Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wish they'd just delete all those pointless logos you can throw into mid air. I feel like there are so many more things they could have for you to unlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

codo27 posted:

Wish they'd just delete all those pointless logos you can throw into mid air. I feel like there are so many more things they could have for you to unlock

Like sloth pet backpack

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

codo27 posted:

That's the point really, they're meant to be filler to space out the stuff you actually care about.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I still dunno whats going on with that ice cream truck in dusty. Jist I got when I looked it up was it was from a previous season, but whys is still chest-noising?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

codo27 posted:

I still dunno whats going on with that ice cream truck in dusty. Jist I got when I looked it up was it was from a previous season, but whys is still chest-noising?

2 or 3 seasons ago you had to visit ice cream trucks and they had 100k health. One was at the divot and after the meteor hit a chest was supposed to spawn under it, but they didnt change the value of the trucks health from 100k. So it became a in joke.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

codo27 posted:

Cuz theres a chest under it. When I drop dusty I keep my eyes peeled for a port a fort to break the van with.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

InsertPotPun posted:

I just really like ringing doorbells. honestly they can add tons of stupid pointless poo poo and I'll die at least once every five matches doing it.

I know it's for a challenge, but I wish it would continue to do a little flash of light if you ring it and there's an enemy inside. Not only is it fun to do, it would be pretty useful too.

The island is doing things again. All of the runes fell, it's moving off toward Tilted Towers/Leaky Lake region, the cube on the bottom is pulsing madly and the cube growths on top are glowing and poo poo.

I kinda miss when things would happen during a match though. All of the stuff this season has been updated only when you load into a new match. I guess it keeps people from using server resources to sit in a playground match and watch 24/7 for something to happen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shame on me

Actually, I tracked him by his building ramps on the side of a hill and tried to snipe him so I didn't just barge in on him playing around doing tricks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question from a non player: did they ever segregate mouse/keyboard and controller players? Come to think of it, is this even an issue specific to fortnite since ps4 does native kbm? I cant think of many crossplat games except rocket league and that's xbox/switch/pc only iirc

but you can do xbox kbm through some roundabout way iirc

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yes, mouse and keyboard players on PS4 are queued with PC players. The reverse is not true for players using a controller on PC though.

edit: if you're using a XIM or some similar unofficial mouse and keyboard setup on PS4 though I'm pretty sure the game can't detect it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know it's hard to gather data beyond anecdotes and speculation but has there been a noticeable ownage disparity between kbm and controller/pc and console etc

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Was able to play the last of the solo practice tournament last night after getting back from holiday. Managed to get 18 points, so close to getting the pin! I had a few 2 & 4 kill games, so one more kill in just a couple of them would have made the difference. At first I was unsure about the tournament format but I quite like it. It added some excitement to the session overall, rather than just individual games. The skill based matchmaking also meant fights were of significantly higher quality than regular solos once it adjusted, which definitely made for a more interesting mid & end game.

Alan Smithee posted:

I know it's hard to gather data beyond anecdotes and speculation but has there been a noticeable ownage disparity between kbm and controller/pc and console etc

It was many years ago but microsoft were testing crossplay out in a shooter and came to the conclusion that even average PC players were stomping good console players. This might have changed since there's been a decade of console playing since then and some of the poo poo people do on console now blows my mind. These practice tournaments fortnite are running just now throw everyone into the same matchmaker, so I'm hoping they share some of that data once it's over.

I believe they can detect XIM users now, not sure if they're receiving data from the consoles to allow them to detect it or simply spotting wasd vs joystick movement. There's been reports of xim users being kicked after a couple of minutes due to incorrect input device for the match rather than simply being matched against kbm users. Microsoft claim to provide devs with an api that allows them to see xim users, but I'm skeptical since I don't think any game has ever used it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

objectively bad posted:

I believe they can detect XIM users now, not sure if they're receiving data from the consoles to allow them to detect it or simply spotting wasd vs joystick movement. There's been reports of xim users being kicked after a couple of minutes due to incorrect input device for the match rather than simply being matched against kbm users. Microsoft claim to provide devs with an api that allows them to see xim users, but I'm skeptical since I don't think any game has ever used it.

