Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Day 2 of the Everchosen is live.

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

So Mammoths got buffed. :stare:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Mordja posted:

So Mammoths got buffed. :stare:

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenObservantBasenjiSmoocherZ

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Looking at taking another stab at this after putting it down for a long while. I remember there were a lot of issues with the Mortal Empires Big World Campaign back when -- did those get fixed up and is it worth playing now, or is the vortex campaign still the thing to play?

Also still no way to re-load an old save from inside a combat is there

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 21, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Looking at taking another stab at this after putting it down for a long while. I remember there were a lot of issues with the Mortal Empires Big World Campaign back when -- did those get fixed up and is it worth playing now, or is the vortex campaign still the thing to play?

Also still no way to re-load an old save from inside a combat is there
It depends on what your issues with the Mortal Empires campaign are. I mean, the depending on what race you play as, the Vortex Campaign has its own issues.
And yes, saving & loading is only done while on the campaign map.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The only real issue with Mortal Empires is that end turn times can be slow. It's a lot of fun other than that, I think.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
As far back as I can remember, mid-battle saves and loads were never a thing in Total War.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

toasterwarrior posted:

As far back as I can remember, mid-battle saves and loads were never a thing in Total War.

Yeah, I'd just like a "quick restart" so I can drop back to the beginning of the fight when I know I've screwed up :P

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

John Charity Spring posted:

The only real issue with Mortal Empires is that end turn times can be slow. It's a lot of fun other than that, I think.

It's been a little while, but I believe some victory conditions could use a lot of work as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
On the topic of decent things from the end times: apparently Queek dies because Thorgrim himself dismounts his throne and personally strangles Queek, reciting grudges against Skaven and ending with all the grudges that require the taking of Queek Headtaker's head. Then he tells Queek's broken body to keep its head.

I like Queek, but that's a badass moment. The last thing Queek hears is Thorgrim screaming in khazalid about the death of Belegar and the taking of Eight Peaks.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's been a little while, but I believe some victory conditions could use a lot of work as well.

Oh yeah, definitely. The basic Mortal Empires victory conditions are such that I've never finished a single campaign with it, and I finished a whole bunch of TWW1 campaigns by comparison. But the campaign itself is a lot of fun and I think even playing factions that don't interact much with the new world is fun, because when it does intersect it's really novel.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tourney finals starting now.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
That Campire Coast gunline against the Empire. :allears:

toasterwarrior posted:

Death Globe Bombardiers are AoE, and they're goddamn terrifying. Poison Wind Globadiers don't throw AoE globes because Poison Wind Globes don't work like that; in lore, they're basically throwing acid at things, not grenades. Death Globes are more advanced versions of Poison Wind Globes that the Skaven have managed to stabilize so the acid disperses in an area but stays potent enough to kill poo poo.

The Poison Wind Mortar, which isn't in the game, shoots massive Poison Wind Globes, so the acid actually lingers too through sheer volume.

It's not acid, it's poison gas. Quite likely chlorine or similar, given the old WWI trick with the piss-soaked hankerchief works against it background-wise. Death Globes are background-wise just a better, more expensive version of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Tourney finals starting now.

Is it really Empire vs VC right now? Shame.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Mortal Empires is great, and the best way to justify the long turn times is to try to explore the world when you have the money to spare. Sending an army abroad, settling in a distant continent, and fighting races you never fight with the faction you are playing as can add a lot of variety to the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ravenfood posted:

I dunno, that Aerocrastic guy played the Emps perfectly. Are they still considered pretty low-tier?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I dunno, that Aerocrastic guy played the Emps perfectly. Are they still considered pretty low-tier?

No idea, but it was admittedly a fun match to watch. I was just hoping for some more VSea action.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ravenfood posted:

Tlaxtan plays to win, and tends to pick strictly meta races. He didn't take VSea at all yesterday, for example - although to be fair he only played two games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

They're considered pretty good but they have a really low skill floor and high ceiling, more than any other race they reward micro.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Magni posted:

It's not acid, it's poison gas. Quite likely chlorine or similar, given the old WWI trick with the piss-soaked hankerchief works against it background-wise. Death Globes are background-wise just a better, more expensive version of it.

