Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone here ever have a bluray disc not play? Not because it's scratched or anything, just won't play or show loaded?

I'm still using a PS3 as our main bluray/DVD player and tried to watch Deadpool 2 last night, and it wouldn't even load.. you could just here the drive stepper motor going back and forth, trying to read it, but nothing. Put in a different Bluray and it reads fine.

Not sure if the PS3 is on its way out of not, but since the other Bluray reads fine, I sort of doubt it. Anyone have that happen before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Would it have been possible to get an impact on it? If so that sounds like one of those jobs where you pay yourself in tools and experience.

Maybe, probably. If it was summer and I was free it wouldn't have been a problem. Now it's cold and I'm on a cold concrete floor and have to realize that I really don't have the time or energy for this right now. I'm going to phone a garage tomorrow and just swallow my pride (for now!).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Except ilkhan, because I don't want him to get dependent on handouts

:iceburn:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, I have an older Phillips BD player, and very rarely, a disc won't play properly. Apparently it's something to do with how the DRM is set up on later discs from some companies?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of working on cars. Tried to replace my dogbone gearbox mount. After unscrewing 35 screws/bolts just to remove the undertray I could see it. Looked simple. Boy was I wrong. The first bolt was so drat tight I had to push with my whole body. It got free, but still hard to spin. Ok.. without going any further I decided to see how hard the other one was to get so I won't waste any more effort. Ok Impossible. Fine. So I tightened the hard as gently caress to release bolt back up to spec, i.e. tight as hell.. and decided to just go to a mechanic.

...buuuuuut of course tight wasn't tight enough. Now the bad mounts is 10 times worse because the bolt isn't tight enough. Clunk hell.....

I hate when seemingly simple jobs just turn to poo poo. But at least the fact that the same symptoms got worse after messing with it confirms my diagnosis I guess.

What car is this. Also depending on which bolts you remove first it could make the others more difficult as the engine/gearbox might shift it's weight a bit and put tension on the other bolts

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's always :3: when my non-stem friends offer suggestions for my job search. "Hey my aunt said a company called lockheed martin has some job listings up, idk what they do but maybe give them a look?"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mindfuck of a day today.

I was doing some research on current receivers and their ability to self-equalize for room acoustics, since I've got a large family room with 7 in-wall speakers, but the sound is really crappy. No midrange at all, and I'm too lazy to play with EQ settings to dial it in.

As I was doing that, I started watching a documentary on Amazon Prime called "Plastic China," which consisted of a film crew embedding itself in a family-run plastic recycling operation, recycling imported plastic waste into pellets. The stark contrast in quality of life was something I was prepared for. The fact that there was an 11 year old girl torn between wanting to go to school (as her uncle was offering) and taking care of her siblings (as her father was demanding) simultaneously showed that girl in the middle of a generational education struggle that I see in the US, but also in the middle of abject poverty. Hurt my heart.

But yeah, I still have to find a receiver that'll give me some better midrange equalization for watching the TV.

:shrug:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

fridge corn posted:

What car is this. Also depending on which bolts you remove first it could make the others more difficult as the engine/gearbox might shift it's weight a bit and put tension on the other bolts

Alfa Romeo Giulietta (2011). I had the gearbox supported, tried different positions etc. The part that killed me was when I realized that I couldn't remove the bolt safely (i.e. without damaging it) without removing the exhaust. I also for some reason couldn't find the correct size spanner for the opposite nut etc. This time I'm going to listen to my gf and just have it done for me.

Famous last words were "Oh this looks much easier than on our other car".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

InitialDave posted:

Yes, I have an older Phillips BD player, and very rarely, a disc won't play properly. Apparently it's something to do with how the DRM is set up on later discs from some companies?

Since the PS3 still gets updates from Sony I was hoping that wouldn't happen, but to be fair it's the first time so idkwtf.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slidebite posted:

Anyone here ever have a bluray disc not play? Not because it's scratched or anything, just won't play or show loaded?

I'm still using a PS3 as our main bluray/DVD player and tried to watch Deadpool 2 last night, and it wouldn't even load.. you could just here the drive stepper motor going back and forth, trying to read it, but nothing. Put in a different Bluray and it reads fine.

Not sure if the PS3 is on its way out of not, but since the other Bluray reads fine, I sort of doubt it. Anyone have that happen before?

I've got a brandnew copy of DP2 that I am waiting for a quiet evening to watch on my PS3, so I will be right hacked off if this turns out to be an issue.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

meatpimp posted:

Mindfuck of a day today.

