Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The Mighty Boosh and League of Gentlemen are available on Amazon Prime. If you are a fan of bizarre British comedy then you will like it.

No Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace though, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally got around to watching the new Tick on Amazon Prime and it's fantastic. The first couple of episodes are a little weird but once it gets rolling it's a great ride.

Disenchantment on Netflix is also really fun. I don't know if I like it as much as Futurama yet (the idea of a Groening style cartoon with tighter continuity is hard to get used to) but it's pretty funny and the last few episodes are nuts. The voice cast is great too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

food court bailiff posted:

Disenchantment on Netflix is also really fun. I don't know if I like it as much as Futurama yet (the idea of a Groening style cartoon with tighter continuity is hard to get used to) but it's pretty funny and the last few episodes are nuts. The voice cast is great too.

I liked the 2nd half of the season more than the first. I'm optimistic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I must say I can't find Disenchantment enjoyable. I went with no expectations, I gave it a shot, I tried liking it but it's just so weak. The long set ups to the most trite payoffs are too much. It's like an unfunny Simpsons season to me, I couldn't watch more than 3 episodes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Palpek posted:

I must say I can't find Disenchantment enjoyable. I went with no expectations, I gave it a shot, I tried liking it but it's just so weak. The long set ups to the most trite payoffs are too much. It's like an unfunny Simpsons season to me, I couldn't watch more than 3 episodes.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with this show. I'm not done yet but I've laughed maybe three times so far.

...gently caress.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I watched the whole season and it’s ok at best. Like Futurama does with sci-fi tropes, Disenchanted has some genuinely funny jokes around medieval life. The fantasy spoofs often fall short, though.

“Boring Simpsons episode” is a good comparison. Puts out jokes at a steady enough pace for me to be content while I smoke weed or work on something, but ultimately forgettable.

Also I understand that Elfo’s conceit is that he’s a pathetic little guy, but everything from his character design, writing, and voice acting is so unpleasant and almost never funny. He might as well be a minor character on Family Guy. Bean and Zog are great, though.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Aug 25, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have hope the back half of season 1 will be good. It picked up in the last few episodes but overall was kind of meh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't know, I watched through again and paid more attention this time and liked it even more. To each their own, I guess.

I also finally started Santa Clarita Diet season 2, which is great so far. I love how in the age of direct to streaming shows, almost every episode ends with a cliffhanger that just makes you go "......huh."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I don't know, I watched through again and paid more attention this time and liked it even more. To each their own, I guess.

I also finally started Santa Clarita Diet season 2, which is great so far. I love how in the age of direct to streaming shows, almost every episode ends with a cliffhanger that just makes you go "......huh."

SCD and the Tick are my two favorite comedies this year. SCD is one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. Like, I will laugh out loud two or three times an episode, which I don’t usually do when I’m watching stuff by myself.

The Tick is great, too. It has some of the people behind venture brothers doing some of the writing and it shows.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Has the Tick gotten a season 2 nod yet? Because it really is great.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

YES!
I'm usually very good at spotting the ending for shows/movies but that one really got me.

Setting up the cop as a devout Christian (Catholic?) seemed a touch out of place but it never occurred to me that it would be more than "religious cop has unflinching morality"
I cannot wait for season 3

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Anyone else watching and enjoying Castle rock on hulu? I genuinely think the most recent episodes was one of the best episodes of TV I have seen in a while.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Yes, the latest episode was especially fantastic. Overall though I'm only moderately enjoying the show. I wish more stuff would happen in it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I finally got around to watching the new Tick on Amazon Prime and it's fantastic. The first couple of episodes are a little weird but once it gets rolling it's a great ride.

I watched the first half of the season when it first dropped and it was a great ride but the second half was just a massive letdown for me. I hope they get their poo poo together for season 2 but I'm not holding my breath.

Santa Clarita Diet is legit amazing though. I can't think of any other show that manages to get better every episode so consistently for so long.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Straight White Shark posted:

I watched the first half of the season when it first dropped and it was a great ride but the second half was just a massive letdown for me. I hope they get their poo poo together for season 2 but I'm not holding my breath.

I really enjoyed the second half of the Tick, they went and paid off all the setups from the first half one after another. It was crazy fast paced and hilarious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really enjoyed the second half of the Tick, they went and paid off all the setups from the first half one after another. It was crazy fast paced and hilarious.

:agreed: except actually the exact opposite of that

They foreshadow all of the payoffs super early (you can see much of it coming from before the halfway mark) and then draaaaaaaaaag everything out forever. After the first half cliffhanger the plot is like 75% wrapped up (the pacing is great and tight on that half), so you expect that there's more story yet to unfold in the remaining episodes but there really... just isn't. They introduce the last piece of the puzzle right away and then just spin their wheels for 3 or 4 episodes of embarrassingly bad special effects, so none of the payoffs have any punch left by the time they finally drop.

