Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

"I got the manual so I'd be more engaged in the sport of driving" - elitist

The person I quoted said if you don't want a manual, you may as well buy a Lexus. Meaning that only manual cars should count as sports cars.

And yes, if you can't see how driving an automatic can still be an engaging experience that requires your full concentration, you're elitist.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Any of them who complain that the transmission jerks at low speed and whine for a torque converter will be up against the wall when I come to power.

Torque converters are inarguably better from a standstill than a manual or DSG - even on a track. They have torque multiplication, making them significantly faster off the line. And a lot of DSGs can't handle a ton of torque before turning themselves into very shiny and expensive metal shavings. It probably depends on the exact conditions, but I could see a sufficiently tuned torque converter auto actually beating a DSG on the track.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hey cool we good we settled auto vs manual on the last page how bout them new cars huh?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Hey cool we good we settled auto vs manual on the last page how bout them new cars huh?

You're right. Let's talk about something positive like the new Cadiloh God, kill it with fire!.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

I’m the windshield lol

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KillHour posted:

You're right. Let's talk about something positive like the new Cadiloh God, kill it with fire!.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KillHour posted:

The person I quoted said if you don't want a manual, you may as well buy a Lexus. Meaning that only manual cars should count as sports cars.

Hey, to be clear, I'm talking specifically in the context of the GT500, and in the context of my other opinions about how much power a street car can have before becoming a giant pile of excess. If you need to juggle a tedious commute with your sports car needs, sure, I can see the argument for a torque converter on a car with a few hundred hp. Enjoy. At 700+hp, yeah, I get elitist.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
All modern cars look like that Cadillac anyway so even if it isn't about transmissions we can all agree that modern automobile styling is poo poo garbage fit for an rear end.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KillHour posted:

Holy gently caress that looks bad. It's like those chunky preschool kids toy cars you can buy

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KakerMix posted:

All modern cars look like that Cadillac anyway so even if it isn't about transmissions we can all agree that modern automobile styling is poo poo garbage fit for an rear end.

All styling competition has been replaced by the rush to build the most annoying infotainment system.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I can't even imagine what 700+ hp would be like to control on public roads

It would be fun, that's what it would be like

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

incels interlinked posted:

It would be fun, that's what it would be like

I got frustrated with the Golf R I used to have because you run out of ~fun space~ really quickly on public roads, and a Golf R is pittance compared to the monsters driving around these days. I have way more fun in slower stuff, driving a slow car fast etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KakerMix posted:

I got frustrated with the Golf R I used to have because you run out of ~fun space~ really quickly on public roads, and a Golf R is pittance compared to the monsters driving around these days. I have way more fun in slower stuff, driving a slow car fast etc.

Personally I think Golf GTI performance level is the perfect spot to be for how I use a car

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

I blame all the stupid concept car marker drawings where it's 50% wheels with some tiny slits for windows. I can understand being forced to make design compromises for production but these designers want them to look the way they do. Cars look more like the concept sketches every year.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

crossovers and suvs look like poo poo period

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/mustang-2-door-coupe/2018

but it has fiddyleven airbags :shrug:

Also, ford has the tools coming to fix the continental. 7.3 liter V8, 10 speed auto, RWD CD6 platform, suicide doors. Done.

the 7.3 is probably the right engine for that 7 speed stick bronco, as well.

Stop, stop my penis can only get so erect.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

A manual clutch makes a car slower than two clutches and a computer. If the goal of the car is to be fast with no compromises, then I see nothing at all wrong with dropping a manual clutch option. Rowing gears is an obsolete skill.

Cars that do away with manuals in favor of a hydraulic planetary automatic can go die in a fire. I’m looking at you, BMW.

ZF 8HP shifts as fast and can cope with more torque than almost every DCT.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Cars that do away with manuals in favor of a hydraulic planetary automatic can go die in a fire. I’m looking at you, BMW.

Do you think the economic forces that are presently killing the manual will somehow overlook the DCT? The bean counters are unanamous - they want us all in slushboxes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Many people think that driving a manual is more fun than driving an automatic. I'm one of them. But it certainly is not faster than an excellent automatic transmission. With the performance difference between a Mustang GT and higher-spec Mustangs being largely in the realm of poo poo you have no chance of probing anywhere except a track -- where that extra performance could make a difference -- I can see the motivation behind dropping the manual transmission option, and I say that as someone who thinks that more vehicles should have a manual transmission option.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

ZF 8HP shifts as fast and can cope with more torque than almost every DCT.

Somewhere there is a long-dead GM powertrain engineer that simply cannot stop smiling.

My distrust of hydraulic autos is deep-seated and irrational, and I’ll be the first to admit it. I blame the 700R4.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Do you think the economic forces that are presently killing the manual will somehow overlook the DCT? The bean counters are unanamous - they want us all in slushboxes.

