Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThornBrain posted:

I need more stuff. Gimme a way overpowered boomerang. Now caterwaul at me, frog man.

I love the whole Face Shrine area, it's a surprisingly effective reveal given how simple the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's the music that really sells it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

GunnerJ posted:

It's the music that really sells it.

South Shrine has the best music.

Especially since its a haunting slowdown of Ballad of the Windfish.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 10, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That reveal and that music really haunted young me who didn't see that plot coming. Marin nooooooo :ohdear:

You can actually sneak past that flamethrower with a potion! I did this as a kid because the penultimate dungeon completely stumped me, you can actually do everything behind it if you can get past, as well as skip a cutscene on the "bridge".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Poor shield, completely undervalued by the player base :(

Southern Face Shrine music is amazing. In the manga, Link has a kind of moral crisis after visiting the shrine and refuses to continue on his quest, because he doesn't want all of the people on Koholint Island to just vanish.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

Bellmaker posted:

That reveal and that music really haunted young me who didn't see that plot coming. Marin nooooooo :ohdear:

When my younger brother and I were first playing this game and got to this shrine, the music and the way the Wind Fish was drawn on the relief scared him so bad he had to sleep in my room that night and the next few nights after because he was too afraid to stay in his room by himself.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

But what does DRUNKfly see when he peers into the face?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Power bracelet level 2 is the most useless Zelda item. Very uninspired.

I think there was a second exit to the overworld in the Face Shrine, into another part of the raft game? But I'm going purely by memory here, I'm not sure.

I cannot remember getting a red potion in the dungeon, is that new in this version of the game?

Also, the rooster is the best. Your power bracelet works to clear stones/pots AND cross chasms. I basically was always flying when it it's around. And you didn't even show off the boomerang trick with it! :(

The horse heads suck, one of the worst things in the whole game. Stupid busywork. Can anybody confirm that it's pure chance how they land?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThornBrain posted:

But what does DRUNKfly see when he peers into the face?
You forgot to get a chest in a corner of the dungeon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love this dungeon, and the bombable wall to get to the miniboss was the other big thing in this game that stumped me for a while.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Torrannor posted:

Power bracelet level 2 is the most useless Zelda item. Very uninspired.

I think there was a second exit to the overworld in the Face Shrine, into another part of the raft game? But I'm going purely by memory here, I'm not sure.

I cannot remember getting a red potion in the dungeon, is that new in this version of the game?

Also, the rooster is the best. Your power bracelet works to clear stones/pots AND cross chasms. I basically was always flying when it it's around. And you didn't even show off the boomerang trick with it! :(

The horse heads suck, one of the worst things in the whole game. Stupid busywork. Can anybody confirm that it's pure chance how they land?

Yeah, Its sorta like the Golden Gauntlets in OoT. There's very few things that it's useful for, same with the power glove in Ages.

The raft game exit is for a secret seashell, but if you got the sword its only 20 rupees.

As for the horse heads, its not random, its based on the distance they went until they hit wall, at least from my experience.

For the potion, I believe its DX only.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The secret medicine in dungeons is a DX version addition, yes. I don't know what it replaced, I think the chests were still there in the original but I don't know what was in them.

Ugh, horse heads are the worst. It's not even a puzzle: as far as I know they're completely random. It's frustrating, flow-breaking and a complete waste of time. (I ended up developing a superstition that the process goes faster if you throw them so they hit a wall or object, but I don't think it's actually true.)

Don't play Manbo's Mambo to kill Pols Voice! I've done that by accident before and it's really frustrating. :doh:

There's a really fun trick with the flying rooster - try throwing the boomerang and then picking up the rooster before it comes back. The boomerang will hover back and forth below Link, and nothing can hit him because he's flying, so it effectively turns you into an invincible death copter. There's no real point to it, and it's not as useful as it sounds since you can't transition between screens while flying, but it's still funny.