XIM recently patched it's, uh, XIM so it's back to being undetected. I learned this the hard way earlier today when the last squad alive in a match had a XIM user on it. I was living in the penthouse of tilted towers after that match.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Since they weren't banned and just kicked from individual games epic could probably spend a few days monitoring the inputs of previously identified xim users and spot what xim has done. I'm guessing they've just given all joystick actions slight acceleration so it doesn't go from 0 to 100% skipping everything in between.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've mentioned my situation before, away from home for work so I play on gfs xbox during the week where we're staying and on PC when I go home on the weekends. I'm the stereotypical old man the kids dont want to play with on xbox (ok maybe not that bad) and on PC? Jumped into my first game on Saturday and just casually sniping hopping fools with dual pistols like fuckin Clint Eastwood. The high frames and Gsync & whatever dont hurt either. But yeah if the PS4 of all things can handle kbm I dont know why its not native supported on xbox, especially with the advent of cross play which I'm not sure how many developers will get onboard with.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
It's probably just Microsoft tiptoeing around trying to make it so people don't call the Xbox One a PC.
The support is weird, because I've plugged a keyboard and mouse in and tried to run Fortnite. The keyboard worked but the mouse didn't. It's been a while since I tried though.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I hit the absolute llama jackpot in a game of Disco Domination last night. I found 3 of them, 2 right next to each other and then another one a short run away. All right by the motel. When I went into replay mode to get a screenshot, I found 2 more nearby. One was up the mountain and one was right next to a house in Pleasant Park.

Edit: Looks like they are adding the glider redeploy to all of the regular modes in the next update tomorrow.
Seems like it's a trial run to see how it goes: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/glider-re-deploy-test

Nullsmack fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 23, 2018

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So founder's packs are on sale for 50% off on PS Store

Can anyone give me a rundown on what one of these will get me if I only care about Battle Royale, makin vbucks for dope skins, and am not real enthused about the idea of PVE Fortnite?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on what one of these will get me if I only care about Battle Royale, makin vbucks for dope skins, and am not real enthused about the idea of PVE Fortnite?

If you want to play PvE buy the cheapest one.

The extra ones don't give anything special you can't get by using more v-bucks. And you can always "upgrade" to the next package if you feel is the right options.

In sort, buy the cheapest option.

Buying the PvE for the vbucks? it may work for you, but is going to make that time miserable for anyone playing with you, and maybe for you yourself. It can be a good trade off if you have a lot of hours, and no money. Maybe a bad tradeoff if you have limited time, and a job.

Playing PvE gets a bit tiresome because the game is infested with leechers, afk's, and every time of abusive type imaginable. Is going to be fun with friends, but alone, not so much. Except if you are some sort of saint. But even then, I guest you can do something else with your time, like healing people with cancer by waving your hands.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Gray Matter posted:

So founder's packs are on sale for 50% off on PS Store

Nothing, mostly. It's access to PvE content. I don't think I'm forgetting about it giving you a bunch of VBucks, but I could be wrong.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tei posted:

Playing PvE gets a bit tiresome because the game is infested with leechers, afk's, and every time of abusive type imaginable. Is going to be fun with friends, but alone, not so much. Except if you are some sort of saint. But even then, I guest you can do something else with your time, like healing people with cancer by waving your hands.

Honestly, I haven't run into many leechers/afkers at all and I'm up to canny now, even in plankerton/stonewood I didn't see many.

The issue with the game is it gets grindy as gently caress later.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I just encountered two people working together in solo mode for the first time... and absolutely destroyed them. Man that felt good.

:getin:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

PVE is much, much better than it used to be but there isn't any point to go past Canny.

They give you like 3-4x everything that they used to, you can buy amazing weapons and heroes in the store for free gold, and you can also upgrade and reroll perks

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Nullsmack posted:

Edit: Looks like they are adding the glider redeploy to all of the regular modes in the next update tomorrow.
Seems like it's a trial run to see how it goes: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/glider-re-deploy-test

Glider redeploy is going to be nuts. They're going to have it live during the big pro LAN tournament at Twitchcon...not sure who thought doing a complete balance changing test during a multi-million dollar was a good idea.