I was doing some research on current receivers and their ability to self-equalize for room acoustics, since I've got a large family room with 7 in-wall speakers, but the sound is really crappy. No midrange at all, and I'm too lazy to play with EQ settings to dial it in.

As I was doing that, I started watching a documentary on Amazon Prime called "Plastic China," which consisted of a film crew embedding itself in a family-run plastic recycling operation, recycling imported plastic waste into pellets. The stark contrast in quality of life was something I was prepared for. The fact that there was an 11 year old girl torn between wanting to go to school (as her uncle was offering) and taking care of her siblings (as her father was demanding) simultaneously showed that girl in the middle of a generational education struggle that I see in the US, but also in the middle of abject poverty. Hurt my heart.

But yeah, I still have to find a receiver that'll give me some better midrange equalization for watching the TV.

:shrug:

Any mid-level receiver that comes with a mic and the built in calibration functionality should do wonders, as long as it's not the cheapest mic available. A couple years ago I picked up a DENON AVR-X4100W 7.2 that I'm pretty happy with. Audyssey seems to be comprehensive... or are you going even more in depth?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Buck up your fuckin’ ideas man! Get a stolly or a scammell.

When I was at uni I knew a welsh girl who lived in a converted fire engine when back home in Wales. I have no idea why you would choose a fire engine over a bus...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

spog posted:

I've got a brandnew copy of DP2 that I am waiting for a quiet evening to watch on my PS3, so I will be right hacked off if this turns out to be an issue.

Tried it in my PC which also has a br drive and the disc isn't recognized either. I'm thinking the disc itself is hosed.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the thread to go into if I need help deciding on what car(s) I should consider or if I should keep my current car? I have a bunch of dumb ideas and requirements and need to bounce ideas off like minded people.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

net work error posted:

What's the thread to go into if I need help deciding on what car(s) I should consider or if I should keep my current car? I have a bunch of dumb ideas and requirements and need to bounce ideas off like minded people.

Go to hell. Ask hell.

This one?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Buck up your fuckin’ ideas man! Get a stolly or a scammell.

When I was at uni I knew a welsh girl who lived in a converted fire engine when back home in Wales. I have no idea why you would choose a fire engine over a bus...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-engine-partybus/401603374421?hash=item5d816d2d55:g:I64AAOSw27FbPRAQ:rk:4:pf:0

Not sure the Dance Pole goes well with the 'children's parties' tagline.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Any mid-level receiver that comes with a mic and the built in calibration functionality should do wonders, as long as it's not the cheapest mic available. A couple years ago I picked up a DENON AVR-X4100W 7.2 that I'm pretty happy with. Audyssey seems to be comprehensive... or are you going even more in depth?

Nothing in depth, just a basic parametric eq that will flatten out the response a bit... I'm looking mid-line, doesn't look like Denon updated their receivers this year, I'll probably look at Yamaha.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So I can get a 20K km old MR18 motor for the tiida(Versa) for $500, but it’s from an auto, so I’d have to reuse the flywheel and clutch from the current power train that’s done 200K kms. Can’t reuse the flywheel cos it’s dual mass. So it’s $1K for a clutch kit.

Or I can buy an entire 38K km old power train for $1K!

I’m not used to entire powertrains being cheaper than a camshaft!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

Mindfuck of a day today.

I spent about 2 minutes dialing in the EQ on my receiver and it sounded fantastic. Then I played with it for another hour or so to get it really as perfect as I could. Then a few weeks later I tweaked a few things to improve it still.

At least give it the two minutes, You could probably stop there and be satisfied. Unless you'd just rather have something new.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Went to House of Torment today.

5 stars, A+, would definitely do it again. Multiple times. Any Austin/SA area goons that like haunted houses, hit them up.

Also, Fastpass is worth it for house #1 (we didn't have it, and waited about an hour in line - right when they opened, even). #2 and #3 we didn't wait long at all. I'm sure that'll change next weekend.

Awesome props, great actors. Stupid me was laughing the whole way, but that's more because I know it's all fake (very loving well done fake in this case though), also because I'm so interested in how the props were made.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wife's out of town, kid's asleep, finally watched John Wick. gently caress me that was good.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Top Gear has changed its hosts again and no-one gives a poo poo.

(Rory is out)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If I won $2bn I would claim it anonymously to prevent ruining my life, and set up a charitable trust for 95% of it, because that's so much money I have no idea how to spend it and don't want to spend the rest of my life dodging people who want a piece of it.

