Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

hi guys

I'm thinking of going to the country Japan in December.

any thoughts or recommendations of what I should do? tia

i know something you shouldn't do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
The heck is avocado pig?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Great Autismo! posted:

hi guys

I'm thinking of going to the country Japan in December.

any thoughts or recommendations of what I should do? tia

Just for you, try suicide forest

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

caberham posted:

Just for you, try suicide forest

Cabe, please. He has a family

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
No he’s not going to kill him self, he lives a very healthy life style and he’s a very doting father.

He’s going to live a very long life and might even have decent access to medical care in the US. So yeah he’s going to be fine.

Well hopefully fine because he has left his family behind on multiple occasions

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

caberham posted:

No he’s not going to kill him self, he lives a very healthy life style and he’s a very doting father.

He’s going to live a very long life and might even have decent access to medical care in the US. So yeah he’s going to be fine.

:drat:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Keret posted:

That place looks rad, but yeah it's pretty far and sadly booked the days I'll be out there.

Related, I found this place, called Hatcho no Yu, while looking and holy crap, it looks beautiful. It's likewise out in the middle of nowhere (like 2.5 hours by bus from Nikko station) but I'm seriously considering just going out there and being really zen for a couple of days in the snow and mountains.
https://www.8tyo-no-yu.co.jp/index.php/topic/home_en

drat, how much is this place?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

if my posting is any indication, I'm doing them a favor by letting them live a moron free life, my choice should be celebrated. the ultimate sacrifice

also happy belated birthday dude

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

ALFbrot posted:

drat, how much is this place?

I booked one of the Japanese style rooms for 2 nights on Agoda for $107 per night. The single rooms in the adjoining cabin were $124 per night. Maybe because it's December? I dunno if they're more expensive other times.

It is going to be a pain in the rear end to get out to, eating up most of an afternoon on buses (they have a shuttle for the final leg at least), but I think it'll be worth it for the day I'll be out there. I'll post a trip report after I go. :cheers:

For that matter, I've been booking everything through Agoda because it was linked from Japan-guide, I hope they don't suck...

Keret fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 22, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And now you have me realizing that I don't have a single ryokan or onsen on my May itinerary.

Need to fix.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Keret posted:

I booked one of the Japanese style rooms for 2 nights on Agoda for $107 per night. The single rooms in the adjoining cabin were $124 per night. Maybe because it's December? I dunno if they're more expensive other times.

It is going to be a pain in the rear end to get out to, eating up most of an afternoon on buses (they have a shuttle for the final leg at least), but I think it'll be worth it for the day I'll be out there. I'll post a trip report after I go. :cheers:

For that matter, I've been booking everything through Agoda because it was linked from Japan-guide, I hope they don't suck...

The place you linked is a 4.4/5 on Rakuten and Jalan, which is 'ok' in terms of a review score. The bad reviews specifically noted issues with cleaning of rooms, issues with service, issues with cleaning of onsen, amenities, and too many foreigners. Note that when Japanese people say too many foreigners, they usually don't mean too many Americans (except in like Niseko lol), but Chinese. A 4.4 on these sites do not mean the place is bad; that I would reserve for 4.2 or lower.

In any case, please ignore me since these days I'm very nitpicky and careful about ryokans.

But on the other hand, consider renting a car instead of taking a train. I say this to legit everybody going to anywhere outside of a city. More freedom, no schedules, and it's not that expensive outside of the main highways. Theoretically you could rent in either Utsunomiya or Nikko and do w/e from there. Of course, there is a bit of concern since Dec. may be approaching winter season, but that's easily solved with winter tires (I've been to Japan in the dead winter in massive snow before and driven).

Also, agoda is bad but is basically the same as booking.com which is bad. They're trustworthy but the best places are hidden from these portals.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've stayed nearby and while it's not easy to get to via public transport, it's also not impossible. Just be sure to check the schedules of everything, since there's likely only a few buses per day. gently caress driving, drink instead.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

ntan1 posted:

The place you linked is a 4.4/5 on Rakuten and Jalan, which is 'ok' in terms of a review score. The bad reviews specifically noted issues with cleaning of rooms, issues with service, issues with cleaning of onsen, amenities, and too many foreigners. Note that when Japanese people say too many foreigners, they usually don't mean too many Americans (except in like Niseko lol), but Chinese. A 4.4 on these sites do not mean the place is bad; that I would reserve for 4.2 or lower.

