Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

given what we know about human nature, you know someone, somewhere, attempted to either fight one or gently caress it

who here hasn't fought a four-legged animal at one time or other, I'm just saying that actually training them for war would really terrible news for who ever got to be on the receiving end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Here we go. Feds are investigating the Church again. Looks like someone finally had the will to respond to 'we'll investigate internally' with 'no, you don't get to cover this up again'.

quote:

On Thursday we learned that federal prosecutors in Pennsylvania have taken a step long-sought by survivors of clergy sexual abuse: They launched a federal investigation into the Catholic Church.

Seven of Pennsylvania's eight dioceses told CNN that they have received subpoenas and will cooperate with the probe. Separately, the diocese of Buffalo, New York, also received a subpoena regarding clergy sexual abuse in late May, according to a source familiar with the subpoena.

While the scope of the federal investigation is still unclear, groups like the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, which first asked the Department of Justice to launch a probe in 2003, called Thursday's news unprecedented.
There has never been a federal investigation of this size into the abuse of children by priests and the cover-up of those crimes by Catholic leaders, according to former law enforcement officials and experts on clergy misconduct in the United States.

"It is essential to involve federal resources to fully and finally get to the bottom of a scandal that has been going on for decades, and I say that both as a former federal prosecutor and a Catholic," said David Hickton, who was US Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania from 2010-2017.

"There is no excuse anymore for the church policing itself."

Dare I hope that this will light a fire under the powers that be?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
can’t help but think the motivation for the justice department isn’t exactly concern for the well-being of children victims

not under this administration

oh well, the investigation is still a good thing, even if the motivation is “gently caress papists”

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Given that this started off of the results of a state-level grand jury investigation, I suspect there's less 'gently caress papists' and more 'you cannot get your house in order and we cannot tolerate the bad actors' involved.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is less a "oh no catholic discrimination" thing and more a "i don't trust the federal government under trump to NOT be trying to gently caress anybody and everybody over who isn't a white evangelical"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A very fair point. :smith:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Senju Kannon posted:

can’t help but think the motivation for the justice department isn’t exactly concern for the well-being of children victims

not under this administration

oh well, the investigation is still a good thing, even if the motivation is “gently caress papists”

Ehh, I have no particular reason to believe EDPA is being deployed by anti-papist evangelicals. Note that at least one of the equivalent state offices is investigating Donald Trump, the man himself.

Careerists gonna careerist and afaik the FBI / DOJ don't have an institutional anti-Catholic bias.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if it was state-directed in pennsylvania the chances are very good that everyone involved's a catholic

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

if it was state-directed in pennsylvania the chances are very good that everyone involved's a catholic

Nearly all Catholics I know are so thoroughly fed up with the hierarchy that they’re welcoming this shakedown. Including many who otherwise gave the bishops the benefit of the doubt in the past.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Holy cow, my class is reenacting the Scopes-trial today, and I'm representing the prosecution! Gonna get mah W.J. Bryan on :getin:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i will admit my reaction is entirely based on a prior reaction i had to a conservative cartoonist talking about how horrible the philidelphia situation was with "priest molester" caricatures, and the fact that self-same cartoonist was a roy moore supporter. it was like "wait a minute, why do you have a good take now?!"

i just kinda feel the same about the whole executive branch (and judicial branch at this point) and can't help but feel like anything they do that's good is for the wrong reasons

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

Holy cow, my class is reenacting the Scopes-trial today, and I'm representing the prosecution! Gonna get mah W.J. Bryan on :getin:

The best part about the Scopes Trial is that I bet 99% of the population can't tell you:

1. Who the actual prosecuting attorney was

Or

2. Who, besides Darrow, was on the defense team.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Not Bryan? That's what my textbooks says, though.

Originally the prosecution consisted of the Hicks couple, friends of Scopes himself, then was taken over by Tom Stewart.

John Neal, a law professor from Knoxville, was on the defense as well. The rest I would have to look up to know.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Nearly all Catholics I know are so thoroughly fed up with the hierarchy that they’re welcoming this shakedown. Including many who otherwise gave the bishops the benefit of the doubt in the past.

Yes, the investigation seems to be universally welcomed by American Catholics off all types from 'the Pope is a communist paedophile, and only our glorious American investigators can bring him down' to 'we really need a full body cleansing at this point if we want to be part of Christ's Mystical Body'.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

Not Bryan? That's what my textbooks says, though.

Originally the prosecution consisted of the Hicks couple, friends of Scopes himself, then was taken over by Tom Stewart.

John Neal, a law professor from Knoxville, was on the defense as well. The rest I would have to look up to know.

Bryan was on the prosecution team, but yes, first the Hicks brothers and then Stewart led the prosecution.

