Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Woah now, November Rain had an orchestra, iirc, and both that song and video owned. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE

That is still the most cliche'd big rock video of the 90s though. It's got the band in a "serious" preformance with Axel's artfully arranged pack of smokes and booze on the piano, the non performance parts are nonsensical (why does that guy jump through the cake? Is that something he always wanted to do and saw his chance because someone left the cake out in the rain?) and just the whole thing was silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

That is still the most cliche'd big rock video of the 90s though. It's got the band in a "serious" preformance with Axel's artfully arranged pack of smokes and booze on the piano, the non performance parts are nonsensical (why does that guy jump through the cake? Is that something he always wanted to do and saw his chance because someone left the cake out in the rain?) and just the whole thing was silly.

You heard me :colbert:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And why did she die? From the rain?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing about "November Rain" is that it came out when Axl Rose was having his big feud with Kurt Cobain, so when they were both at the MTV awards that year where GNR were due to perform the song, Cobain snuck out and spat on Axl Rose's piano keys, only to be horrified when Elton John came out and sat down to play it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagined posted:

Committed suicide, judging by the mirror and nobody at her funeral.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best thing about "November Rain" is that it came out when Axl Rose was having his big feud with Kurt Cobain, so when they were both at the MTV awards that year where GNR were due to perform the song, Cobain snuck out and spat on Axl Rose's piano keys, only to be horrified when Elton John came out and sat down to play it.

I never even knew there was a GnR/Nirvana thing going on until the last year or two. I could have sworn some article said that Axl wasn't even really trying to instigate any of it but Kurt was the more antagonistic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did it happen before a concussed Novacelik was shouting for Axel at the VMAs?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JediTalentAgent posted:

I never even knew there was a GnR/Nirvana thing going on until the last year or two. I could have sworn some article said that Axl wasn't even really trying to instigate any of it but Kurt was the more antagonistic.

Nobody talks about cause he's dead, but Kurt was also a giant douche in many ways.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't think it was even GNR and Nirvana; I think it was just Axl and Kurt.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think it was even GNR and Nirvana; I think it was just Axl and Kurt.

From the viewpoint of this article, it was all of Nirvana vs. Axl and Duff.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-vs-nirvana-a-beef-history-166180/

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm scared to look this up as I don't want to be disappointed. Please someone tell me this is real, and not a '90s urban myth.

Edit: vvvv well god drat, this is gold.

Parkingtigers has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Oct 16, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm scared to look this up as I don't want to be disappointed. Please someone tell me this is real, and not a '90s urban myth.

Source.

quote:

Earnie Bailey (guitar tech, Nirvana): After Nirvana played "Lithium", Kurt went below the stage, where Axl and Elton John’s pianos were mounted on a hydraulic lift awaiting their duet.

Kurt Cobain: I spat on Axl’s keyboard… it was either that or beat him up. We’re down on this platform that brought us up hydraulically, I saw his piano there and I just had to take this opportunity and spit big goobers all over his keyboards.

Earnie Bailey: Kurt came in, laughing his rear end off. He told me he’d spit across the keys of Axl’s piano as he left the stage. So we’re laughing about that, watching the ceremony on TV, when these two pianos come up and Kurt goes, “Oh gently caress! I spit on Elton’s piano by accident!” I’m not sure which was funnier, Kurt’s horror at what he had done or the sight of Elton John hammering away on that piano.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Imagined posted:

I always figured Axl killed her in a drunken rage.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
By coincidence I heard the GNR version of "Live and Let Die" on the radio recently and because I always forget it happens, I'm always bemused to hear Axl squawking "NOW GIMME SOME REG-GAAAAAE!" when it gets to the "what does it matter to you" section.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

By coincidence I heard the GNR version of "Live and Let Die" on the radio recently and because I always forget it happens, I'm always bemused to hear Axl squawking "NOW GIMME SOME REG-GAAAAAE!" when it gets to the "what does it matter to you" section.

It's better than the original, don't @me

:colbert:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

GnR was lovely butt rock for goobers then, and now it's lovely butt rock for old goobers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peeny Cheez posted:

GnR was lovely butt rock for goobers then, and now it's lovely butt rock for old goobers.

