Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

snergle posted:

dont children die constantly at disney world? because its built on a swamp full of alligators and kids dont read signs that say dont go over there alligators will eat you. and parents dont gaf

It only happened once in recent memory that I know of, it caused a huge stink and gave rise to twitter's hottest take ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

andrew smash posted:

It only happened once in recent memory that I know of, it caused a huge stink and gave rise to twitter's hottest take ever

Was that the gator thing?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

andrew smash posted:

What was that hot take?

-All the dumb moms posting pics saying 'My kid was splashing in the water that day too!'

or

-Why let your kid get snatched by a gator at Disney World 'it's not like he's going to remember it!'

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

LadyPictureShow posted:

What was that hot take?

-All the dumb moms posting pics saying 'My kid was splashing in the water that day too!'

or

-Why let your kid get snatched by a gator at Disney World 'it's not like he's going to remember it!'

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Didn't some black lady say the white kid deserved it or something because he was white?

Beaten

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The family involved got about 1000x the empathy and attention that other high profile deaths were getting at the time, so the pushback was pretty drastic. Standard twitter poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a saint in the troll pantheon

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i think his mom was there too

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Oh! Thanks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The family involved got about 1000x the empathy and attention that other high profile deaths were getting at the time, so the pushback was pretty drastic. Standard twitter poo poo.

Cool

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
sympathy is a limited resource and they were hogging it . they were hogging all the emotions. the very limited amount there is.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

What other high profile deaths are you talking about? I can't really think of a more noteworthy death than a 2 year old getting snatched by an alligator in front of his parents on the beach of a Disney resort.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Well that tweet was just three days after the Pulse shooting. Probably not what the tweeter's referring to given they're angry about white people and not straight people, but hey.

e: There was enough going on that June that you can take your pick of events they might have thought the gator thing was overshadowing.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 21, 2018

tatterhood
Apr 4, 2007

If you look out the window you will see many ruined cities & enduring seas.

quote:

I'm (21F) desperate for advice on an older man i'm seeing, (35 M) of 5 months. Is he taking advantage of my naivety?

To give you guys some context, we both go to the same school. He's a grad student, but not teaching or anything so it doesn't violate any rules. I'm a junior and we graduate the same year. We met last year in the second semester and didn't talk much over the summer as he went back to his home state across the country. We met up for coffee once school started, and he initiated the romantic aspect again. We're both artists. He's Mexican and i'm white. (relevant to some cultural boundaries.)

I'll try to keep this as short as possible but there's a lot on my mind, so sorry in advance for the length. I care for him deeply. I would say i'm falling in love with him. I do a lot for him. When he wakes up in the morning and takes a shower, I have breakfast and coffee ready, I do the dishes, backrubs, dinners, ect. Tons of crazy intense sex. He's very reciprocal in the sense of acts of service to one another and physical aspects, but he's not at all verbal. He doesn't tell me i'm beautiful, how he cares about me, ect. Which isn't a dealbreaker, it just adds to the uncertainty of the situation.

​Last year before I left for the summer, I told him how I felt. How much he meant to me and that I wanted to be with him, that I would wait for him over the summer. He said some things that really hurt. It was a long time ago but a few of the things he said are still with me. He broke up with his last girlfriend a few months prior, and he brought her up, saying he thought she was "the one." And that it was hard to transition into something serious again. Basically the gist of it is that he has feelings for me but he's not ready for a relationship. He did mention it could change, but at the moment he was not ready for anything more serious. He also said he didn't think we would be compatible for a relationship, but I think his reasons were kinda bullshit. I felt like there was more he didn't want to tell me, so he wouldn't hurt my feelings. I wanted to move on, so I cut off contact for the summer.

​I am an insecure person, so the next part is on me, and I realize he's done nothing wrong in this aspect, but it's still hurtful. I saw on his instagram stories him hanging out with a beautiful Mexican woman, going on fun adventures, concerts, ect. all summer. It sucked. One of the reasons he gave me for us not being compatible was that we didn't do much besides cook and watch movies, but it's unfair, because we're in a very small town in northern U.S., there's basically nothing to do, and on top of that we're both committed to our work and can't see each other until late usually anyways. He told me they were just friends, it was just hard to believe. She's so beautiful and they did so much together. This.. is a really silly thing. But it bothers me nonetheless. He doesn't really like my instagram pictures, but I see him liking and commenting on beautiful womens pictures all the time. He may just have a lot of girl friends, but, it's a seed for insecurity. I feel like me being white is a downfall. He's subtly demeaning to white people, and I can't blame him with the political climate, but I won't get into that. It just makes me feel small. I'm just a stupid young white girl, how could I ever compare to the women he knows at home? He has said he hasn't had sex with anyone else all summer. But I still feel like i'm a placeholder. I'm who he has sex with and cuddles when he's lonely, but he could never be serious with someone like me. And if that's true, how could he initiate a romantic relationship again knowing my feelings, knowing i'm going to get hurt again? Is he just using me as a warm body?

