Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Carth Dookie posted:

IMO it seemed like Marquez was the first to brake with the rear tyre so hugely out of line with the front regularly and be fast because of it in MotoGp. Now a lot of guys do it. That and he's the only one I can think of who has on several occasions dug his knee in to pick up a bike that was in a lowside and successfully got it up again.

Um, isn't that just the dirt-track stylings of the 990cc guys like Nicky Hayden and Casey Stoner that fell by the wayside when the engine power was reduced and the Bridgestone tires required precision, rather than drifting, to tame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Could be, but I remember watching Stoner back in the day and I don't remember him braking the way Marquez does. I do remember him doing some mad high speed corner slides though.

It's entirely possible I'm just senile. :shrug:

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
What a fun last few laps. Woof woof.

It's a blast to finally have some races I can watch in my own timezone (drat you GMT +10).

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Moto3 was great, Sucks for Bezzecchi.
This made me laugh

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It takes a lot of balls to not be phased by 200 pounds of motorcycle cartwheeling at 50MPH a few feet away from you.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
All Marquez needs to do is keep finishing on the podium without taking too many risks and he'll easily win yet another championship. Instead he goes and does this:

I know he gets a lot of hate but holy poo poo is MotoGP lucky to have his insane rear end putting on shows like he did today. Could you imagine how boring watching the top guys trying to emulate lorenzo would be?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The dude is programmed to win races. Can't even be mad about it if he's going to risk falls/points when he doesn't need to.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I was just glad that all three classes this time through had an actual race.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Marquez is a butthole and I look forward to him being terrible.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don’t know spanish but I bet “The Terrible Butthole” has a nice ring to it

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I thought it was interesting to hear they have dash lights showing if their tires get too hot. What can they do about it while racing? Go slightly slower and use the throttle less coming out of corners?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

I thought it was interesting to hear they have dash lights showing if their tires get too hot. What can they do about it while racing? Go slightly slower and use the throttle less coming out of corners?

They can also brake slightly earlier and try to avoid sitting right behind another bike to cool the front.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

The dude is programmed to win races. Can't even be mad about it if he's going to risk falls/points when he doesn't need to.

It’s also hard to hate him when there’s zero animosity between him and Dovi after a hard fought race. I’ve got no doubt that it’ll sour at some stage but until then it’s just two guys racing all out.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Dovi seemed slightly annoyed, maybe, while being golf carted to the podium and having Marc chatting to him the whole time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They all looked loving exhausted though, zarco looked more like a river corpse than normal.

Dovi seemed fine in the press conference. I suspect these last two seasons marquez has slowly realised being a tremendous oval office on and off the track just makes things harder for you in the long run and Rossi/george are terrible examples to follow. Maybe having the cleanest, most sportsmanlike guy nearly take the title without hitting anyone or starting any handbag fights showed him it's possible to dominate while riding in a respectful way.

To use the example from the presser, rainey and schwantz loathed eachother but nobody ever got hit. Ditto Jrae and sykes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

I was just glad that all three classes this time through had an actual race.

Yep. 3 and 2 were fun to watch as always.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
JRea won in Argentina Race 1. He's chasing 10 wins in a row, and Doug Polen's record for most wins in a season.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
JRea won race 2. He now has the most consecutive wins at 10. If he can win the next 2 races he'll also have the most first place finishes ever in one season.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm glad they've made them run road bike stators, imagine how boring it would be without such incredible parity rules!

Next year they might have to run road bike rev limits, so your local grassroots superbike racers will be faster than factory wsbk bikes. All good stuff nothing wrong here at all.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Slavvy posted:

I'm glad they've made them run road bike stators, imagine how boring it would be without such incredible parity rules!

Next year they might have to run road bike rev limits, so your local grassroots superbike racers will be faster than factory wsbk bikes. All good stuff nothing wrong here at all.

Just think, Ducati, Yamaha and Honda are allowed higher rev limits (I think it was by 20%) than Kawasaki. They created the inverted field for race two, and they still cannot keep JRea/Kawasaki from winning.

That's OK they are going to make things exciting again by adding a new third "sprint race" for WorldSBK during the weekend. They finally this year got rid of all the pesky feeder classes like stock 1000 and super stock 600. European Junior Cup got binned for World Super Sport 300 (I actually liked that change).

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2018/Three+races+set+to+be+introduced+into+WorldSBK+race+format+in+2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's kind of amazing the same company runs sbk and gp cause sbk is incredibly badly run by comparison.

I think the fundamental problem is nobody buys literbikes anymore and there's no way to legislate competitive racing when you're tied to production bikes that manufacturers are losing interest in building. I'll be amazed if the series still exists in five years without some huge changes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

nobody buys literbikes anymore
What makes you say this? Is college tuition so high now that upper middle class mommies and daddies can't afford to send their poorly raised sons to higher education therefore there are no more frat bros?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sportbike sales have been in decline for ages now, 600's are dying fast and 1000s aren't far behind. IMO it's a trap of their own making; chasing willy waving horsepower figures and lap times has turned them into garbage road bikes compared to the ones from a decade ago. It's clear that there's a certain type and amount of power that most road riders find comfortable and useful, it's no coincidence that modern naked bikes have similar character to the sportbikes of yesteryear. Throw in ergonomics that have reached a ludicrous degree of stupidity and here we are.

