Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dalael posted:

I just finished the crisis of the 3rd century in the History of Rome podcast and I would say that nearly 6 decades of constant civil wars and roman armies fighting each other while leaving the borders undefended probably did not help.

The third century was real bad, but the evidence is strong that the empire completely recovered and the fourth century was, if not the strongest period of the empire's history, second only to the heights of the Pax Romana. The current thinking in the scholarship is the crisis of the third century was a huge deal at the time, but long-term effects don't seem to have been huge. The biggest consequence is probably that the crisis brought about Diocletian's reforms, which brought Constantine, which caused Constantinople, and Constantinople's impregnability to assault for nine hundred years was the only reason the empire survived so long. There were more than a few instances where the empire was overrun and the land walls of Constantinople saved the Roman state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Epicurius posted:

Actually, it's a Gallicization of the English "Latinization" backended into British English for purposes of ease of spelling. It's off the topic of ancient history, but it's interesting, so, eh... English used to spell words like "organize" and "recognize"...we've got 15th -17th century spellings like that in England. It comes from the Greek "izein" and "izo". English also has a bunch of words that, because of their roots, have always been spelled with an "ise", like "advise", "exercise", "promise", etc. Probably in an attempt at standardization (standardisation) and simplification, in 18th century Britain, "organise", "recognise" and so on also became acceptable spellings, and became more common.

In America, that never happened, and so only the older spellings are used. Here's Oxford Dictonary's explanation.

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/28/ize-or-ise/

That's really interesting, I was under the impression that the -ise spelling was the older one. If I'm not mistaken I actually learned that in school, so thanks for correcting that. I'll keep this in mind next time someone decides to be pedantic about that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grevling posted:

That's really interesting, I was under the impression that the -ise spelling was the older one. If I'm not mistaken I actually learned that in school, so thanks for correcting that. I'll keep this in mind next time someone decides to be pedantic about that.

A lot of American English differences are actually older than UK ones, much like how the French and Spanish of the Americas have preserved older elements of those languages. In English some of that is because the Victorians were giant Classicsaboos and shoved a bunch of Latin rules into English for no reason to satisfy their kawaiium waifus.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Grand Fromage posted:

There is pushback against it, as with any idea in history. It's not something you can quantify with hard data, you have to use judgment. But is true that the Romans almost never negotiated when they were losing a war, they would keep fighting under any circumstances and would not entertain any sort of peace treaty unless they were winning. The Romans also had absolutely enormous manpower available compared to other Mediterranean states of the era, as mentioned above with the Italian allies, so they were able to keep fighting despite suffering losses that would've crippled other states. No other Mediterranean power could've suffered a loss like Cannae and continued fighting. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn't have been capable of raising another army.

Much later the Romans lose this manpower advantage and battles like Adrianople are devastating to the empire in a way earlier losses weren't.

So was Italy really densely populated during the Republican period then, compared to places like Greece, North Africa or the Near East?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

khwarezm posted:

So was Italy really densely populated during the Republican period then, compared to places like Greece, North Africa or the Near East?

Italy was notably dense, but also the Roman alliance system allowed them to levy troops much more efficiently and on a larger scale. They also gradually lowered the property requirements for soldiers which opened up a larger pool of manpower. Originally they were like the Greeks, you had to be fairly wealthy to serve in the army since you had to provide all of your own equipment and there were minimum property requirements and whatnot. As far as I know none of the Greek polities ever dropped that, while eventually the Romans by the time of Gaius Marius allowed literally any able bodied man to sign up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Marius' reforms basically invented a lot of the concepts that we take for granted in modern armies, like the state paying for equipment and soldiers signing up for a set period rather than for the duration of the war (after which the entire army, with all its valuable trained troops, would be dispersed).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What newer books are there about how Rome’s 4th century was actually really good? Does Goldsworthy or Peter Heather go into that in their books on the Fall of the West?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Originally they were like the Greeks, you had to be fairly wealthy to serve in the army since you had to provide all of your own equipment and there were minimum property requirements and whatnot.

Doesnt that depend which bit of the army you had in mind? If youre one of the psiloi and your equipment is 'a sling' that's not a high bar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did any of the pre-Roman empires have standing armies? It always feels like for most of history when a king wanted to go to war, he raised an army, rather than using one he already had. Was Rome just so much wealthier than any other pre-modern state that they were the only ones who could afford it?

e: I know practically nothing about non-western history so maybe someone in China or India was wealthy enough to field a standing army

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Did any of the pre-Roman empires have standing armies? It always feels like for most of history when a king wanted to go to war, he raised an army, rather than using one he already had. Was Rome just so much wealthier than any other pre-modern state that they were the only ones who could afford it?

e: I know practically nothing about non-western history so maybe someone in China or India was wealthy enough to field a standing army

I think they go back at least to the palace economy Bronze Age?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Doesnt that depend which bit of the army you had in mind? If youre one of the psiloi and your equipment is 'a sling' that's not a high bar.

