Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you just notice the part where Toht saluted with the burn marks on his hand in focus?
That is what I inferred it from, but I definitely remember seeing that when I was a kid. I just didn’t connect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Just finished season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I love that the intro song for season 2 is foreshadowing for the season finale reveal: "I'm just a girl in love. I can't be held responsible for my actions." Also I like that her psychiatrist has given her a partial diagnosis, in calling out her flashbacks as Dissociative Memory episodes, also that the musical thing is how most of her mental illness expresses itself - she thinks it's a coping mechanism, but it's more a genuine hallucination.

Gonna start season 3 later.

This show sounds like my kind of poo poo (the spoiler part of this post and what a friend has told me makes it sound like bits of "Bojack Horseman" and "You're the Worst") and every song I've heard from it has been hilarious. So why has it been so hard for me to get into it? I've seen the first episode a couple times and have gotten maybe 3-4 episodes in, but I always end up losing interest and looking for anything else.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Homeybeef posted:

This show sounds like my kind of poo poo (the spoiler part of this post and what a friend has told me makes it sound like bits of "Bojack Horseman" and "You're the Worst") and every song I've heard from it has been hilarious. So why has it been so hard for me to get into it? I've seen the first episode a couple times and have gotten maybe 3-4 episodes in, but I always end up losing interest and looking for anything else.

It's about woman's issues from a woman's point of view which you don't get to see very often. You'll either find it refreshing and relatable or kind of weird and uncomfortable.
Also, Rebecca is not a good person (her song about "I'm a good person" not withstanding) and it takes two and a half seasons for her to realize it.
She stumbles around being selfish and oblivious but accidentally pushes the people around her into becoming better people.

If you don't like it after six episodes, you probably won't like it at all. You can go watch all the music videos on YouTube. Follow rebeccadoesstuff to see classics like "You Can Touch My Boobies" and "gently caress Me, Ray Bradbury".

#edit racheldoesstuff obviously

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Oct 21, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The most important hockey masks in cinema are these.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
One of my favourite aspects to the whole thing is that Josh is very handsome and likeable, but also genuinely kind of stupid. Bless him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One final thing about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, a particular song for Greg: It's obvious that with "I could If I wanted to" that he is bubbling with rage, and the chorus is him feeling small bursts of his real emotions (If I cared, but I don't.... BUT I COULD IF I WANTED TO!), but due to his alcoholism he immediately buries it again. It's not until the reprise that he finally allows himself to feel his anger properly. He wants all of that, he wants As in his classes, he wants a successful job and a family but he is lying to himself about it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HopperUK posted:

One of my favourite aspects to the whole thing is that Josh is very handsome and likeable, but also genuinely kind of stupid. Bless him.

They make him too dumb some times and that's one of the biggest drags in the show imo

Anywya a clever smart thing in CXGF is that you have White Josh and Josh rather than Josh and Asian Josh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Homeybeef posted:

There's shows I bounced off I thought I'd like and then years later I got into and ones I just never got into. Try it again if you're randomly keen for it and binge, but there's not big changing point etc. where you "get it". It's a show that found it's stride in the first ep imo. For better or worse it gets what it's going for immedialtey

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

There's shows I bounced off I thought I'd like and then years later I got into and ones I just never got into. Try it again if you're randomly keen for it and binge, but there's not big changing point etc. where you "get it". It's a show that found it's stride in the first ep imo. For better or worse it gets what it's going for immedialtey

I have a really bad habit of discounting shows too early. I'll give them another shot once they have been out for a while and kick myself for not sticking with them.

Breaking Bad, Parks n Rec and Supernatural I guess. Though Supernatural is so loving stupid, I cannot help myself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

pr has a garbo first season, if I rec it to anyone I tell them to skip it or at least understand those first 6 episodes are not a good indicator of the show

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I have a really bad habit of discounting shows too early. I'll give them another shot once they have been out for a while and kick myself for not sticking with them.

Breaking Bad, Parks n Rec and Supernatural I guess. Though Supernatural is so loving stupid, I cannot help myself.

While the demon stuff and arc is what ended up making Supernatural take off, I do miss when it was a show about traveling the country killing urban legends and mythology.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On a different Netflix thing I'm really enjoying The Good Place. I kind of like the irony that the main character was nowhere good enough to get into The Good Place without the clerical error, but she is the only one to do things like asking about the Bad Place where everyone else just tries to ignore that it is a thing. Only about 4 eps in so far, but it's fun.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

pr has a garbo first season, if I rec it to anyone I tell them to skip it or at least understand those first 6 episodes are not a good indicator of the show
This is very true, plus season 2's opening is one of my favourite jokes in the entire series tbh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUx4AvVBkIg

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

On a different Netflix thing I'm really enjoying The Good Place. I kind of like the irony that the main character was nowhere good enough to get into The Good Place without the clerical error, but she is the only one to do things like asking about the Bad Place where everyone else just tries to ignore that it is a thing. Only about 4 eps in so far, but it's fun.

:allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:same:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Bio I recommend you inject the show straight into your veins and don't read SA until this evening when you're finished.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BioEnchanted posted:

PLEASE just watch the show as much as you can right now and don't read anything about the show and and and

I love The Good Place.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm nthing that sentiment, The Good Place is incredible and you should binge the whole first season as fast as possible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BioEnchanted posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm surprised there aren't more Parks and Rec cameos. IIRC only Adam Scott showed up.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for reminding me that I need to watch the second half of the first season of the Good Place. I liked what I watched, I just put it down because I wasn't watching as much tv at the time.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The first season of The Good Place, to me, is pretty close to TV perfection.