Man, I don't know what to tell you but the final army book has it working like it does in the game: a powerful ranged attack that only hits a single target. Poison Wind Mortars and Death Globes hit multiple targets because of size/quality. I'm saying it's like throwing acid at something, not punting a mustard gas bomb into a trench.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Now Aerocrastic is taking in Skavens against DELFS. You go little dude.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
They mentioned briefly in yesterday's stream that a lot of the island maps are going to have a ton of water areas, so aquatic units should be good. I'd love to see Black Ark Corsairs get Aquatic, just to represent them being better at naval fights. Also, somewhat interestingly, that means that cavalry might be extra good for naval combat, which is kind of funny.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

Man, I don't know what to tell you but the final army book has it working like it does in the game: a powerful ranged attack that only hits a single target. Poison Wind Mortars and Death Globes hit multiple targets because of size/quality. I'm saying it's like throwing acid at something, not punting a mustard gas bomb into a trench.

It was always fluffed as gas in the past, which is why they're named "Poison Wind Globadiers". They're glass orbs loaded with some kind of caustic gas that burns the skin and basically destroys your insides if you breathe it in. That's why all of them are wearing gas masks, which would be rather pointless if they were just splashing acid on things.

They don't work like gas weapons should mechanically but they're definitely fluff-wise basically hucking mustard gas bombs. One of the wikis even has a helpful quote from Children of the Horned Rat:

Some Grey Seer posted:

"The delicate fingers of poison mist that drift across the battlefields of my brothers are birthed from the spheres that Skryre’s Globadiers fling. The fumes float with deadly beauty, seeking the lungs of our foes. Taking root within the enemy, the poison turns their breath into blood-froth, and death-death soon follows."

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
This has been a really fun final round. Going into game 5, we'll have seen Skaven, Bretonnia, TSea, and now TK will be coming up in the final game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mordja posted:

Now Aerocrastic is taking in Skavens against DELFS. You go little dude.

lowest tier army failed to beat highest tier, dream is dead

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, RIP.

Tho it was actually fairly close.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

lowest tier army failed to beat highest tier, dream is dead

He came drat close, to be fair. I wonder what, if anything, is tweaked for Skaven in the balance patch... the casters have done a pretty good job of giving some details but I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It actually wasn't close, despite what the announcers said. The skaven could have had three halberd stormvermin thrown in with them and it still would have been worthless versus the chariots.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hopefully there isn't such as long a wait between this DLC and the Rats/Sneks one, because they could really use some units and RORs that'll shore up their weaknesses.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZIh7lQ3dc

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Of *course* Tlaxtlan goes with a double Shaggoth Chaos build. No fun, that one. At least we're seeing Settra!

edit: SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 21, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

orangelex44 posted:

Of *course* Tlaxtlan goes with a double Shaggoth Chaos build. No fun, that one. At least we're seeing Settra!

edit: SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE
:black101: SETTRA RULES :black101:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Tomb Kings build with absolutely no ushabti great bows and Chariot Settra tossing double Shaggoth Chaos in the dumpster. :allears:

Holy poo poo 173 kills on chariot Settra against goddamn Chaos.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

I get how cool that is but really hope it doesn't make it into the game without all other l5 monsters getting buffs too

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
can someone link the match where queen bess got rolled out, i want to see how it does in action

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
who win

Kholek, a shagoth and little buddies

or 1 gaudy statue

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I get how cool that is but really hope it doesn't make it into the game without all other l5 monsters getting buffs too

There's other units that can do that right now. It was mostly just an absolutely perfect situation for that Mammoth, it charged directly along the long edge of the unit and hit all of them. I also suspect that the Depth Guard have relatively low HP per unit, because of their healing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Holy poo poo, Settra going Initial D on that Chaos army. :haw:

President Ark posted:

can someone link the match where queen bess got rolled out, i want to see how it does in action

That's on yesterday's stream, relatively early on. Coast vs DE. Queen Bess blew up like 40% of the hp bar of a Dreadspear unit in one solid hit.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Wasn't the double Necrotect build relatively common in the early Tomb Kings days? Settra on his chariot was a surprise, but healing a Necrosphinx is just a good idea. And in retrospect the Settra choice makes sense, to charge around and clean up random infantry while the fat, ever-healing monster kills the really dangerous stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Chariot Settra putting chaos in the dumpster makes me so happy. I'll need to watch these streams tomorrow since I've got poo poo to do tonight.

I really want to see the coast in motion. Depth guard being essentially unmounted blood knights in their ability to wreck up the place makes me so happy.