No, I think the DCT will simply replace manuals in high-end performance cars where price is less of an issue. In econoboxes, yes, I think within ten years there will no longer be manual options from any major global OE.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Even a Mustang GT will be faster with the automatic, and fuckin lol at the idea that a manual in a 700hp car isn't stupid as poo poo.

I daily a manual and I like that it allows me to game shifting for efficiency, but manuals actually suck compared to modern good automatics and the manual transmission fetishism among internet car nerds is both tiresome and pathetic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Wheeee posted:

Even a Mustang GT will be faster with the automatic, and fuckin lol at the idea that a manual in a 700hp car isn't stupid as poo poo.

I daily a manual and I like that it allows me to game shifting for efficiency, but manuals actually suck compared to modern good automatics and the manual transmission fetishism among internet car nerds is both tiresome and pathetic.

This fails to address ~enjoyment~ though and I'd argue people that go "SLOWER" as if that's the only metric car purchases are based on are far more tiresome and pathetic.
Why buy a Mustang GT when there are faster cars out there? Because you might want a Mustang for an emotional reason? Dang that's almost like why people like a stick to waggle around!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KakerMix posted:

This fails to address ~enjoyment~ though and I'd argue people that go "SLOWER" as if that's the only metric car purchases are based on are far more tiresome and pathetic.
Why buy a Mustang GT when there are faster cars out there? Because you might want a Mustang for an emotional reason? Dang that's almost like why people like a stick to waggle around!

In this case, I think the issue is that there are very few people who would buy the GT500 over a Mustang GT if high-end performance were not a primary concern for them, so it makes sense to optimize the GT500 for performance/speed rather than the joy of shifting one's own transmission directly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

If I'm buying a Mustang GT I want the manual for enjoyment reasons.
If I'm buying a Ford GT I want whatever is fastest around the track.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Indeed, who could possibly doubt the supremacy of the modern three speed four speed overdrive electronically controlled five speed manually selectable sport tuned automatic transmission.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I exactly agree with this, and it's what I was getting at when I made my earlier comments about the GT500.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ilkhan posted:

The real reason I'm buying a Ford GT is to drive it downtown to the fancy restaurant with my wife/mistress lol if you think I'm taking it to a track.

Remember the Hellcat? Yeah how many of those are just cruising around town vs. being used for heavy race use? Stuff like the GT 500s or whatever are just as much a badge as a performance vehicle. Heck if actually bet that they are more badges than are enjoyed for their engineering and performance, and those people don't give a poo poo about anything besides what makes them look more exclusive. Car X around the track faster than car Y? You know I'll be buying car X to bring that up as it had a hundred miles put on it under my ownership.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 22, 2018

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KakerMix posted:

The real reason I'm buying a Ford GT is to drive it downtown to the fancy restaurant with my wife/mistress lol if you think I'm taking it to a track.

Remember the Hellcat? Yeah how many of those are just cruising around town vs. being used for heavy race use? Stuff like the GT 500s or whatever are just as much a badge as a performance vehicle. Heck if actually bet that they are more badges than are enjoyed for their engineering and performance, and those people don't give a poo poo about anything besides what makes them look more exclusive. Car X around the track faster than car Y? You know I'll be buying car X to bring that up as it had a hundred miles put on it under my ownership.

That sort of thing does bring out my car elitist. I never look down on someone because of the amount of money they spent on a car, but I do look down on them for buying cars that are plainly wrong for their actual use case. Example: If my kid told me that they had just bought a Craigslist Miata, I would heap scorn on them, because my kid doesn't like to drive, and there's no logical reason to own a Miata if you don't think driving is fun. It would not matter that I would love to own a Miata. That car would be wrong for my kid, and they should have known better, and I would tell them so.

I get that some people are Mustang or Camaro people, and if they want to buy a ZL1 or GT500 or whatever because it's next on their climb up that mountain, then more power to them. It's not about rationality in that case and there's no point making such judgements.

However, when we get to people who just want an expensive car for the sake of image, and they choose a 700hp monster because it looks striking, my elitism comes out again, because using those cars just to go to the restaurant is insane. Compared to a luxury car of the same price, which would convey the appearance of wealth just as well, the ride is worse, the amenities are worse, hell, it's probably harder to get in and out of, and all they get in exchange is a louder engine and more power than they can use.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

However, when we get to people who just want an expensive car for the sake of image, and they choose a 700hp monster because it looks striking, my elitism comes out again, because using those cars just to go to the restaurant is insane. Compared to a luxury car of the same price, which would convey the appearance of wealth just as well, the ride is worse, the amenities are worse, hell, it's probably harder to get in and out of, and all they get in exchange is a louder engine and more power than they can use.
The fashion aspects of expensive cars aren't one-dimensional. Most people expected to recognize a Lambo will know that the owner of it could've gone for an S-klasse or two, but they're in a Lambo because it's loud and brash and uncomfortable, not in spite of it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I would like to add something to the manual vs auto conversation;