Last I heard the S2 order is a couple episodes shorter, at least, so that ought to help a bit.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Season 2 of The Good Place is on netflix and it's fantastic. I was really worried it would retread too much of season 1 given the concept they were going for but it's really elevated it in a way I didn't expect.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agent355 posted:

Season 2 of The Good Place is on netflix and it's fantastic. I was really worried it would retread too much of season 1 given the concept they were going for but it's really elevated it in a way I didn't expect.

Season 3 premiers soon if you have Hulu!

Watch The Good Place. It's extraordinary.
Hell, I even listen to the behind the scenes podcast.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The Good Place is great in premise and execution, it’s definitely one of the most delightful shows you could stream right now. despite it’s unfair treatment of frozen yogurt

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The Good Place is great in premise and execution, it’s definitely one of the most delightful shows you could stream right now. despite it’s unfair treatment of frozen yogurt

Frozen yogurt is neither good nor bad

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Good Place isn't a stand-out show to me, I don't know why. Then again I binged all of Season 2 at once, so maybe I'm in some kind of denial. It has that network, saccharine quality that turns me off, but I can't deny how clever it is. Ted Danson, D'arcy Carden, and most of the time Kristen Bell are all really, really funny.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

New season of bojack continues to be real drat good, I love this stupid show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

New season of bojack continues to be real drat good, I love this stupid show.

I'm 8 episodes into it. I don't know how the consistently do gimmick episodes that don't suck but episode 6 owned

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was episode 6 the funeral episode? Because that was the first time I actually played with my phone and ignored the show. Like ever. It was just trying too hard.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Season 2 of American Vandal is out and it is just as good as the first.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Bojack S5 was awesome

I also just renewed Hulu for the first time in a while and watched Future Man... holy poo poo that show is hilarious. Excited for season 2.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Firstscion posted:

Season 2 of American Vandal is out and it is just as good as the first.

It really is. So loving funny.

And like the first one, excellent writing and acting. The way the documentary twists and turns and keeps you guessing is so satisfying.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The limited series Maniac with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone is really good. There's so much going on but it never overexplains itself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Seconding Maniac, my wife and I have been watching it and it's been really well done.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Binged through Hilda on Netflix. Fun cartoon that has sort of a Gravity Falls feel to it and it's just overall very charming.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GraveVideos posted:

One of the things that hurts it most for me is that something looks incredibly off about Matt Groening's artwork for this show too.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

jodai posted:

The limited series Maniac with Jonah Hill and Emma Stone is really good. There's so much going on but it never overexplains itself.

My only problem with that show was that I cared way less about the mental health brain shenanigans plot, I just wanted to see more stuff in the weird alternate modern reality they established with the Ad Buddies, rental friends, and surrogate husband-for-hire for widows or whatever.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The first few episodes of the show were great, I feel it went way downhill went it got to the ai going crazy plot. It almost feels like it abandoned a better plot for a weird twist.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Santa Clarita Diet is legit amazing though. I can't think of any other show that manages to get better every episode so consistently for so long.

I thought that I was going to hate this show, but the whole gore factor takes a back seat and the story itself is fun. I'm glad that it got renewed, because that was some cliffhanger for season two.

I've been watching Cheers lately and really love it. It's a very smart comedy that makes you feel like a regular there. Although I really hate Kristy Alley's character, but yet love Woody Harrelson's character.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

For real though I want to slap whoever writes most of netflix's show descriptions in the mouth, there's been so many movies I gave a try that were garbage because the description sounded interesting enough, while I ended up passing on some good stuff for longer than I would have, had the description not made say a serious thematic movie sound like it's gonna be a whacky parody.

Also try some of the Thai films they've got on netflix, I've been on a spree with their horror movies and horror-comedy stuff and it's great, Phobia 2 (And the first movie, 4bia which sadly isn't on netflix) was really cool, Ladda Land had some really tense moments, Pee Mak was precious.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Oct 3, 2018

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
If you like Nicolas Cage, Next is on Hulu.

Nic Cage has the ability to see two minutes into the future and also he and Jessica Biel fall in love -- oh yeah, it's from 2007 but is as timeless as Mr. Cage himself!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Hot Date is on Netflix! It's a sketch show with Brian Murphy and Emily Axford from College Humor. They play multiple characters as the episode goes from couple to couple. From what I've seen it's pretty funny but I only saw the free episode on YouTube. It was on a channel called PopTV which I never had access to so I'm excited to see the whole 10 episodes.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
Hold the Dark is on Netflix now. Anyone else was utterly confused? Although I will definitely watch it again, director said in some interview that he had a meaning behind it all, I just missed it on the first watch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

sajobi posted:

Hold the Dark is on Netflix now. Anyone else was utterly confused? Although I will definitely watch it again, director said in some interview that he had a meaning behind it all, I just missed it on the first watch.

I watched up until just after the gunfight when one of my kids woke up and I took him back to bed. That was a few weeks ago and have never been bored enough to watch the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

Mammal Sauce posted:

I watched up until just after the gunfight when one of my kids woke up and I took him back to bed. That was a few weeks ago and have never been bored enough to watch the rest of it.

I'm sure there's something interesting going on in the themes etc. Try finishing it and wrap your head around the whole thing. Granted after first viewing I have no idea what the whole thing meant.