I'm pretty excited to try it myself. Definitely used to the way it is now, but lore-wise why wouldn't you be able to Mary Poppins at any time? It will make a lot of different playstyles easier...tower builders / snipers, map-edge landers, double barrel rushers, teamwork flanking or kiting. End game storms seem like they'll be a cluster gently caress of people flying and landing just next to each other.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The sheer disbelief as the two teammates I knock out are actually the last two people standing and I just won a solo squad match against all odds.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

On the weekend I needed to outlive 150 people in squads and I did it in 2 matches playing solo dont fill. Got like last 3 and last 2 or 4? So easy to spot 4 guys jumping around like fools. So easy to disappear when you are alone. If the shooting mechanics were worth a gently caress I feel like I could win these most of the time

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Mongoose posted:

Glider redeploy is going to be nuts. They're going to have it live during the big pro LAN tournament at Twitchcon...not sure who thought doing a complete balance changing test during a multi-million dollar was a good idea.

We've already had soaring LTMs of the regular modes so I wouldn't call it a complete balance change, and arguably that's the best time to do balance changes at the top level because you get to see how those changes come into play when players are extremely motivated to win.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v6-20

Hand cannon changes are out of this world. I'm gonna start carrying them over SMG since it can be used as a fake double pump, a hitscan sniper and probably the best wall replacement weapon in the game.

objectively bad fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 24, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Glider redeploy in regular games is gonna be such a huge change to now, but I guess with the floating island flying round the map they've gotten a sample of how this will look in regular modes already, but it will significantly change the way people play. I'm interested to see how it turns out but I don't think I'll like it if it leads to people building huge unassailable towers they can just abandon and reposition risk-free when you try to take them down. That sounds like a lovely meta

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Glider redeploy in regular games is gonna be such a huge change to now, but I guess with the floating island flying round the map they've gotten a sample of how this will look in regular modes already, but it will significantly change the way people play. I'm interested to see how it turns out but I don't think I'll like it if it leads to people building huge unassailable towers they can just abandon and reposition risk-free when you try to take them down. That sounds like a lovely meta

Agreed, I don’t see how this will not reintroduce the problem that the bouncers were. Hell, it’s like a better bouncer since you control the descent and thus don’t make yourself a predictable hitbox on rails.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Agreed, I don’t see how this will not reintroduce the problem that the bouncers were. Hell, it’s like a better bouncer since you control the descent and thus don’t make yourself a predictable hitbox on rails.

It could be that epic didn't think the problem with bouncers was the ability to get down from towers/build fights, but the fact that the ability to do was rng based. Now I can fully commit to ever fight.

I'm not sure I'd say glider re-deploy is better than bouncers either because bouncers allowed you to shoot as you fell, build as you landed and you moved a lot faster. Sure in a predictable trajectory, but I'd say someone gliding is a lot easier to hit.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

PVE is much, much better than it used to be but there isn't any point to go past Canny.

They give you like 3-4x everything that they used to, you can buy amazing weapons and heroes in the store for free gold, and you can also upgrade and reroll perks

Make that 10 times more rewards compared with earlier. :v:

Also maps are easily thrice as fast (if you're not doing a set timer lovely one).

Epic also started handling taxis (high players dropping low players in high maps), which accounted for 90% of the leeching/afking.

My biggest complaint is that there's 0 challenge left in PvE. And so far the only "challenge" they introduced, was a lazy endless health/damage scaling one. Needless to say it was boring and cheesed within 2 days. Also it was a limited time event.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

objectively bad posted:

It could be that epic didn't think the problem with bouncers was the ability to get down from towers/build fights, but the fact that the ability to do was rng based. Now I can fully commit to ever fight.

I'm not sure I'd say glider re-deploy is better than bouncers either because bouncers allowed you to shoot as you fell, build as you landed and you moved a lot faster. Sure in a predictable trajectory, but I'd say someone gliding is a lot easier to hit.

Bouncer tower meta felt lame to me so I hope they reconsider this, similarly to the destructive storm walls. Reckless building should be penalised, much like reckless anything else is.

As for bouncer advantage I don’t fully agree with you. Yes, you could hit shotgun shots or splodes reliably, but if you were getting shot you couldn’t change direction to put an object between yourself and the attacker, or play with gliding and dividing depending if you want to go as far as possible or land as soon as possible. The only strict bouncer advantage that isn’t highly situational, in my opinion, is the option to do mega launchpads.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
If they're basically putting husks into BR, this could be a widespread test for Android/IOS/Switch Save the World?