Cars sound better to me as manuals, the revs rising and falling on a gear change vs the static rev of an auto or the bwarp *fart* of a dsg setup. I'm sure seems like a really stupid thing to a lot of people but it's a reason I personally like a manual gearbox even though they're 'not as good'

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I would like to add something to the manual vs auto conversation;

Cars sound better to me as manuals, the revs rising and falling on a gear change vs the static rev of an auto or the bwarp *fart* of a dsg setup. I'm sure seems like a really stupid thing to a lot of people but it's a reason I personally like a manual gearbox even though they're 'not as good'
Even on CVTs they add in artificial gear ratios just to maintain that. And more importantly autos can use every bit of the rev range, exactly the same as a stick, if its programmed right. You don't get it in everyday driving because its less efficient, but if you floor a modern auto its going to downshift and spin the engine up to redline just like you would. And still hit the next gear faster than you could do it.

Even on my truck the shift points and readiness to downshift are different in sport mode, and I've had it to redline whenever I want to. Just a matter of using the smile pedal. I don't have the truck at redline as much as I did in the Mustang, but again that is a matter of choice.

But I do get your point, sometimes you want to hold the gear just for the fun of it, and you don't get that in the auto.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrYenko posted:

No, I think the DCT will simply replace manuals in high-end performance cars where price is less of an issue. In econoboxes, yes, I think within ten years there will no longer be manual options from any major global OE.

I think you've got that completely backwards - you'll see DSGs in low end stuff like the Golf and Polo as a cost cutting measure but more expensive cars will move to proper autos.

Anyway within ten years I can't even see petrol being a mainstream option so it's all moot.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

That sort of thing does bring out my car elitist. I never look down on someone because of the amount of money they spent on a car, but I do look down on them for buying cars that are plainly wrong for their actual use case. Example: If my kid told me that they had just bought a Craigslist Miata, I would heap scorn on them, because my kid doesn't like to drive, and there's no logical reason to own a Miata if you don't think driving is fun. It would not matter that I would love to own a Miata. That car would be wrong for my kid, and they should have known better, and I would tell them so.

I get that some people are Mustang or Camaro people, and if they want to buy a ZL1 or GT500 or whatever because it's next on their climb up that mountain, then more power to them. It's not about rationality in that case and there's no point making such judgements.

A lot of people actually do track their expensive 700hp cars as well as drive them to thr restaurant. You're making a lot of assumptions about people you know nothing about and also about cars you know nothing about

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

fridge corn posted:

A lot of people actually do track their expensive 700hp cars as well as drive them to thr restaurant. You're making a lot of assumptions about people you know nothing about and also about cars you know nothing about

Anecdotally "a lot" really use their car as a sort of trophy to show off at cars and coffee (me included). That's fine since as far as I'm concerned it's all emotional anyway and most people drive things that I loathe.
I know of one dude with a tactilol bright red Poison-catalog Wrangler that's spotless and shiny that really does make it out offorading and beats the poo poo out of it. He had tastes that don't align with mine but by golly he's out there thrashing his machine and coming home, washing it and detailing it. You could assume he's just like all the other spotless mall crawlers and you'd be wrong, but so what? He doesn't give a poo poo, you shouldn't either.
He's genuine, that's the real rare part.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I judge people who buy fancy appliances for reasons other than the features and then don't use all the features.

gently caress you guy who doesn't order milk from amazon on his fridge computer. gently caress you guy who doesn't use the steam feature in his . Those are features i would use if i had them and therefore he is doing something wrong.

The jerk.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Pandem is starting to grow on me tbh

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy gently caress that is spoopy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Anecdotally "a lot" really use their car as a sort of trophy to show off at cars and coffee (me included). That's fine since as far as I'm concerned it's all emotional anyway and most people drive things that I loathe.
I know of one dude with a tactilol bright red Poison-catalog Wrangler that's spotless and shiny that really does make it out offorading and beats the poo poo out of it. He had tastes that don't align with mine but by golly he's out there thrashing his machine and coming home, washing it and detailing it. You could assume he's just like all the other spotless mall crawlers and you'd be wrong, but so what? He doesn't give a poo poo, you shouldn't either.
He's genuine, that's the real rare part.
I roll my eyes at the pristine lineup on 6 figure cars I see at CnC events. No numbers, street tires, not prepped in any way, never seen a track. I don't care. Its just a dollar sign on wheels.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

I roll my eyes at the pristine lineup on 6 figure cars I see at CnC events. No numbers, street tires, not prepped in any way, never seen a track. I don't care. Its just a dollar sign on wheels.

Right, and if they didn’t buy all those cars just to show off then manufacturers wouldn’t be able to afford to build them for the few people who do buy them and take them to the track.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Modus Man posted:

Right, and if they didn’t buy all those cars just to show off sell all those SUVs to the increasingly aging market then manufacturers wouldn’t be able to afford allowed to build them by the shareholders for the few people who do buy them and take them to the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Solus posted:

Pandem is starting to grow on me tbh

I'm just happy they've stopped putting those lovely cheap looking LEDs in the front bumper.