And the comment wasnt addressed to you, so much as general bemusement about the fact that it seems like most people's only knowledge of the Scopes trial was the play Inherit the Wind.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Epicurius posted:

Bryan was on the prosecution team, but yes, first the Hicks brothers and then Stewart led the prosecution.

And the comment wasnt addressed to you, so much as general bemusement about the fact that it seems like most people's only knowledge of the Scopes trial was the play Inherit the Wind.

Does every US school district do that play in English class at some point during middle school or HS, or just where I grew up?

Gimme some of that ol' time curriculum?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

I don't think we ever did a production of it, but we definitely read it.

Of course, I went to a Catholic school, so probably not quite the same curriculum.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Spacewolf posted:

Does every US school district do that play in English class at some point during middle school or HS, or just where I grew up?

That and The Crucible.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's closer to you being in the US, but I'm pretty impressed with my advanced Religion class including such a long, firm overview of christian fundamentalism. We've been over everything from Puritans to various strains of seperatist protestantism, as well as evangelicalism and now it's the 2 waves of fundamentalism, currently dealing with the Scopes trial.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spacewolf posted:

No, but the Scopes trial itself is often covered in social studies -- in cursory detail, so stuff like the succession of who was prosecuting absolutely gets left out. (I think I may have heard that somewhere else at some point, but couldn't have told you so if you asked and definitely wasn't taught it in school.)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Senju Kannon posted:

i just kinda feel the same about the whole executive branch (and judicial branch at this point) and can't help but feel like anything they do that's good is for the wrong reasons

the justice department has a lot of career lawyers, it isn't all political appointees taking marching orders from Sessions

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

I wasn't gonna bring it up but literally half my extended family (possibly more, by population, although they're competing with awful Kentucky rednecks) is Pennsylvania German Catholics

they're everywhere up there

can't throw a rock without hearing someone pray to the saint of smiting people for chucking rocks in random directions

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

i will admit my reaction is entirely based on a prior reaction i had to a conservative cartoonist talking about how horrible the philidelphia situation was with "priest molester" caricatures, and the fact that self-same cartoonist was a roy moore supporter. it was like "wait a minute, why do you have a good take now?!"

consider reevaluating your opinion of the human beings who did their jobs under Bush, did their jobs under Obama, are doing their jobs under Trump, and will do their jobs under Sanders

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there are actually a lot of Lutherans in Pennsylvania

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there are actually a lot of Lutherans in Pennsylvania

pff, what are the odds that a heavily German area would have any meaningful number of Lutherans

alternatively, I think we have discovered why the federal DOJ office there has struck against the papists. At long last, the supporters of Protestantism's first and greatest shitposter shall have their revenge!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 23, 2018

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

consider reevaluating your opinion of the human beings who did their jobs under Bush, did their jobs under Obama, are doing their jobs under Trump, and will do their jobs under Sanders

isn't their agenda set by the person in charge of the DOJ? so like, people who were told to come up with arguments against LGBT rights were then told to come up with arguments for LGBT rights and then back to against LGBT rights?

kinda hard to not see those people as mindless drones at the beck and call of the administration tbh

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I wasn't gonna bring it up but literally half my extended family (possibly more, by population, although they're competing with awful Kentucky rednecks) is Pennsylvania German Catholics

they're everywhere up there

can't throw a rock without hearing someone pray to the saint of smiting people for chucking rocks in random directions
the rust belt is very VERY catholic and, behind that, orthodox

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

kinda hard to not see those people as mindless drones at the beck and call of the administration tbh
if the people who disagree with you are all nazis and the people who just do their jobs are mindless drones, i guess the only acceptable people to even get within spitting distance of power are people who have exactly your agenda and carry it out because and only because of a strong emotion. i suppose i'm lucky you believe this, since it automatically hobbles you from getting any real power and you have spoken before about how fantastic it would be to go after me with a baseball bat

Senju Kannon posted:

isn't their agenda set by the person in charge of the DOJ?
no

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
actually my view on power is that there should be no positions of power