​However, things have been great since I've been seeing him. We've had a lot of fun. When I first started seeing him again, I thought it could just be sex or something, and I wouldn't get attached again, but obviously I did. We haven't talked about those issues, though. I've wanted to, but he has a large project he's been working on constantly, and I want to wait until he finishes it because he's so stressed with it, and I don't want to add to it.

​Am I stupid for going back to him after all this? Is it just a lost cause? Would it be worth it to become more serious even if he somehow came around, or should I just drop it? I plan on telling him after his work is done that I can't keep seeing him if there's no way we can work towards something more serious, but even if he wants to, is it worth it after all that?

​It's very hard for me to leave a man once I reach a certain point of attachment, and I've long since reached that with him. Any encouragement or advice on leaving would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading.

TL;DR : I've been seeing an older man for a few months who's got commitment issues; am I stupid for staying?

tatterhood fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 21, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

am I stupid for staying?

yes. every time its going to be "yes".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tatterhood posted:

I'm (21F) desperate for advice on an older man i'm seeing, (35 M) of 5 months. Is he taking advantage of my naivety?

quote:

​I am an insecure person,

quote:

​It's very hard for me to leave a man once I reach a certain point of attachment,
Dude knows exactly what he's doing. :sever:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please dont drag cool 35 year old down with your desire to earn your MRS degree

tatterhood
Apr 4, 2007

If you look out the window you will see many ruined cities & enduring seas.

Pick posted:

yes. every time its going to be "yes".

It's TRUE LOVE, you monster (but yeah pretty much.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a joke college professors sometimes tell:

Q: what's the difference between a high school senior and a college freshman?

A: two months.

"35 year old foreign grad students aren't looking for a long-term relationship with the 21 year old strange they hooked up with right after their breakup" was a lesson she would have to learn one way or another

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Dude knows exactly what he's doing. :sever:

He told her he was still hung up on his ex, that he wasn’t ready for a relationship, that she and he weren’t compatible, anyway, and then spent the the summer sharing photos of himself frolicking on the beach with hot babes. He’s also racist against a group she is a member of. She picked up right where she left off with him, with no changes in that situation. Even from her own, almost certainly romanticized, version, this guy has been very clear about what this relationship is. This is 90% on her.

Still sever.

Edit:

Sagebrush posted:

There's a joke college professors sometimes tell:

Q: what's the difference between a high school senior and a college freshman?

A: two months.

I thought the answer would be something like, “8-15 years.”

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:holymoley:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
My (45F) husband (47M) is controlling and competitive. What should I do?

quote:

tl;dr: I like to walk for relaxation, and most recently, my husband has started to walk more due to health problems. This causes him to become paranoid and think I am trying to compete with him for x amount of steps. In reality, I do not care, but he still tries to control the amount of steps I get in a day, so he can have more steps then me. Why? I do not know.

So, a little background information to start with that will make sense in a second

I've been married to my husband for 25 years, so I've gotten used to his habits overtime, but I feel like every year they get progressively worse. We have two children (10M & 18M) together. I've always liked to walk ever since I was young and now I (try) to walk around my neighborhood whenever I can (3x a week). My husband has recently, within the last month or so, started walking a lot more and we both use a FitBit to record the amount of steps we've walked. This is where the tension arises.

To start off with, my husband has a few health problems that has made him a lot more health-conscious. His primary doctor told him he needs to lose 40 pounds to maintain a healthy BMI, thus making him want to walk more and get at least 20k steps each day.

