Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

shirts and skins posted:

Then why on earth did you say anything

What an ill advised post, I honestly can't imagine what you were thinking

Always check the rap sheet. Career shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What is the central theme of OOTS?

I feel like we are close enough to the end to be able to have a stab at it, and it's enough of a conscious piece of pop literature that it will have one.

To me it's in people as objects, versus people as people. Consider redcloaks speech to tsukiko, when he had no reason to lie. Compare that to the Order.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
fathers being obsolete and/or fuckers ?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's a weak theme, though I do think we can draw some tentative conclusions about Rich's dad. What else?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

really, it's about the spell slots we made along the way

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How do you beat a campaign? One 5 foot step at a time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dreadmojo posted:

That's a weak theme, though I do think we can draw some tentative conclusions about Rich's dad. What else?

I think the central theme is learning from previous generations and also learning that previous generations are flawed and you can't discount them but also need to grow past them.

"Bad Dad" plays into this but especially with the reveal of the cycle of worlds and how the only way to fix it is something new..

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I don’t know if there’s one central theme, but if I had to pick one, I’d say redemption / atoning for past mistakes. See Celia’s argument at the trail, Roy’s judgment after his death, the difference in Vaarsuvius’ (and to a lesser extent, Belkar’s) redemption arcs to Miko’s final moments. There’s probably more and they could be fleshed out better - this is all I could think of off the top of my head.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
The central theme is "protect your thumbs"
Elan even sang a song about it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

dreadmojo posted:

How do you beat a campaign? One 5 foot step at a time

The thing about dungeon crawls?

The dungeon always wins.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MildShow posted:

I dont know if theres one central theme, but if I had to pick one, Id say redemption / atoning for past mistakes. See Celias argument at the trail, Roys judgment after his death, the difference in Vaarsuvius (and to a lesser extent, Belkars) redemption arcs to Mikos final moments. Theres probably more and they could be fleshed out better - this is all I could think of off the top of my head.

I think it's acceptance over redemption, as in accepting who you are and what role you wanna play in this world. The Snarl is basically setting up a situation where people are gonna have to accept a new God to save the world, which itself was mirrored by Redcloak accepting his fellow hobgoblins to win the siege. Roy has accepted he isn't his father and shouldn't be, Belkar has accepted he can be more than a psycho murderer, V has accepted that their search for power was harmful and maybe they should chill the gently caress out. I think the endgame will be Redcloak helping the Order instead of someone taking over his mantle, because he'll accept there's a different way to do poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

dreadmojo posted:

I feel like we are close enough to the end to be able to have a stab at it, and it's enough of a conscious piece of pop literature that it will have one.

To me it's in people as objects, versus people as people. Consider redcloaks speech to tsukiko, when he had no reason to lie. Compare that to the Order.

You could probably break it down by character more easily than the work as a whole. OotS is an ensemble piece with a lot of moving parts.

V's is about the value of humility and flexibility, Belkar's is about the value of delaying your gratification, Roy's is about learning to trust the people closest to you (and to know when to let go of an argument that isn't doing you any good), Elan's got a lot tied up in there about the relationship between reality and narrative, Durkon's never really had an arc until just recently and his was mostly about tradition, Redcloak has a lot to say about nature vs. nurture as it applies to a fantasy setting...

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ImpAtom posted:

I think the central theme is learning from previous generations and also learning that previous generations are flawed and you can't discount them but also need to grow past them.

"Bad Dad" plays into this but especially with the reveal of the cycle of worlds and how the only way to fix it is something new..

This is my favorite answer because it’s also D&D relevant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the biggest theme is finding meaning in what you're doing. The adventure started out as a couple disjointed boilerplate quests, but now everybody's real invested in their grand quest to save the world. Similarly, every character has had a turning point where they start to care about what they're doing and about the people they're doing it with, and even the gods themselves have upped their game.

And running counter to all that is Miko, who only ever cared about her destiny and her values over others', and Xykon, who doesn't really care about anything. They never bothered to adapt to their circumstances rather than the other way around. That may also be the whole protagonist/antagonist divide too though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the biggest theme is finding meaning in what you're doing. The adventure started out as a couple disjointed boilerplate quests, but now everybody's real invested in their grand quest to save the world. Similarly, every character has had a turning point where they start to care about what they're doing and about the people they're doing it with, and even the gods themselves have upped their game.

