Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was very, very good. Yes, there was a bit of “this is the moral of the story” in the middle there, but a good chunk of the audience are children, so they probably needed to be a bit blunt there.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the rural south, and echoing some others here, that was a pretty accurate representation of some of the attitudes I’ve come across. People can still be lovely down here.

I did get a laugh out of “thanks Martin Luther King, how can I help you, Rosa Parks?”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
This episode had a very Quantum Leap feel, and I mean that in the best possible way.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Went in kind of nervous, came out of it thinking that it may be my favorite of the season so far. Yeah, some parts were incredibly on the nose and a bit after-school-special, but the story had a lot of heart, the humor worked well and the plot was a very good example of how you can make interesting use of timetravel without disrespecting the setting. This could have been terrible, but I feel that showing how even the smallest action can help set up a chain of events that brings about actual change is both very inspiring and hits straight at the core of this series.

Did feel like the soundtrack went a bit overboard at times, though. Also didn't help that the badguy's leitmotif sounded like it came straight out of a certain classic game. It made me wonder if the space-racist was forced into his criminal tendencies by his upbringing and environment, or would otherwise be interested in buying a monkey or a goat.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I just didn't feel like Jacket Man was as threatening or as sinister as, say, the regular people in the episode (who were accurately portrayed as vile pieces of poo poo)

Technically, that's correct as written. No matter how racist he is, he can't hurt anyone. The "wholesome white folk" not only could do so, their society encouraged it.

What makes him so dangerous isn't his ability to threaten harm, it's his knowledge of the events to occur and how he only needs to tip things slightly to get what he wants.

Richard Spencer or Steven Miller aren't particularly threatening in person, but they are dangerous for what they can encourage.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

HD DAD posted:

I did get a laugh out of “thanks Martin Luther King, how can I help you, Rosa Parks?”.

Ryan's fanboying was adorable :allears:

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Stabbatical posted:

So Alabama's segregation ends because of a grandfather paradox started by a far-future white supremacist that ensures the bus was full that evening?

Okay.

Hi, I'm here posting from Montgomery, Alabama in TYOOL 2018 and I have a surprising update for you re: segregation in Alabama:

it hasn't ended

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

SimplyCosmic posted:

Technically, that's correct as written. No matter how racist he is, he can't hurt anyone. The "wholesome white folk" not only could do so, their society encouraged it.

What makes him so dangerous isn't his ability to threaten harm, it's his knowledge of the events to occur and how he only needs to tip things slightly to get what he wants.

Richard Spencer or Steven Miller aren't particularly threatening in person, but they are dangerous for what they can encourage.

I haven't seen much of Steven Miller, but Spencer absolutely does feel like a loving villain when he talks

like, even knowing full well the guy can't take a punch, toxicity and sheer evil practically seep from his pores, the dude is ominous

Jacket guy was obviously doing something with hateful intent, he just felt really bland to me while he was doing it. The vileness behind his actions didn't come through in his acting or his dialogue, he was just... a guy, doing a really hosed up thing, whereas everyone else felt like truly lovely people being truly lovely. Again, that could be a meta-thing, as the people that do hosed up poo poo often DON'T come off like supervillains (Spencer excluded, that guy could sport a cape and it would fit), it just felt weird to me personally that the time travelling supercriminal with the displacement blaster was as low key as he was

edit: Even when he outright admitted he was doing this of his own volition after doing some thinking in space jail, he still acted like it was just a job for him. Like, he was so straight forward, so emotionally vacant, if it hadn't been spelled out that this was his idea I would have believed he'd been hired to do it.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 22, 2018

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Lunatic Sledge posted:

(especially right after an episode where two different aliens looked like humans)

They were straight up aliens? I thought the point was it had been so long that humanity had forgotten where it came from.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Andy0wen/status/1053650817369153536

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Standard Measure posted:

They were straight up aliens? I thought the point was it had been so long that humanity had forgotten where it came from.

in addition to having never heard of humans, they drew a definite line between Albarians and Muxterans. Could just be a cultural divide, though

edit: though that doesn't preclude Jacket Man having a vendetta against humankind, I guess

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 22, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Of all the scenes, I think my favorite might be when Yaz (who is still not a particularly fleshed out character) stood on the bus trying to figure out where she stood in the white/colored distinction. It was a pretty effective way to hammer home just how loving stupid and nonsensical the divide was in the first place.

God I love Colin Baker :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"Oi! That's vandalism we're going to have to pay for that!"

"Don't worry! Special pen!"

"No! Pack it in! You ain't Banksy!"

"...or am I?" :ninja:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I get that he was more of a metaphor than a real character but they said the time racist was from the 76th century or so right? We have racism still now but once things have advanced enough you can just barter for tech like that would African-Americans not be considered more normal than all the aliens in the setting?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I really wanted to like this, and I still mostly do, but it lied about the history it focused on. Parks' protest wasn't spur-of-the-moment - it was a carefully-planned, scouted, and organized act of civil disobedience.

Sure this is better than "oh she was a tired old lady who just wanted to sit" like my school books claimed, and included her activism, but it fucks up the act itself and I shudder to think why.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Justin_Brett posted:

I get that he was more of a metaphor than a real character but they said the time racist was from the 76th century or so right? We have racism still now but once things have advanced enough you can just barter for tech like that would African-Americans not be considered more normal than all the aliens in the setting?

Racists gonna race.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
They pulled that off much better than I thought they would

The worst part of the episode was the absolutely dreadful American accents

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 22, 2018

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Wait, do Brits actually learn about Rosa Parks in school? I know I revived a lovely UScentric education and couldn't tell you a drat thing about civil rights in any other country.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The way they kept saying everyone's full name every time was weird though. That's Rosa Parks! Hello Rosa Parks!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
That was mostly one scene though and obviously played for comedy.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm fine with the racists being racist, it was more stuff like the scene where Ryan and Yaz just sat down and spelt out the entire message of the episode.
People need it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lampsacus posted:

People need it.