Those sorts of troops are a bit of a question mark since the sources don't care about them much. Real manly men fight hand to hand as hoplites, maybe as cavalry sometimes, but standing back and throwing rocks is for dirty inferiors. Helots were occasionally used as slingers by the Spartans so there's clearly not much of a requirement, but I don't think Greeks would have even considered those guys properly part of the army.

The Romans were similar, from reading most of the sources you'd hardly know there were important archer units with the legions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

It depends how you're defining it. The Romans were the first in western history to field a massive, fully state run professional army in the vein of a modern military. That is however somewhat a circular argument because modern militaries were consciously based on the Roman army so of course they'd be similar.

There were earlier states that had a mix of a core, mostly professional/permanent force and additional levies as needed. The Assyrians definitely had some form of standing army. The Akkadians and Egyptians may have even earlier.

India I know embarrassingly little about. China certainly had professional military units supplemented by peasant levies, though I think those were around the same time as the Romans, not pre-dating them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess it's easy to forget that America engaged in army-raising as recently as Vietnam, via the draft

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What newer books are there about how Rome’s 4th century was actually really good? Does Goldsworthy or Peter Heather go into that in their books on the Fall of the West?

Goldsworthy basically doesn’t believe that, he sees 4th century government as fundamentally busted with the emperors almost all unable to trust any subordinate with enough power to accomplish anything much if the emperor was not physically present. Not as bad as the crisis but distinctly worse than under the Antonines.

Heather does believe that though and his book spends some time on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Fate of Rome by Kyle Harper was the most recent book I read which talks about it, between the exploration of the plagues and climate change.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess it's easy to forget that America engaged in army-raising as recently as Vietnam, via the draft

I mean this is literally any modern full scale war, obviously. 'Small professional core supplemented by levies' is exactly the armies of the American Civil war or the BEF and Kitcheners Army in World War 1.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Qin and Han Dynasties of China theoretically required all able bodied men to give 2 years of military service when they turned 23 and remain registered with their local militia for the next several decades in case the state needed to call on reserves. This system apparently emerged during the Warring States period but I know little about that. Obviously no ancient state could actually enforce an universal service requirement, and in the Later Han a lot of men avoided service by paying a fee and the military rolls were often not reflective of the actual number of men the state could be expected to call upon.

I don't know as much about India, I don't think there is as much surviving writing about their military arts? The Arthashastra is the only work I know from that period and I haven't read it. I think they mostly relied on an aristocratic warrior class and mercenaries. Not too sure.

skasion posted:

Goldsworthy basically doesn’t believe that, he sees 4th century government as fundamentally busted with the emperors almost all unable to trust any subordinate with enough power to accomplish anything much if the emperor was not physically present. Not as bad as the crisis but distinctly worse than under the Antonines.

Heather does believe that though and his book spends some time on it.

I don't know if those two beliefs are necessarily incompatible. The empire can have a completely dysfunctional political leadership but still have a booming economy and coast on a strong military.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mantis42 posted:

I don't know if those two beliefs are necessarily incompatible. The empire can have a completely dysfunctional political leadership but still have a booming economy and coast on a strong military.

Well we know that’s possible.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mantis42 posted:

True, but in the specific case of Goldsworthy he thinks the state was weaker overall. He points to the insecurity of political leaders mostly to highlight the biggest point of his book, which is that Romans could not loving quit it with the civil wars from the third century on and that successive attempts to reshape the state to avoid the problems this caused made the state fatally less effective while not actually preventing civil wars. His basic power level comparison from the intro:

quote:

Studies of Late Antiquity stress the great strength of the fourth-century empire. They are certainly correct to do so, since Rome in this period was overwhelmingly stronger than any other nation or people in the known world. However, it was not as stable as the empire of the second century, nor was it as powerful. How and why this changed is central to understanding why the later empire was as it was. Put simply, the empire was stronger in the year 200 than it was in 300 - although perhaps it had been even weaker in 250. By 400 the empire was weaker again, and by 500 it had vanished in the west and only the rump was left in the lands around the eastern Mediterranean.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

The Greeks had four castes, if you didn't have anything you got to row boats. Then infantry, cavalry, and on top, commanders.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Libluini posted:

According to my knowledge (gained from reading his books in our school's library), it's Polybios.