The problem is he thinks I am trying to be competitive. For example, I'll walk for an hour during the afternoon and come back usually, However, he'll want to walk with me, but he also likes to talk while we walk. Not to sound harsh or anything, but I am not interested in talking to anyone while I walk. I love listening to the beat of the music while walking and now walking feels like a chore, not a means of relaxation. It doesn't end there though. If he isn't in the mood to walk with me and I want to go walking, he'll tell me to only do x amount of laps. This took me back the first time because who focuses on the amount of laps they're doing? To not piss him off, I did said amount of laps, and came back (about a 20 minute walk.) The thing is he'll go walking after I've finished and stay out as long as he wants (I'm talking an hour, come back for a small break and then walk another hour). That really pissed me the gently caress off. To control how much I've walked, he will tell me that "I'm walking too long" or "I've been out too long." This is becoming too much for me to handle. I don't want an aspect of life that I enjoy to be controlled and monitored like a hawk.

He is also constantly asking what how many steps by FitBit says. I was honest once and said "18k" because I had worked that day and went for a walk to blow off some steam. He went ballistic. "Why are you making this a competition?!," "How did you walk more steps then me?!" (the hypocrisy I swear..), & my favorite, "You know what? I'm going outside for a little while." (which then he come home and report to me that he achieved 20k). Quite frankly, I don't care how many steps he's got in for the day. I walk for pure enjoyment and the constant check-ins are going to make me blow over.

He's gone so far to where if we are walking together, he'll tell me to go back to the house. Excuse me? I kept on walking because I'm not going to let anybody have that kind of control over me. Of course, he tried to guilt trip me and say that my kids feel lonely without me. None of my children have attachment issues, so I'm pretty sure that was another means of control.

Sometimes, if he feels as if I've walked too long already (I have a job that requires me to be on my feet a lot), then he will use the classic, "we don't spend enough time together" line and I feel guilt tripped, therefore I just give up and don't end up walking.

Honestly, I am at my breaking point. I have tried talking to him about it, but it only makes things worse. I feel like I can't do much without being monitored and that sucks! I just really do not know what do about this. Any solution or piece of advice is helpful at this point!

Sorry if this post was all over the place! I'm just really fed up. All replies are appreciated! :)
Toxic masculinity is a hell of a drug

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

He told her he was still hung up on his ex, that he wasn’t ready for a relationship, that she and he weren’t compatible, anyway, and then spent the the summer sharing photos of himself frolicking on the beach with hot babes. He’s also racist against a group she is a member of. She picked up right where she left off with him, with no changes in that situation. Even from her own, almost certainly romanticized, version, this guy has been very clear about what this relationship is. This is 90% on her.

Still sever.

Edit:

I thought the answer would be something like, “8-15 years.”

Sounds like she's dating an early prototype of Bill Cosby

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Invite him to the Fitbit challenge activities and start running

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Invite him to a short pier

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Start lying about how much you've done until his competitive nature kills him

"Oh yeah, I totally walked 500,000 steps today, honey, you're gonna have to work if you wanna catch up"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more, just to be the man who terrorized my wife and made her life a ceaseless barrage of criticism and pain

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more, just to be the man who terrorized my wife and made her life a ceaseless barrage of criticism and pain

this made me sad, because up until "life" it works in the rhythm and it worked to sing along :(

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

this made me sad, because up until "life" it works in the rhythm and it worked to sing along :(

replacing "ceaseless barrage of criticism and pain" with "chore" fixes the cadence but kinda misses the nuance of the situation

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
He's just trying to get to the finish line of "mid life crisis" before her.

He's gonna end up being one of those fuckin' jacked grey haired dudes you see at the gym with popped out veins over every inch of his body.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Fatkraken posted:

replacing "ceaseless barrage of criticism and pain" with "chore" fixes the cadence but kinda misses the nuance of the situation

yeah I tried bore but again not really right

nothing rhymes with orange toxic masculinity

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dudeness posted:

He's just trying to get to the finish line of "mid life crisis" before her.

He's gonna end up being one of those fuckin' jacked grey haired dudes you see at the gym with popped out veins over every inch of his body. with a room filled with unused fitness gear

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I was unfriended on FB by a woman I went to high school with because I took my family to Disneyland and said I couldn't imagine being there without my kids and she had a mini-meltdown because her and her husband went without kids like two weeks prior. Here's the kicker, she has two Disney aged kids that they intentionally left with her parents so they could go without the hassle of giving their kids a lifelong memory. Like.. what type of loving awful parent goes to Disneyland and leaves their five year old at home?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

buying my (27f) first home, seeking advice navigating finances and cohabitation with boyfriend (36m) - too many secrets - his weird dynamics with a close friend - financial slave/master situation.