In any case, please ignore me since these days I'm very nitpicky and careful about ryokans.

But on the other hand, consider renting a car instead of taking a train. I say this to legit everybody going to anywhere outside of a city. More freedom, no schedules, and it's not that expensive outside of the main highways. Theoretically you could rent in either Utsunomiya or Nikko and do w/e from there. Of course, there is a bit of concern since Dec. may be approaching winter season, but that's easily solved with winter tires (I've been to Japan in the dead winter in massive snow before and driven).

Also, agoda is bad but is basically the same as booking.com which is bad. They're trustworthy but the best places are hidden from these portals.

This is good info, thanks! I wasn't aware of what a good rating should be, numerically. I can't see those reviews on Rakuten for some reason, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

What do you think, from looking at them? Would you go for it, in my position?

I'll consider the car, but I'd really prefer not bothering with one.

Regarding bookings, what are good/better sites to go through for booking stuff in Japan? Should I cancel the Agoda ones and use something else?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Keret posted:

This is good info, thanks! I wasn't aware of what a good rating should be, numerically. I can't see those reviews on Rakuten for some reason, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

What do you think, from looking at them? Would you go for it, in my position?

I'll consider the car, but I'd really prefer not bothering with one.

Regarding bookings, what are good/better sites to go through for booking stuff in Japan? Should I cancel the Agoda ones and use something else?

ntan said as much himself, but all this is getting into the realm of nitpicking that you can go into on subsequent trips. For now it looks like what you've got is fine and will be a great addition to your trip, so I wouldn't sweat it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
^

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan is #1 onsen sperg itt

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually just rent a car. Seriously. GPS is easy enough, parking will be plentiful and you will save your travel time by half. I would avoid public transit. You don’t really save much money when you travel around the country side by public transit.

As for location/reviews, you probably won’t be able to tell much of a difference if Japan is very foreign to you

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Few days of dicking around in Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibya and I have probably seen more people than in my life before. Visited a hedgehog cafe today, it was truly a blessed place.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Sorbus posted:

Visited a hedgehog cafe today, it was truly a blessed place.

Cripple any and nerf to pay a fine?
Pet cafes can be grim places.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Renting a car in Aomori was one of the best decisions I made this last trip.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Sperg Chat Alert

For biz hotels any major portal works, although sometimes its cheaper to book on the official hotel website once you look them up through a portal.

For ryokans it can significantly vary, and English portals are not really good at explaining what the different options and different prices are (EG, they will sell one of each plan at different prices but with the same caption, and you wont know why one is more expensive than the other).

Additionally, some ryokans refuse to even put up their bookings on any portal, even Japanese ones. And beyond that, some ryokans put up their bookings for off peak on portals, but require folks to call in for like peak season in fall, as an example.

English reviews from things like tripadvisor and on any non-Japanese portal are also universally wrong or untrustworthy or not a good data point. They will either mark something a 5 because it's their first time at a ryokan and wow'ed by the experience, or they will mark something a 2/5 the food was too fancy and not vegan/the bath required that I be naked/the bedding was on the floor and therefore hard, or a 1/5 because the hotel lady couldn't speak fluent English.

These days I book based on a combination of Rakuten/Jalan in Japanese, Japanese blogs, and other various random sources. Also, all minshuku are good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
there are roundtrip flights to haneda for $666, but the last one departs on may 2... how's visiting japan on the tail end of turbo golden week?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

p fantastic, go for it, hail satan

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

there are roundtrip flights to haneda for $666, but the last one departs on may 2... how's visiting japan on the tail end of turbo golden week?

It’ll be good, departures at Haneda might be busy but the city will likely be dead empty.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Phone posted:

i did it once, my first day in Osaka was a bit crowded but then it was fine.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also looking more likely than not the country will basically be shut down from April 27th to May 6th due to the Emperor abdicated on 4/30 and Golden Week going on.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Public schools yes but hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions will be very, very open!
Dunno about atms though lol

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Sorbus posted:

Few days of dicking around in Ikebukuro, Shinjuku and Shibya and I have probably seen more people than in my life before. Visited a hedgehog cafe today, it was truly a blessed place.