Quick, go correct Oxford!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

polybius would have been called polybius for a large chunk of his life - he was roughly 30 when he was sent as a hostage to rome, and for the next 30-40 years resided in rome or with a roman army aside from his stint as de facto governor of greece

romans and greeks were pretty loose with the os/us thing - they didn't blink at latinizing or greekifying os/us depending on the language being spoken

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Jazerus posted:

polybius would have been called polybius for a large chunk of his life - he was roughly 30 when he was sent as a hostage to rome, and for the next 30-40 years resided in rome or with a roman army aside from his stint as de facto governor of greece

romans and greeks were pretty loose with the os/us thing - they didn't blink at latinizing or greekifying os/us depending on the language being spoken

Old Latin had the -os ending for the second declension nouns as well, that changed to the more familiar -us in Classical. Also, as far as I remember from my Latin classes, you could take ancient Greek words and plug them into Latin with their native declension system as well.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Greek and Latin endings share a common origin after all, although whether anyone at the time commented on the fact that Latin and Greek (and Gaulish) have many things in common while Punic, Aramaic and Etruscan were very different from Latin is something I've wondered about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not sure about explicit commentary, but I don't think it's a coincidence Latin is unrelated to Etruscan and the Romans believed they came from elsewhere and were not native to the Etruscan cultural zone they lived in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Not sure about explicit commentary, but I don't think it's a coincidence Latin is unrelated to Etruscan and the Romans believed they came from elsewhere and were not native to the Etruscan cultural zone they lived in.

Well yeah, they came from Anatolia.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mindfuck Answer: the Romans were founded from a stranded crew of Carthaginian sailors in Latium.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 22, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Rome was founded by...

...the lost Roman legion!!!!!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sullat posted:

The Greeks had four castes, if you didn't have anything you got to row boats. Then infantry, cavalry, and on top, commanders.

I feel you might be generalising 'the Greeks' a bit here. I mean quite a lot of city states weren't going to have boats; not everywhere is Athens.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I feel you might be generalising 'the Greeks' a bit here. I mean quite a lot of city states weren't going to have boats; not everywhere is Athens.

True, I don't know how the Spartans crewed their navy. They paid for it with Persian gold, though....

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

sullat posted:

True, I don't know how the Spartans crewed their navy. They paid for it with Persian gold, though....

A bunch of the coastal Lakonian perioikoi cities had naval traditions, and the Spartan navy probably was crewed and captained by periokoi.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Remember the last time a schoolgirl pulled a sword out of a lake? It happened again. And this time it's a real historical artifact, not a discarded movie prop.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In a somewhat similar vein to my Roman question earlier, what was it about the Assyrians that made such a bunch of asskickers, quite literally the likes of which the world had never seen before?

When I was younger I read that their use of Iron was like fighting a guy with cigarette lighter when you have a flamethrower, but I understand that modern historians have mostly written off this idea that it was some sort of revolutionary technology that would win every war.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Isn't the primary advantage of iron that it's much much more common, not that it's that much better of a metal than bronze?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

doesn't require two different high quality supplies, much better logistics

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't the primary advantage of iron that it's much much more common, not that it's that much better of a metal than bronze?

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1warvr/eli5how_exactly_does_iron_beat_bronze/

quote:

A bronze weapon and a cast iron weapon have about the same utility in terms of strength and holding an edge.

However, you can make cast iron weapons from one substance - iron. To make bronze, you need copper and tin. These two metals are rarely found in the same place, which means you either have to control territory with sources for both, or you have to trade for them. If you have to trade for them you may find that you can't make war at will or you'll be cut off from your suppliers. This need to trade stabilized the ancient world and made total domination of one culture by another fairly uncommon. It implies a huge weakness though - if you can sever an army's source of either copper or tin, you can cripple it.

Iron work can be evolved to steel work. Steel is a superior metal for weapons than bronze or cast iron. But figuring out how to make steel is really, really hard when you don't have modern chemistry or microscopes. It's a process of trial and error and it's mostly error. Steel was not a major factor in armaments until after the Roman period.

The very ancient world was a bronze economy. Trade was critically important. This is one reason the ancient Greeks became so successful; they lived by the sea, mastered sailing early, and expanded their influence anywhere they could sail a boat and find a harbor. All the great civilizations of the ancient world were bronze based - China, India, Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Minoan, etc.

When people figured out how to make cast iron (which requires higher temperatures to get the ore out of the rock and to work the metal effectively) there was a huge upheaval. New conquering peoples arose and kicked the asses of the bronze-age civilizations. Greek culture was battered so badly it lost literacy - they literally forgot how to read and write. But this upheaval was based on economics, not superior metallurgy - iron armies are easier to supply as long as you control a source of iron ore. Bronze armies have supply lines that can be cut.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Goddammit this is the sort of post that makes me want to go back and play dwarf fortress again (it models bronze, iron, and steel relatively correctly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Huh, I guess I shouldn't have poo-pooed the importance of that grey gold.