Also, the flying rooster is the key to getting one of the missable seashells - there's a long line of pits just west of the drawbridge to Kanalet Castle that you can only get over with him. (Of course this is academic for the LP since you've already got the sword and it would be replaced by 20 rupees.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A thought just occurred to me- is this the only Zelda game where the dungeons themselves are locked by keys?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I remember at least one dungeon in Seasons being locked by a key, the one where you have to let the water out.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Both Oracle games used the dungeon key mechanic (not for every dungeon, but even Link's Awakening didn't have one for every dungeon), I suspect because they were consciously imitating this game. I don't think we've seen it since?

There have always been dungeon entrances that are sealed or inaccessible in some way when you arrive, contingent on solving a puzzle or finding an item or whatever. Keys are the same mechanic, just a bit more explicit.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I did the research and found the original concept art for this dungeon boss.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Now here's a part I don't recommend using as a strategy guide.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I can say as a guy who replays this game pretty regularly, the Eagle's Tower always throws me for a loop. I must have a mental block on it based on my frustration as a kid. It's my Water Temple.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Eagle's Tower might be my favourite dungeon in this game, in concept at least. In practice, manoeuvering the ball around is a huge pain if you don't already know the route, and it's really confusing to get around and easy to get lost. (You may also notice they sort of reused the orb/pillars concept with the crystals in Ages' Moonlit Grotto.)

The 4th floor is a bit misleading really, it's completely inaccessible and I'm not even sure if it exists in the game. There are also parts of the 3rd floor (before it changes) that are inaccessible due to the way the switch blocks are set up. It's a pretty weird design choice, all things considered.

One of the chests on the ledge you drop down to in Eagle's Tower is a seashell that would become 20 rupees; it's the last of the seashells to become accessible. As for the one in the rapids, the seashell is actually the one you reach from Face Shrine; the ones you reach by rafting are always rupees.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can definitely play the Ballad of the Wind Fish to the Egg before getting all eight instruments, and it even does the same cutscene that you get when you play it properly, but nothing happens until you do it with all eight.

VVV It does!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

C-Euro posted:

You can definitely play the Ballad of the Wind Fish to the Egg before getting all eight instruments, and it even does the same cutscene that you get when you play it properly, but nothing happens until you do it with all eight.

And it will sound different based on the instruments you DO have, I believe.

The last three dungeons are a doozy, the last pillar here in Eagle's Tower messed me up real bad as a kid. Those bombable walls are way less visible on the brick GB.

I mentioned earlier you can grab the mirror shield and leave, but if you clear Turtle's Rock before Eagle's Tower you won't get to see Marin on the cliff. That was a real surprise when I replayed it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

C-Euro posted:

Holy poo poo, what? How did I never know this? :stare:

It's been said already, but it really is astounding how much atmosphere and love Nintendo managed to pack into a Game Boy game in 1994, especially one that's a weird mashup with a Mario prototype. I played through both LA and the Oracle games about a billion times as a kid, but after having watched the videos in this LP, it feels like the Oracle games' worlds are way more... I dunno, "gamey", than LA's. Everything in the Oracle worlds might as well stop existing once you do the fetch quest associated with the area. With Koholint, on the other hand, it feels like Nintendo took what little assets they had and used them to enhance the setting, rather than just making a glorified obstacle course to give you something to do between dungeons. Link's Awakening feels like a much more coherent whole as a result.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It's finally time for my Dumb Child Confession:
That room at ~13:00 with the four-square-long hole and the chest in it? Kid Me didn't realize you could throw the ball over the gap from bottom to top & thought you had to throw the ball across that gap from left to right. Which you can do without the ball bouncing back into the hole...but it then gets in the way and makes it impossible to land the hookshot on that chest, so you now have the ball where it needs to be and no way to get over to it.

:negative:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

This is probably my favorite dungeon in the game, and my favorite in any of the gameboy Zeldas. It ditches the usual "key hunt" model in favor of the entire dungeon being one big puzzle around getting the ball to the four columns.

