Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mycomancy posted:

Hurring about a single species of insect being wiped out triggering an ecological collapse is loving stupid, we've wiped out WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than one species out of ecosystems and the ecosystems all withstood it. This wouldn't even wipe out ALL mosquitos just the malaria ones.

And yeah, that IS some privileged first world bullshit, loving WOLVES nearly went extinct because they cut into the profits of a few hundred people, so gently caress your concern and snuff those skeeters out.

Don't a lot of bats and other insectivores rely on mosquitoes, though? And just because we've wiped out species in the past doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so now. I'm not saying I'm against the idea -- I loving hate mosquitoes and I would love to never have to deal with them ever again -- but I'd really like it we had more data on the subject.

And if we eventually go for it, I'd rather not do so with an engineered virus. Sure, it might be just fine, it might work perfectly, or it might hop off the intended targets and cause further problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So if this is the same mosquito project they were talking about trying in the Florida Keys, the idea is more heavy population control rather than total removal. It makes a second generation of sterile mosquitoes, so it can collapse a population in a given area but since they're sterile they can't really propagate beyond that area. It's probably about as safe as you could make this kind of thing, with built in self-limiting and careful controls, and they were going to try it on an island in the keys first so even if it DID go wrong, it would be containable.

Naturally people in the Keys took them to court to block the trial so now we gotta test it in poor African countries because of course.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
yeah aedes aegypti is unlikely to be a keystone species

interestingly it's often the predators way up on the food web, rather than the lower down, because an ecosystem can adapt to eat a different grass or rodent, but if you lose the apex predators, the whole mess can go out of balance quite quickly

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Cant tell if you are seriously this stupid or doing a good impression.

Poe's law man

haha good one u stupid bitch

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Don't a lot of bats and other insectivores rely on mosquitoes, though? And just because we've wiped out species in the past doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so now. I'm not saying I'm against the idea -- I loving hate mosquitoes and I would love to never have to deal with them ever again -- but I'd really like it we had more data on the subject.

And if we eventually go for it, I'd rather not do so with an engineered virus. Sure, it might be just fine, it might work perfectly, or it might hop off the intended targets and cause further problems.

If it's the one I'm thinking of they actually have quite a lot of data on this, assuming it's the Florida Keys one, and they've done tons and tons of modeling and analysis and really went to great pains to make absolutely sure it's as safe as possible with as little possibility for side effects as they can. It's not like they just woke up one morning and decided to kill all the skeeters, they've been at this for years. IIRC the lead scientist on the team has been working on this for like over a decade, and is very aware of the possibility of unintended side effects or horrible outcomes. He's doing everything in his power to make sure nothing goes wrong, if anything does go wrong it's contained, and if it's not contained it's not catastrophic. poo poo keeps him up at night, even.

e: Wait where'd you get 'engineered virus' from, did something actually say that or did a poster in this thread say that? The project I know about is releasing genetically modified mosquitoes that will compete with natural ones to breed, and the generation of children they have will all be sterile, causing the population to collapse. There's no virus involved.

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 01:18 on Oct 22, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

"bats are more important than black people"

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i think there's also some research on just turning them into nonviable hosts for malaria, but i don't know how feasible that really is

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Screaming Idiot posted:

The idea is that there's no niche filled exclusively by mosquitoes. Usually there are other species that would flourish in the absence of M and fill their role - and often the ecosystem doesn't even need M at all, like most species that eat mosquito larvae only do so becuae the larvae eat their preferred food, so they leave them no other choice but to eat the larvae instead. Remove the mosquito from the equation and the other species actually get happier.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I'm as nervous about genetic modification in the wild being done willy-nilly without enough research too but of all the projects I've heard about the mosquito one really seemed like it was the most mature and developed, best thought out and least likely to ruin everything.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Screaming Idiot posted:

We're already killing most of the bats from white nose syndrome

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Genetically engineer mosquitoes with honey badger dna so they always target the scrotum

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The idea is that there's no niche filled exclusively by mosquitoes. Usually there are other species that would flourish in the absence of M and fill their role - and often the ecosystem doesn't even need M at all, like most species that eat mosquito larvae only do so becuae the larvae eat their preferred food, so they leave them no other choice but to eat the larvae instead. Remove the mosquito from the equation and the other species actually get happier.

yeahs thats what i remember reading too, that the models predicted the ecosystems would adapt without much trouble. also mosquitoes gently caress up animals too so the effect would be positive in some cases

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mycomancy posted:

Hurring about a single species of insect being wiped out triggering an ecological collapse is loving stupid, we've wiped out WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than one species out of ecosystems and the ecosystems all withstood it. This wouldn't even wipe out ALL mosquitos just the malaria ones.