Maybe splurge and buy the IP rights to a couple franchises I enjoy and fund a team to make a bespoke game or two that fit exactly what I want to play, and see if they sell.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
there was a decent post I saw on reddit (shocking, I know) that broke down how bad a big windfall is for most people and how to avoid some of those big pitfalls. Staying anonymous is a huge thing, as well as finding a lawyer from a big firm you've never had any contact with. Put all of the money into trusts, help those close to you but ONLY through a specific trust, don't listen to anyone's investment advice.

Personally I don't get people who say they'd go back to work. I've never had any job I've enjoyed enough for that to be an option. My idea of a good time is just travelling the world. Go see anything and everything. Also probably a 20 car garage with so many cars that are not worth the money I've sunk into them :v:

I'd have the nicest AW11, Delta S4, MA60 Supra, Citroën DS and so many kei cars.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mostly people don't know what to do with themselves outside of working and don't know another common form of human interaction. vOv

But poo poo, I'd go back to being a part time driver in a heartbeat. Parts discount yo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slothrop posted:

there was a decent post I saw on reddit (shocking, I know) that broke down how bad a big windfall is for most people and how to avoid some of those big pitfalls. Staying anonymous is a huge thing, as well as finding a lawyer from a big firm you've never had any contact with. Put all of the money into trusts, help those close to you but ONLY through a specific trust, don't listen to anyone's investment advice.
I think you mean this one:
https://amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb38xf

It's probably what I'd take as a basic approach, though I think I'd give half to my brother. Other than that, property in multiple countries, and take things from there.

I don't play though, I remember when the lottery was a new thing here, and I played it for a year straight when I turned 16, one ticket a week. Didn't win a single thing, stopped and haven't played since. I'm not against gambling as long as people don't get silly with it, but I find less appeal in it when there's a random outcome, rather than something you can try and assess or take an educated guess at.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Elmnt80 posted:

Mostly people don't know what to do with themselves outside of working and don't know another common form of human interaction. vOv

But poo poo, I'd go back to being a part time driver in a heartbeat. Parts discount yo.

Yeah. With that kind of money I could run a bakery again, be open 5 days a week, and not care that it doesn't really make money.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slothrop posted:

there was a decent post I saw on reddit (shocking, I know) that broke down how bad a big windfall is for most people and how to avoid some of those big pitfalls

Personally I don't get people who say they'd go back to work. I've never had any job I've enjoyed enough for that to be an option.

I think that for a lot of people, just setting up a trust that would pay you 4x your current salary would give you a lovely relaxed lifestyle, without ruining you as a person.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Morning everyone! Have any good plans for the week?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AdiaBOOtic posted:

I need a fuel pump replacement that requires the tank to be dropped. I filled the tank the day before the pump started failing.

I'm going to get a garage to do the work for me, but out of courtesy I want to run the tank down, but can I find an excuse for a long business journey? Can I buggery. The furthest meeting I could arrange is 3 miles away.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

spog posted:

I need a fuel pump replacement that requires the tank to be dropped. I filled the tank the day before the pump started failing.

I'm going to get a garage to do the work for me, but out of courtesy I want to run the tank down, but can I find an excuse for a long business journey? Can I buggery. The furthest meeting I could arrange is 3 miles away.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for donuts to me. It's in the name of selflessness, spog.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Apparently most of us are planning on winning the lotto and thusly have bad plans.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Swapping the engine in the better half’s tiida. That and driving tractors all day at work

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

spog posted:

Top Gear has changed its hosts again and no-one gives a poo poo.

(Rory is out)
Genuinely had no idea they still made this, thought they gave up like 2 years ago. That said, like most, doesn't matter.

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Got an email notice this past Friday my new company truck (which I will use personally) has shipped from the factory. I was hoping that might mean I'd get it the end of the week, but I suspect not until next week at the earliest if not week after.

Guy can always hope the stars align and it makes it on the early side.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AdiaBOOtic posted:

I wouldn't call them good plans but I need to get the headlight swapped on the wife's car at some point, hopefully during the weekend. It was cracked when we hit a coyote last year and the shop that replaced everything didn't notice it (me either) so it has condensation inside a good bit. I do not look forward to pulling the bumper just to get to the drat bolts. :effort:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

AdiaBOOtic posted:

A few friends and I are hitting up Arcade Club up Manchester way at the weekend. https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/

Looking forward to playing some classics and a bunch of weird Japanese music stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Signed up for 20 hours of OT this weekend!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Changing the rear differential fluid in dad's M3 today. It's got the original stuff in there and the clutches are chattering. They had a service bulletin that came out about 9 years ago on it, but we're just getting to putting in the updated fluid... at $100/liter and it takes 1.5 liters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
At a security conference today. Its too clean to be a good one, probably just sales pitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tomorrow is inspection day! I'm so nervous!

• Locked thread