And running counter to all that is Miko, who only ever cared about her destiny and her values over others', and Xykon, who doesn't really care about anything. They never bothered to adapt to their circumstances rather than the other way around. That may also be the whole protagonist/antagonist divide too though.

Yes, I think that's part of it for sure. I feel like this strip is key, somehow.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If we're looking for the 'single strip that defines oots' then it's the 'adapt or die' Belkar fever dream one. (On a train so no link).

Lots of moving parts and themes, but almost all the character arcs come down to 'how much are you willing to change to achieve you goals/do the right thing/whatever'?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i think there's probably a similar strip for each character, but it seems to always be some variant of who has power and what form that power takes - viz xykon's speech to V.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I don't think you can really pin one theme to it but the one that's most prominent to me is about how everyone's family Dynamics is pretty hosed. Tbh a large part of the comic seems to be about how severing is good and cool

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Both Durkon and O-Chul come from extremely functional, loving families, and look how they turned out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't think you can really pin one theme to it but the one that's most prominent to me is about how everyone's family Dynamics is pretty hosed. Tbh a large part of the comic seems to be about how severing is good and cool

Specifically dads

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Order of the Stick: Dads Bad, So What

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dad Bad, Character Traumatised is such a consistent theme of genre fiction that it's kind of fascinating. Like, what is causing this? Are dads, historically, unusually bad? Are the type of people who tend to write genre fiction also statistically more likely to have difficult relationships with their fathers?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Both Durkon and O-Chul come from extremely functional, loving families, and look how they turned out.

Well Durkon did use the love from his family as a weapon to defeat that vampire.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Specifically dads

Hey now, we don't have confirmation varsuvious is a dad or a mom

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hey now, we don't have confirmation varsuvious is a dad or a mom

We do because V did something monstrously lovely that affected their children like only a dad would so V dad so what

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The only one who had a good dad was Durkon because in stickworld the only good dad is a dead dad

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Dad Bad, Character Traumatised is such a consistent theme of genre fiction that it's kind of fascinating. Like, what is causing this? Are dads, historically, unusually bad? Are the type of people who tend to write genre fiction also statistically more likely to have difficult relationships with their fathers?

Happy well adjusted people just live ordinary boring lives.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Happy well adjusted people just live ordinary boring lives.

Right, but it's possible to have problems without having a bad dad. Why is Bad Dad so much more common than, for instance, Bad Mom?

I feel like it's an interesting question, if maybe an unanswerable one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Right, but it's possible to have problems without having a bad dad. Why is Bad Dad so much more common than, for instance, Bad Mom?

I feel like it's an interesting question, if maybe an unanswerable one.
Daddy issues is an easy thing to write and show

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The only one who had a good dad was Durkon because in stickworld the only good dad is a dead dad

False. Roy’s dad is dead and still lovely.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's not like bad moms don't exist in fiction, but their damage tends to be much more personal and affecting their children's self-esteem more than their worldview. V is very much a bad dad by genre standards, but you could make a case for Ian and Tarquin being bad moms.

The Question IRL posted:

Well Durkon did use the love from his family as a weapon to defeat that vampire.

And O-Chul personally reformed the Sapphire Guard because he viewed the monster races as sapient beings who were exactly as worthy of self-determination as anyone else. I mean, Hinjo helped, but we don't know anything about his parents and can only infer that they were also wholly decent since Shojo is also a certified bad dad.

Redcloak and Xykon are the only characters with established loving parents who turned out damaged. Redcloak's damage is explicitly tied to his family being slaughtered like cattle and having no authority figures in his life outside of The Dark One and Xykon, and Xykon only had a decent home life because Rich did not want him to have a tragic backstory.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's not like bad moms don't exist in fiction, but their damage tends to be much more personal and affecting their children's self-esteem more than their worldview. V is very much a bad dad by genre standards, but you could make a case for Ian and Tarquin being bad moms.

And O-Chul personally reformed the Sapphire Guard because he viewed the monster races as sapient beings who were exactly as worthy of self-determination as anyone else. I mean, Hinjo helped, but we don't know anything about his parents and can only infer that they were also wholly decent since Shojo is also a certified bad dad.