And yeah, that IS some privileged first world bullshit, loving WOLVES nearly went extinct because they cut into the profits of a few hundred people, so gently caress your concern and snuff those skeeters out.

Look don't get me wrong gently caress those mosquitos I just think "virus engineering to wipe out specific species" is something the future FALGSC government can handle bc our current capitalist ones would probably end up wiping out all carbon based life on Earth.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

worrying about the effects of extinguishing a single species of mosquito seems like kind of missing the forest for the trees, because we're going to not have any forests left by the end of our generation's life because of climate change

I really like these posts because this chicken little bullshit is what's let assholes dismiss all climate change warnings as overblown squealing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Senor Dog posted:

"bats are more important than black people"

Or maybe I don't want whatever method used to control the mosquitoes to get out of hand and end up creating a far-reaching ecological to make conditions even worse. Like, hey, no more malaria! And also the virus used to sterilize the mosquitoes is now affecting a lot of the pollinators and other insect life fed upon by members of the food chain who are necessary to maintain animal populations and agriculture.

But hey, nice accusation of racism.

Shame Boy posted:

e: Wait where'd you get 'engineered virus' from, did something actually say that or did a poster in this thread say that? The project I know about is releasing genetically modified mosquitoes that will compete with natural ones to breed, and the generation of children they have will all be sterile, causing the population to collapse. There's no virus involved.

I've heard about the idea in the past and one of the ideas floated was engineering a virus that would turn mosquitoes sterile. There was a pretty neat story on gene editing on Last Week Tonight that explains a few of my qualms with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJm8PeWkiEU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Did you miss the bit where they're not thinking of "releasing a virus"?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Forests can't exist when the Earth is warm, that's why the fossil record shows forests didn't evolve until 2.6 million years ago when the poles froze over.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Byzantine posted:

I really like these posts because this chicken little bullshit is what's let assholes dismiss all climate change warnings as overblown squealing.

anyone taking a post by me on the something awful political shitposting subforum seriously enough to base a world view in reaction to it is too stupid to be worth wasting time or energy thinking about

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

starkebn posted:

Did you miss the bit where they're not thinking of "releasing a virus"?

The virus thing is what I would be apprehensive of, but anything to completely remove a species may have consequences of which we are unaware. We need more data, so we can not only make sure that removing them wouldn't cause further problems, but so that the method to remove the mosquitoes doesn't accidentally affect other species as well.

I'm not sure what the controversy is here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

The virus thing is what I would be apprehensive of, but anything to completely remove a species may have consequences of which we are unaware. We need more data, so we can not only make sure that removing them wouldn't cause further problems, but so that the method to remove the mosquitoes doesn't accidentally affect other species as well.

I'm not sure what the controversy is here.

How much data do you think we need, specifically? Because we already have a lot of data. Like I said, it's been in the works for years now, and quite a lot if not most of that time was spent studying effects, mitigation, etc, not developing the actual technology. It will be done slowly, in a self-limiting way, with constant monitoring of the ecosystem to make sure poo poo's not breaking down, and stopped the moment anything is out of the ordinary. It's not like they're just going to delete mosquitoes worldwide instantly and hope for the best.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Exactly, it's a single species of mosquito. Literally EVERY other mosquito would be unchanged and unharmed. The dead malaria mosquito would be replaced by all the other species in the area. So, whatever, murder that species.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but what if the malaria makes them taste good and the bats all get sad about them going away

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
They would also have a lot of data on hand about what happened when they were happily spraying DDT to reduce mosquitos. They didn't stop using DDT because the ecosystem was collapsing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

starkebn posted:

They would also have a lot of data on hand about what happened when they were happily spraying DDT to reduce mosquitos. They didn't stop using DDT because the ecosystem was collapsing.