Maybe?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

question about rocket riding: I haven't seen any videos of it but could two people fire rockets at each other and ride them? If so could two players remote control each other while riding each other's rockets?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Husks in Battle Royale.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I think I approve.

edit: I love it, I dropped in squads and started farming husks and got 6 kills off other players rushing in and not noticing me, and my teammate sounded like he was having a literal aneurysm screaming at me for being a poo poo 12 year old noob who should go back to the kiddie mode :D

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 24, 2018

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Bouncer tower meta felt lame to me so I hope they reconsider this, similarly to the destructive storm walls. Reckless building should be penalised, much like reckless anything else is.

As for bouncer advantage I don’t fully agree with you. Yes, you could hit shotgun shots or splodes reliably, but if you were getting shot you couldn’t change direction to put an object between yourself and the attacker, or play with gliding and dividing depending if you want to go as far as possible or land as soon as possible. The only strict bouncer advantage that isn’t highly situational, in my opinion, is the option to do mega launchpads.

I dunno, I have a much a easier time hitting people changing direction while gliding than I do hitting someone moving much faster along a predictable trajectory. I think it's down to needing much smaller/slower mouse movements between flick shots. You also don't really spend that much time in the air when bouncing, even compared to diving until you're forced to open your glider which means you don't get that many chances to shoot (with fsa/reasonable bloom) before they can build & shoot back properly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

objectively bad posted:

I dunno, I have a much a easier time hitting people changing direction while gliding than I do hitting someone moving much faster along a predictable trajectory. I think it's down to needing much smaller/slower mouse movements between flick shots. You also don't really spend that much time in the air when bouncing, even compared to diving until you're forced to open your glider which means you don't get that many chances to shoot (with fsa/reasonable bloom) before they can build & shoot back properly.

Not sure why have problems hitting more predictable targets compared to less predictable targets but whatever, we won’t find agreement here anyways since bounce time and end of landing glide are both too situational to generalise imo, due to their terrain dependence. I am however more inclined to agree with bouncer being a better option thinking further since earlier on it didn’t hit me that you can’t gain height advantage with gliding.

Either way, even the patch notes wording doesn’t make it seem a set in stone change with currently being thrown around, so time will show. I’m generally poo poo at predicting meta in this game.

Some other interesting stuff in patch notes too, by the way. I’m curious to see how the hand cannon changes settle down (it could compete against hunting rifle for a slot now imo). Also the effective range on six shooter fth.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snuck in a quick game this morning just to peep the changes. The new cutscene was nifty. The corrupted stone thingies spawning StW baddies are pretty tight. You could theoretically just camp one out and farm the absolute gently caress out of it, which I'm not sure is a good thing?

Can't wait to try out the new Deagle, that poo poo is my fuckin JAM :getin:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I see it does more damage but is it still slow as gently caress due to previously unexplained reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not sure why have problems hitting more predictable targets compared to less predictable targets but whatever, we won’t find agreement here anyways since bounce time and end of landing glide are both too situational to generalise imo, due to their terrain dependence. I am however more inclined to agree with bouncer being a better option thinking further since earlier on it didn’t hit me that you can’t gain height advantage with gliding.

The speed of the target was a pretty big part of what I was saying about finding it easier to hit slow unpredictable vs fast predictable. Against the slow unpredictable target it's about getting the aim right, because you're essentially trying to freeze time and aim at where they are when you flick and when you "freeze" time the slow moving target will occupy the space you've chosen to fire for a much longer window than a fast moving target. Against the fast predictable target is about getting the timing right because you know where they're going to be, you just need to make you fire when they're there. I dunno if that makes any sense, but which is easier to shoot at is really just muscle memory and not something we need to agree or disagree on.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m curious to see how the hand cannon changes settle down (it could compete against hunting rifle for a slot now imo). Also the effective range on six shooter fth.

I'm extremely excited for to try the deagle. I'd considered using pump + deagle after they removed double pump but the smg meta, their ability to break walls and the fact that a grey AR was better than a deagle at range meant I was dropping them pretty quick outside of early game fights within a a point of interest. Now all of those issues are solved.

I'm not sure how I feel about fth. The reveal skin this season is gonna be mccree. They better not add stuns and combat rolls next.