Plus faired bikes just aren't cool like they were in the 90's, everyone wants a cafe flat track adventure custom thing nowadays. The r&d budget to develop a competitive superbike is insane, BMW didn't develop a 600 when they were cooking up the s1k because the costs and technology involved would be similar to a literbike but the price is expected to be a lot cheaper. Just isn't worthwhile when nobody gives a poo poo about sbk and can't afford to drop 25k on a barely useable vehicle anyway. I don't think they'll disappear entirely but they're definitely becoming less mainstream.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Sorry but liter bikes a decade ago were also garbage in terms of almost anything compared to literally any other bike. They're good at cornering on the far edge of the tire going really fast which you're virtually never doing on the street and nothing else. Also we have ABS and traction control and power settings now which make new ones better than old ones. They're as bad as ever aside from that.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 16, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm inclined to disagree but everyone rides different, YMMV :shrug:

First gen R1's, gixxers have a really broad, smooth power band, useable gearing and not too unfriendly ergonomics. A modern literbike has an absolutely brutal riding position and intergalactic gearing matched to a much peakier engine. I remember seeing an article with dyno runs of a first gen ZX10 (a bike I owned and enjoyed immensely) and a 2013 model, the later bike had more peak HP thanks to a little jump right at the end but less grunt everywhere else in the range. Suspension wise also, the earlier bikes were clearly an attempt to make a really fast road bike and have spring rates/damping like a firmed up sport tourer whereas the modern stuff is all super stiff and utterly useless IRL.

600's are even worse, I can categorically ride much much faster on my local roads on an old F4 or early R6 than I can on any of the modern stuff - most of the corners are simply too slow to access the meat of the power even in first gear and the riding positions have reached comedy level.

Brakes, electronics etc yeah, those are all great but that's a tide that's lifting all boats in the bike world.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

hayden. posted:

Sorry but liter bikes a decade ago were also garbage in terms of almost anything compared to literally any other bike.

The 90s were two decades ago man, we're all old cunts now.

edit: this bike will be old enough to buy alcohol in America next year

echomadman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 16, 2018

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
When I was at MMI they had the very first one in Yamaha class, serial number 00001.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
interesting qualifying:

1 Andrea DOVIZIOSO
2 Johann ZARCO
3 Jack MILLER
4 Cal CRUTCHLOW
5 Andrea IANNONE
6 Marc MARQUEZ
7 Maverick VIÑALES
8 Alex RINS
9 Valentino ROSSI
10 Alvaro BAUTISTA
11 Dani PEDROSA
12 Takaaki NAKAGAMI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That was an unusual q2, seems like Marquez is a little unsettled.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Did he sit up because of the Miller crash? Where does he need to finish if Dovi wins to clinch?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

n8r posted:

Did he sit up because of the Miller crash? Where does he need to finish if Dovi wins to clinch?

Marquez will be Champion if:

- He wins.

- He finishes second, third or fourth and Dovizioso doesn’t finish ahead of him.

- He finishes fifth and Dovizioso is no higher than fourth.

- He finishes sixth and Dovizioso is no better than fifth.

- He finishes anywhere between seventh and 15th and Dovizioso isn’t more than two places ahead.

- He doesn’t finish, Dovizioso finishes no higher than 14th and Rossi doesn’t win.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Or Dovi could crash out.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
How disappointment. That was going to be an epic last two laps.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Redvenom posted:

How disappointment.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Redvenom posted:

How disappointment.

Much this.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Redvenom posted:

How disappointment.

Good on Rins and Crutchlow tho

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We're getting battles so good that a guy known for how little he crashes is crashing out at the front fighting for wins. Opposite of disappoint. I get it tho, MotoGP has been killing it so hard that standards are getting higher. The new video overlays are sweet as hell and despite it's flaws, the videopass is pretty legit. I've all but given up following F1 cause of how it's shown and how fuckin boring it is

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

nsaP posted:

We're getting battles so good that a guy known for how little he crashes is crashing out at the front fighting for wins. Opposite of disappoint. I get it tho, MotoGP has been killing it so hard that standards are getting higher. The new video overlays are sweet as hell and despite it's flaws, the videopass is pretty legit. I've all but given up following F1 cause of how it's shown and how fuckin boring it is

I was rather angry when I logged into my phone to use it for timing during the race, and it told me I had to subscribe to a secondary "Timingpass" in order to use what I thought was part of my already quite expensive subscription.

Which is still marginally than F1 timing, since it at least acknowledges I'm a subscriber of something instead of kicking back my email saying my password is wrong, and then saying there's no account with that email, and then saying there is one when I try to re-register.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What is the most interesting 4 wheel racing if F1 sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

hayden. posted:

What is the most interesting 4 wheel racing if F1 sucks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Bwtis-53A