline of "PC babies" whining about Mr. Hankey. Normally this would be the kind of moment where you say "a-ha" as the 2 subplots finally intersect. But in this case they seemed opposed to each other. And not in a "truth is in the middle" sort of way, just an incoherent way.

You're expecting a level of polish and thoughtfulness that cannot occur when you spend less than a week on a single episode. :(

PaybackJack posted:

I took the "PC babies don't know what they're whining about sometimes" line as is the case with issues like cultural appropriation. There is a real issue there but it gets lost when you have people online whining about the issue without understanding the underlying reasons why it's a problem or misrepresenting the issue entirely. Another example would be people jumping on the Great Wall movie for being a movie where "Hollywood" inserted Matt Damon into a Chinese movie in order to create a white savior when that wasn't actually the case at all. That is an issue that exists but the problem is that a lot of people see something now and immediately react to it based on the problems they perceive with it.

The point of the babies was that they're ignorant of the actual issues but they're informed, in this case by their genes, that there is a problem, so when the doctor starts saying a joke that is probably going to be racist they get triggered even before any racism has actually occurred. There's obviously plenty of ignorance on the right too, not every racist is going to be able to articulate why they actually hate other races beyond some sound bytes that they're heard repeated from their compatriots.

As people mentioned PC Principal isn't a bad dude and his frat was co-opting the message and progressiveness for their own use. The babies simply represent a different section of the liberal crowd who are progressive and aware of the issues but don't actually understand them. However this doesn't mean that they're wrong to be upset about those issues in some cases, as with Mr.Hanky.

Tom Cruise and The Last Samurai say "hi!" :D

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Sir Lemming posted:

Atomizer posted:

You're expecting a level of polish and thoughtfulness that cannot occur when you spend less than a week on a single episode. :(

1. Legitimately funny jokes
2. Actually poignant commentary
3. Relevant to something actually going on in the present

Would like to say "pick 2" but it's more often than not now "pick one and a watered down version of another".

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Thread opinion is that long rear end posts are full of poo poo and irritating to the nine, so I'm gonna keep try and keep this a nosebleed instead of a full on cranial fracture. I fully expect to be probated here no matter how brief I keep this, but gently caress man I can't believe Blazing Ownager has said the things he said.

1. Content advisory warnings are also for people with genuine trauma. Would you object to a violence rating on a war movie, when veterans have gotten legitimately triggered by watching footage of Call of Duty? For someone who has been raped when watching a movie with a rape scene? Or are you telling me you've never been severely disgusted or horrified when watching R-rated movies or television for mature audiences? The Shield's storyline involving a guy getting raped at gunpoint by another guy almost made me quit the show because of how nasty it was.

2. Punching someone who threatens to beat his wife and kicks the family pets as some show of aggression when she's out of line makes YOU the real problem. Sure.

3. re: next, YOU will be the one without free speech! Slippery slope nonsense, yawn.

4. No, bad people have always tried to legitimize their position with science and a scientific person debating them in public, especially a big name like Bill Nye actually devoting his time and energy to Ken Ham just means that even more assholes will know of the figureheads. Anyone on the sidelines who could come to their side isn't going to be won over with facts and debate, they're assholes already, or they're dumber than a bag of bricks. Look what media coverage and "debate" did for Trump. How his rhetoric got David Duke and other white supremacists to come out and say during his campaign trail that even if Trump lost, that they've experienced such a resurgence that they'd gain power they haven't had for sometime and would keep it for god knows how long. You don't think there aren't a lot of racist and sexist assholes in big time positions of power as is? Larry Summers made a statement about women's capabilities being inferior to men's about two decades ago and he was still president of Harvard for a good long time. You don't need to debate that, it's wrong on it's face, and anyone who wanted a debate in the first place is the kind of tool who would be convinced to buy into racist and sexist rhetoric as is.

5. Sure, and if Milo didn't have the pedo stuff going on, his time on Maher would have made him the conservatives' new golden boy in primetime. Every rear end in a top hat on Fox News does their thing by being hateful and guess what? It works. You said it yourself, you didn't know much about Milo, so I'll enlighten you. The only time he showed up to "debate" on college campuses before involved him singling out gay and transgender people, already a vulnerable party, for harassment. This guy is not acting in good faith, and whenever people shut him down, he'd cry wolf, but people got sick of his act. Him being on Maher wasn't proof his schtick worked, it's proof that Bill Maher is a goddamn stupid rear end and will believe just about anything. Again, conservatives loved Milo, warts and all, but it finally took pedophilia to disown him. That's just proof they have a very mild definition of what's wrong.

6. Anyone who would vote for Trump because of the SJWs despite everything he did on his campaign trail and all the baggage that came out in his personal and professional life in the past is an idiot, sorry not sorry. That just makes you a sucker for alt-right propaganda.

7. Yeah, words are violence. Or are you gonna tell me that if you go up to any minority and call them a racial slur, that them giving you a black eye was unprovoked? Hell man, people are punished in environments where outright violence is verbotten for their words alone, justified or unjustified.

Of course this ignores the overall larger point that yes, assholes with platforms whose ideas coast on making GBS threads on the marginalized will use it oppress others if given larger publicity, and their psychotic followers will follow suit. You ever hear the phrase "No such thing as bad publicity?"

8. No, Hitler running on a platform where Jews are the problem, where he demanded a platform and said his sob story enough so that people did take him seriously and he got his platform in the end, is proof that your way of "debating" these shitheads fails.

9. Both sides man, both man. Also you still don't think Dov Charney is a rapist, he's just guilty of "sexual harassment." The gently caress is wrong with you?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I genuinely thought any potential effortposts following this episode would be about vaping, but here we are :shrug:

For shits and giggles, I googled PC babies and the first two results were bigtime conservative websites just loving it. There's a reason the term South Park Republican exists, and a lot of people give poo poo to Matt and Trey for inserting their lovely libertarian messages in when they don't belong, or take serious issue with the whole offend everything policy South Park brass have going on (except for the libertarians, they never take a poo poo on libertarians, and the way they've inserted PC Principal as the head of school while the current recurring storyline involves gunshots at the beginning of every episode implies that it's the liberals who don't care about school shootings). People don't care about vaping episode because it was entertaining and did what it was supposed to, the PC Babies episode on the other hand was a goddamn mess, and this isn't the first time that sentiment has been expressed in this thread.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 22, 2018

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXF8MIG_HQI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ok like

this is a good post, but do you really expect it to go over well, and not just get quoted in its entirety like 20 times with people going "lol" "sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru" and posting the PC babies clip at you

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ok like

this is a good post, but do you really expect it to go over well, and not just get quoted in its entirety like 20 times with people going "lol" "sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru" and posting the PC babies clip at you

Meh, I only felt the need to respond to the one guy because I've checked the threads where he got heat before and thought maybe I could fill in where others could not. Maybe he'd see the light? Not betting on it though.

I'm used to the peanut gallery by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Atomizer posted:

At the point that line was uttered, though, the babies just spontaneously started to cry; it wasn't like they were responding to someone saying "oriental" or anything like that.

they cried anytime mr hankey used exclusionary terms ("mommy and daddy" eg). it was not subtle.

the problem wasn't that they didn't know why they were crying, it's that no one else understood why they were crying. except when they did.