Redcloak and Xykon are the only characters with established loving parents who turned out damaged. Redcloak's damage is explicitly tied to his family being slaughtered like cattle and having no authority figures in his life outside of The Dark One and Xykon, and Xykon only had a decent home life because Rich did not want him to have a tragic backstory.

Doesn't Xykon kill not Professor X that his parents hire to help him? Then reanimated him as an Undead and have him kill his parents?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

dreadmojo posted:

Medieval high fantasy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

In today's culture, being a cis, straight male is considered offensive.

As is right and just

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Absent/bad dad are a part of adventure literature since the antiquity.
Now one of the oldest book on "adventuring" is the Odyssey and as much as don't think there is not a lot of chance the Illiad's Homer is female (too much love for a good old murder in that book), the Odyssey has always sounded to me like the kind of story a mother would tell her child to explain why dad isn't here.

The book start with the adventures of Telemachus(literally named "far from battle" because dad went to Troy just after he was born) who want to know what happened to dad because a bunch of dicks want to marry mom.

Then once he learned where dad is after visiting the most boring ruler in Greece, we follow the adventure of missing-but-still-alive Dad, who recount all his past 10 years of adventures, all of which are strangely symbolic of the kind of troubles most dads disappearing during a trip for the mystical pack of cigarette could have met, as imagined by/for a 5 years old kid:
_he crashed his ships into an island after a botched pirating attempt (aka "dad was kinda a rebel and died in a bike accident")
_he and his crew had an encounter with the Lotus-eaters (aka "dad is now a junky")
_he pissed some Cyclops and the cops gods are angry (aka "dad hosed with the wrong people and is on the run for at least 10 years")
_a greedy sailor opened the bag of winds and hosed the whole crew (aka "dad got into some business troubles")
_he encountered the cannibalistic Laestrygonians (aka "a serial killer/psychiatrist named Hannibal murdered dad")
_he met the wrong kind of "other woman", the kind who can turn men into pigs, if you know what i mean (aka "dad left mom for that total whore named Circe")
_he went to hell and back (aka "dad got a heart attack and is stuck in a coma state")
_he met the sirens (aka "dad then learned about bitcoins")
_he sailed between the monster Scylla and the whirlpool Charybdis (aka "dad then tried a career as a daredevil stuntman")
_he hosed with Zeus cattle (aka "dad hosed with the church")
_he was trapped on an island with a super nice Nymph(aka "dad left mom for that total super nice sex goddess named Calypso")

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's not like bad moms don't exist in fiction,
The thing is even in real life, terrible people can have a really good mother. If i had 1€ every-time i read an article about the wonderful saintly mother of a terrorist and how a new father figure ruined everything, i could buy a decent cheap car.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 22, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Android Blues posted:

Patriarchal culture values the father over the mother, and also values the male experience over the female one, so there are more movies about men trying to be their bad dads than there are about women trying to be their mean moms.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Traditionally, the father is the one with all the power in a family unit (and exerts the power of the family in its place in society) so anything that goes wrong with a family is his fault.

That being said, only Roy's the one with the truly dysfunctional relationship with his father. Haley's father genuinely tried to do what's best for her and tried to become a better person for her, and even though what he taught her to help her survive in a crime-infested hellhole messed her up later in life, they both reconciled in the end. Elan's father seems like he's genuinely trying to be the best father he can be, just he's also an evil man running an empire of suffering as well. Worst thing he ever did as a father was give Nale what threw a tantrum about wanting. Durkon had an alright father and a surplus of good father figures in his life.

Incidentally, when I did my reread, I'm surprised at how many characters died for keeps in the comic. The Linear Guild kobolds, Shojo, Miko, Therkla, Kubota, Tsukiko, Crystal, Brainy Pete, black dragon mom, resistance mustache paladin, Malack, Nale, Bozzok, and Minrah, assuming she sticks with Valhalla when Durkon comes back. It never really bugged me as much as character death normally does in stories, since it's not gratuitous or gory. Most of the characters get proper death scenes too, it's seldom just offhand.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Question IRL posted:

Doesn't Xykon kill not Professor X that his parents hire to help him? Then reanimated him as an Undead and have him kill his parents?

He did indeed. But right up until he murdered his own parents, he had a more stable home life than any OotS character who isn't Durkon or O-Chul.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I’m pretty sure the worst thing Tarquin ever did as a father was murder his son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And threatened to cut off the hand of his other son so he could make the arc into a Star Wars shout-out.