The whole mechanic around standing on the switch blocks blew my mind as a kid, both in terms of how many mechanics it integrated and that it was effectively 3D gameplay in a gameboy game. It'd be difficult to understand but all of the mechanics (minus hitting a switch while standing on the blocks) are taught in one room of the previous dungeon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Holy poo poo, what? How did I never know this? :stare:

It's been said already, but it really is astounding how much atmosphere and love Nintendo managed to pack into a Game Boy game in 1994, especially one that's a weird mashup with a Mario prototype. I played through both LA and the Oracle games about a billion times as a kid, but after having watched the videos in this LP, it feels like the Oracle games' worlds are way more... I dunno, "gamey", than LA's. Everything in the Oracle worlds might as well stop existing once you do the fetch quest associated with the area. With Koholint, on the other hand, it feels like Nintendo took what little assets they had and used them to enhance the setting, rather than just making a glorified obstacle course to give you something to do between dungeons. Link's Awakening feels like a much more coherent whole as a result.

Spoilers:

Here's a video showing how the song evolves as you get more and more instruments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoLVaoLd56o

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The final dungeon is great for those pesky eyebrows.

The LP will conclude this Sunday.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The boxing enemy's wind-up punch will send you all the way back to the dungeon entrance if it connects, so watch out!

Also
https://youtu.be/7rGKXner5Ig

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, Mecca, do they really qualify as "new players" by the time they start progressing in the final dungeon?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

I don't know, Mecca, do they really qualify as "new players" by the time they start progressing in the final dungeon?

new players first-time players
as in they're running through the game for the first time
they are new to the dungeon though, to be fair
stop picking on me!

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

ThornBrain posted:

The final dungeon is great for those pesky eyebrows.

The LP will conclude this Sunday.

Since you have been doing a great many Zelda games lately will you be taking on Parallel Worlds next???

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

DRUNKfly's story concludes by walking right into Yoshi's nose. Or at least that's what he saw.

Coming November 23 will be Minish Cap, as well as Phantom Hourglass in December (decided to also put it and Spirit Tracks in this thread, why the hell not). For those unaware, these portable Zeldas were/are all uploaded unlisted and shared with my Patreon patrons first and then released publicly once the whole LP is complete. Since Minish Cap is still in-progress on my Patreon, that's why it will be another month before I start uploading it here. Phantom Hourglass will be a public LP from the get-go while Spirit Tracks will be Patrons first, though it will run at the same time as PH.

If you're aching for more portable Zeldas from me, I already did Ocarina of Time 3D back in 2015, A Link Between Worlds in 2016, and Tri Force Heroes with my friends concurrent to ALBW. I'm also open to doing a more casual look at Majora's Mask 3D and OoT3D Master Quest, since I've already done full LPs of MM and OoT3D.
For now, see you all in a month for my vote for the best portable Zelda behind ALBW, if not one of the best Zeldas period.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

When MeccaPrime spoke about how seagulls at the beach are not nearly as endearing as you'd expect, I laughed. Beach seagulls, especially those on the coast of the eastern US, are regarded with about as much infamy as flying rats. Sometimes the drat things even fly inland along rivers and establish habitats around humans to scavenge from.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So here's an example of an "it was all a dream" endings that really work. When the dream belongs to a nature spirit and is powerful enough to trap you there for days until you starve to death it holds a little more weight.

I can't wait for Minish Cap. Despite loving Awakening so much, I don't think I've ever beaten it or even seen it beaten.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So here's an example of an "it was all a dream" endings that really work. When the dream belongs to a nature spirit and is powerful enough to trap you there for days until you starve to death it holds a little more weight.

It works too because "waking from a dream" and "nightmares" were all established early on as themes, right down to Link being knocked unconscious at the start. (And, er, the title...)

As a kid, I definitely had some misgivings about playing this through to the end. For such a simple game it has a surprising amount of depth to it. The "Nightmares," whatever they are, took over the Wind Fish's dream and wanted to rule it, which is bad sure, but getting rid of them necessitates destroying a whole world. And your guide throughout the game, constantly pushing you to act out the hero's role, as it turns out is only interested in the wellbeing of the godlike entity it's a part of. The owl straight doesn't give a poo poo that the Wind Fish is powerful enough to dream up real-rear end people, as real as Link, that Link ends up being complicit in erasing from existence. By the end you might feel taken for a ride by how the typical "hero stuff" of killing the bad guys and saving their victim actually has a pretty significant side effect.