No, actually, because at the time nobody was actually looking. It wasn't a coordinated project with procedures and checks and careful monitoring.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shame Boy posted:

How much data do you think we need, specifically? Because we already have a lot of data. Like I said, it's been in the works for years now, and quite a lot if not most of that time was spent studying effects, mitigation, etc, not developing the actual technology. It will be done slowly, in a self-limiting way, with constant monitoring of the ecosystem to make sure poo poo's not breaking down, and stopped the moment anything is out of the ordinary. It's not like they're just going to delete mosquitoes worldwide instantly and hope for the best.

How much data do I think we need? I don't know. I do know that we've been bitten in the rear end time and time again when we try to change things, though. I also know that we'll never be able to be completely sure about what we do, even after we do it -- the real consequences of our actions may not show up for generations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Those wolves going nearly extinct may have triggered the slow death of one of the largest and oldest organisms on the planet.

https://www.livescience.com/63852-failing-aspen-clone-utah.html

I mean ya killing that one breed of mosquito will probably be fine or ya we might accidentally do a very bad thing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Should i wipe my rear end? What fi it's bad 4 me. I have lots of data, but do i have enough??

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

There is no animal that eats mosquitos as their primary food source. Getting rid of one species of them to save a whole bunch of human lives is probably fine.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah why not just slaughter the rich take their wealth and help poor countries do whatever it is that rich countries have already demonstrably done to stop malaria. This is a solved problem already without needing future tech bioengineering that might right amok. It's just that you have to kill the rich.

Kill the rich.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah why not just slaughter the rich take their wealth and help poor countries do whatever it is that rich countries have already demonstrably done to stop malaria. This is a solved problem already without needing future tech bioengineering that might right amok. It's just that you have to kill the rich.

Kill the rich.

With 212 million cases and almost half a million deaths in a year (2015) I'm going to say that it's not a solved problem. In addition, some of the solutions, such as spraying insecticide everywhere and loving with brackish water ecosystems, will most certainly cause issues like pollinator loss and ecosystem collapse. Biotech is not some sort of horrid monster any more than any other tech if it's done with precision and care.

That being said, I'm 100% with you on your stance on decapitalism.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mycomancy posted:

decapitalism.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah why not just slaughter the rich take their wealth and help poor countries do whatever it is that rich countries have already demonstrably done to stop malaria.

Drain the swamp?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Shame Boy posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of they actually have quite a lot of data on this, assuming it's the Florida Keys one, and they've done tons and tons of modeling and analysis and really went to great pains to make absolutely sure it's as safe as possible with as little possibility for side effects as they can. It's not like they just woke up one morning and decided to kill all the skeeters, they've been at this for years. IIRC the lead scientist on the team has been working on this for like over a decade, and is very aware of the possibility of unintended side effects or horrible outcomes. He's doing everything in his power to make sure nothing goes wrong, if anything does go wrong it's contained, and if it's not contained it's not catastrophic. poo poo keeps him up at night, even.

i talked about modified viruses as a vector for genetic engineering so maybe ppl are confused about that???

gene drives are not viruses. viral vectors may* be used for creating the initial generation of gene driven mosquitoes, but would not be involved in spreading it to the wild; the modified mosquitoes themselves would be released, and they would pass on two copies of the gene drive genes to each of their offspring, rather htan just 50% of them.

*there are also other usable vectors. viruses are just one method of delivering dna to eukaryotic cells.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mycomancy posted:

With 212 million cases and almost half a million deaths in a year (2015) I'm going to say that it's not a solved problem.

That's why I specified rich countries though

quote:

In the United States, the National Malaria Eradication Program (NMEP) was launched on 1 July 1947. This federal program – with state and local participation – had succeeded in eradicating malaria in the United States by 1951.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

That's why I specified rich countries though

they literally did it with ddt

you have to have a pretty high bar for how poo poo this mosquito extinction is gonna be for it to be worse than ddt

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://dai.ly/x2n1kda

Don't fear the reaper.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they literally did it with ddt

you have to have a pretty high bar for how poo poo this mosquito extinction is gonna be for it to be worse than ddt

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

what if we gave all the malaria mosquitoes a lot of money and killed them all with miniature guillotines?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
No capitalism. No png.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EvilJoven posted:

Those wolves going nearly extinct may have triggered the slow death of one of the largest and oldest organisms on the planet.

https://www.livescience.com/63852-failing-aspen-clone-utah.html

That's a very sensationalist way of saying "deer have damaged several acres of woods"

Not that I don't appreciate the bigger point.