Yeah the more I think about it, and knowing some of the people I know, it needs to be spelt out in big block glowing letters for the lightbulb to go off.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I didn't like this episode overall, though it did have some fun moments. Part of it is that it was so blunt about addressing racism, and I'm used to seeing that through at least a thin veneer in my sci-fi, with Star Trek being the prime example of that. Most of it though was that the Doctor was up against the weakest opposition by far that I can ever recall. I'm used to the Doctor pulling off just the craziest poo poo, or if they're up against just one opponent then that opponent has special powers or features that make it a proper challenge.

Here we have a guy who can literally not fight back and has readily declared his intent of disrupting history so it goes down a worse path. He also admits that he killed a lot of people, so I as a viewer don't get the sense that he should be treated with kid gloves or left to his own devices, an I don't really get why the Doctor takes that view. And we JUST SAW the Doctor bust out Venusian Aikido or whatever to knock someone out in the most pacifist way possible in the last episode. So why the hell isn't she just knocking him out, tying him up in the Tardis, maybe hang out a day to make sure the Parks stuff goes down right, and then dropping him off with the Time Police or back to the prison that he was locked up in before? It's just a huge case of the Doctor being really, really dumb and that really disagreed with me, and it's another notch against the episode when even having a villain that neutered was a huge problem on its own, at least when portrayed the way he was.

It also sucks because I can imagine that same sort of bad guy who's unable to actually harm anyone could be a really good Moriarty-style mastermind character. Put him in some space station or with some more resources where he's just locking up people en-masse (maybe in very nice apartments), or make him a master of psychology who manipulates people into fighting one another in a workaround to not being able to harm others.

Also as far as I can tell, if he was able to shoot at randos with his time-jump gun with no consequences, then all he had to do was shoot Rosa into the future and it's mission accomplished. And we see him MEET ROSA before the Doctor is even really onto him.

Just too many holes in the story for me to like it. The racism, while blunt, was portrayed well and seemingly accurately, and of course meeting MLK is fun, but wasting what could be a fun Who villain setup and making the Doctor not just knock him out easily, at least by the time he ignored her warning (though immediately would have made more sense to me), really brought it down.

They didn't even have the bad guy make up some allegations against the two non-white companions and get the racist cops of the time after the good guys and create conflict for them that way. That's like, the easiest play for him to make and would have given the episode much higher stakes, and they just don't go that route.

I'm sure the Doctor does dumb things all the time to keep her from just wrapping up episodes in 15 minutes, but man this one got under my skin.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's very weird for almost everyone to be referring to Whittaker as "Jodie," as though they know her personally. It's not like people go about yakking about "William" and "Patrick."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Timby posted:

It's very weird for almost everyone to be referring to Whittaker as "Jodie," as though they know her personally. It's not like people go about yakking about "William" and "Patrick."

people totally say colin and tom though

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And sylv

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

HD DAD posted:

And sylv

SYLVESTE

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Subtle as a brick, but sometimes a brick's what you want.

The villain was completely uncompelling but as a plot device he more-or-less worked.

Yaz felt like less of an afterthought this week though she could still use more of a spotlight. Ryan being simultaneously completely frustrated and completely starstruck and just sort of blundering his way into meeting Martin Luther King Jr. was fun. Graham continues to be best. And I liked the Yaz and Ryan Explain The Plot stuff mostly because they were careful to establish that one victory, or a hundred victories, weren't going to magically make racism go away forever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AndyElusive posted:

"Oi! That's vandalism we're going to have to pay for that!"

"Don't worry! Special pen!"

"No! Pack it in! You ain't Banksy!"

"...or am I?" :ninja:

“Bet Banksy doesn’t have one of those. ....... OR DO I???”

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

calling Peter Capaldi "Peter" feels like calling my dad by his given name.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Watching this and tonight's Supergirl back to back was a real heavy dose of civil rights in my genre television. But, neither episode pooped on itself, so I call it a win.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My son noticed something I didn't:
Graham, by standing up to leave, became the white person Rosa had to get up for.
Goddamn Doctor Who.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

The way they kept saying everyone's full name every time was weird though. That's Rosa Parks! Hello Rosa Parks!

i thought that this was a pretty funny joke (especially in the scene where ryan was talking to her and MLK)

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 22, 2018

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Alternate ending where the Doctor accidentally screws everything up because she gave Rosa a modern era coat to fix, causing a temporal paradox.

I liked the episode, but it was heavy enough that I don't know that I want to watch again.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will say though the heavy, somber ending being punctuated by the “and next week, spiders!” trailer made me laugh out loud.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah after the subject matter and execution of this week I'm down for the Doctor and pals running from spiders.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ryan: You're scared of spiders?
Doctor: Well I got killed by the radiation emanating from a giant empress spider's lair once.... but I'm sure these ones are different.
Graham: Oh... t'riffic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Ryan: You're scared of spiders?
Doctor: Well I got killed by the radiation emanating from a giant empress spider's lair once.... but I'm sure these ones are different.
Graham: Please... I'm so hungry.........

there, fixed it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

there, fixed it

Yaz: Y'know I have to say that... uhhh... hang on, I'll get a bead on my character eventually.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh poo poo, was that the Meddling MonkPunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

NowonSA posted:

I didn't like this episode overall, though it did have some fun moments. Part of it is that it was so blunt about addressing racism, and I'm used to seeing that through at least a thin veneer in my sci-fi, with Star Trek being the prime example of that.

Far Beyond The Stars