Good game, good LP.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

GunnerJ posted:

It works too because "waking from a dream" and "nightmares" were all established early on as themes, right down to Link being knocked unconscious at the start. (And, er, the title...)

As a kid, I definitely had some misgivings about playing this through to the end. For such a simple game it has a surprising amount of depth to it. The "Nightmares," whatever they are, took over the Wind Fish's dream and wanted to rule it, which is bad sure, but getting rid of them necessitates destroying a whole world. And your guide throughout the game, constantly pushing you to act out the hero's role, as it turns out is only interested in the wellbeing of the godlike entity it's a part of. The owl straight doesn't give a poo poo that the Wind Fish is powerful enough to dream up real-rear end people, as real as Link, that Link ends up being complicit in erasing from existence. By the end you might feel taken for a ride by how the typical "hero stuff" of killing the bad guys and saving their victim actually has a pretty significant side effect.

Good game, good LP.

I felt the same way but then the more I thought I about it it's very likely Link imported the Nightmares with him when he got sucked into the dream, so it's his responsibility to clean up his own mess. LttP Link has seen some poo poo so him having nightmares makes sense, he's even having them when you wake up at the start of the game!

I never knew you could use the shovel on Agahnim :stare:

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Just want to point out a minor inaccuracy, the route in the Wind Fish's Egg is only semi random, it only has four variations;

← ← ↑ → → ↑ ← ↑
→ ↑ ↑ → ↑ ↑ → ↑
← ↑ → ↑ ← ↑ → ↑
→ → → → ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

In addition, the path isn't randomized when you start the game, it's randomized when you first read the book in the library. So long as you never read the book the path will always be

← ← ↑ → → ↑ ← ↑

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well, that's a wrap! Thanks for another excellent Zelda LP.

I agree with the other posters that this game proved that "it was all a dream" isn't an inherently bad concept, though it certainly took a lot of setup to make it work.

I never knew you could use the shovel on Agahnim either, I don't think I ever went into this fight while having it!

The Ganon form is also vulnerable to the Pegasus Boots' dash attack, weirdly enough - for the longest time I thought that was what you had to do and didn't know the spin attack worked, because the strategy guide only mentioned the boots.

I didn't know the boomerang worked on the speedy worm or whatever that form is (the strategy guide called it Lanmola, like the desert sandworms, but I'm not at all sure it was right); the Magic Rod also one-shots it.

The final form's official name is DethI, weirdly enough (I guess "death eye"?). For the longest time I thought it was Dethl (with an L, which made no sense but sounded more like a name to me) because they looked the same in print. I like fighting it without the boomerang better, if you use the bow it takes 20ish hits and its attack patterns change up a fair bit as the fight goes on.

MithosKuu posted:

In addition, the path isn't randomized when you start the game, it's randomized when you first read the book in the library. So long as you never read the book the path will always be

← ← ↑ → → ↑ ← ↑

This makes so much sense. For the longest time I thought it was randomised on a per-cartridge basis, because I got that pattern on my first playthrough by chance and on later ones I just continued using it without checking the book, and that worked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Explopyro posted:

This makes so much sense. For the longest time I thought it was randomised on a per-cartridge basis, because I got that pattern on my first playthrough by chance and on later ones I just continued using it without checking the book, and that worked.

It's a major speedrun thing. Knowing that cuts out having to do most (maybe all, I can't recall what else is skippable) of the trading game.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, Link's Awakening was my very first Zelda game. I Was a Genesis kid, but my grandparents gave me a Gameboy with a rechargable battery pack (a lifesaver), a copy of Super Mario Land, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Final Fantasy Adventure, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. With the exception of mario, all of these are among my favorite game series.

I was 11 when this game came out, and I think it was the year after I was given it? I don't remember for certain. But I had no guide book, no GAmeFAQs, and nothing but my own wits to get me through this game. The final boss proved surprisingly hard and frustrating - I think I died a few dozen times trying to beat it. No secret medicine, no level-2 sword, no boomerang. It was satisfying as hell to watch that fucker finally explode, let me tell you.

Anyway, this was a fun LP - I never played the color version, so it's neat seeing the differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I like your lp, but I've got a serious nostalgia for Mecca's hatred of signs