:wrong:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:agreed: Appetite for Destruction is an all around banger

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

:agreed: Appetite for Destruction is an all around banger

:buddy:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So in other 90s rocker news, I just learned Maynard from Tool is an alt-right poo poo head, and super pro-cop and military. Did he he hit his head or something? Didn't Perfect Circle put out an anti-bush album in the aughts or am I going crazy?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's also an -- Allegedly -- rapist who preyed on not quite legal fans, from what I remember coming to light last year.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where you getting that shite?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

So in other 90s rocker news, I just learned Maynard from Tool is an alt-right poo poo head, and super pro-cop and military. Did he he hit his head or something? Didn't Perfect Circle put out an anti-bush album in the aughts or am I going crazy?

Eh, less anti-Bush than critical of American political policy in general and war in particular. Protest song covers from America's history.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

He's also an -- Allegedly -- rapist who preyed on not quite legal fans, from what I remember coming to light last year.

I thought it was last year too, but it turns out it was just in late June. Last report was that she told the full story and handed over any evidence to Rolling Stone and they're currently vetting the info.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Peeny Cheez posted:

You are correct

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Peeny Cheez posted:

What the gently caress is it with you people and obnoxiously loud keyboards?

Peeny Cheez posted:

I'm thinking your opinions on sound in general are suspect and needlessly contentious.

Cavenagh has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Oct 20, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GelatinSkeleton posted:

You are correct

GnR owned actually.

hth

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized that the gyroscope thing they had Steven Tyler strapped to was seen all the time in media in the 90s, but I only ever saw one real life once while driving down the highway with my parents, one was on the deck of a bar.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Goddamn it, I had the A Perfect Circle album on permanent loop for months right after it came out, even saw them live. Another piece of my teenage years gone :smith:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.alternativenation.net/tools-maynard-james-keenan-reveals-trump-disgusting-turd/

I mean in this article he's doing a bit of the gross South Park "both sides are equally bad" but he also calls Trump a disgusting turd so I'm going to assume he's not a nazi unless someone has a link otherwise.

As others said Maynard was very anti-Bush so I'd be very surprised to hear he supports a guy who is Bush without the aww-shucks charm or even token lip service to the rule of law.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Oct 21, 2018

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mezzanine posted:

Goddamn it, I had the A Perfect Circle album on permanent loop for months right after it came out, even saw them live. Another piece of my teenage years gone :smith:

It's not true dude

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
This is a good opportunity to point out that big Tool fans are insufferable.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Hey I don't mind you saying I'm insufferable, but if you're implying I'm a Tool fan... :argh:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I spent a bunch of money to see Tool last year and all of the fans were really chill metal heads.

Good show, Tool is good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is also a maynard quote from a recent concert

quote:

As artists, we interpret and report, that’s our job. We are merchants of emotion. We have the privilege to do that because of active and former law enforcement and military defending our right to do so.

Those of you who are law enforcement and military, your job is to defend our right to act like whining, entitled snowflake assholes, myself being one. Snowflakes, your job is to respect them loving doing that for you. Divided we fall. Don’t believe the hype dumb-dumbs, we’re all in this together.

He also apparently dunks fried chicken into his wine to own the vegans. Whether a one off or a thing he does all the time, it's like come on dude.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

dialhforhero posted:

If it's wrong to love a big tool, then I don't want to be right.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Seems like a lot of '90s musicians, particularly the "eDgY" ones, have brokebrains now. Fred Durst seems comparatively like a normal chill dude at this point.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laterite posted:

Seems like a lot of '90s musicians, particularly the "eDgY" ones, have brokebrains now. Fred Durst seems comparatively like a normal chill dude at this point.

Fred was just a typical dude from Jacksonville, tbh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Fred was just a typical dude from Jacksonville, tbh.

It's a good thing Florida only has 20 years left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ambitious Spider posted:

this is also a maynard quote from a recent concert

He also apparently dunks fried chicken into his wine to own the vegans. Whether a one off or a thing he does all the time, it's like come on dude.

The craziest thing was when I saw Tool last year Maynard was dressed in riot gear and stood at the back of the stage in near total darkness.

I can't figure that dude out.