And I agree that there is no filler. Some episodes don't have quite the same fire as the rest but overall it is a delight.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Don't read the spoilers.
Don't go into Good Place Threads.
Don't.
Don't.
You just clicked this, didn't you? Don't do it again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aphrodite posted:

While the demon stuff and arc is what ended up making Supernatural take off, I do miss when it was a show about traveling the country killing urban legends and mythology.

They had a Slenderman episode where the whole thing is a Scooby-doo hoax turned murderous.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I really really liked series 1 and 2 of the Good Place. It is a good show.

Series 3 is leaving me cold though. Not as cool, not as funny, not anywhere near as interesting. Although I am impressed with the Neurologist's Australian accent. It is a hard one to pull off, and while she doesn't get it entirely right, she gets most of the way there which is more than can be said for most American actors.

I am intentionally saying nothing about plot or story because there is the person who is only half way through the first series, and I do not want to ruin it for them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

I really really liked series 1 and 2 of the Good Place. It is a good show.

Series 3 is leaving me cold though. Not as cool, not as funny, not anywhere near as interesting. Although I am impressed with the Neurologist's Australian accent. It is a hard one to pull off, and while she doesn't get it entirely right, she gets most of the way there which is more than can be said for most American actors.

I am intentionally saying nothing about plot or story because there is the person who is only half way through the first series, and I do not want to ruin it for them.

I would have agreed with you a few days ago but the latest episode is the best thing since the first season aired

(not just the best thing in the show, the best thing period.)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's surprising, because season 3 in particular has a 100% on rotten tomatoes so far.

I haven't seen it yet, only the first two, so I don't actually know how good it is. I loved the first two seasons, though, and will be glad to binge the third season after it finishes airing. As a coincidence, the final season 3 episode is scheduled to air the day after I have to turn in my big huge semester 2/year 1 final project for nursing school, so hopefully it will be an elated watch not a scared watch.

Nobody say anything about season 1 or 2 because

BrigadierSensible posted:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
All I'll say is that William Jackson Harper can spend the whole rest of the series with his shirt off as far as I'm concerned. Mercy.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm nthing that sentiment, The Good Place is incredible and you should binge the whole first season as fast as possible.

I started watching The Good Place on a friends recommendation not even knowing what it was about. Just that it was apparently great. Got through the first season in one night and I am glad I did. The first episode of the second season might be the best of the series.

On topic, I saw an article that mentions this after the most recent episode (minor spoiler) the first season has Eleanor mention that Chidi is surprisingly ripped. Felt like a quick joke. This new episode has Chidi take off his shirt and drat, he is surprisingly ripped..

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Besesoth posted:

All I'll say is that William Jackson Harper can spend the whole rest of the series with his shirt off as far as I'm concerned. Mercy.

He should play Superman.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Don Gato posted:

Huh I thought I saw every episode growing up but Speed Racer: Fury Road isn't ringing any bells.

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress you for accidentally creating the greatest racing movie concept of all time

I’m jotting this down because I have to draw this once I have time.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainCrunch posted:

I’m jotting this down because I have to draw this once I have time.

It is a choice GIS

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Queen Combat posted:

It is a choice GIS

Hah! I haven’t even gotten that far yet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more Parks and Rec cameos. IIRC only Adam Scott showed up.

Jason Mantzoukas was in both. I didn't watch Parks and Rec, so I don't know any more, I just knew Jason from Brooklyn 99.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

Jason Mantzoukas was in both. I didn't watch Parks and Rec, so I don't know any more, I just knew Jason from Brooklyn 99.

That's his name! He's always the same crazy person.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Good Place will be a show taught in screenwriting classes on taking what seems to be a quirky, but limited idea and somehow turning it into 3 seasons of the best 30 minute television in a decade. I keep on thinking they're write themselves into a plot corner and then the show will stagnant but it never happens.

And yes, don't read anything about this show.

Queen Combat posted:

That's his name! He's always the same crazy person.

He went to college in Vermont which sounds very un-Jason Mantzoukas like. I have a hard time imaging a chill version of him.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jason Mantzoukas is in John Wick 3 as a character named Tick Tock Man.

That's the greatest sentence I have ever typed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Good Place will be a show taught in screenwriting classes on taking what seems to be a quirky, but limited idea and somehow turning it into 3 seasons of the best 30 minute television in a decade. I keep on thinking they're write themselves into a plot corner and then the show will stagnant but it never happens.

And yes, don't read anything about this show.

He went to college in Vermont which sounds very un-Jason Mantzoukas like. I have a hard time imaging a chill version of him.

I saw him on Charlie Rose or some other calm talk show and he was just a normal dude. It was weird.

Actually the weirdest part was when he talked about his uniform. He basically wears the same outfit for every interview and stuff like press conferences.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is in John Wick 3 as a character named Tick Tock Man.

That's the greatest sentence I have ever typed.

Who's playing the Harlequin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I only know Jason Mantzoukas from his podcast about lovely movies called How Did This Get Made? so it's always slightly weird whenever I see him on a movie poster or in a trailer. "Hey it's the podcast guy!"