I have been living with my boyfriend in a rental for two years. This spring I began house shopping, looking to lower our monthly payment and build equity instead of just throwing money away on rent. He agrees that this is a good idea for me, financially, and is willing to pay rent to me.

I have a full time job with a salary. I have loan pre-approval from my bank and I found a house I am ready to move forward on, meeting with the owner to sign a contract this week. I could definitely afford my payments without his contribution.

This is where things get complicated. Boyfriend doesn't have a job, and hasn't almost the whole time we have been together. He isn't a mooch by any stretch of imagination, clearly he is much better off than I am, financially speaking. He doesn't want to share any numbers or details about his finances, but I know from repeated grilling about it that he has at least 100k and he's playing the bitcoin game. It makes me nervous not to know any real tangible details about his finances, while mine are completely transparent.

This is where my true issue lies: I have recently discovered that most of his money is not actually in his name. He made the initial bitcoin investment years ago with a close friend, and now all of the money they have made together is technically in his friend's name. This friend gives me seriously bad vibes. When boyfriend and I first started dating, he mentioned that one of his close friends had once requested to be boyfriend's "slave." Its the bitcoin dude, of loving course. Boyfriend said that he declined the master/slave relationship, but the whole thing stinks of some kind of weird emotional/financial manipulation powerplay type situation and I want absolutely nothing to do with it. It skeeves me out to think of bitcoin dude getting some kind of sexual gratification about giving money to my boyfriend.

Weird bitcoin slave guy, probably in his late 40s, recently sold his home in another state to move to my town to be nearer to boyfriend. Its making me feel uncomfortable and unsafe. Mail with bitcoin guy's name on it keeps coming to my current home, and I recently discovered that my boyfriend's american express card is technically in bitcoin guy's name.

I love my boyfriend, but this is a dealbreaker and every time I voice my concerns about this situation he shuts down, or acts like I'm being a golddigger or something. Am I wrong to want financial transparency?

Do I just move into my own home without him and break up? I don't want to lose my relationship, but I also don't want to invite financially manipulative bitcoin weirdo into my life. It feels like any financial agreements I make with my boyfriend are not really with him at all, but with this other guy I have no reason at all to trust.

Tl;dr I don't feel like I can trust my boyfriend because he isn't being transparent about where his money is coming from. Break up before I get my mortgage and move into my own home? Other solution I can't see because I'm too close to the situation? Is it evil of me to want my adult partner to have his money in his own name?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

dick wizard posted:

I was unfriended on FB by a woman I went to high school with because I took my family to Disneyland and said I couldn't imagine being there without my kids and she had a mini-meltdown because her and her husband went without kids like two weeks prior. Here's the kicker, she has two Disney aged kids that they intentionally left with her parents so they could go without the hassle of giving their kids a lifelong memory. Like.. what type of loving awful parent goes to Disneyland and leaves their five year old at home?

When I was ~8, and my little sister was ~5, my mother announced a trip to Epcot Center... for her and my little sister. Who the hell takes one of their two children to Epcot Center? I think it was my sister's birthday, but ask me if we ever made that trip on my birthday. In short, some parents suck, and should be launched into the sun. That definitely includes anyone who leaves their five-year-old child at home to vacation at a Disney resort, then whines about all the other people who didn't leave their children at home.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

buying my (27f) first home, seeking advice navigating finances and cohabitation with boyfriend (36m) - too many secrets - his weird dynamics with a close friend - financial slave/master situation.

Do I just move into my own home without him and break up?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yes.

Boyfriend has a sugar daddy, so what?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I can't say I've ever heard of a findom relationship between two middle-aged men before.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Incoherence posted:

I can't say I've ever heard of a findom relationship between two middle-aged men before.

I'm sure it's because no problems arise from and it always works out so well for everyone involved.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I usually like taking OPs itt at face value because there's more than enough selfowns and obvious assholery going around without interpreting sinister motives into everything, but that guy is claiming that "the bitcoin game" makes him financially secure without ever divulging HOW secure exactly? He's 101% in way over his stupid head and doesn't actually have any money that's not tied up in gaga money that's constantly losing value. Considering this, he probably said "nono love don't worry about the latest bitcoin, some OTHER guy is playing with them and giving me his profit for free, so I'm super safe!!! Really!!!!!". And she bought it because she bought all his other crap before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

dick wizard posted:

Think of it this way. The kids would have more fun chilling with the grandparents than they would have at Disneyland with them.