because, once again, i'm an anarchist

also the dude you all pointed to as the reason why i apparently "call everyone i disagree with fascist" (still not true, i disagree with clinton and i call her a neoliberal piece of poo poo who would have no problem WORKING with fascists but would only be a fascist in the sense that moving further to the right in order to avoid the left gaining any sort of political traction is what neoliberals do) is someone YOU implied was a fascist because the groups he hangs around are themselves full of fascists, so like... where the gently caress do you get "i call everyone i disagree with" a fascist unless for some reason you think open white supremacists in the republican party are somehow not fascist, in which case i think you have brain worms from all those medieval german texts you read and fantasize about as though you'd be someone important and not a peasant who would have been married off to some poor dude and died in childbirth regardless of how you feel about your gender, or become a nun if you were lucky enough to be born in the catholic part of europe that actually allowed people assigned female at birth to not be forced into loveless marriages that often ended, again, with people dying in childbirth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wouldn't go after you with a baseball bat because your actual political ideology is incredibly boring and absolutely irrelevant. you're a monarchist with classical liberal attitudes about civil rights and decorum, which in global terms basically means "irrelevant." you would know this, if you weren't too busy fantasizing about riding a horse into battle while making GBS threads yourself to death because on a long march you ran out of beer and had to drink water from a stream that hadn't been properly treated because people only knew about that fairly recently

your political philosophy is less a philosophy and more a fetish for powdered wigs and calligraphy. new york times opinion columnists have more clout than anyone with your political ideas has. the failsons of nyt opinion columnists are more relevant to political debate than your political ideas. if you were ever to try to run for an election you would be lucky if a reporter decided to write a human interest story on the crazy person in sans coulottes running for city council

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
again, forgive me if i'm not more open to the idea that the grunts working in the federal government aren't answerable to the faults of the people in charge when the trump administration is trying its best to redefine "gender" legally, to the point where my gender change could, in their ideal situation, be changed back to male

if i thought i was having a hard time finding work now...

so yeah i don't give a gently caress about the federal cogs who make the government work, when the government is trying to do some loving horrible poo poo. and yeah, this one time it seems like people are doing a Good Thing for seemingly the reason that they should do something Good about the catholic sex abuse crisis. forgive me for being worried that the government of trump might only be allowing this to happen because they legitimately only care about catholic in terms of pro-life poo poo and the second roe v wade gets overturned we'll likely see a return to "fuckin papists" in terms of political rhetoric.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Senju, I get that you feel passionately about this, but... okay, yes, there's totally some anti-Catholicism out there, especially among Evangelicals, but people have presented you with reasons why that's probably not what's going on this time. We did done hosed up when it comes to handling children and young men abused by priests, brothers, and nuns, and whether or not the folks who did the denying and lying and hiding of abusers have repented, whether or not they've done sufficient penance or been purified in Purgatory, there's still temporal consequences to having sinned that grotesquely, and those consequences are coming home to roost.

But even if it were - even if you were totally right that this was motivated by "lol we get to fry some mackerel-snappers!! let's direct our soulless drones to do some good ol' persecutin'!!" - attacking HEY GUNS like that is completely beyond the pale. Politics conversations in this thread seem to be whatever the Buddhist equivalent of a near occasion of sin is, for you; I get that you're afraid because you're more vulnerable than many of us, but that doesn't excuse attacking somebody else.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
first of all, i got attacked first. second of all, i was very clear that i did not think it was solely motivated by that, i was just worried that it wasn't entirely altruistic because of this administration's glaring attempts at discrimination. like if i never said "yeah okay probably not in this case" then yeah, okay, probably not in this case but i don't think a healthy amount of caution that this administration might add more discrimination in their agenda (tho i should have realized it'd only be motivated by discrimination if it was the south west and not pennsylvania) is a bad thing. especially since, among right wing pundits, the anti-catholic sentiment is boiling beneath the surface anyway.

let me reiterate; yeah, probably not in this case, but forgive me if i don't think any good thing the administration and by extension the justice department does is motivated by bad intentions

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Last round of chemo today :toot:

Praying again for the thread's intentions, let me know what you got.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Pershing posted:

That's great!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

My prayers for your swift and full recovery. God bless you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Good luck Pershing! Chuck in a prayer for my mum's health if you please, she's not been well.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
And my grandmother. 88 years old, fell and cracked her pelvis yesterday. :(

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Pershing posted:

These are from "A Prayer Book for Australia" which came (via several editions) from the Book of Common Prayer. [Orthodox chat: the Morning Prayers First Order concludes with a prayer of John Crysostom ["you have promised our prayers are heard when two or three gather etc"]):

Almighty God, giver of life and health,

Hear our prayers for Pershing,

That by your blessing on [them] and those who minister to [them],

[They] may be restored to health of body and mind 

According to your will,

And in the prescence of your people give thanks to you;

Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 

Lord and heavenly Father,

You strengthen those who suffer in body, mind and spirit;

Lay your healing hands on Pershing,

That [they] may be restored to health,

And show [their] thankfulness with us,

And be set free to serve you;

Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

^^^^ Thank you.

US Bishops conference this year now a retreat at the Pope's 'request'

He's sending the Preacher of The Papal Household to run the retreat...a Capuchin who sounds like a real hoot.