Do you have any suggestions for Ikebukuro and Shinjuku? I'd like to check out both areas while I'm in Tokyo but I'm not really sure what to do there yet.

With 8 days in Tokyo, I'm hoping to spend a day each split up something like: Shimokitazawa (I'm staying there), Koenji, Shibuya/Daikan-yama, Shinjuku/Ikebukuro, Harajuku/Aoyama/Roppongi, Shimbashi/Chiyoda, Tsukiji/Odaiba, and Akihabara/Ueno. No idea if I can cover that much ground yet or not, but I guess I'll see!

Also, I would kind of like to see some folk/traditional performances. Would you all suggest going to see a Kabuki performance, and if so which city is best to do so? Is there a good place for me to check out folk music? What other cool traditional Japanese things/entertainment are worth checking out (preferably not overdone tourist stuff though that may be unavoidable)?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wandering aimlessly from Ikebukuro to Shibuya or vice versa is a perfectly good way to spend a day (assuming it's not summer). North and south of Ueno is even better IMO but that's individual opinion.

I would personally spend at least one day in Tokyo with zero plans just walking around until your feet fall off, it's great.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Can I ask superbly ignorant questions about some travel I want to do to Japan from New Zealand next year in this thread?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The used panty vending machines are mostly a myth, sorry.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you have a passport?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

caberham posted:

Do you have a passport?

I will soon, going into the post shop tomorrow to send off my picture and I'm done.

Anyway, my plan is staying over there for a little less than three months over their summer. During this time I will be working the same job as I do now, writing online for a company based in the UK. My question is what do I need in terms of declaring/work visa in order to make this legal?

sale on Banksy art posted:

The used panty vending machines are mostly a myth, sorry.

As a Kiwi my clothesline shopping skills are next to none, why would I stoop to paying for that which I can get for free? Or do you mean like freshly used?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bushmaori posted:

Anyway, my plan is staying over there for a little less than three months over their summer. During this time I will be working the same job as I do now, writing online for a company based in the UK. My question is what do I need in terms of declaring/work visa in order to make this legal?

My advice is to not worry about it. Just say you're a tourist and enjoy your time there. They aren't going to ask if you're also doing poo poo on the internet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Have you ever stayed overseas for that long?

You probably want to Airbnb a place for a few weeks at a time if you have work to do instead of just backpacking across the country

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

caberham posted:

Have you ever stayed overseas for that long?

You probably want to Airbnb a place for a few weeks at a time if you have work to do instead of just backpacking across the country

Nah not overseas, but I've similar stints in places around NZ. Granted I speak a lot more English than I do Japanese, but part of the reason I want to try it is the isolation.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bushmaori posted:

There’s no real way to make this legal but at the same time the kenpeitai aren’t going to come busting down your door

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

There’s no real way to make this legal but at the same time the kenpeitai aren’t going to come busting down your door

Is Japan not keen on foreigners doing this sort of work? I mean I still pay taxes to the NZ government here while I work, so I have no problem doing the same for Japan, FWIW.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Grand Fromage posted:

Wandering aimlessly from Ikebukuro to Shibuya or vice versa is a perfectly good way to spend a day (assuming it's not summer). North and south of Ueno is even better IMO but that's individual opinion.

I would personally spend at least one day in Tokyo with zero plans just walking around until your feet fall off, it's great.

Hell make it 2 days and you wouldn't regret it. (Except for your feet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bushmaori posted:

Is Japan not keen on foreigners doing this sort of work? I mean I still pay taxes to the NZ government here while I work, so I have no problem doing the same for Japan, FWIW.

I take it you’ve never work overseas because remote work like that basically isn’t legal anywhere insofar as I know (some place may be an exception). In essentially every country if you’re performing revenue generating activity you need to have a visa and often be contractually employed with an incorporated company, or have contracts with customers if self-employed, etc.

Technically all the “digital nomad” types are usually illegal, but it’s a bit of a gray area which nobody cares enough to actually follow up with.