Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, what is there to get into? In Minecraft at least you can build things. Meanwhile there is nothing really interesting in Don't Starve except collecting resources for the sake of collecting more resources in the future. I don't understand survival games that offer you nothing beyond just surviving.

At the time the looming threat of death and discovery of new stuff felt like enough. it was the only survival game I'd ever played at the time (and pretty much still is). I burned out after 5 or 6 hours because of the glacial pace though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Survival games are mostly now 'we can't be arsed to code saving'.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I gave up playing papers, please because it stressed me out too much

So pretty effective at it's goal I think

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

is pepsi ok posted:

The Swapper

Hmm yes, puzzles and platforms, two genres that have never before crossed

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

steinrokkan posted:

The best survival game is Stranded II

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

brugroffil posted:

papers, please and this war of mine are two games I don't regret playing once but I will never, ever reinstall to play a second time

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

spelunky is the bet indie game, really the only one you need

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Spelunky not having an expansions or any DLC is one of the great gaming mysteries to me.

It's like your neighborhood crack dealer giving you a free taste then refusing to sell you anything when you come begging for more.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

There's gonna be a sequel soon, its probably just gonna be more excellent spelunky fun

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Caesar Saladin posted:

There's gonna be a sequel soon, its probably just gonna be more excellent spelunky fun

It loks like another game I'll be really bad at, but still enjoy. poo poo, I haven't even beat Olmec in Spelunky.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The biggest problem with indie games is that no one seems to agree on what an indie game actually is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Game made by a studio with less than 30 employees.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

no thats a "triple B" game. an indy game is made by a single person. like Minecraft or Stardew Valley

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I agree

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

also I'm still lolling at people who only play indie games like why would you limit yourself like that

Jamcreek
Apr 18, 2018
Assassin´s Creed 3 DLC The Tyranny of King Washington.

The best DLC ever made.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
All survival mechanics (hunger, thirst, sleep, sanity) are annoying but some games can be good despite having them, not because they have them (they all get better, when you turn them off).

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
An innovative 'game' was those wii games where you just swam around and looked at fish. I appreciated that it embraced the utter lack of gameplay or challenge in the first one. You'd just swim around and sometimes you'd see sweet stuff. The second one kinda dropped that ball by making you find things to unlock areas and also sharks would attack you ( :( I just wanna look at the sharks man what the hell)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

brugroffil posted:

more than just stressing me, it made me grumpy and contemptuous, I would mutter under my breath at the idiots who had all their papers in order but forgot to present part of them, for wasting my time. the body scanner was exactly as unpleasant to use as I imagine they are in reality, too

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The biggest problem with indie games is that no one seems to agree on what an indie game actually is.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Indie and the emperor's tomb was one of the first games i bought with my own money and it was awful but i ran through it start to finish twice and it holds a special place in my heart.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Caesar Saladin posted:

spelunky is the bet indie game, really the only one you need

Spelunky, Downwell, and Necrodancer are all v. strong games.

UFO 50 is going to be rad as hell.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

Indie and the emperor's tomb was one of the first games i bought with my own money and it was awful but i ran through it start to finish twice and it holds a special place in my heart.

point and click adventure games have never had good gameplay

if they were good, it was for other reasons, like the writing, art, and music, or being stuck at home on a school night with nothing better to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhtR-yoObs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Enter the gungeon is the best Indie game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poverty goat posted:

if they were good, it was for other reasons, like the writing, art, and music, or being stuck at home on a school night with nothing better to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhtR-yoObs

Is Zoombini: The Logical Journey a puzzle game or point and click adventure? What a great, if needlessly cruel and extremely easy to render unwinnable, game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Towerfall and Celeste are some of my favorite indie games ever!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

binding of isaac, on the other hand, is ugly sucks and is stupid

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Chrono trigger is better than every game posted on this page.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

binding of isaac, on the other hand, is ugly sucks and is stupid

It's definitely an ugly rear end game and not in the way it's intended to be. It's kind of fun for a few hours though. No idea how people sink dozens or hundreds of hours into it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's definitely an ugly rear end game and not in the way it's intended to be. It's kind of fun for a few hours though. No idea how people sink dozens or hundreds of hours into it.

The human brain has a strong compulsion toward uncertainty reduction and to nuanced scenarios, both of which release dopamine and both of which Binding of Isaac has in spades. The knowledge that there are additional characters to unlock and that can interact with the items in different ways, additional unlockable items, additional combination of items that could be picked up in any given run... these all hijack our brain's ability to release dopamine in response to these kinds of stimuli and leave many people feeling blissfully addicted and playing the game endlessly.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd never played Grim Fandango and got the "HD" version on Steam a while back. Recently I tried playing it, got a little of the way in, and lost interest due to the amount of backtracking that needed to be done. I remember Day of the Tentacle with some fondness, but I'm not sure I can recapture the naive innocence I had when I was 15 or whatever. Is it just me or does Grim Fandango get tedious pretty fast?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Grim Fandango is overall great but has some tedious as gently caress parts. Most of the bit with the bonewagon in the forest kind of sucks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I thought gone home was really good? It was totally it's own genre, completely independent of other walking games, because it was a "find the hidden narrative" game. I suppose you could call it a detective game, but with no framework built in to support a detective game, I think it's it's own thing. There isn't any way to talk about it without sounding all the way up my own rear end, but, whatever. If you're not aware, you haven't "completed" it until you read further into it and realise the game isn't about the kids. There's more to the story than what's spoon fed, and I thought it was really well done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

!Klams posted:

I thought gone home was really good? It was totally it's own genre, completely independent of other walking games, because it was a "find the hidden narrative" game. I suppose you could call it a detective game, but with no framework built in to support a detective game, I think it's it's own thing. There isn't any way to talk about it without sounding all the way up my own rear end, but, whatever. If you're not aware, you haven't "completed" it until you read further into it and realise the game isn't about the kids. There's more to the story than what's spoon fed, and I thought it was really well done.

You have to listen to the notes he isn't playing

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd never played Grim Fandango and got the "HD" version on Steam a while back. Recently I tried playing it, got a little of the way in, and lost interest due to the amount of backtracking that needed to be done. I remember Day of the Tentacle with some fondness, but I'm not sure I can recapture the naive innocence I had when I was 15 or whatever. Is it just me or does Grim Fandango get tedious pretty fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMx3058DOmE

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Grim Fandango is a great game to give to a kid who loves Coco if you want them to hate video games

If "everything but the gameplay" is good then it's a bad game, folks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doom 2016 has too many songs that sound like someone dropped a shredder into another shredder.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ilmucche posted:

Doom 2016 has too many songs that sound like someone dropped a shredder into another shredder.

I don't have the boner for Doom 2016's music that everyone else seems to, and I loving love that game

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ilmucche posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ilmucche posted:

It does NOT have too many